Home Topics AZ Atopic dermatitis
Author: Dr Amy Stanway, Department of Dermatology, Waikato Hospital, Hamilton, New Zealand, February 2004.
Atopic dermatitis is a chronic, itchy skin condition that is very common in children but may occur at any age. It is also known as eczema and atopic eczema, and was formerly known as Besnier prurigo. It is the most common form of dermatitis.
Atopic dermatitis usually occurs in people who have an ‘atopic tendency’. This means they may develop any or all of three closely linked conditions; atopic dermatitis, asthma and hay fever (allergic rhinitis). Often these conditions run within families with a parent, child or sibling also affected. A family history of asthma, eczema or hay fever is particularly useful in diagnosing atopic dermatitis in infants.
Atopic dermatitis arises because of a complex interaction of genetic and environmental factors. These include defects in skin barrier function making the skin more susceptible to irritation by soap and other contact irritants, the weather, temperature and non-specific triggers: see Causes of atopic dermatitis.
There is quite a variation in the appearance of atopic dermatitis between individuals. From time to time, most people have acute flares with inflamed, red, sometimes blistered and weepy patches. In between flares, the skin may appear normal or suffer from chronic eczema with dry, thickened and itchy areas.
The presence of infection or an additional skin condition, the creams applied, the age of the person, their ethnic origin and other factors can alter the way eczema looks and feels.
There are however some general patterns to where the eczema is found on the body according to the age of the affected person.
See more images of atopic dermatitisand flexural dermatitis…
Atopic dermatitis affects 1520% of children but is much less common in adults. It is impossible to predict whether eczema will improve by itself or not in an individual. Sensitive skin persists life-long.A meta-analysis including over 110,000 subjects found that 20% of children with atopic dermatitis still had persistent disease 8 years later. Fewer than 5% had persistent disease 20 years later. Children who developed AD before the age of 2 had a much lower risk of persistent disease than those who developed AD later in childhood or during adolescence.
It is unusual for an infant to be affected with atopic dermatitis before the age of four months but they may suffer from infantile seborrhoeic dermatitis or other rashes prior to this. The onset of atopic dermatitis is usually before two years of age although it can manifest itself in older people for the first time.
Atopic dermatitis is often worst between the ages of two and four but it generally improves after this and may clear altogether by the teens.
Certain occupations such as farming, hairdressing, domestic and industrial cleaning, domestic duties and care-giving expose the skin to various irritants and, sometimes, allergens. This aggravates atopic dermatitis. It is wise to bear this in mind when considering career options it is usually easier to choose a more suitable occupation from the outset than to change it later.
Treatment of atopic dermatitismay be required for many months and possibly years.
It nearly always requires:
In some cases, management may also include one of more of the following:
Longstanding and severe eczema may be treated with an immunosuppressive agent.
Clinical trials of biologics are promising:
Would you like to receive our dermatology updates by email?
We’re seeking high-quality photos of skin diseases.
SUBMIT A PHOTO
Watch DermNet’s proposal to create a ‘Skin Disease Image Recognition Tool’ – winner of the 2017 ‘Clinicians’ Challenge Active Award’ by the NZ Ministry of Health and HiNZ.
See the rest here:
Atopic dermatitis | DermNet New Zealand
- Eczema: Symptoms, treatment, and causes - August 14th, 2018
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema) - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - August 14th, 2018
- Eczema Treatment, Home Remedies, and Causes - August 14th, 2018
- Eczema Types, Treatment, Home Remedies & Symptoms - August 14th, 2018
- Eczema Guide: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment Options - August 14th, 2018
- National Eczema Association | Your Online Eczema Resource - August 14th, 2018
- Eczema Types, Treatment, Home Remedies & Symptoms - August 13th, 2018
- Eczema: Definition, Causes, Treatments, and Pictures - August 13th, 2018
- Eczema: Symptoms, treatment, and causes - August 13th, 2018
- Eczema Treatment, Home Remedies, and Causes - August 9th, 2018
- Eczema Guide: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment Options - August 9th, 2018
- Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment - August 7th, 2018
- How I Treated My Eczema - Read My Story - August 7th, 2018
- Eczema - KidsHealth - August 7th, 2018
- The 3 Stages of Eczema and Their Causes - August 6th, 2018
- Children And Eczema - ACAAI Public Website - August 6th, 2018
- Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis) | Symptoms & Treatment | ACAAI ... - August 6th, 2018
- Eczema | Christiane Northrup, M.D. - August 6th, 2018
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema) - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - August 6th, 2018
- Dermatitis - Wikipedia - August 3rd, 2018
- List of Eczema Medications (156 Compared) - Drugs.com - August 2nd, 2018
- Targeting Eczema Triggers | Everyday Health - August 2nd, 2018
- Vitamin D and eczema - August 2nd, 2018
- Dyshidrotic eczema | American Academy of Dermatology - July 30th, 2018
- Eczema - kidshealth.org - July 30th, 2018
- Eczema Symptoms & Causes | National Eczema Association - July 29th, 2018
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema) - Diagnosis and treatment - Mayo ... - July 27th, 2018
- What is eczema? | American Academy of Dermatology - July 27th, 2018
- What is Eczema? | NEOSPORIN - July 27th, 2018
- Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis) | AAFA.org - July 24th, 2018
- Eczema herpeticum: Symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment - July 24th, 2018
- Atopic dermatitis - Wikipedia - July 24th, 2018
- Our Miracle Treatment for Eczema - The Hill Hangout - July 15th, 2018
- Eczema: The Autoimmune Disease Everyone Seems To Be ... - July 15th, 2018
- Home Remedies for Eczema - Treatment & Cure - Natural ... - July 8th, 2018
- No more sleepless nights! How to stop itchy eczema - July 8th, 2018
- DIY Homemade Eczema Cream - Kula Mama - July 8th, 2018
- Psoriasis vs. eczema: Differences in symptoms and treatment - July 4th, 2018
- Make Your Own Eczema Cream - Dr. Axe - July 3rd, 2018
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema) - Symptoms and causes - June 23rd, 2018
- 13 Good Foods for Eczema Sufferers - Top Eczema Treatments - June 16th, 2018
- Eczema on face: Best creams and what to avoid - June 16th, 2018
- Atopic dermatitis | American Academy of Dermatology - June 9th, 2018
- Thinking Moms Guide to Red Flags Eczema - June 9th, 2018
- Childhood Eczema How To Treat Eczema In Children - June 9th, 2018
- Dermatitis - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - May 30th, 2018
- Eczema Causes What Causes Eczema? - May 21st, 2018
- Eczema On Face Facial Eczema Treatment - May 21st, 2018
- 10 Home Remedies for Eczema - eczema.net - May 11th, 2018
- Eczema Overview, Symptoms and Treatment - Health.com - May 3rd, 2018
- Eczema Healing with Natural Remedies - April 22nd, 2018
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema) - Mayo Clinic - April 12th, 2018
- My Struggle With Eye Eczema & My Miracle Cream. | Lux Life ... - April 7th, 2018
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema) - Diagnosis and treatment ... - March 31st, 2018
- Eczema Treatment, Home Remedies, and Causes - eMedicineHealth - March 21st, 2018
- Eczema | EVA Homoeopathy - March 7th, 2018
- Eczema - Canadian Dermatology Association - March 6th, 2018
- Eczema & Dermatitis - Dr. Adrian Morris | Allergy Clinic - March 5th, 2018
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema) Symptoms - Mayo Clinic - February 5th, 2018
- Eczema - Atopic Dermatitis | Eczema Treatment & Symptoms - January 28th, 2018
- Eczema | University of Maryland Medical Center - December 25th, 2017
- Eczema Information from Drugs.com - December 20th, 2017
- About Eczema : National Eczema Society - December 18th, 2017
- eczema.net - December 13th, 2017
- Topical Steroids : National Eczema Society - December 10th, 2017
- Atopic Dermatitis & Eczema - American Academy of Dermatology - December 3rd, 2017
- List of Eczema Medications (162 Compared) - Drugs.com - December 1st, 2017
- eczema in children - ACAAI Public Website - December 1st, 2017
- How To Prevent Eczema Flare-Ups In Winter | Women's Health - December 1st, 2017
- Eczema Facts Eczema Association of Australasia Inc - December 1st, 2017
- 3 Natural Remedies for Eczema - verywell.com - December 1st, 2017
- Eczema - Medical Disability Guidelines - December 1st, 2017
- How to Heal Eczema Naturally Through Diet - December 1st, 2017
- Eczema - British Skin Foundation - December 1st, 2017
- 10 Home Remedies for Eczema - Health - December 1st, 2017
- DYSHIDROTIC ECZEMA - Eczema Treatment - December 1st, 2017
- Vitamin D Council | Vitamin D and eczema - December 1st, 2017
- eczema, itchy skin - allergy - December 1st, 2017
- Dermatitis (eczema). DermNet NZ - DermNet New Zealand - December 1st, 2017
- AbbVie's positive eczema study drags down Regeneron's shares - Reuters - September 7th, 2017