No lab test is needed to identify atopic dermatitis (eczema). Your doctor will likely make a diagnosis by examining your skin and reviewing your medical history. He or she may also use patch testing or other tests to rule out other skin diseases or identify conditions that accompany your eczema.
If you suspect a certain food caused your child’s rash, tell the doctor and ask about identifying potential food allergies.
Atopic dermatitis can be persistent. You may need to try various treatments over months or years to control it. And even if treatment is successful, signs and symptoms may return (flare).
It’s important to recognize the condition early so that you can start treatment. If regular moisturizing and other self-care steps don’t help, your doctor may suggest one or more of the following treatments:
Creams that control itching and help repair the skin. Your doctor may prescribe a corticosteroid cream or ointment. Apply it as directed, after you moisturize. Overuse of this drug may cause side effects, including thinning skin.
Other creams containing drugs called calcineurin inhibitors such as tacrolimus (Protopic) and pimecrolimus (Elidel) affect your immune system. They are used by people older than age 2 to help control the skin reaction. Apply it as directed, after you moisturize. Avoid strong sunlight when using these products.
These drugs have a black box warning about a potential risk of cancer. But the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology has concluded that the risk-to-benefit ratios of topical pimecrolimus and tacrolimus are similar to those of most other conventional treatments of persistent eczema and that the data don’t support the use of the black box warning.
Light therapy. This treatment is used for people who either don’t get better with topical treatments or who rapidly flare again after treatment. The simplest form of light therapy (phototherapy) involves exposing the skin to controlled amounts of natural sunlight. Other forms use artificial ultraviolet A (UVA) and narrow band ultraviolet B (UVB) either alone or with medications.
Though effective, long-term light therapy has harmful effects, including premature skin aging and an increased risk of skin cancer. For these reasons, phototherapy is less commonly used in young children and not given to infants. Talk with your doctor about the pros and cons of light therapy.
Treatment for eczema in babies (infantile eczema) includes:
See your baby’s doctor if these measures don’t improve the rash or if the rash looks infected. Your baby may need a prescription medication to control the rash or to treat an infection. Your doctor may also recommend an oral antihistamine to help lessen the itch and to cause drowsiness, which may be helpful for nighttime itching and discomfort.
Explore Mayo Clinic studies testing new treatments, interventions and tests as a means to prevent, detect, treat or manage this disease.
To help reduce itching and soothe inflamed skin, try these self-care measures:
Atopic dermatitis can be especially stressful, frustrating or embarrassing for adolescents and young adults. It can disrupt their sleep and even lead to depression. And close family members of people with this condition may face financial, social and emotional problems.
Seek psychological support from counselors, support groups, friends or family.
You’re likely to start by seeing your family or primary care doctor. But in some cases when you call to set up an appointment, you may be referred to a specialist in skin diseases (dermatologist).
Here’s some information to help you prepare for your appointment.
For atopic dermatitis, some basic questions you might ask your doctor include:
Your doctor is likely to ask you several questions, including:
Go here to see the original:
Atopic dermatitis (eczema) – Diagnosis and treatment …
- Eczema Solution | Emuaid - October 13th, 2018
- Eczema Symptoms & Causes | National Eczema Association - October 13th, 2018
- Eczema Treatment, Home Remedies, and Causes - October 13th, 2018
- Eczema Types, Treatment, Home Remedies & Symptoms - October 13th, 2018
- Eczema - KidsHealth - October 13th, 2018
- Eczema Treatment: 13 Home Remedies for Eczema - Dr. Axe - October 13th, 2018
- Dermatitis - Wikipedia - October 12th, 2018
- 11 Symptoms of Eczema | Daily Natural Remedies - October 12th, 2018
- eczema.net - October 12th, 2018
- Atopic dermatitis | DermNet New Zealand - October 12th, 2018
- Eczema Symptoms & Signs | NEOSPORIN - October 12th, 2018
- Top Eczema Support Supplements - October 10th, 2018
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema) - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - October 10th, 2018
- Eczema | Definition of Eczema by Merriam-Webster - October 10th, 2018
- Dyshidrotic eczema | American Academy of Dermatology - October 10th, 2018
- Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis) | AAFA.org - October 10th, 2018
- Eczema Guide: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment Options - October 10th, 2018
- Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment - October 10th, 2018
- Targeting Eczema Triggers | Everyday Health - October 10th, 2018
- Understanding Eczema | Eczema Exposed - October 10th, 2018
- Eczema: Definition, Causes, Treatments, and Pictures - October 10th, 2018
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema) - Symptoms and causes - October 5th, 2018
- Home Remedies for Eczema - Treatment & Cure - Natural ... - October 1st, 2018
- Eczema Causes What Causes Eczema? - October 1st, 2018
- How to get rid of weeping eczema - Flawless Program - October 1st, 2018
- What is Eczema? | NEOSPORIN - September 25th, 2018
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema) - Diagnosis and treatment - Mayo ... - September 25th, 2018
- What is eczema? | American Academy of Dermatology - September 25th, 2018
- Atopic Dermatitis (Eczema): Symptoms, Diagnosis ... - WebMD - September 6th, 2018
- Best Eczema Hand Cream Review: My Five Picks - September 4th, 2018
- Atopic dermatitis - Wikipedia - September 1st, 2018
- Eczema | Christiane Northrup, M.D. - August 27th, 2018
- Eczemaderm | Eczema Treatment Cream | Excema - August 27th, 2018
- Eczema Treatments for Kids - verywellhealth.com - August 19th, 2018
- How I Treated My Eczema - Read My Story - August 7th, 2018
- The 3 Stages of Eczema and Their Causes - August 6th, 2018
- Children And Eczema - ACAAI Public Website - August 6th, 2018
- Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis) | Symptoms & Treatment | ACAAI ... - August 6th, 2018
- List of Eczema Medications (156 Compared) - Drugs.com - August 2nd, 2018
- Vitamin D and eczema - August 2nd, 2018
- Eczema - kidshealth.org - July 30th, 2018
- Eczema herpeticum: Symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment - July 24th, 2018
- Our Miracle Treatment for Eczema - The Hill Hangout - July 15th, 2018
- Eczema: The Autoimmune Disease Everyone Seems To Be ... - July 15th, 2018
- No more sleepless nights! How to stop itchy eczema - July 8th, 2018
- DIY Homemade Eczema Cream - Kula Mama - July 8th, 2018
- Make Your Own Eczema Cream - Dr. Axe - July 3rd, 2018
- 13 Good Foods for Eczema Sufferers - Top Eczema Treatments - June 16th, 2018
- Eczema on face: Best creams and what to avoid - June 16th, 2018
- Atopic dermatitis | American Academy of Dermatology - June 9th, 2018
- Thinking Moms Guide to Red Flags Eczema - June 9th, 2018
- Childhood Eczema How To Treat Eczema In Children - June 9th, 2018
- Dermatitis - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - May 30th, 2018
- Eczema On Face Facial Eczema Treatment - May 21st, 2018
- 10 Home Remedies for Eczema - eczema.net - May 11th, 2018
- Eczema Overview, Symptoms and Treatment - Health.com - May 3rd, 2018
- Eczema Healing with Natural Remedies - April 22nd, 2018
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema) - Mayo Clinic - April 12th, 2018
- My Struggle With Eye Eczema & My Miracle Cream. | Lux Life ... - April 7th, 2018
- Eczema Treatment, Home Remedies, and Causes - eMedicineHealth - March 21st, 2018
- Eczema | EVA Homoeopathy - March 7th, 2018
- Eczema - Canadian Dermatology Association - March 6th, 2018
- Eczema & Dermatitis - Dr. Adrian Morris | Allergy Clinic - March 5th, 2018
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema) Symptoms - Mayo Clinic - February 5th, 2018
- Eczema - Atopic Dermatitis | Eczema Treatment & Symptoms - January 28th, 2018
- Eczema | University of Maryland Medical Center - December 25th, 2017
- Eczema Information from Drugs.com - December 20th, 2017
- About Eczema : National Eczema Society - December 18th, 2017
- Topical Steroids : National Eczema Society - December 10th, 2017
- Atopic Dermatitis & Eczema - American Academy of Dermatology - December 3rd, 2017
- List of Eczema Medications (162 Compared) - Drugs.com - December 1st, 2017
- eczema in children - ACAAI Public Website - December 1st, 2017
- How To Prevent Eczema Flare-Ups In Winter | Women's Health - December 1st, 2017
- Eczema Facts Eczema Association of Australasia Inc - December 1st, 2017
- 3 Natural Remedies for Eczema - verywell.com - December 1st, 2017
- Eczema - Medical Disability Guidelines - December 1st, 2017
- How to Heal Eczema Naturally Through Diet - December 1st, 2017
- Eczema - British Skin Foundation - December 1st, 2017
- 10 Home Remedies for Eczema - Health - December 1st, 2017
- DYSHIDROTIC ECZEMA - Eczema Treatment - December 1st, 2017