Author: Dr Amy Stanway, Department of Dermatology, Waikato Hospital, Hamilton, New Zealand, February 2004.
Atopic dermatitis is a chronic, itchy skin condition that is very common in children but may occur at any age. It is also known as eczema and atopic eczema, and was formerly known as Besnier prurigo. It is the most common form of dermatitis.
Atopic dermatitis usually occurs in people who have an 'atopic tendency'. This means they may develop any or all of three closely linked conditions; atopic dermatitis, asthma and hay fever (allergic rhinitis). Often these conditions run within families with a parent, child or sibling also affected. A family history of asthma, eczema or hay fever is particularly useful in diagnosing atopic dermatitis in infants.
Atopic dermatitis arises because of a complex interaction of genetic and environmental factors. These include defects in skin barrier function making the skin more susceptible to irritation by soap and other contact irritants, the weather, temperature and non-specific triggers: see Causes of atopic dermatitis.
There is quite a variation in the appearance of atopic dermatitis between individuals. From time to time, most people have acute flares with inflamed, red, sometimes blistered and weepy patches. In between flares, the skin may appear normal or suffer from chronic eczema with dry, thickened and itchy areas.
The presence of infection or an additional skin condition, the creams applied, the age of the person, their ethnic origin and other factors can alter the way eczema looks and feels.
There are however some general patterns to where the eczema is found on the body according to the age of the affected person.
See more images of atopic dermatitisand flexural dermatitis...
Atopic dermatitis affects 1520% of children but is much less common in adults. It is impossible to predict whether eczema will improve by itself or not in an individual. Sensitive skin persists life-long.A meta-analysis including over 110,000 subjects found that 20% of children with atopic dermatitis still had persistent disease 8 years later. Fewer than 5% had persistent disease 20 years later. Children who developed AD before the age of 2 had a much lower risk of persistent disease than those who developed AD later in childhood or during adolescence.
It is unusual for an infant to be affected with atopic dermatitis before the age of four months but they may suffer from infantile seborrhoeic dermatitis or other rashes prior to this. The onset of atopic dermatitis is usually before two years of age although it can manifest itself in older people for the first time.
Atopic dermatitis is often worst between the ages of two and four but it generally improves after this and may clear altogether by the teens.
Certain occupations such as farming, hairdressing, domestic and industrial cleaning, domestic duties and care-giving expose the skin to various irritants and, sometimes, allergens. This aggravates atopic dermatitis. It is wise to bear this in mind when considering career options it is usually easier to choose a more suitable occupation from the outset than to change it later.
Treatment of atopic dermatitismay be required for many months and possibly years.
It nearly always requires:
In some cases, management may also include one of more of the following:
Longstanding and severe eczema may be treated with an immunosuppressive agent.
Clinical trials of biologics are promising:
Did you find this page useful? We want to continue to deliver accurate dermatological information to health professionals and their patients for free. Funding goes towards creating articles for DermNet, supporting researchers, and improving dermatological knowledge around the world.
- Evidence Growing That Eczema Itch More Than Skin Deep - Medscape - November 3rd, 2019
- Itchy Skin Conditions And Mental Health Are Linked, And We Need to Talk About It - ScienceAlert - November 3rd, 2019
- Ive Tried Hundreds Of Sensitive Skin Products Heres What I Recommend - Refinery29 - November 3rd, 2019
- This Creepy Life-Sized Doll Is a Warning About What Office Life Is Doing to Us - ScienceAlert - November 3rd, 2019
- Effectiveness of clinical decision support tools on pediatrician adherence to peanut allergy prevention guidelines - 2 Minute Medicine - November 3rd, 2019
- Eczema On The Face: How To Care For Your Skin Naturally - mindbodygreen.com - October 30th, 2019
- Best Eczema Makeup According to Dermatologists and Other Beauty Pros - STYLECASTER - October 30th, 2019
- How to keep your skin healthy this winter - Post Register - October 30th, 2019
- Norovirus to shigella and eczema the ultimate guide to protect your kids from winter bugs - The Sun - October 30th, 2019
- International Day of the Girl Child, Introducing 'Eiko Kitagawa' empowering woman from Japan - Thrive Global - October 30th, 2019
- A Terrifying Glimpse At What Office Workers Could Look Like In 20 Years - IFLScience - October 30th, 2019
- Eczema Awareness Month 2019 - Everyday Health - October 20th, 2019
- Chronic Itch: New Therapy, Complexities - MedPage Today - October 20th, 2019
- How mould and damp in your home affects your body and health - and what to do about it - MyLondon - October 20th, 2019
- Eczema Skin-Care Products Market Growth, Competition landscape, Sales, Revenue, Distributors and Forecast till 2025 - Online News Guru - October 20th, 2019
- 'I Tried Wet Wrap Therapy for Eczema, and It Helped Reset My Skin' - Everyday Health - October 17th, 2019
- Meet the Northern Ireland people battling eczema who are finally comfortable in their own skin - Belfast Telegraph - October 17th, 2019
- Our top scientists and the discovery that could revolutionise cancer, eczema treatment - The Age - October 17th, 2019
- Eczema Body Lotions That Will Save Your Winter Skin - STYLECASTER - October 17th, 2019
- Bausch Health Announces Updated Health Canada Safety Information for ELIDEL - Canada NewsWire - October 17th, 2019
- Study: Babies who are heavier at birth may have a higher risk of childhood allergies - Malay Mail - October 17th, 2019
- What Are the Benefits of Turmeric? - The New York Times - October 17th, 2019
- Give your Eczema-prone skin twice the nourishment it deserves with the help of Aveenos Dermexa - Business Mirror - October 17th, 2019
- Should You Try an Elimination Diet to Determine the Root Cause of Eczema? - Everyday Health - October 11th, 2019
- Long-Term Dupilumab Safe, Effective in Adolescents with Atopic Dermatitis - Pharmacy Times - October 11th, 2019
- Eating Fish in Early Childhood Even Just Once a Week Reduces Risk of Disease - SciTechDaily - October 11th, 2019
- Breath of fresh heir: how Succession became the must-watch TV of the year - The Guardian - October 11th, 2019
- Feed your kids fish if you want to reduce their risk of eczema & asthma - TimesLIVE - October 10th, 2019
- Dermatologist shares top tips for treating eczema - and busts myths about painful skin condition - Heart - October 10th, 2019
- Arcutis Announces Enrollment of Last Patient in Phase 2a Clinical Trial of ARQ-151 Cream as a Potential Topical Treatment for Atopic Dermatitis -... - October 10th, 2019
- LEO Pharma to Highlight Data at 28th Congress of the European Academy of Dermatology (EADV) - Yahoo Finance - October 10th, 2019
- Inside the First-Ever Skin Folks Event: A Series Aiming To Build a More Inclusive Skincare Community - Vogue - October 10th, 2019
- CBS4s Frances Wang Reveals Personal & Painful Skin Condition To Help Others - CBS Miami - October 4th, 2019
- Understanding a Social Movement and Its Goals of Social Change - Thrive Global - October 4th, 2019
- How to Tweak Your Skin-Care Routine for Fall, Depending on Your Skin Type - Everyday Health - October 4th, 2019
- Eczema in kids: What parents can do to calm the itch - WTOP - October 2nd, 2019
- Pfizer's JAK inhibitor hits the mark in another phase 3 eczema trial - FierceBiotech - October 2nd, 2019
- How treating food allergies and AD has changed - Contemporary Pediatrics - October 2nd, 2019
- Over 500 prisoners infected with eczema in Jhapa jail - Himalayan Times - October 2nd, 2019
- Dr. Pimple Popper uses this affordable CeraVe healing ointment - TODAY - October 2nd, 2019
- Doctor: Medication adherence is key to preventing allergy symptoms - KSHB - October 2nd, 2019
- How to treat eczema - INSIDER - March 27th, 2019
- Atopic eczema symptoms and treatments - NHS inform - March 27th, 2019
- About Eczema - Eczema Society Of Canada - March 27th, 2019
- Discoid eczema | DermNet NZ - March 27th, 2019
- Eczema - information on daily management & care - Irish Skin ... - March 27th, 2019
- 7 Natural Remedies for Eczema | Wellness Mama - March 26th, 2019
- Eczema on Face: How to Treat Eczema Inflammation? - March 26th, 2019
- Treating Asthma and Eczema With Plant-Based Diets - Care2 - March 4th, 2019
- Healing Eczema and Psoriasis Naturally | Care2 Healthy Living - March 4th, 2019
- petition: Mirena Awareness Part II - March 4th, 2019
- 20 Great Uses For Tea Tree Oil | Care2 Healthy Living - March 4th, 2019
- How to Naturally Heal Eyelid Eczema | It's an Itchy Little World - January 5th, 2019
- Dyshidrosis - Wikipedia - January 5th, 2019
- The Fastest Way To Treat Eczema Symptoms, According To ... - January 1st, 2019
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema) - Diagnosis and treatment - Mayo ... - December 25th, 2018
- Eczema Types, Treatment, Home Remedies & Symptoms - December 25th, 2018
- Types of Eczema | National Eczema Association - December 25th, 2018
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema) - Diagnosis and treatment ... - December 22nd, 2018
- Eczema Treatment, Home Remedies, and Causes - December 13th, 2018
- Dyshidrotic eczema | American Academy of Dermatology - December 10th, 2018
- Eczema | Definition of Eczema by Merriam-Webster - December 10th, 2018
- Eczema Guide: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment Options - December 10th, 2018
- Eczema Treatment: 13 Home Remedies for Eczema - Dr. Axe - December 10th, 2018
- Eczema - KidsHealth - December 10th, 2018
- List of Eczema Medications (154 Compared) - Drugs.com - December 10th, 2018
- Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis) | AAFA.org - December 9th, 2018
- Eczema in Adults and Children | Cleveland Clinic & Cleveland ... - December 9th, 2018
- What is Eczema: Definition, Causes and Prevention - December 9th, 2018
- What is eczema? | American Academy of Dermatology - December 5th, 2018
- What is Eczema? | NEOSPORIN - December 5th, 2018
- How To Treat And Get Rid Of Eczema - Emuaid For Eczema ... - December 5th, 2018
- Understanding Eczema | Eczema Exposed - December 5th, 2018
- Eczema | Causes and Treatment | Patient - December 5th, 2018
- Top Eczema Support Supplements - November 30th, 2018
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema) - Symptoms and causes - November 29th, 2018
- eczema.net - November 26th, 2018
- Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment - November 26th, 2018
- 11 Facts About Eczema | Mental Floss - November 26th, 2018
- How To Treat And Get Rid Of Eczema - Emuaid For Eczema | Emuaid - November 26th, 2018