The brain chemical missing in Parkinsons disease may have a hand in its own death. Dopamine, the neurotransmitter that helps keep body movements fluid, can kick off a toxic chain reaction that ultimately kills the nerve cells that make it, a new study suggests.
By studying lab dishes of human nerve cells, or neurons, derived from Parkinsons patients, researchers found that a harmful form of dopamine can inflict damage on cells in multiple ways. The result, published online September 7 in Science, brings multiple pieces of the puzzle together, says neuroscientist Teresa Hastings of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine.
The finding also hints at a potential treatment for the estimated 10 million people worldwide with Parkinsons: Less cellular damage occurred when some of the neurons were treated early on with antioxidants, molecules that can scoop up harmful chemicals inside cells.
Study coauthor Dimitri Krainc, a neurologist and neuroscientist at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago, and colleagues took skin biopsies from healthy people and people with one of two types of Parkinsons disease, inherited or spontaneously arising. The researchers then coaxed these skin cells into becoming dopamine-producing neurons. These cells were similar to those found in the substantia nigra, the movement-related region of the brain that degenerates in Parkinsons.
After neurons carrying a mutation that causes the inherited form of Parkinsons had grown in a dish for 70 days, the researchers noticed some worrisome changes in the cells mitochondria. Levels of a harmful form of dopamine known as oxidized dopamine began rising in these energy-producing organelles, reaching high levels by day 150. Neurons derived from people with the more common, sporadic form of Parkinsons showed a similar increase but later, beginning at day 150. Cells derived from healthy people didnt accumulate oxidized dopamine.
This dangerous form of dopamine seemed to kick off other types of cellular trouble. Defects in the cells lysosomes, cellular cleanup machines, soon followed. So did the accumulation of a protein called alpha-synuclein, which is known to play a big role in Parkinsons disease.
Those findings are direct experimental evidence from human cells that the very chemical lost in Parkinsons disease contributes to its own demise, says analytical neurochemist Dominic Hare, of the University of Technology Sydney. Because these cells churn out dopamine, they are more susceptible to dopamines potential destructive forces, he says.
When researchers treated neurons carrying a mutation that causes inherited Parkinsons with several different types of antioxidants, the damage was lessened. To work in people, antioxidants would need to cross the blood-brain barrier, a difficult task, and reach the mitochondria in the brain. And this would need to happen early, probably even before symptoms appear, Krainc says.
Without this human model, we would not have been able to untangle the pathway, Krainc says. In dishes of mouse neurons with Parkinsons-related mutations, dopamine didnt kick off the same toxic cascade, a difference that might be due to human neurons containing more dopamine than mice neurons. Dopamine-producing neurons in mice and people have some very fundamental differences, Krainc says. And those differences might help explain why discoveries in mice havent translated to treatments for people with Parkinsons, he says.
Over the past few decades, scientists have been accumulating evidence that oxidized dopamine can contribute to Parkinsons disease, Hastings says. Given that knowledge, the new results are expected, she says, but still welcome confirmation of the idea.
These toxic cellular events occurred in lab dishes, not actual brains. Cell cultures arent the perfect re-creation of whats going on in the human brain, Hare cautions. But these types of experiments are the next best thing for monitoring the chemical changes in these neurons, he says.
- Treatment - Parkinson's Foundation: Better Lives. Together. - July 23rd, 2018
- Exercise - Parkinson's Foundation: Better Lives. Together. - July 23rd, 2018
- Parkinson Canada | Parkinson Canada - July 23rd, 2018
- Parkinson's Disease: Symptoms, Treatment | Parkinson's ... - July 23rd, 2018
- Parkinson Canada | Parkinson Canada - July 17th, 2018
- Parkinsons Disease Hallucinations and Delusions ... - July 15th, 2018
- Parkinson's disease - Wikipedia - July 1st, 2018
- Parkinson Disease Treatment & Management: Approach ... - July 1st, 2018
- Treatment for Inflammatory Bowel Disease May Reduce Risk ... - June 28th, 2018
- Parkinson's Disease: Symptoms, Causes, Stages, Treatment - June 21st, 2018
- Parkinson's stem cell treatment, Parkinsons disease clinic - June 6th, 2018
- Facts on Parkinson's Disease Treatment - Is it Possible to ... - May 23rd, 2018
- New treatment for Parkinsons disease - Hospital News - May 17th, 2018
- Parkinson Disease Treatment & Management: Approach Considerations, Symptomatic ... - April 14th, 2018
- Parkinson Disease Treatment & Management: Approach Considerations ... - April 10th, 2018
- Parkinson's Disease Medication | Parkinson's Disease - April 4th, 2018
- Parkinson's Stem Cell Treatment | Parkinson's Disease Story - March 30th, 2018
- Parkinson's Disease Treatments - Parkinson's News Today - March 30th, 2018
- Parkinson's Disease-Treatment Overview - WebMD - March 15th, 2018
- "Parkinsons Treatment and Side Effects - Levodopa, Stem ... - March 9th, 2018
- Treatment for Parkinsons disease | MIRAPEX (pramipexole ... - February 12th, 2018
- Parkinson 's Disease- Treatment Overview - WebMD - January 27th, 2018
- Parkinson Secrets - Treatment tips for patients ... - December 21st, 2017
- Forced exercise: cycling in the treatment of Parkinsons ... - December 3rd, 2017
- Parkinson's disease cure: THIS common drug could slow progression of condition - Express.co.uk - September 7th, 2017
- Sumitomo Dainippon Seeks Japanese Approval for Trerief to Treat Parkinsonism in Dementia Patients - Parkinson's News Today - September 7th, 2017
- Top stories: Why Costa Rica's crocodiles are changing sex and an ... - Science Magazine - September 5th, 2017
- Parkinson's symptoms reversed in monkeys by groundbreaking new treatment - The Independent - September 3rd, 2017
- UPDATE: Acorda Therapeutics shares crater 26% premarket after FDA rejects application for Parkinson's treatment - MarketWatch - September 1st, 2017
- An Advance in Treatment of Parkinson's Disease | American Council ... - American Council on Science and Health - September 1st, 2017
- Collaboration announced for development of Parkinson's treatment - EPM Magazine - September 1st, 2017
- Titan to Start Phase 1/2 Study of Subdermal Implant to Deliver Requip to Parkinson's Patients - Parkinson's News Today - September 1st, 2017
- We May Be Able to Treat Parkinson's Disease With an Implant - Fortune - August 25th, 2017
- Parkinson's Treatment by Internet Can Match In-person Visits ... - Parkinson's News Today - August 25th, 2017
- Parkinsons Disease Information from Parkinsons.org - August 21st, 2017
- Teletherapy as Effective as In-Person Treatment for Parkinson's Disease - PsychCentral.com - August 19th, 2017
- Survey: Patients With Parkinson's Disease, MS Report Efficacy From Medical Cannabis - eNews Park Forest - August 18th, 2017
- Diabetes Drug May Be Used as a Treatment for Parkinson's Disease - Healthline - August 18th, 2017
- Mirapex: A Miracle Treatment with Troubling Effects for Some - Parkinson's News Today - August 18th, 2017
- Diabetes Drug Improves Parkinson's Motor Symptoms in Small Trial - Alzforum - August 18th, 2017
- Global Kinetics Corp Secures First US Patent For Its Digital Health System - Markets Insider - August 15th, 2017
- Diabetes Medication Exenatide Shows Promise In Treating ... - MedicalResearch.com (blog) - August 11th, 2017
- Company Spotlight: Adamas Pharma - Markets Insider - August 11th, 2017
- Therapy improves mobility for Parkinson's disease patients - Victoria Advocate - August 11th, 2017
- For health-care VC, the search for a Parkinson's cure turns personal - CNBC - August 9th, 2017
- How Medical Cannabis Could Treat Parkinson's Disease ... - CannaTech.news - August 9th, 2017
- Good Samaritan now offers new treatment for Parkinson's - Terre Haute Tribune Star - August 9th, 2017
- A dose of longevity hormone may boost treatment for Parkinson's - Economic Times - August 9th, 2017
- Injured soldier Ben Parkinson launches review of his care - BBC News - August 9th, 2017
- Diabetes Drug Could Be Potential Parkinson's Treatment - Drug Discovery & Development - August 8th, 2017
- Local program turning back the clock for people with Parkinson's disease - WSBT-TV - August 8th, 2017
- A New Parkinson's Therapy Possibly - Science Magazine (blog) - August 8th, 2017
- Diabetes Drug Exenatide Shows Promise In Helping Parkinson's Disease Patients - DeathRattleSports.com - August 8th, 2017
- AgeWise: Answering questions about dementia - Winston-Salem Journal - August 7th, 2017
- A look at the $1.1b. Israeli technology for regulating Parkinson's - The Jerusalem Post - August 7th, 2017
- Around Danville: Linda Ronstadt to appear at Concours d'Elegance, Parkinson's fundraiser - East Bay Times - August 7th, 2017
- Diabetes Drug Could Help Treat Parkinson's Disease - Technology Networks - August 7th, 2017
- Diabetes Drug Shows Promise Against Parkinson's - WebMD - August 4th, 2017
- Upcoming Events - FDA Decision For Adamas In Parkinson's Dyskinesia And Growth Data For Versartis - Seeking Alpha - August 4th, 2017
- New Drug May Slow Progression of Parkinson's Disease - Newsmax - August 4th, 2017
- Atria Darien offers Parkinson's support group - The Darien News - August 4th, 2017
- Parkinson's disease 'may start in gut' - Gears Of Biz - August 4th, 2017
- Waterlogged brain region helps scientists gauge damage caused by ... - National Institutes of Health (press release) - August 1st, 2017
- Mislabeled Muscle Spasm, Parkinson's Drugs Prompt Recall - MPR - Monthly Prescribing Reference (registration) - August 1st, 2017
- Less sitting and more moving: Parkinson's support group starts in West Knoxville - WBIR-TV - July 12th, 2017
- Xadago Launched in US as Add-on Treatment for Parkinson's Disease - Parkinson's News Today - July 12th, 2017
- Therapy leads to results for Parkinson's patients (sponsored) - The Union of Grass Valley - July 12th, 2017
- Cells may hold key to treating Parkinson's disease - Hindustan Times - July 12th, 2017
- Parkinson's Disease: Prexton Announces Initiation Of Phase II Clinical Testing - Clinical Leader - July 12th, 2017
- Treatment in testing for sleep disorder commonly found in men with Parkinson's or LBD - WNDU-TV - July 10th, 2017
- Swiss Biotech Starts Phase II Trial to Treat Motor Symptoms of Parkinson's - Labiotech.eu (blog) - July 10th, 2017
- ADS-5102 (Amantadine) - Parkinson's News Today - July 8th, 2017
- New tool could lead to earlier diagnosis, better treatment of ... - Medical Xpress - July 7th, 2017
- Medical marijuana can treat Parkinson's - LancasterOnline - July 7th, 2017
- Find innovative speech therapy for Parkinson's at Lake Regional - Lakenewsonline.com - July 4th, 2017
- Link Between Parkinson's And Alzheimer's Diseases May Lead To ... - Medical Daily - July 4th, 2017
- Lenexa teen a BioGENEius for her Parkinson's research - Kansas City Star - July 1st, 2017
- What is bradyphrenia? Causes, symptoms, and treatment - Bel Marra Health - June 30th, 2017
- CARA In Pain, ALKS Enlightened, FDA Expands Approved Use Of AMGN's Vectibix - Markets Insider - June 30th, 2017
- Parkinson's Disease Patients are First to be Treated With Elekta's ... - PR Newswire (press release) - June 28th, 2017