(RTTNews) – Shares of Adamas Pharmaceuticals Inc. (ADMS) have lost more than 9% of their value year to date while the iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology Index (ETF) (IBB) is up more than 14% during the same period.
Adamas is focused on developing new medicines for chronic neurologic conditions like Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy and Alzheimer’s disease.
The Company’s lead program is ADS-5102, a high-dose *Amantadine, taken once-daily at bedtime, in development for levodopa-induced dyskinesia (LID) in people with Parkinson’s disease.
*Amantadine is an antiviral medication used to prevent or treat certain influenza infections and is also prescribed to relieve symptoms of Parkinson’s disease. The drug is also effective in relieving fatigue in multiple sclerosis.
Parkinson’s disease is a degenerative disorder of the central nervous system characterized by tremor, or shaking often in a hand or leg, and stiff muscles. It is estimated that over 1.5 million people in the U.S. have Parkinson’s disease. Levodopa remains the gold standard to treat Parkinson’s symptoms.
A common and severe complication of the Levodopa therapy is dyskinesia, which refers to non-purposeful, fragmented or jerky motions. Approximately 200,000 Parkinson’s disease patients suffer from Levodopa-induced dyskinesia, or LID.
Adamas’ drug candidate for levodopa-induced dyskinesia (LID) in patients with Parkinson’s disease, ADS-5102, is under FDA review – with a decision expected to be announced on August 24, 2017.
In phase III trials, ADS-5102 demonstrated a primary reduction of LID and a secondary reduction in *OFF time in Parkinson’s disease patients, with a manageable safety and tolerability profile. (*OFF time refers to periods of the day when the medication is not working well, causing worsening of the symptoms. (Source: AgingCare.com).)
If approved, ADS-5102 will be the first and only approved medicine for the indication of levodopa-induced dyskinesia in people with Parkinson’s disease.
Another near-term catalyst to watch out for is the top-line data from a phase Ib study of ADS-4101.
ADS-4101 is in development for the treatment of partial onset seizures in patients with epilepsy.
The phase 1b study is evaluating the tolerability and pharmacodynamic profile of three ascending doses of ADS-4101 administered once daily at bedtime compared to ascending doses of twice daily Vimpat tablets.
Vimpat received FDA approval for the treatment of partial onset seizures in adults with epilepsy in October 2008.
The company announced positive results from its phase Ia trial of ADS-4101 for the treatment of partial onset seizures in epilepsy in May of this year. The data demonstrated that ADS-4101 is better tolerated in healthy volunteers than equivalent doses of Vimpat.
The top-line data from phase Ib study of ADS-4101 are expected to be announced in the third quarter of 2017.
The Company reported second quarter 2017 financial results on August 8, 2017.
Net loss for the recent second quarter widened to $20.7 million or $0.93 per share from $16.9 million or $0.78 per share in the year-ago quarter.
Adamas has not generated any commercial product revenue. Till date, revenue has been generated primarily from license, milestone, and development revenue pursuant to the Company’s license agreement with Allergan plc (AGN).
In the second quarter of 2017, revenue was down to $2 thousand from $222 thousand generated in the comparable year-ago quarter.
Adamas ended June 30, 2017 with $144.9 million of cash.
Shares of Adamas touched a 52-week intraday high of $19.50 on January 6, 2017. The stock is down over 21% from the yearly high and trades around $15.25.
Will the stock experience a run up in anticipation of the FDA decision date? Will ADS-5102 score the regulatory agency’s stamp of approval? Stay tuned…
Read more here:
Company Spotlight: Adamas Pharma – Markets Insider
- Treatment - Parkinson's Foundation: Better Lives. Together. - July 23rd, 2018
- Exercise - Parkinson's Foundation: Better Lives. Together. - July 23rd, 2018
- Parkinson Canada | Parkinson Canada - July 23rd, 2018
- Parkinson's Disease: Symptoms, Treatment | Parkinson's ... - July 23rd, 2018
- Parkinson Canada | Parkinson Canada - July 17th, 2018
- Parkinsons Disease Hallucinations and Delusions ... - July 15th, 2018
- Parkinson's disease - Wikipedia - July 1st, 2018
- Parkinson Disease Treatment & Management: Approach ... - July 1st, 2018
- Treatment for Inflammatory Bowel Disease May Reduce Risk ... - June 28th, 2018
- Parkinson's Disease: Symptoms, Causes, Stages, Treatment - June 21st, 2018
- Parkinson's stem cell treatment, Parkinsons disease clinic - June 6th, 2018
- Facts on Parkinson's Disease Treatment - Is it Possible to ... - May 23rd, 2018
- New treatment for Parkinsons disease - Hospital News - May 17th, 2018
- Parkinson Disease Treatment & Management: Approach Considerations, Symptomatic ... - April 14th, 2018
- Parkinson Disease Treatment & Management: Approach Considerations ... - April 10th, 2018
- Parkinson's Disease Medication | Parkinson's Disease - April 4th, 2018
- Parkinson's Stem Cell Treatment | Parkinson's Disease Story - March 30th, 2018
- Parkinson's Disease Treatments - Parkinson's News Today - March 30th, 2018
- Parkinson's Disease-Treatment Overview - WebMD - March 15th, 2018
- "Parkinsons Treatment and Side Effects - Levodopa, Stem ... - March 9th, 2018
- Treatment for Parkinsons disease | MIRAPEX (pramipexole ... - February 12th, 2018
- Parkinson 's Disease- Treatment Overview - WebMD - January 27th, 2018
- Parkinson Secrets - Treatment tips for patients ... - December 21st, 2017
- Forced exercise: cycling in the treatment of Parkinsons ... - December 3rd, 2017
- Brain chemical lost in Parkinson's may contribute to its own demise - Science News Magazine - September 7th, 2017
- Parkinson's disease cure: THIS common drug could slow progression of condition - Express.co.uk - September 7th, 2017
- Sumitomo Dainippon Seeks Japanese Approval for Trerief to Treat Parkinsonism in Dementia Patients - Parkinson's News Today - September 7th, 2017
- Top stories: Why Costa Rica's crocodiles are changing sex and an ... - Science Magazine - September 5th, 2017
- Parkinson's symptoms reversed in monkeys by groundbreaking new treatment - The Independent - September 3rd, 2017
- UPDATE: Acorda Therapeutics shares crater 26% premarket after FDA rejects application for Parkinson's treatment - MarketWatch - September 1st, 2017
- An Advance in Treatment of Parkinson's Disease | American Council ... - American Council on Science and Health - September 1st, 2017
- Collaboration announced for development of Parkinson's treatment - EPM Magazine - September 1st, 2017
- Titan to Start Phase 1/2 Study of Subdermal Implant to Deliver Requip to Parkinson's Patients - Parkinson's News Today - September 1st, 2017
- We May Be Able to Treat Parkinson's Disease With an Implant - Fortune - August 25th, 2017
- Parkinson's Treatment by Internet Can Match In-person Visits ... - Parkinson's News Today - August 25th, 2017
- Parkinsons Disease Information from Parkinsons.org - August 21st, 2017
- Teletherapy as Effective as In-Person Treatment for Parkinson's Disease - PsychCentral.com - August 19th, 2017
- Survey: Patients With Parkinson's Disease, MS Report Efficacy From Medical Cannabis - eNews Park Forest - August 18th, 2017
- Diabetes Drug May Be Used as a Treatment for Parkinson's Disease - Healthline - August 18th, 2017
- Mirapex: A Miracle Treatment with Troubling Effects for Some - Parkinson's News Today - August 18th, 2017
- Diabetes Drug Improves Parkinson's Motor Symptoms in Small Trial - Alzforum - August 18th, 2017
- Global Kinetics Corp Secures First US Patent For Its Digital Health System - Markets Insider - August 15th, 2017
- Diabetes Medication Exenatide Shows Promise In Treating ... - MedicalResearch.com (blog) - August 11th, 2017
- Therapy improves mobility for Parkinson's disease patients - Victoria Advocate - August 11th, 2017
- For health-care VC, the search for a Parkinson's cure turns personal - CNBC - August 9th, 2017
- How Medical Cannabis Could Treat Parkinson's Disease ... - CannaTech.news - August 9th, 2017
- Good Samaritan now offers new treatment for Parkinson's - Terre Haute Tribune Star - August 9th, 2017
- A dose of longevity hormone may boost treatment for Parkinson's - Economic Times - August 9th, 2017
- Injured soldier Ben Parkinson launches review of his care - BBC News - August 9th, 2017
- Diabetes Drug Could Be Potential Parkinson's Treatment - Drug Discovery & Development - August 8th, 2017
- Local program turning back the clock for people with Parkinson's disease - WSBT-TV - August 8th, 2017
- A New Parkinson's Therapy Possibly - Science Magazine (blog) - August 8th, 2017
- Diabetes Drug Exenatide Shows Promise In Helping Parkinson's Disease Patients - DeathRattleSports.com - August 8th, 2017
- AgeWise: Answering questions about dementia - Winston-Salem Journal - August 7th, 2017
- A look at the $1.1b. Israeli technology for regulating Parkinson's - The Jerusalem Post - August 7th, 2017
- Around Danville: Linda Ronstadt to appear at Concours d'Elegance, Parkinson's fundraiser - East Bay Times - August 7th, 2017
- Diabetes Drug Could Help Treat Parkinson's Disease - Technology Networks - August 7th, 2017
- Diabetes Drug Shows Promise Against Parkinson's - WebMD - August 4th, 2017
- Upcoming Events - FDA Decision For Adamas In Parkinson's Dyskinesia And Growth Data For Versartis - Seeking Alpha - August 4th, 2017
- New Drug May Slow Progression of Parkinson's Disease - Newsmax - August 4th, 2017
- Atria Darien offers Parkinson's support group - The Darien News - August 4th, 2017
- Parkinson's disease 'may start in gut' - Gears Of Biz - August 4th, 2017
- Waterlogged brain region helps scientists gauge damage caused by ... - National Institutes of Health (press release) - August 1st, 2017
- Mislabeled Muscle Spasm, Parkinson's Drugs Prompt Recall - MPR - Monthly Prescribing Reference (registration) - August 1st, 2017
- Less sitting and more moving: Parkinson's support group starts in West Knoxville - WBIR-TV - July 12th, 2017
- Xadago Launched in US as Add-on Treatment for Parkinson's Disease - Parkinson's News Today - July 12th, 2017
- Therapy leads to results for Parkinson's patients (sponsored) - The Union of Grass Valley - July 12th, 2017
- Cells may hold key to treating Parkinson's disease - Hindustan Times - July 12th, 2017
- Parkinson's Disease: Prexton Announces Initiation Of Phase II Clinical Testing - Clinical Leader - July 12th, 2017
- Treatment in testing for sleep disorder commonly found in men with Parkinson's or LBD - WNDU-TV - July 10th, 2017
- Swiss Biotech Starts Phase II Trial to Treat Motor Symptoms of Parkinson's - Labiotech.eu (blog) - July 10th, 2017
- ADS-5102 (Amantadine) - Parkinson's News Today - July 8th, 2017
- New tool could lead to earlier diagnosis, better treatment of ... - Medical Xpress - July 7th, 2017
- Medical marijuana can treat Parkinson's - LancasterOnline - July 7th, 2017
- Find innovative speech therapy for Parkinson's at Lake Regional - Lakenewsonline.com - July 4th, 2017
- Link Between Parkinson's And Alzheimer's Diseases May Lead To ... - Medical Daily - July 4th, 2017
- Lenexa teen a BioGENEius for her Parkinson's research - Kansas City Star - July 1st, 2017
- What is bradyphrenia? Causes, symptoms, and treatment - Bel Marra Health - June 30th, 2017
- CARA In Pain, ALKS Enlightened, FDA Expands Approved Use Of AMGN's Vectibix - Markets Insider - June 30th, 2017
- Parkinson's Disease Patients are First to be Treated With Elekta's ... - PR Newswire (press release) - June 28th, 2017