How do dermatologists diagnose dyshidrotic eczema?
When dyshidrotic eczema (DE) flares, a dermatologist can diagnose it by looking at your skin.
Your dermatologist will also ask about your medical history, work, hobbies, and recent stress level.
If your dermatologist thinks that the DE could be due to an allergy, an allergy test called patch testing may be recommended. During patch testing, small amounts of substances that you may be allergic to are placed on your skin often the skin on your back.
Your treatment plan will be designed to treat your signs and symptoms. You may be responsible for doing much of the treatment at home. It is important to carefully follow your treatment plan, which may include several of the following:
After each soak or cool compress, youll likely need to apply a medicated cream or ointment, such as a corticosteroid.
Having an infection can stop DE from clearing.
In one study, researchers found that about 33% of patients who had DE on their hands got rid of the DE only after treating an infection on their feet.
If the above treatments fail to work or you have severe DE, your dermatologist may recommend one of the following:
Botulinum toxin is FDA approved to treat wrinkles and excessive sweating in the underarms but not DE. Its legal to prescribe a medicine for a condition other than its FDA-approved use. This is called off-label use, which can be very helpful for some patients.
Its extremely important to get these treatments at a hospital, clinic, or your dermatologists office. Trying to treat your skin by using a tanning bed is not recommended.
Eliminating foods that contain nickel or cobalt helps some people.
Many foods contain nickel or cobalt. If you are allergic to either, your dermatologist can tell you how to change your diet.
Other treatments than the ones listed here can also be helpful. Your dermatologist can tell you what treatment may be best for you.
Some people have one mild outbreak that clears without treatment. Its much more common to have flares throughout your life. Treatment can help control DE, which cannot be cured.
References:Egan CA Rallis TM, et al. Low-dose oral methotrexate treatment for recalcitrant palmoplantar dyshidrotic dermatitis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1999;40(4):612-14.Gerstenblith MR, Antony AK, et al. Pompholyx and eczematous reactions associated with intravenous immunoglobulin therapy. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2012;66(2):312-6. Habif TP, Campbell JL, et al. Pompholyx (card #16). Dermatology DDxDeck. Mosby 2006.Klein AW. Treatment of dyshidrotic hand dermatitis with intradermal botulinum toxin. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2004:50(1):153-4.Miller JL, Hurley HJ. Diseases of the eccrine and apocrine sweat glands. In: Bolognia JL, Jorizzo JL, et al, eds. Dermatology. Mosby Elsevier 2008. p. 543.Peterling H, Breuer C, et al. Comparison of localized high-dose UVA1 irradiation versus topical cream psoralen-UVA for treatment of chronic vesicular dyshidrotic eczema. J Am Acad Dermatol 2003;50(1):68-72.Schnoop C, Remling R, et. al. Topical tacrolimus (FK506) and mometasone furoate in treatment of dyshidrotic palmar eczema: A randomized, observer-blinded trial. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2002;46(1):73-7.
See the article here:
Dyshidrotic eczema | American Academy of Dermatology
- Im a dermatologist, and these are the mistakes I see people make when treating eczema - Well+Good - January 18th, 2020
- Alitretinoin an Effective Option in Children With Hand Eczema - Dermatology Advisor - January 18th, 2020
- News Local mom and engineer starts soap company inspired by her son with eczema Anu Prakash - WXYZ - January 18th, 2020
- Sheffield study of newborn babies seeks to prevent eczema - The Star - January 18th, 2020
- Colloidal Oatmeal: Why Derms Love This Ingredient for Dry or Irritated Skin - Self - January 18th, 2020
- Putting the Pro in Probiotics | Nutrition and Fitness | iosconews.com - Iosco County News Herald - January 18th, 2020
- Itchy face: Causes, symptoms, and treatment - Medical News Today - January 18th, 2020
- Bucks students urged to think before they comment on eczema - Mix 96 - January 18th, 2020
- 4 things to know about eczema - WRAL.com - January 18th, 2020
- 12 Itchy Skin Treatments That Work, According to Dermatologists - Prevention.com - January 18th, 2020
- Weeping Eczema: What Is It, And How To Know If You Have It | - SpaceCoastDaily.com - December 31st, 2019
- Works like magic Miracle cream claims to cure dry winter skin in just seven days and its less than 6 - woman&home - December 31st, 2019
- 10 Facts Moms Should Know About Babies And Eczema | BabyGaga - BabyGaga - December 31st, 2019
- Oldest cure that never spoils: Honey - Daily Sabah - December 31st, 2019
- Control eczema flare-ups with these itch-relieving creams - Yahoo Style - December 16th, 2019
- Emerging Markets Report - Hoth Therapeutics on the Fast Track Toward Delivering Eczema Therapy Products to Market - BioSpace - December 16th, 2019
- Love Island: Molly-Mae Hague says she has eczema since leaving the show - The Media Hq - December 16th, 2019
- LEO Pharma announces positive top-line results for tralokinumab from three Phase 3 studies in adult patients with moderate-to-severe AD - Business... - December 16th, 2019
- My Health, My Choice: Are you itching to improve dry skin? - VVdailypress.com - December 16th, 2019
- Atopic dermatitis in teens with skin of color - Dermatology Times - December 16th, 2019
- Medical News Today: Psoriasis vs. Eczema: Differences in Symptoms and Treatment - Wellston Journal - December 16th, 2019
- Im a Teen with Eczema and Its Impacted My Life More Than You Can Know - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 16th, 2019
- life-sized 'emma' reminds everyone what bad posture at work can lead to - Designboom - December 16th, 2019
- Sanofi Says Its $2.5 Billion Biotech Takeover Is Just the Beginning - The Motley Fool - December 16th, 2019
- Everything Parents Need To Know About Eczema In Kids - Yahoo Singapore News - December 10th, 2019
- Eczema Ointments and Creams Might Be a Big Part of the Problem - Gilmore Health News - December 10th, 2019
- Aldis 3.99 miracle cream which shoppers say blasts acne and helps eczema is back in stock - The Sun - December 10th, 2019
- How To Add Honey To Your Skincare Regimen - Forbes - December 10th, 2019
- Sensitive Skin: Causes, Symptoms, Triggers and Treatment Expert Tips - Allure - December 10th, 2019
- Eczema Skin-Care Products Market 2019- Global Industry Analysis, By Key Players, Segmentation, Application, Demand And Forecast By 2024 - Montana... - December 10th, 2019
- Prone To Irritation Around Your Eyes? You May Be Overlooking The Culprit - mindbodygreen.com - December 10th, 2019
- Parents Reveal The Pain Of Helping A Child With Eczema - 10 daily - December 3rd, 2019
- CBD Brands Initiates Study to Investigate a Novel Cannabidiol Lotion for the Treatment of Atopic Dermatitis (Eczema) - PRNewswire - December 3rd, 2019
- Why This Atopic Dermatitis Study Was So Well Received - 24/7 Wall St. - December 3rd, 2019
- Prevent Suffering From Skin Inflammation This Winter By Avoiding This One Thing - International Business Times - December 3rd, 2019
- Sanofi and Regeneron's medical congress campaign focuses on type 2 inflammation education for docs - FiercePharma - November 21st, 2019
- Atopic dermatitis linked to increased risk of atrial fibrillation - Dermatology Times - November 21st, 2019
- What is cica? Everything a dermatologist wants you to know about this buzzy ingredient - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 21st, 2019
- Discover the Eczema Market Size Research Report 2019-2028 - Daily News Collectors - November 21st, 2019
- Itching after a shower: Causes and remedies - Medical News Today - November 15th, 2019
- Itchy tattoo: Causes and treatment - Medical News Today - November 15th, 2019
- Mum whose toddlers eczema was so bad he needed to be bandaged praises 7 miracle cream - The Sun - November 15th, 2019
- Eczema: These essential oils will soothe your skin - TheHealthSite - November 15th, 2019
- The only way to cure my agonising eczema was to STOP treatment after I suffered horrendous withd - The Sun - November 15th, 2019
- Why eczema can get worse in the winter, according to a doctor - Daily Star - November 15th, 2019
- Montrose tot Alfie gets on his bike to raise cash for skin condition charity which has helped his family - The Courier - November 15th, 2019
- Atopic Eczema Treatment Market 2019, Trend, CAGR Status, Growth, Analysis and Forecast to 2024 - Virtualnewsusa - November 15th, 2019
- Evidence Growing That Eczema Itch More Than Skin Deep - Medscape - November 3rd, 2019
- Itchy Skin Conditions And Mental Health Are Linked, And We Need to Talk About It - ScienceAlert - November 3rd, 2019
- Ive Tried Hundreds Of Sensitive Skin Products Heres What I Recommend - Refinery29 - November 3rd, 2019
- This Creepy Life-Sized Doll Is a Warning About What Office Life Is Doing to Us - ScienceAlert - November 3rd, 2019
- Effectiveness of clinical decision support tools on pediatrician adherence to peanut allergy prevention guidelines - 2 Minute Medicine - November 3rd, 2019
- Eczema On The Face: How To Care For Your Skin Naturally - mindbodygreen.com - October 30th, 2019
- Best Eczema Makeup According to Dermatologists and Other Beauty Pros - STYLECASTER - October 30th, 2019
- How to keep your skin healthy this winter - Post Register - October 30th, 2019
- Norovirus to shigella and eczema the ultimate guide to protect your kids from winter bugs - The Sun - October 30th, 2019
- International Day of the Girl Child, Introducing 'Eiko Kitagawa' empowering woman from Japan - Thrive Global - October 30th, 2019
- A Terrifying Glimpse At What Office Workers Could Look Like In 20 Years - IFLScience - October 30th, 2019
- Eczema Awareness Month 2019 - Everyday Health - October 20th, 2019
- Chronic Itch: New Therapy, Complexities - MedPage Today - October 20th, 2019
- How mould and damp in your home affects your body and health - and what to do about it - MyLondon - October 20th, 2019
- Eczema Skin-Care Products Market Growth, Competition landscape, Sales, Revenue, Distributors and Forecast till 2025 - Online News Guru - October 20th, 2019
- 'I Tried Wet Wrap Therapy for Eczema, and It Helped Reset My Skin' - Everyday Health - October 17th, 2019
- Meet the Northern Ireland people battling eczema who are finally comfortable in their own skin - Belfast Telegraph - October 17th, 2019
- Our top scientists and the discovery that could revolutionise cancer, eczema treatment - The Age - October 17th, 2019
- Eczema Body Lotions That Will Save Your Winter Skin - STYLECASTER - October 17th, 2019
- Bausch Health Announces Updated Health Canada Safety Information for ELIDEL - Canada NewsWire - October 17th, 2019
- Study: Babies who are heavier at birth may have a higher risk of childhood allergies - Malay Mail - October 17th, 2019
- What Are the Benefits of Turmeric? - The New York Times - October 17th, 2019
- Give your Eczema-prone skin twice the nourishment it deserves with the help of Aveenos Dermexa - Business Mirror - October 17th, 2019
- Should You Try an Elimination Diet to Determine the Root Cause of Eczema? - Everyday Health - October 11th, 2019
- Long-Term Dupilumab Safe, Effective in Adolescents with Atopic Dermatitis - Pharmacy Times - October 11th, 2019
- Eating Fish in Early Childhood Even Just Once a Week Reduces Risk of Disease - SciTechDaily - October 11th, 2019
- Breath of fresh heir: how Succession became the must-watch TV of the year - The Guardian - October 11th, 2019
- Feed your kids fish if you want to reduce their risk of eczema & asthma - TimesLIVE - October 10th, 2019
- Dermatologist shares top tips for treating eczema - and busts myths about painful skin condition - Heart - October 10th, 2019
- Arcutis Announces Enrollment of Last Patient in Phase 2a Clinical Trial of ARQ-151 Cream as a Potential Topical Treatment for Atopic Dermatitis -... - October 10th, 2019
- LEO Pharma to Highlight Data at 28th Congress of the European Academy of Dermatology (EADV) - Yahoo Finance - October 10th, 2019
- Inside the First-Ever Skin Folks Event: A Series Aiming To Build a More Inclusive Skincare Community - Vogue - October 10th, 2019
- CBS4s Frances Wang Reveals Personal & Painful Skin Condition To Help Others - CBS Miami - October 4th, 2019