Proteoglycans are significant modifiers in ischemia and pressure overload-related cardiac remodeling.
Proteoglycans modulate cardiomyocyte hypertrophy, death and proliferation.
Proteoglycans regulate ECM composition and organization to affect cardiac fibrosis.
Proteoglycans take part in inflammatory processes by influencing leukocyte adhesion and migration.
Proteoglycans are promising therapeutic targets in cardiovascular diseases.
Cardiac remodeling is the response of the heart to a range of pathological stimuli. Cardiac remodeling is initially adaptive; however, if sustained, it ultimately causes adverse clinical outcomes. Cardiomyocyte loss or hypertrophy, inflammation and fibrosis are hallmarks of cardiac remodeling. Proteoglycans, which are composed of glycosaminoglycans and a core protein, are a non-structural component of the extracellular matrix. The lack of proteoglycans results in cardiovascular defects during development. Moreover, emerging evidence has indicated that proteoglycans act as significant modifiers in ischemia and pressure overload-related cardiac remodeling. Proteoglycans may also provide novel therapeutic strategies for further improvement in the prognosis of cardiovascular diseases.
Recommended articlesCiting articles (0)
2018 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
Read the original here:
- AI Pinpoints Genes Associated With Heart Failure - Forbes - October 3rd, 2019
- What are the respiratory effects of e-cigarettes? - The BMJ - October 3rd, 2019
- Antibody could fine-tune recovery from heart attack - Futurity: Research News - September 27th, 2019
- Cardiac remodelingconcepts and clinical implications: a ... - April 3rd, 2019
- Ventricular hypertrophy - Wikipedia - December 26th, 2018
- Ventricular remodeling - Wikipedia - December 21st, 2018
- The Significance of Cardiac Remodeling - verywellhealth.com - December 21st, 2018
- Cardiac Remodeling and Its Significance - verywellhealth.com - October 5th, 2018
- Cardiac resynchronization therapy - Wikipedia - June 23rd, 2018
- Cardiac MR PET CT Program - Massachusetts General Hospital ... - June 5th, 2018
- Cardiology Conferences | Cardiac Nursing Events ... - June 3rd, 2018
- AndrewMcCulloch - Cardiac Mechanics Research Group - May 30th, 2018
- Cardiac Remodeling and Its Significance - Verywell - May 13th, 2018
- Dor procedure - Wikipedia - April 26th, 2018
- The History, Physical Examination, and Cardiac ... - April 21st, 2018
- Cardiac MR PET CT Program - Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA - April 12th, 2018