Signalling Keralas intention to transform itself into one of the top destinations in the biotechnology sector, scientists, technologists and technocrats have pledged support to the government in its efforts to promote the establishment of biotech industries.
A conclave organised by the Kerala Biotechnology Commission (KBC) here on Thursday stressed the need to harness the immense biological resources and human potential in the State to create an enabling ecosystem and attract investments in the sector.
Inaugurating the event, Minister for Water Resources Mathew T.Thomas said Kerala, with its rich biodiversity, unique spices and traditional systems of medicine offered unprecedented opportunities for biotechnology- based industries.
Pointing out that the sector had registered low growth, despite the governments efforts to improve infrastructural facilities, the Minister said the Biotechnology Park at Kalamassery and the Life Sciences Park at Thiruvananthapuram would be promoted as hubs of biotechnology- based industries.
Biotechnology, the Minister said, could play a major role in increasing agricultural productivity as well as in other sectors like the environment, animal husbandry, bio fuels and aquaculture.
The government was committed to the creation of an ecosystem for the establishment of biotech- based industries, the Minister added.
Presiding over the inaugural function, V.K.Ramachandran, Vice Chairman, State Planning Board, said efforts were on to promote Kerala as a platform for the manufacture of genetic drugs made from living material.
The rich biodiversity in the State, Mr. Ramachandran said, could be utilised to develop a thriving bio pharmaceutical sector.
Dr.Ramachandran also highlighted the need to promote research and development in biotechnology in the State.
Echoing the views expressed by the speakers, a cross-section of the industrialists participating in the conclave said they were prepared to set up ventures in the State.
Conditions in Kerala
Dr.Muhammed Majeed, CMD, Sami Labs said conditions in Kerala were conducive to the establishment of biotechnology- based industries.
Dr.Chandrasekhar R.Nair, CMD, BigTec laboratories and Dr.C.N.Ramchand, CEO, Saksin Laboratories also said Kerala offered significant advantages for setting up new manufacturing ventures.
Chairman, KBC, Dr.Suresh Das, Member Secretary Dr.S.Pradeep Kumar, Advisor, KBC, Prof.G.M.Nair and Chairman, KSIDC, Dr.Christy Fernandez were among those who spoke.
A business meet and biopreneurs meet were also organised.
Kerala eyes investments in biotechnology - The Hindu
- Letter: Perpetuating 'scientific' myths about biotechnology - Mountain Xpress - September 2nd, 2017
- Biotechnology building debuts state-of-the-art E-Wing | CU Boulder ... - CU Boulder Today - September 2nd, 2017
- Puma Biotechnology Announces Publication of Abstracts for ESMO 2017 - Markets Insider - September 2nd, 2017
- Puma Biotechnology to Participate in Panel Discussion at Citi's Biotech Conference - Business Wire (press release) - September 2nd, 2017
- We've got to talk: The militarization of biotechnology - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists - August 11th, 2017
- Book Profits On Puma Biotechnology - Cramer's Lightning Round (8/7/17) - Seeking Alpha - August 11th, 2017
- Valuation Dashboard: Healthcare - Update - iShares Nasdaq ... - Seeking Alpha - August 11th, 2017
- Puma Biotechnology Inc (PBYI) Plunges 9.43% on August 10 - Equities.com - August 11th, 2017
- Dr Pushpa Mitra Bhargava, pioneer in biotechnology, passes away at 89 - Times of India - August 2nd, 2017
- 20th World Congress on Biotechnology and Biotech Industries Meet - Technology Networks - August 2nd, 2017
- Why Investors remained buoyant on: Puma Biotechnology, Inc. (PBYI), Digital Realty Trust, Inc. (DLR) - StockNewsJournal - August 2nd, 2017
- Bolder BioTechnology Announces Initiation of Phase 1 Clinical Trial of BBT-015 for Treating Neutropenia and Acute ... - PR Newswire (press release) - August 2nd, 2017
- NJSBA magazine explores biotechnology and genetics - Yahoo News - August 2nd, 2017
- Applications of biotechnology in Agriculture - The Herald - July 31st, 2017
- NAS Releases Final Report on Preparing for Future Products of Biotechnology - JD Supra (press release) - July 7th, 2017
- Seventure debuts in Japan with microbiome investment - European Biotechnology - July 7th, 2017
- Biotechnology Conferences - Asia Pacific Biotech Congress - July 5th, 2017
- Noxxon/MSD start testing of immunoncologic combo - European Biotechnology - July 5th, 2017
- Puma Stalks Up - Puma Biotechnology, Inc. (NYSE:PBYI) | Seeking ... - Seeking Alpha - July 5th, 2017
- Researchers in Melbourne provide new biotechnology tool - BSA bureau (press release) - July 5th, 2017
- iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology Index Fund (IBB) Earns Slightly Optimistic Media Opinion, Based On A Study - Insider Tradings - July 5th, 2017
- Prana Biotechnology shares surge after journal publication - Proactive Investors UK - July 5th, 2017
- Director General of Nigeria's biotechnology agency arrested over ... - Premium Times - June 29th, 2017
- AML: Cellectis testing allogenic CAR-T cell therapy - European Biotechnology - June 29th, 2017
- Explore Innovations in Industrial Biotechnology at Upcoming ... - Newswise (press release) - June 29th, 2017
- ChineseInvestors.com, Inc.'s Wholly-owned Foreign Enterprise, CBD ... - PR Newswire (press release) - June 29th, 2017
- Karnataka IT and Biotechnology Dept Grants Rs 3.18 cr to 12 Start-ups - News18 - June 29th, 2017
- Applikon Biotechnology - European Pharmaceutical Review - June 28th, 2017
- Explore Innovations in Industrial Biotechnology at Upcoming Workshops - Newswise (press release) - June 27th, 2017
- 66m Life Sciences Fund focused on Germany and Benelux - European Biotechnology - June 27th, 2017
- iShares NASDAQ Biotechnology Index ETF (IBB) Suddenly Looks Bullish - ETF Daily News (blog) - June 26th, 2017
- ASA provides input to USDA, FDA on advances in biotechnology - High Plains Journal - June 25th, 2017
- Epigenetic drugs set to boost immunoncology - European Biotechnology - June 24th, 2017
- Roche's lampalizumab halts geographic atrophy - European Biotechnology - June 23rd, 2017
- Eli Lilly Unveils $90M Expanded Biotechnology Center in San Diego - Times of San Diego - June 23rd, 2017
- Lilly Completes $90M Expansion of San Diego Biotechnology Center - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - June 23rd, 2017
- Biotechnology remains a mystery for many Canadians - Western Producer - June 23rd, 2017
- Shawnee Mission West High student wins international biotechnology competition - Kansas City Star - June 23rd, 2017
- Eli Lilly expands Biotechnology center - BSI bureau (press release) - June 23rd, 2017
- Play the iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology Index (ETF)'s (IBB) Popularity for Free - Investorplace.com - June 23rd, 2017
- AMD: Novartis challenge Regeneron - European Biotechnology - June 22nd, 2017
- Environmental Defense Fund: Sustainable farming, feeding growing population require biotechnology - Genetic Literacy Project - June 22nd, 2017
- Eli Lilly and Company Unveils Expanded Biotechnology Center in San Diego - PR Newswire (press release) - June 22nd, 2017
- Evotec invests in Facio Therapies - European Biotechnology - European Biotechnology - June 22nd, 2017
- NICreL Seeks FG's Support For NABDA To Boost Biotechnology ... - Leadership Newspapers - June 21st, 2017
- Opinion: Three must-own cancer stocks for your biotechnology portfolio - MarketWatch - June 20th, 2017
- Biotechnology could spur Africa's industrialisation - Southern Times Africa - June 20th, 2017
- On eve of biotech's big convention, Biotechnology Innovation ... - San Francisco Business Times - June 20th, 2017
- Trumann student starting ABI biotechnology research internship - Democrat Tribune - June 20th, 2017
- ASA Provides Input to USDA, FDA on Advances in Biotechnology - KTIC - June 17th, 2017
- Nerium Biotechnology Issues Shareholder Letter and Commences Selling NeriumAD Advanced in Mexico - Marketwired (press release) - June 17th, 2017
- $10M for birthplace of biotechnology - Innovators Magazine - June 17th, 2017
- Biotechnology expert proposed for top Chinese University of Hong Kong post - South China Morning Post - June 16th, 2017
- FBI says Chinese spying, theft of US agricultural biotechnology is 'a growing threat' - Genetic Literacy Project - June 16th, 2017
- This Biotechnology Company Wants to Reanimate the Brain-Dead - TrendinTech - June 16th, 2017
- Biotechnology company opens mosquito factory in Lexington ... - Lexington Herald Leader - June 15th, 2017
- Puma Biotechnology Inc (PBYI) Price Target Raised to $60.00 - The Cerbat Gem - June 15th, 2017
- Biotechnology FAQs | USDA - June 13th, 2017
- iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology Index Fund (IBB) Shares Sold by Neumann Capital Management LLC - The Cerbat Gem - June 13th, 2017
- New Master's Program Prepares Leaders in Biotechnology - Azusa Pacific University - June 12th, 2017
- JP Morgan Chase & Co Reiterates Overweight Rating for Puma Biotechnology Inc (PBYI) - The Cerbat Gem - June 12th, 2017
- North Forsyth grad plans to study biotechnology | Local News ... - Winston-Salem Journal - June 11th, 2017
- Smith Asset Management Group LP Has $206000 Stake in Puma Biotechnology Inc (PBYI) - The Cerbat Gem - June 11th, 2017
- Tauranga to host marine convention - SunLive - June 11th, 2017
- Puma Biotechnology's Neratinib Set To Target Extended Adjuvant Opportunity - Seeking Alpha - June 8th, 2017
- Global $92.9 Billion Biotechnology/Pharmaceutical Services ... - PR Newswire (press release) - June 8th, 2017
- iShares NASDAQ Biotechnology Index (IBB) Receiving Somewhat ... - The Cerbat Gem - June 8th, 2017
- ASU, Mexico partnership takes on biotechnology challenges - Arizona State University - June 7th, 2017
- The Case for and Against Puma Biotechnology, Inc. (PBYI) - StockNewsJournal - June 7th, 2017
- [ June 6, 2017 ] Solving Africa's food insecurity through biotechnology Agriculture - NIGERIAN TRIBUNE (press release) (blog) - June 6th, 2017
- Biotech Stock Performance Review -- Cellect Biotechnology, BioDelivery Sciences, BioLine Rx, and Benitec Biopharma - PR Newswire (press release) - June 6th, 2017
- Talking Biotech: Can biotechnology help protect forests from pests ... - Genetic Literacy Project - June 6th, 2017
- Puma Biotechnology announces positive trial results - Seeking Alpha - June 5th, 2017
- Tips to choose right Biotechnology College in Canada - Good Herald - June 5th, 2017
- iShares NASDAQ Biotechnology Index (IBB) Downgraded by Vetr Inc. to "Hold" - The Cerbat Gem - June 5th, 2017
- Zymeworks IPO bears good tidings for Canadian biotechnology - The Globe and Mail - June 4th, 2017
- Biotechnology College Programs Prepare You For Many Sectors of the Field - Good Herald - June 4th, 2017
- Studying Biotechnology And Microbiology For Career Building - Good Herald - June 4th, 2017
- Puma Biotechnology Announces Positive PB272 Phase II Data from TBCRC 022 Trial in Patients with HER2-Positive ... - Business Wire (press release) - June 4th, 2017
- Evolving Biotechnology - Good Herald - June 4th, 2017