Advancements in medical technologies have brought new challenges to sports regulators, especially the International Federations. One of the newest battlefields is transgender athletes.
Back in February, now-former marathon world-record holder Paula Radcliffe (GBR) sounded the alarm quite clearly, telling the BBC:
Right now, transgender women are not a threat to female sport. But you would be naive if you thought that, by not putting in any rules, it couldnt come to that at some point in the future.
People will manipulate this if there is an opening there to make money and win medals and weve seen the lengths people go to, the lengths Russia went to cheat in sport.
Absolutely, any transgender men or women should be able to access sport; it just depends which category.
The International Olympic Committee adopted rules in 2015 that are now outdated and has not been able to come to a consensus on new regulations as yet. But that has not stopped the International Assn. of Athletics Federations (IAAF, soon to be World Athletics) on its own path.
Moving forward after the Court of Arbitration for Sport upheld its new regulations on women with differences in sex development the Caster Semenya case the IAAF has now taken the lead in the transgender area, and working with other federations.
In a forthright approach to the issue, the IAAF hosted a meeting in Lausanne (SUI) on 19 October that included not only scientific and legal experts, but also the International Paralympic Committee and the International Federations for golf, tennis and rowing.
A report on this International Meeting on Transgender Eligibility in Competitive Sports was issued 12 days later and outlined with clarity a process which could be used for regulating trans-gender athletes who want to compete as female. Highlights:
2. Each sport is different with regard to the physical attributes that distinguish male from female performances and with regard to their policy preferences for classifications. Rules or regulations intended to accommodate trans athletes according to their gender identity should be sports-specific and designed by the relevant international federation. So that the eligibility standards remain consistent with the best available evidence, such rules or regulations should always be considered living documents, to be updated according to the latest scientific knowledge.
3. It is widely recognised that testosterone (T) distributes bimodally among male and female populations. T is also the primary known driver of the performance gap between males and females. Consequently, while acknowledging that testosterone is not the only physical basis for the performance gap, serum T has been found to be an acceptable proxy to distinguish males from females for sports purposes.
4. If a federation decides to use serum T for this purpose, in order to be consistent with the biological rationale for the female category, and based on current data, rules or regulations on trans womens eligibility for that category should adopt a fixed threshold at or below 5 nmol/L. Consistent with the fact that healthy female T levels are typically in the range from 0 to 1.7 nmol/L, it was noted that the typical medical target serum T for trans women who choose such intervention is well below 5 nmol/L.
For those who followed the Semenya case, the reference to 5 nanomoles per liter of blood is familiar: its the same level to which the IAAF now requires women with differences in sex development to meet to compete in events from 400 m to the mile. The transgender proposal would apply to all athletes wishing to compete in the female classification.
The report also noted that as with the Semenya case, there is also a time target to reduce high testosterone levels so as to create a level playing field for transgender athletes to compete as women:
The minimum interval between the achievement of the target serum T and eligibility for competition should be tailored for the purpose of each sport, and possibly also for events within a sport. Considering currently available scientific knowledge, an interval of at least 12 months remains reasonable; more may be appropriate depending on the sport and event.
These concepts werent chosen randomly, or based on simply guessing. In addition to the scientific testing on testosterone, most of this approach was modeled after the successful defense of the IAAFs regulations that were challenged by Semenya. Theres no doubt that a legal challenge will be thrown up against such rules as they are adopted; those regulations which will be upheld by the Court of Arbitration for Sport are those which are as narrowly-drawn as possible to achieve the desired effect of fair competition.
The IAAF issued its own regulations for transgender eligibility, approved by the IAAF Council in Doha (QAT) in October and effective as of 1 October 2019. The 21-page document requires those wishing to compete in the female division (in any event) to maintain serum testosterone levels of 5 nmol/L for a period of a year. The regulations note that typical womens testosterone levels are 0.6-1.68 nmol/L vs. normal male levels of 7.7-29.4 nmol/L.
But even as all this was going on, a new study was announced in the British Journal of Sports Medicine, in which a Swedish research team some of whom have worked with the IAAF tested the impact of a moderate testosterone increase on athletic achievement in young women.
The findings were that a modest, 10 mg treatment of testosterone cream increased serum testosterone by 378% from 0.9 nmol/L to 4.3 nmol/L and an 8.5% increase in running performance was observed. Thats substantial and continues to confirm the crucial role of testosterone in improved athletic performance.
The IAAF is leading the issue and the impact has already spread beyond the federations attending the Lausanne conference. On Monday (4th), the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) confirmed that it is pleased by the consensus obtained by the working group and The UCI shares the conclusions reached by the participants, who included representatives of transgender and cisgender athletes. The conclusions notably state that if a Federation decides to use serum testosterone to distinguish between male and female athletes, it should adopt a maximum threshold of 5nmol/L for eligibility for the female category. It plans to issue guidelines which can be adopted for use in 2020.
The UCIs statement is especially important given the current debate inside the cycling community following the second consecutive World Masters Sprint title won by Canadas Rachel McKinnon, a transgender female, in late October.
McKinnon says she is compliant with the IOCs 10 nmol/L regulations, but the firestorm about her status on social media makes it clear that new regulations will be just the start not the end of the debate.
There was a time, not long ago, when the IFs worried mostly about setting up event, publishing competition rules and trying to promote their sports. Now, the IAAF is leading the way even ahead of the IOC in some areas in organizing scientific programs both in research and in anti-doping and integrity enforcements.
There is a lot of criticism in track & field circles of IAAF chief Sebastian Coe and his Monaco-based headquarters team, about the recent World Championships in Doha (QAT) and about the standing of the sport internationally. But in the lab and in turning up the pressure on doping, they deserve credit.
If you enjoyed this commentary, sign up to receive our exclusive TSX Intelligence Report by e-mail by clicking here. You can also refer a friend by clicking here.
Here is the original post:
- In the know: Women in the news 1/6 - 1/10 - NBC News - January 13th, 2020
- Study Finds No Link Between Testosterone Levels and Reduced Cognitive Empathy - PsychCentral.com - January 12th, 2020
- BLS Pharma Alleges Inovio's Breach of Contract Obstructed Ability to Deliver Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Hypogonadism and the Transgender... - January 12th, 2020
- The Week Unwrapped podcast: Testosterone, vegans and locusts - The Week UK - January 12th, 2020
- Egg white and whey protein key to boosting male fertility, but slash 'healthy' fats and McDonald's muffins - FoodNavigator-Asia.com - January 12th, 2020
- Massive Growth of Testosterone Therapy Market by 2025 with Top Key Players like AbbVie Inc, Actavis Inc, Eli Lilly & Co, Auxilium Pharmaceuticals... - January 12th, 2020
- What is the up and coming for the Testosterone Booster Market? - Industry Newsdesk - January 6th, 2020
- DEADLINE ALERT - Lipocine Inc. (LPCN) - Bronstein, Gewirtz & Grossman, LLC Reminds Investors With Losses Exceeding $100K of Class Action and Lead... - January 6th, 2020
- Male Infertility: Tips to boost sperm count and increase fertility - TheHealthSite - January 6th, 2020
- 7 ways sleep deprivation is killing your health and career - Ladders - January 6th, 2020
- Norris Burkes: Did you fumble the ball last year? - Charleston Post Courier - January 6th, 2020
- Best of 2019: Common sense, and Title IX, need to prevail - The CT Mirror - January 6th, 2020
- Men who receive testosterone therapy nearly twice as likely to develop blood clots, researchers find - Minnesota Daily - December 18th, 2019
- This Intersex Runner Had Surgery to Compete. It Has Not Gone Well. - The New York Times - December 18th, 2019
- Clarus Therapeutics Expands Executive Team in Preparation for Landmark Launch of JATENZO (testosterone undecanoate) Capsules CIII - GlobeNewswire - December 18th, 2019
- 5 Workouts That Will Boost Your Testosterone Naturally - WSU Guardian - December 18th, 2019
- Global Testosterone Replacement Therapy Market |2018-2023| Qualitative & Quantitative Analysis, Key Vendors Analysis, Reliability, Growth... - December 18th, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Market CAGR Growth Expected to Be Linear Says AbbVie, Endo International, Eli lilly - Alpha News Report - December 18th, 2019
- New Way to Calculate "Dog Years" Raises Questions of Aging and DNA - The Great Courses Daily News - December 18th, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Market Expected to Deliver Dynamic Progression until 2028| AbbVie, Endo International, Eli lilly - Breaking News... - December 10th, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Market Top Players (Endo International, AbbVie, Eli lilly, Pfizer, Actavis, Bayer, Novartis, Teva, Mylan,... - December 10th, 2019
- People Are Poisoning Themselves With Essential Oils. Please Don't - IFLScience - December 10th, 2019
- What are the signs of low testosterone levels in men? - Times of India - December 8th, 2019
- Relugolix Induces Sustained Testosterone Reduction in Advanced PC, Phase 3 Trial Results Show - Prostate Cancer News Today - December 8th, 2019
- Surgeons Transplant a Testicle From One Brother to His Twin - The New York Times - December 8th, 2019
- Two teams 'full of testosterone': Ducks ready for grudge rematch with Capitals - The Athletic - December 8th, 2019
- What are the rules for trans athletes in football? - Goal.com - December 8th, 2019
- Testosterone: What It Can And Can't Do, Signs You're Low, And How To Increase It - Men's Health - December 8th, 2019
- Global Testosterone Replacement Therapy Market Insights, Growth Analysis, Forecasts to 2025: Endo International, AbbVie, Eli lilly, Pfizer, Actavis ,... - December 8th, 2019
- Prostate Cancer Development May Be Linked to High Blood Levels of 2 Hormones, Study Says - Prostate Cancer News Today - December 8th, 2019
- Transitioning: a threat to our children - Spiked - December 8th, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Market to See Admirable Grrowth by 2024 According to a New Research Report - Kentucky Reports - December 3rd, 2019
- Expanded U.S. NATETSO Partnership Between Acerus Pharmaceuticals and Aytu BioScience Is Now Fully Operational - Financial Post - December 3rd, 2019
- The Wolf of Wall Street Immersive Experience, review: an overlong scenario with the barely contained testosterone of a stag party - inews - December 3rd, 2019
- Daughters of women with PCOS face five times greater risk - The Guardian - December 3rd, 2019
- Where Have All the Alphas Gone? | Columns - PJ Media - December 3rd, 2019
- The Pill Can Make You Less Attracted to Jerks, and Other Surprising Facts About Birth Control - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 3rd, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Market To Witness Robust Expansion Throughout The Forecast Period 2019 2025 - Statsflash - December 3rd, 2019
- What supplements in the Exchange are worth your money? Part 3 - We Are The Mighty - December 3rd, 2019
- Should You Worry About Swollen Testicles? - University of Utah Health Care - November 22nd, 2019
- Symptoms of Low Testosterone in Men - FortuneHerald - November 22nd, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Market To Witness Huge Growth in 2024 - Downey Magazine - November 22nd, 2019
- At-home testing kits could help Maryland residents engage in their health - WBAL TV Baltimore - November 22nd, 2019
- 8 Awful Things That Happen to You After You Turn 30 (And What You Can Do to Stop Them) - Mandatory - November 22nd, 2019
- Why men who compete as female will always have an unfair advantage over real women - Lifesite - November 22nd, 2019
- Crush Your Fitness Goals with This Fat Burner and Testosterone Booster - Men's Journal - November 15th, 2019
- Acerus Reports Third Quarter and Year-to-Date Fiscal 2019 Financial Results - Business Wire - November 15th, 2019
- Hormone therapy offered by Student Health Service - UWEC Spectator - November 15th, 2019
- Same-sex relationship to unnatural testosterone, why Dutee Chand is the only Indian to feature on 'TIME 100 Next' - Free Press Journal - November 15th, 2019
- Testosterone therapy prescription linked to increased VTE risk in JAMA study - Specialty Medical Dialogues - November 15th, 2019
- New book refutes 'boys will be boys' - Futurity: Research News - November 15th, 2019
- What is Testosterone and Why is it Important? - News Anyway - November 12th, 2019
- Value and Size Of Testosterone Replacement Therapy Market From 2019 To 2024: Detailed Research Report - The Denton Chronicle - November 12th, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Industry: Time to Invest in emerging Markets | Endo International, Pfizer, Novartis - News Description - November 12th, 2019
- Global Testosterone Replacement Therapy Market Size And Share 2019: With Top Manufacturers, Applications, Key Regions, Growth Opportunities Forecast... - November 12th, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy: Controversy and Trends - Medscape - November 11th, 2019
- Lawsuit claims contract breached over transgender testosterone therapy - The San Diego Union-Tribune - November 11th, 2019
- Traces of testosterone: US womens tennis star provisionally suspended for doping violation - RT - November 11th, 2019
- Nike will look into runner Mary Cain's allegations of abuse - Minneapolis Star Tribune - November 11th, 2019
- Everything you need to know about steroids - RTE.ie - November 11th, 2019
- The double standard of feminism - University Star - November 11th, 2019
- Hearing into Team Sky doctor's lies in danger of being sent down blind alleys while the dirty secrets of Dave Brailsford's project stay uncovered -... - November 11th, 2019
- Brazil Nuts and Testosterone: Is There a Link? - Healthline - October 30th, 2019
- Side Effects of Hormone Therapy - Prostate Cancer Foundation - October 30th, 2019
- Is testosterone really the answer to my post-menopausal sexual problems? - The Guardian - October 30th, 2019
- Women are more likely to be diagnosed with depression. MSU study may help explain why. - Michigan Radio - October 30th, 2019
- Former Team Sky doctor Richard Freeman to admit to a lot of lies - Irish Times - October 30th, 2019
- Cory Booker Condemns 'Lock Him Up' Chant Against The President - The Daily Wire - October 30th, 2019
- Why has the field of male contraception not seen any progress? - Business Insider India - October 30th, 2019
- The link between anabolic steroids and gynecomastia in men - MENAFN.COM - October 30th, 2019
- Optimizing Diagnosis and Management of PCOS in Pediatric Patients - Endocrinology Advisor - October 22nd, 2019
- How To Deal When You Don't Want To *Do It* As Much As Your SO - Women's Health - October 22nd, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Market Growing Demand, Analysis by Key Players-Bayer, Novartis - The Market Journal - October 22nd, 2019
- Krygen XL has now become the best priced and best reviewed male enhancement supplement in the UK - I'm Herald - October 22nd, 2019
- Testosterone Booster Market Distinguished Technology Development with Major Production Goals Analysis by 2026 - Connecting Investor - October 22nd, 2019
- Katrina Karkazis on the Science of Masculinity - GQ - October 20th, 2019
- Sarah Connor Tested Testosterone To Make Her Role In TERMINATOR - Somag News - October 20th, 2019
- Can't Grow a Full Beard? There's an Explanation for That - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - October 20th, 2019
- Positive Association between Preoperative Total Testosterone and Lymph Node Invasion in Intermediate Risk Prostate Cancer. - UroToday - October 20th, 2019
- SIU 2019: Timing of ADT in the Era of STAMPEDE and LATITUDE - UroToday - October 20th, 2019