Childhood eczema affects 30 per cent of Aussie kids but treatment options are limited, leaving parents to try everything they can to ease the agonising pain.
At one point, about 80 per cent of one-year-old Cooper's skin was covered in bright red, angry eczema.
"It was red raw, hot, cracked and scaly, especially in the creases behind his knees and under his armpits which were like open sores," his mother Emma Read told 10 daily.
"Sometimes he'd be up all night, crying and itching."
Read, who lives near Byron Bay in NSW, said she often couldn't pick up her son due to the pain. When she tried to carry him in a sling, it would rub against his knees and he'd scream.
She said Cooper also developed hives, an itchy rash that may appear as blotches or raised red lumps on the skin.
"Sometimes he'd be up all night, and the only thing that would calm him down was for me to nurse him, even though he stopped breastfeeding ages ago," Read said.
Eczema, or dermatitis, is a common condition that causes redness and itching of the skin. When scratched, it can become infected with bacteria or certain viruses.
While the exact cause is not known, heat, dryness and "prickly" clothing can aggravate the condition. It's also common for those with eczema to have other allergies, but the allergy is not necessarily the cause.
According to data cited by the Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne, eczema affects about 30 per cent of Australian children and is most common in infants.
About 20 per cent of children under two will develop the condition, but then it tends to ease later in life.
Cheryl Talent, President of the Eczema Association of Australasia (EAA), said Australia has one of the highest incidences of eczema in the world.
"That's not just for babies -- across all ages, eczema is on the rise," she told 10 daily.
Because moisture is the essence of wetness ...
But Talent said there are limited treatment options available for sufferers -- and that what works for one person may not work for the next.
Treatments include topical steroids and using sensitive skin products, along with avoiding known triggers and irritants.
These could include inhalant allergens -- particularly in spring and summer -- such as pollen, mould, pet dander and dust mites, as well as food intolerances, perfumes, chemical and woollen or synthetic fabrics.
Read said she tried everything to help ease Cooper's eczema but that nothing worked.
Desperate to avoid any irritants, she even bought 10-litre water bottles every couple of days to bathe Cooper in filtered water.
It was only when she discovered a natural cream by Australian company MooGoo that her son's eczema started healing.
Within one week of applying the brand's 'Eczema and Psoriasis Cream' after Cooper's bath, his skin had calmed down. Now, it's part of his bedtime routine.
"The heat and angriness of the eczema disappeared overnight, and we're sleeping a lot better now," Read said.
MooGoo specialises in natural creams for those suffering from skin issues such as eczema, acne and psoriasis.
The company was founded by Craig Jones in 2005 afterhe realised his mothers psoriasis eased whenever she used a balm intended for use on cows.
That cream was formulated to help keep the skin on cows udders from chafing.
The family-run business now turns over about $20 million a year -- and a tubeof the 'miracle' cream sells every two minutes.
It combines anti-inflammatory ingredients, such as Aloe Vera, with natural oils that help to repair skin barrier function, which is impaired in eczema cases.
"There's nothing miraculous in it," Jones told 10 daily, adding part of his formula is leaving out certain ingredients.
Melbourne mum Desire Van Der Beek-Harker and daughter Aria, five, both have sensitive skin and are even allergic to toothpaste.
Their dermatitis flares when they use products containing sodium lauryl sulphate, parabens andpreservatives such as phenoxyethanol.
"Generally, I know what to stay away from for my skin allergies now, but when I was a child and teenager, my mum had no clue what was causing it,"Van Der Beek-Harker told 10 daily.
Van Der Beek-Harker has tried using cortisone creams but said she prefers using the MooGoo cream to calm, moisturise and heal wounds.
Jones said the product, which retails at $18.50, has spread through word of mouth.
"We don't advertise it as a medicinal product. What has made it work is mums telling their doctors about it," he said.
But he acknowledged the cream is only one part of the solution, and encouraged parents and sufferers to seek personalised medical advice.
Contact the author email@example.com
- Eczema symptoms: Whats the difference between eczema and psoriasis? - Express - July 3rd, 2020
- Vendor of the Week: Peaches N Cream soaps soothe the skin - Greenville Daily Reflector - July 3rd, 2020
- I make soap from my BREAST MILK and my whole family bathe with it its done wonders for our skin - The Sun - July 3rd, 2020
- Dermatology Diagnostic Devices and Therapeutics Market Analysis and Forecast 2017 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 3rd, 2020
- Eczema: Treatments, causes, symptoms and more - TODAY - TODAY - July 1st, 2020
- Genetics, profession: Heres the reason why eczema happens - Hindustan Times - July 1st, 2020
- Eczema treatment: Apply this essential oil to ease symptoms of the skin condition - Express - June 17th, 2020
- Eczema rash: The warning sign your skin condition has developed an infection - Express - June 17th, 2020
- Dermavant Announces Publication in JAAD of Secondary Efficacy and Patient-Reported Outcomes in Phase 2b Clinical Trial of Tapinarof Cream for the... - June 17th, 2020
- How To Protect Your Skin While Wearing A Face Mask - Grit Daily - June 17th, 2020
- Licorice Root: Benefits, Uses, Precautions, and Dosage - Healthline - June 17th, 2020
- New Cannabis Products: OTC Topicals, A Fast-Acting Line And A Creative Thinking Journal - Yahoo Finance - June 17th, 2020
- COVID 19 Prevention: The Good, The Bad and The Other. - Adventist News Network - June 17th, 2020
- Eczema cream: Dermatologists reveal the top three emollients to relieve itchy, sore skin - Express.co.uk - June 10th, 2020
- CBRE named exclusive leasing agent for growing salt therapy provider - NJBIZ - June 10th, 2020
- How To Keep Your Skin Healthy While Constantly Wearing A Face Mask - CBS Boston - June 10th, 2020
- Baby acne: symptoms, signs and treatment - Netdoctor - June 10th, 2020
- 3 ways to get rid of eczema and prevent flare ups - Insider - INSIDER - June 8th, 2020
- Binghamton biomedical researchers get closer to why eczema happens - Binghamton University - June 8th, 2020
- My Green Mattress announces 4th of July Sale - Cherokee Tribune Ledger News - June 8th, 2020
- Eczema rash: The one surprising irritant you may be wearing - Express - May 28th, 2020
- Baby Soothing Salves for Diaper Rashes, Eczema and Irritated Skin - SheKnows - May 28th, 2020
- Beware two products with potent medicinal ingredients, HSA warns - The Straits Times - May 28th, 2020
- Medical Medium Anthony William on Why You Need to 'Cleanse to Heal' - Extra - May 28th, 2020
- Eight houseplants which could help boost your health - Shields Gazette - May 28th, 2020
- HSA warns about 2 'health' products that contain steroids, dangerous dose of erectile dysfunction drug - straits times - May 28th, 2020
- Enhance your mask skincare routine with these expert tips - PGH City Paper - May 28th, 2020
- Eczema Skin-Care Products Market 2020 By Manufacturers, Regions, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- Slippery fugitive, editor fires shot and Bullnanza - Hillsboro Times Gazette - May 16th, 2020
- Mother-daughter duos create Ruby's Natural Hair Care to offer beauty remedies - Rolling Out - May 16th, 2020
- How to protect your skin while wearing a mask - Telegraph.co.uk - May 14th, 2020
- Lockdown beauty: Best self-care tips and tricks from the Turks | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - May 14th, 2020
- HOTH THERAPEUTICS : MANAGEMENT'S DISCUSSION AND ANALYSIS OF FINANCIAL CONDITION AND RESULTS OF OPERATIONS. (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - May 14th, 2020
- CQ Science Introduces CQuell: First-Ever Line of Cannabis-Derived Skincare Products for Sensitive Skin - Yahoo Finance - May 14th, 2020
- People are obsessed with Amazons No. 1 anti-aging body exfoliator: Youll wish you tried this sooner - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Eczema: Should you be worried about small, itchy blisters on your hands and feet? - Express - May 13th, 2020
- Cracked skin on hands and feet: Causes and treatments - Medical News Today - May 13th, 2020
- Eczema treatment - the 1.50 oil to protect against dry skin at home - Express - May 13th, 2020
- Helpful tips to protect your skin while wearing a mask - NorthcentralPa.com - May 13th, 2020
- The Best Tea Tree Oil Balm That You Can Buy on Amazon - STYLECASTER - May 13th, 2020
- Does your child have chronic ear, nose and throat symptoms? It could be allergies - Omaha World-Herald - May 13th, 2020
- Expert tips: A dermatologist on how to look after your skin at the moment - The Irish Times - May 13th, 2020
- 7 Types of Eczema: Symptoms, Causes, and Pictures - April 27th, 2020
- Brighton study could mean better treatment for babies with eczema and wheeziness - Brighton and Hove News - April 27th, 2020
- Mum claims 3.50 cream soothed her babys eczema which was so severe the tot couldnt get dressed or leave the - The Sun - April 27th, 2020
- Skin irritation becoming side effect of COVID-19 pandemic - WHNT News 19 - April 27th, 2020
- Amid Family Upheaval, a Heroine Finds Comfort in the Concrete - The New York Times - April 27th, 2020
- Itches, acne and insomnia: How stressing over coronavirus affects your body - Global News - April 27th, 2020
- Atopic Eczema Treatment Market 2020 Future Growth Prospects and Trends | Novartis AG, F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG, Pfizer Inc and Others - Cole of Duty - April 27th, 2020
- Stocks making the biggest moves in the premarket: American Express, Verizon, Intel, Tesla & more - CNBC - April 27th, 2020
- One in five with Covid-19 in Italy had same symptom - MyLondon - April 27th, 2020
- Soothe irritation with this $28 dermatologist-approved cream: 'Saved my skin' - AOL - April 27th, 2020
- Eczema Diet: Best Foods, Worst Foods, Special Diets, and More - April 21st, 2020
- Hand Eczema Is On The Rise Due To All Of Our Extra Handwashing - hypehair.com - April 21st, 2020
- LEO Pharma mounts another challenge to the eczema giants, betting $40M cash on a drug from China - Endpoints News - April 21st, 2020
- Exfoliating Eczema-Prone Skin: This Mens Bar Soap Is the Only Exfoliator That Doesnt Irritate My Skin - Self - April 21st, 2020
- COVID-19 Update: How To Avoid Dry Skin, Eczema And Dermatitis After Washing Hands More Frequently - International Business Times - April 21st, 2020
- What to do if you have dry skin or eczema from washing your hands repeatedly - Watford Observer - April 21st, 2020
- Skin Rashes and COVID-19 Connection Found by Dermatologists - Allure - April 21st, 2020
- Health Care Practitioners Give Advice for Dry Hands and Other Skin Conditions - WHO TV Des Moines - April 21st, 2020
- Beauty Of 5 #420 Edition: CBD And Hemp Seed Oil Products That Will Bless Your Skin - MadameNoire - April 21st, 2020
- Why is my skin worse in isolation? The reasons behind breakouts, spots, dryness and dull complexions - The National - April 21st, 2020
- Skin conditions and frequent hand-washing because of coronavirus what you should know - Health24 - April 21st, 2020
- Here's what to do if you have dry skin or eczema from repeatedly washing your hands - Derry Journal - April 13th, 2020
- Scientists identify a protein that switches on allergic itching - New Atlas - April 13th, 2020
- What to do when your extra clean hands are also cracked and dry - CBC.ca - April 13th, 2020
- Preventing Coronavirus Exposure When You Have Psoriasis and Eczema - Everyday Health - April 12th, 2020
- Here's Why Regenerons Stock Is Worth More Than Its Coronavirus Work - Motley Fool - April 12th, 2020
- Doctor recommends using superglue to heal painful condition: 'Believe it or not' - Yahoo News - April 12th, 2020
- Coronavirus: How to properly care for dry hands caused by hand-washing and sanitiser, according to dermatologists - The Independent - April 12th, 2020
- Do You Have 'Iso Skin'? Why Your Face Is Freaking Out And How To Fix It - 10 daily - April 12th, 2020
- Try This Vegan Carrot Cupcake Recipe, by the Creator of Lael Cakes - The Beet - April 12th, 2020
- Common protein in skin that directly activates itch-associated neurons: Study - Yahoo India News - April 12th, 2020
- #SkinSchool: How to tell if you have hand eczema - harpersbazaar.com - March 29th, 2020
- Eczema, dermatitis and how to treat dry, flaky and itchy skin - ABC News - March 29th, 2020
- Best ways to treat eczema - Daily Monitor - March 29th, 2020
- My Top 3 Drug Stocks to Buy in the Market Crash - Motley Fool - March 29th, 2020
- Teen Whose Friends Joked That She's 'Allergic To Her Boyfriend' After Painful Flare Up Is 'Saved' By $18 Coffee Scrub - Comic Sands - March 29th, 2020
- It takes a whole world to create a new virus, not just China - The Guardian - March 29th, 2020
- Hand-washing to fight the spread of coronavirus: Here are 6 hand lotions to heal dry, cracked skin - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 29th, 2020