Childhood eczema affects 30 per cent of Aussie kids but treatment options are limited, leaving parents to try everything they can to ease the agonising pain.
At one point, about 80 per cent of one-year-old Cooper's skin was covered in bright red, angry eczema.
"It was red raw, hot, cracked and scaly, especially in the creases behind his knees and under his armpits which were like open sores," his mother Emma Read told 10 daily.
"Sometimes he'd be up all night, crying and itching."
Read, who lives near Byron Bay in NSW, said she often couldn't pick up her son due to the pain. When she tried to carry him in a sling, it would rub against his knees and he'd scream.
She said Cooper also developed hives, an itchy rash that may appear as blotches or raised red lumps on the skin.
"Sometimes he'd be up all night, and the only thing that would calm him down was for me to nurse him, even though he stopped breastfeeding ages ago," Read said.
Eczema, or dermatitis, is a common condition that causes redness and itching of the skin. When scratched, it can become infected with bacteria or certain viruses.
While the exact cause is not known, heat, dryness and "prickly" clothing can aggravate the condition. It's also common for those with eczema to have other allergies, but the allergy is not necessarily the cause.
According to data cited by the Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne, eczema affects about 30 per cent of Australian children and is most common in infants.
About 20 per cent of children under two will develop the condition, but then it tends to ease later in life.
Cheryl Talent, President of the Eczema Association of Australasia (EAA), said Australia has one of the highest incidences of eczema in the world.
"That's not just for babies -- across all ages, eczema is on the rise," she told 10 daily.
Because moisture is the essence of wetness ...
But Talent said there are limited treatment options available for sufferers -- and that what works for one person may not work for the next.
Treatments include topical steroids and using sensitive skin products, along with avoiding known triggers and irritants.
These could include inhalant allergens -- particularly in spring and summer -- such as pollen, mould, pet dander and dust mites, as well as food intolerances, perfumes, chemical and woollen or synthetic fabrics.
Read said she tried everything to help ease Cooper's eczema but that nothing worked.
Desperate to avoid any irritants, she even bought 10-litre water bottles every couple of days to bathe Cooper in filtered water.
It was only when she discovered a natural cream by Australian company MooGoo that her son's eczema started healing.
Within one week of applying the brand's 'Eczema and Psoriasis Cream' after Cooper's bath, his skin had calmed down. Now, it's part of his bedtime routine.
"The heat and angriness of the eczema disappeared overnight, and we're sleeping a lot better now," Read said.
MooGoo specialises in natural creams for those suffering from skin issues such as eczema, acne and psoriasis.
The company was founded by Craig Jones in 2005 afterhe realised his mothers psoriasis eased whenever she used a balm intended for use on cows.
That cream was formulated to help keep the skin on cows udders from chafing.
The family-run business now turns over about $20 million a year -- and a tubeof the 'miracle' cream sells every two minutes.
It combines anti-inflammatory ingredients, such as Aloe Vera, with natural oils that help to repair skin barrier function, which is impaired in eczema cases.
"There's nothing miraculous in it," Jones told 10 daily, adding part of his formula is leaving out certain ingredients.
Melbourne mum Desire Van Der Beek-Harker and daughter Aria, five, both have sensitive skin and are even allergic to toothpaste.
Their dermatitis flares when they use products containing sodium lauryl sulphate, parabens andpreservatives such as phenoxyethanol.
"Generally, I know what to stay away from for my skin allergies now, but when I was a child and teenager, my mum had no clue what was causing it,"Van Der Beek-Harker told 10 daily.
Van Der Beek-Harker has tried using cortisone creams but said she prefers using the MooGoo cream to calm, moisturise and heal wounds.
Jones said the product, which retails at $18.50, has spread through word of mouth.
"We don't advertise it as a medicinal product. What has made it work is mums telling their doctors about it," he said.
But he acknowledged the cream is only one part of the solution, and encouraged parents and sufferers to seek personalised medical advice.
Contact the author email@example.com
- Im a dermatologist, and these are the mistakes I see people make when treating eczema - Well+Good - January 18th, 2020
- Alitretinoin an Effective Option in Children With Hand Eczema - Dermatology Advisor - January 18th, 2020
- News Local mom and engineer starts soap company inspired by her son with eczema Anu Prakash - WXYZ - January 18th, 2020
- Sheffield study of newborn babies seeks to prevent eczema - The Star - January 18th, 2020
- Colloidal Oatmeal: Why Derms Love This Ingredient for Dry or Irritated Skin - Self - January 18th, 2020
- Putting the Pro in Probiotics | Nutrition and Fitness | iosconews.com - Iosco County News Herald - January 18th, 2020
- Itchy face: Causes, symptoms, and treatment - Medical News Today - January 18th, 2020
- Bucks students urged to think before they comment on eczema - Mix 96 - January 18th, 2020
- 4 things to know about eczema - WRAL.com - January 18th, 2020
- 12 Itchy Skin Treatments That Work, According to Dermatologists - Prevention.com - January 18th, 2020
- Weeping Eczema: What Is It, And How To Know If You Have It | - SpaceCoastDaily.com - December 31st, 2019
- Works like magic Miracle cream claims to cure dry winter skin in just seven days and its less than 6 - woman&home - December 31st, 2019
- 10 Facts Moms Should Know About Babies And Eczema | BabyGaga - BabyGaga - December 31st, 2019
- Oldest cure that never spoils: Honey - Daily Sabah - December 31st, 2019
- Control eczema flare-ups with these itch-relieving creams - Yahoo Style - December 16th, 2019
- Emerging Markets Report - Hoth Therapeutics on the Fast Track Toward Delivering Eczema Therapy Products to Market - BioSpace - December 16th, 2019
- Love Island: Molly-Mae Hague says she has eczema since leaving the show - The Media Hq - December 16th, 2019
- LEO Pharma announces positive top-line results for tralokinumab from three Phase 3 studies in adult patients with moderate-to-severe AD - Business... - December 16th, 2019
- My Health, My Choice: Are you itching to improve dry skin? - VVdailypress.com - December 16th, 2019
- Atopic dermatitis in teens with skin of color - Dermatology Times - December 16th, 2019
- Medical News Today: Psoriasis vs. Eczema: Differences in Symptoms and Treatment - Wellston Journal - December 16th, 2019
- Im a Teen with Eczema and Its Impacted My Life More Than You Can Know - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 16th, 2019
- life-sized 'emma' reminds everyone what bad posture at work can lead to - Designboom - December 16th, 2019
- Sanofi Says Its $2.5 Billion Biotech Takeover Is Just the Beginning - The Motley Fool - December 16th, 2019
- Everything Parents Need To Know About Eczema In Kids - Yahoo Singapore News - December 10th, 2019
- Eczema Ointments and Creams Might Be a Big Part of the Problem - Gilmore Health News - December 10th, 2019
- Aldis 3.99 miracle cream which shoppers say blasts acne and helps eczema is back in stock - The Sun - December 10th, 2019
- How To Add Honey To Your Skincare Regimen - Forbes - December 10th, 2019
- Sensitive Skin: Causes, Symptoms, Triggers and Treatment Expert Tips - Allure - December 10th, 2019
- Eczema Skin-Care Products Market 2019- Global Industry Analysis, By Key Players, Segmentation, Application, Demand And Forecast By 2024 - Montana... - December 10th, 2019
- Prone To Irritation Around Your Eyes? You May Be Overlooking The Culprit - mindbodygreen.com - December 10th, 2019
- CBD Brands Initiates Study to Investigate a Novel Cannabidiol Lotion for the Treatment of Atopic Dermatitis (Eczema) - PRNewswire - December 3rd, 2019
- Why This Atopic Dermatitis Study Was So Well Received - 24/7 Wall St. - December 3rd, 2019
- Prevent Suffering From Skin Inflammation This Winter By Avoiding This One Thing - International Business Times - December 3rd, 2019
- Sanofi and Regeneron's medical congress campaign focuses on type 2 inflammation education for docs - FiercePharma - November 21st, 2019
- Atopic dermatitis linked to increased risk of atrial fibrillation - Dermatology Times - November 21st, 2019
- What is cica? Everything a dermatologist wants you to know about this buzzy ingredient - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 21st, 2019
- Discover the Eczema Market Size Research Report 2019-2028 - Daily News Collectors - November 21st, 2019
- Itching after a shower: Causes and remedies - Medical News Today - November 15th, 2019
- Itchy tattoo: Causes and treatment - Medical News Today - November 15th, 2019
- Mum whose toddlers eczema was so bad he needed to be bandaged praises 7 miracle cream - The Sun - November 15th, 2019
- Eczema: These essential oils will soothe your skin - TheHealthSite - November 15th, 2019
- The only way to cure my agonising eczema was to STOP treatment after I suffered horrendous withd - The Sun - November 15th, 2019
- Why eczema can get worse in the winter, according to a doctor - Daily Star - November 15th, 2019
- Montrose tot Alfie gets on his bike to raise cash for skin condition charity which has helped his family - The Courier - November 15th, 2019
- Atopic Eczema Treatment Market 2019, Trend, CAGR Status, Growth, Analysis and Forecast to 2024 - Virtualnewsusa - November 15th, 2019
- Evidence Growing That Eczema Itch More Than Skin Deep - Medscape - November 3rd, 2019
- Itchy Skin Conditions And Mental Health Are Linked, And We Need to Talk About It - ScienceAlert - November 3rd, 2019
- Ive Tried Hundreds Of Sensitive Skin Products Heres What I Recommend - Refinery29 - November 3rd, 2019
- This Creepy Life-Sized Doll Is a Warning About What Office Life Is Doing to Us - ScienceAlert - November 3rd, 2019
- Effectiveness of clinical decision support tools on pediatrician adherence to peanut allergy prevention guidelines - 2 Minute Medicine - November 3rd, 2019
- Eczema On The Face: How To Care For Your Skin Naturally - mindbodygreen.com - October 30th, 2019
- Best Eczema Makeup According to Dermatologists and Other Beauty Pros - STYLECASTER - October 30th, 2019
- How to keep your skin healthy this winter - Post Register - October 30th, 2019
- Norovirus to shigella and eczema the ultimate guide to protect your kids from winter bugs - The Sun - October 30th, 2019
- International Day of the Girl Child, Introducing 'Eiko Kitagawa' empowering woman from Japan - Thrive Global - October 30th, 2019
- A Terrifying Glimpse At What Office Workers Could Look Like In 20 Years - IFLScience - October 30th, 2019
- Eczema Awareness Month 2019 - Everyday Health - October 20th, 2019
- Chronic Itch: New Therapy, Complexities - MedPage Today - October 20th, 2019
- How mould and damp in your home affects your body and health - and what to do about it - MyLondon - October 20th, 2019
- Eczema Skin-Care Products Market Growth, Competition landscape, Sales, Revenue, Distributors and Forecast till 2025 - Online News Guru - October 20th, 2019
- 'I Tried Wet Wrap Therapy for Eczema, and It Helped Reset My Skin' - Everyday Health - October 17th, 2019
- Meet the Northern Ireland people battling eczema who are finally comfortable in their own skin - Belfast Telegraph - October 17th, 2019
- Our top scientists and the discovery that could revolutionise cancer, eczema treatment - The Age - October 17th, 2019
- Eczema Body Lotions That Will Save Your Winter Skin - STYLECASTER - October 17th, 2019
- Bausch Health Announces Updated Health Canada Safety Information for ELIDEL - Canada NewsWire - October 17th, 2019
- Study: Babies who are heavier at birth may have a higher risk of childhood allergies - Malay Mail - October 17th, 2019
- What Are the Benefits of Turmeric? - The New York Times - October 17th, 2019
- Give your Eczema-prone skin twice the nourishment it deserves with the help of Aveenos Dermexa - Business Mirror - October 17th, 2019
- Should You Try an Elimination Diet to Determine the Root Cause of Eczema? - Everyday Health - October 11th, 2019
- Long-Term Dupilumab Safe, Effective in Adolescents with Atopic Dermatitis - Pharmacy Times - October 11th, 2019
- Eating Fish in Early Childhood Even Just Once a Week Reduces Risk of Disease - SciTechDaily - October 11th, 2019
- Breath of fresh heir: how Succession became the must-watch TV of the year - The Guardian - October 11th, 2019
- Feed your kids fish if you want to reduce their risk of eczema & asthma - TimesLIVE - October 10th, 2019
- Dermatologist shares top tips for treating eczema - and busts myths about painful skin condition - Heart - October 10th, 2019
- Arcutis Announces Enrollment of Last Patient in Phase 2a Clinical Trial of ARQ-151 Cream as a Potential Topical Treatment for Atopic Dermatitis -... - October 10th, 2019
- LEO Pharma to Highlight Data at 28th Congress of the European Academy of Dermatology (EADV) - Yahoo Finance - October 10th, 2019
- Inside the First-Ever Skin Folks Event: A Series Aiming To Build a More Inclusive Skincare Community - Vogue - October 10th, 2019
- CBS4s Frances Wang Reveals Personal & Painful Skin Condition To Help Others - CBS Miami - October 4th, 2019
- Understanding a Social Movement and Its Goals of Social Change - Thrive Global - October 4th, 2019