Researchers have found evidence that an antidepressant drug could slow progression of Parkinsons disease.
A study by Michigan State University discovered that a drug – nortriptyline – can stop the growth of abnormal proteins that can build up in the brain.
The drug has been around for more than 50 years and is used to treat depression and nerve pain.
However, scientists believe it could have a new purpose.
Depression is a very frequent condition associated with Parkinson’s, so we became interested in whether an antidepressant could modify how the disease progresses,” said Tim Collier, lead study author of the research published in the journal Neurobiology of Disease.
Scientists looked at whether patients who had been on antidepressants needed to go on standard Parkinsons treatment later than people who hadnt used antidepressants.
Parkinsons sufferers are commonly prescribed a therapy called levodopa.
It increases levels of dopamine, which is a natural chemical in the body that sends signals to other nerve cells.
The disease can cause levels of dopamine to significantly decrease.
“We found that those on a certain class of antidepressant, called tricyclics, didn’t need the levodopa therapy until much later compared to those who weren’t on that type of antidepressant medication,” said Collier.
They discovered that the antidepressant decreased the amount of abnormal protein build up in the brain in rats.
The protein – called alpha-synuclein – can cause the brain’s nerve cells to die when in a clustered state.
Researchers believe that understanding how these proteins clump together could help them develop other drugs for Parkinsons.
“What we’ve essentially shown is that an already FDA-approved drug that’s been studied over 50 years and is relatively well tolerated could be a much simpler approach to treating the disease itself, not just the symptoms,” added Collier.
In the future they hope to test the antidepressant drug in a human clinical trial.
Parkinsons disease affects 127,000 people in the UK.
Here is the original post:
Parkinson’s disease cure: THIS common drug could slow progression of condition – Express.co.uk
- Parkinson Disease Treatment & Management: Approach ... - December 16th, 2017
- Parkinson's Foundation: Better Lives. Together. - December 15th, 2017
- Parkinson Secrets - Treatment tips for patients ... - December 15th, 2017
- Parkinson's Stem Cell Treatment | Parkinson's Disease Story - December 10th, 2017
- Parkinson's Disease Medication | Parkinson's Disease - December 6th, 2017
- Forced exercise: cycling in the treatment of Parkinsons ... - December 3rd, 2017
- Parkinson Canada | Parkinson Canada - November 30th, 2017
- Brain chemical lost in Parkinson's may contribute to its own demise - Science News Magazine - September 7th, 2017
- Sumitomo Dainippon Seeks Japanese Approval for Trerief to Treat Parkinsonism in Dementia Patients - Parkinson's News Today - September 7th, 2017
- Top stories: Why Costa Rica's crocodiles are changing sex and an ... - Science Magazine - September 5th, 2017
- Parkinson's symptoms reversed in monkeys by groundbreaking new treatment - The Independent - September 3rd, 2017
- UPDATE: Acorda Therapeutics shares crater 26% premarket after FDA rejects application for Parkinson's treatment - MarketWatch - September 1st, 2017
- An Advance in Treatment of Parkinson's Disease | American Council ... - American Council on Science and Health - September 1st, 2017
- Collaboration announced for development of Parkinson's treatment - EPM Magazine - September 1st, 2017
- Titan to Start Phase 1/2 Study of Subdermal Implant to Deliver Requip to Parkinson's Patients - Parkinson's News Today - September 1st, 2017
- We May Be Able to Treat Parkinson's Disease With an Implant - Fortune - August 25th, 2017
- Parkinson's Treatment by Internet Can Match In-person Visits ... - Parkinson's News Today - August 25th, 2017
- Parkinsons Disease Information from Parkinsons.org - August 21st, 2017
- Teletherapy as Effective as In-Person Treatment for Parkinson's Disease - PsychCentral.com - August 19th, 2017
- Survey: Patients With Parkinson's Disease, MS Report Efficacy From Medical Cannabis - eNews Park Forest - August 18th, 2017
- Diabetes Drug May Be Used as a Treatment for Parkinson's Disease - Healthline - August 18th, 2017
- Mirapex: A Miracle Treatment with Troubling Effects for Some - Parkinson's News Today - August 18th, 2017
- Diabetes Drug Improves Parkinson's Motor Symptoms in Small Trial - Alzforum - August 18th, 2017
- Global Kinetics Corp Secures First US Patent For Its Digital Health System - Markets Insider - August 15th, 2017
- Diabetes Medication Exenatide Shows Promise In Treating ... - MedicalResearch.com (blog) - August 11th, 2017
- Company Spotlight: Adamas Pharma - Markets Insider - August 11th, 2017
- Therapy improves mobility for Parkinson's disease patients - Victoria Advocate - August 11th, 2017
- For health-care VC, the search for a Parkinson's cure turns personal - CNBC - August 9th, 2017
- How Medical Cannabis Could Treat Parkinson's Disease ... - CannaTech.news - August 9th, 2017
- Good Samaritan now offers new treatment for Parkinson's - Terre Haute Tribune Star - August 9th, 2017
- A dose of longevity hormone may boost treatment for Parkinson's - Economic Times - August 9th, 2017
- Injured soldier Ben Parkinson launches review of his care - BBC News - August 9th, 2017
- Diabetes Drug Could Be Potential Parkinson's Treatment - Drug Discovery & Development - August 8th, 2017
- Local program turning back the clock for people with Parkinson's disease - WSBT-TV - August 8th, 2017
- A New Parkinson's Therapy Possibly - Science Magazine (blog) - August 8th, 2017
- Diabetes Drug Exenatide Shows Promise In Helping Parkinson's Disease Patients - DeathRattleSports.com - August 8th, 2017
- AgeWise: Answering questions about dementia - Winston-Salem Journal - August 7th, 2017
- A look at the $1.1b. Israeli technology for regulating Parkinson's - The Jerusalem Post - August 7th, 2017
- Around Danville: Linda Ronstadt to appear at Concours d'Elegance, Parkinson's fundraiser - East Bay Times - August 7th, 2017
- Diabetes Drug Could Help Treat Parkinson's Disease - Technology Networks - August 7th, 2017
- Diabetes Drug Shows Promise Against Parkinson's - WebMD - August 4th, 2017
- Upcoming Events - FDA Decision For Adamas In Parkinson's Dyskinesia And Growth Data For Versartis - Seeking Alpha - August 4th, 2017
- New Drug May Slow Progression of Parkinson's Disease - Newsmax - August 4th, 2017
- Atria Darien offers Parkinson's support group - The Darien News - August 4th, 2017
- Parkinson's disease 'may start in gut' - Gears Of Biz - August 4th, 2017
- Waterlogged brain region helps scientists gauge damage caused by ... - National Institutes of Health (press release) - August 1st, 2017
- Mislabeled Muscle Spasm, Parkinson's Drugs Prompt Recall - MPR - Monthly Prescribing Reference (registration) - August 1st, 2017
- Less sitting and more moving: Parkinson's support group starts in West Knoxville - WBIR-TV - July 12th, 2017
- Xadago Launched in US as Add-on Treatment for Parkinson's Disease - Parkinson's News Today - July 12th, 2017
- Therapy leads to results for Parkinson's patients (sponsored) - The Union of Grass Valley - July 12th, 2017
- Cells may hold key to treating Parkinson's disease - Hindustan Times - July 12th, 2017
- Parkinson's Disease: Prexton Announces Initiation Of Phase II Clinical Testing - Clinical Leader - July 12th, 2017
- Treatment in testing for sleep disorder commonly found in men with Parkinson's or LBD - WNDU-TV - July 10th, 2017
- Swiss Biotech Starts Phase II Trial to Treat Motor Symptoms of Parkinson's - Labiotech.eu (blog) - July 10th, 2017
- ADS-5102 (Amantadine) - Parkinson's News Today - July 8th, 2017
- New tool could lead to earlier diagnosis, better treatment of ... - Medical Xpress - July 7th, 2017
- Medical marijuana can treat Parkinson's - LancasterOnline - July 7th, 2017
- Find innovative speech therapy for Parkinson's at Lake Regional - Lakenewsonline.com - July 4th, 2017
- Link Between Parkinson's And Alzheimer's Diseases May Lead To ... - Medical Daily - July 4th, 2017
- Lenexa teen a BioGENEius for her Parkinson's research - Kansas City Star - July 1st, 2017
- What is bradyphrenia? Causes, symptoms, and treatment - Bel Marra Health - June 30th, 2017
- CARA In Pain, ALKS Enlightened, FDA Expands Approved Use Of AMGN's Vectibix - Markets Insider - June 30th, 2017
- Parkinson's Disease Patients are First to be Treated With Elekta's ... - PR Newswire (press release) - June 28th, 2017
- Individualizing deep brain stimulation in patients with Parkinson's ... - Medical Xpress - June 24th, 2017
- Parkinson's sufferers offer tips for those struggling with symptoms ... - Newton Daily News - June 24th, 2017
- Stimulating Parkinson's Research - UNLV NewsCenter - June 22nd, 2017
- Brain cell transplants to treat Parkinson's disease may return after 14 ... - Genetic Literacy Project - June 16th, 2017
- Brain Cells From Pigs Implanted Into Human Brains to Treat Parkinson's - Futurism - June 14th, 2017
- Hong Kong biotech start-up claims world first in stem cell treatment of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases - South China Morning Post - June 14th, 2017
- Drug reduces dyskinesia, 'off' times in Parkinson's patients - WHTC - June 13th, 2017
- Brain cells from pigs might help treat Parkinson's patients | New York ... - New York Post - June 13th, 2017
- Pig brain cells implanted into brains of people with Parkinson's - New Scientist - June 13th, 2017
- Adamas provides updated results from pivotal Parkinson's study - The Pharma Letter (registration) - June 11th, 2017
- Patient Voices: Parkinson's Disease - New York Times - June 7th, 2017
- Finding Could Speed Development of New Parkinson's Treatments - UB School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences News - June 6th, 2017
- Non-invasive brain stimulation shows potential to treat Parkinson's ... - The Engineer - June 5th, 2017
- Soy sauce fungus paves way for cheaper Parkinson's treatment ... - RT - May 31st, 2017
- Global Kinetics Corporation and Parkinson's Foundation Announce First Patient Enrolled in APPRISE - PR Newswire (press release) - May 31st, 2017
- Can't stop with those fries? Scientists find clue to halting binge eating - Sacramento Bee - May 31st, 2017
- New enzyme key to better Parkinson's disease treatment - Phys.Org - May 31st, 2017