While there is no cure for Parkinsons at this time, there are a number of treatments that can ease symptoms. Parkinsons medications are the mainstay of treatment, but modalities are often used in combination. Physical, occupational and speech therapy can be critical to the treatment plan. Surgical options also have an important role for a subset of patients with Parkinsons disease. Finally, complementary therapies can be used to treat some Parkinsons disease symptoms. Your physician and other healthcare professionals can help you determine the best treatment plan for your symptoms.
Medication can help control the symptoms of Parkinsons disease, as well as their potential side effects.
You can also read APDAs published supplements on Parkinsons medication:
Physical, occupational and speech therapists can be important partners in the treatment of Parkinsons disease. Physical therapy can improve your gait and direct you to the right exercise regimen. Occupational therapy can be helpful to maximize your fine motor skills. Speech therapy can be useful to address speech and language barriers that may arise with Parkinsons disease.
Some patients with Parkinsons disease may benefit from deep brain stimulation (DBS), a surgical therapy that has been FDA approved for over a decade. DBS involves implanting an electrode into a targeted area of the brain, usually the subthalamic nucleus (STN) or the globus pallidus interna (GPI). The implants can be done on one side or both sides of the brain as needed. The electrodes are stimulated through a connection to a pacemaker-like device located under the skin in the chest. Patients that are considered good candidates for this procedure are those with a robust response to Levodopa, no significant cognitive or psychiatric problems, and no significant problems with balance. The procedure can help patients with medication-resistant tremors. It can also help patients who have significant motor fluctuations in which medication response varies during the day and dyskinesias or extra movements may occur as a side effect of medication.
A healthy diet can increase energy, maximize the potential of medications, and promote overall well-being. Click here to review a Webinar entitled Living Well Everyday which reviews the principles of good nutrition for Parkinsons disease.
A proper exercise program can include cardiorespiratory exercise (fitness training), resistance exercises (strength training), flexibility exercises (stretching) and gait and balance training. Read more about exercise and Parkinsons in APDAs Be Active guide.
Click here to review the Webinar entitled Staying Healthy, Keeping Fit for even more information on exercise and PD.
Complementary medicine incorporates many different practices that can be used alongside conventional medicine to try to ease PD symptoms. There is typically not as much rigorous data to support the use of complementary medicine techniques, as compared to conventional medicine, but many patients find them helpful. These include yoga and massage.
Clinical trials and their participants have revolutionized Parkinsons treatment, and have changed the lives dramatically of those affected. They have helped make available many new treatments in addition to improving the delivery methods of medications and new deep brain stimulation techniques.
Clinical trials are essential to the future of Parkinsons research, and APDA is committed to this vital effort.
Assembling a team that will provide you with physical and emotional support and adapt to your needs over time is one of the best ways to remain healthy. Parkinsons disease is complex and requires an interdisciplinary approach to care. The care team may include, but is not limited to:
The doctor you choose to treat your Parkinsons disease should be someone with whom you can develop a good partnership.
To get a more in-depth understanding of Parkinsons disease, its effect on the lives of those who have it, and how it can be treated, follow the links below:
See more here:
Treatment & Medication | American Parkinson Disease Assoc.
- What We Wish We Had Known Before Our Parkinson's Diagnosis - Parkinson's News Today - July 7th, 2020
- Ongentys Approved in Japan to Help Treat Parkinson's 'Off' Periods - Parkinson's News Today - July 7th, 2020
- Parkinson's Disease Treatment Depth Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 7th, 2020
- Protect Yourself Against Heat-Related Illness - Press of Atlantic City - July 7th, 2020
- Pfizer re-ups on Mission Therapeutics collaboration, leading a $15M round and grabbing first dibs on DUBs - Endpoints News - July 7th, 2020
- Parkinsons disease symptoms: Do you wake up in the night with this problem? Warning sign - Express - July 4th, 2020
- Neuron breakthrough raises hopes for possible Parkinsons treatment - Financial Times - June 26th, 2020
- This One-Time Treatment Reversed Parkinson's Disease in Mice - Interesting Engineering - June 26th, 2020
- What Innovations, Technologies Are Emerging in the Pipeline of Parkinson Disease Treatment? - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - June 26th, 2020
- Delayed Treatments For Heart Conditions, Cancer During The Pandemic Worry Medical Experts - Kaiser Health News - June 26th, 2020
- National Institute on Aging awards $15 million to Stanford's Alzheimer's Disease Research Center - Stanford Medical Center Report - June 26th, 2020
- Parkinson's Disease Treatment Market Size, Overview, Share, Growth Factor and Analysis to 2025 - MENAFN.COM - June 26th, 2020
- Fox Foundation Grant to Validate Protein Biomarkers of Early Parkinson's - Parkinson's News Today - June 26th, 2020
- Focused Ultrasound Shows Potential Against Deadliest Brain Tumor - University of Virginia - June 26th, 2020
- Oleh Hornykiewicz, Who Discovered Parkinsons Treatment, Dies at 93 - The New York Times - June 15th, 2020
- New MRI Methods Could Improve Treatment for Tremor and Parkinson's - Diagnostic Imaging - June 15th, 2020
- Advanced MRI Scans May Improve Treatment of Tremor, Parkinsons Disease - Newswise - June 15th, 2020
- Parkinsons Disease Treatment Market Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 15th, 2020
- Parkinsons disease warning - the subtle changes to your skin that could reveal risk - Express - June 15th, 2020
- INBRAIN Neuroelectronics receives funding to push forward the development of graphene-based implants for brain disorders - Graphene-Info - June 15th, 2020
- Listen: Chan-Zuck uprising, virtual BIO, and the struggle to treat Covid-19 - STAT - June 15th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Parkinson's Disease Treatment Market to Witness a Pronounce Growth During 2020-2025, Top key players are GSK, Merck, Novartis,... - June 1st, 2020
- ACADIA Pharmaceuticals to Combine CLARITY-2 and CLARITY-3 Phase 3 Studies Evaluating Pimavanserin for the Adjunctive Treatment of Major Depressive... - June 1st, 2020
- Minerva Neurosciences Announces Results From Phase 3 Trial of Roluperidone (MIN-101) for Treatment of Negative Symptoms in Schizophrenia -... - June 1st, 2020
- Parkinsons disease: Feeling this sensation in your muscles is a warning - Express - May 17th, 2020
- Parkinson's Disease Treatment Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 17th, 2020
- Parkinson's, Alzheimer's disease and other brain disorders - The neurological manifestations of COVID-19 - Times Now - May 17th, 2020
- Understanding the Relationship Between Cannabidiol and Psychosis: Clinical Issues - Psychiatric Times - May 15th, 2020
- Adamas announces issuance of new US patent for GOCOVRI in Parkinson's disease - expands coverage with reduction of 'OFF' time and increased 'good ON'... - May 15th, 2020
- Parkinsons Disease Treatment Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Bandera County Courier - May 15th, 2020
- Parkinsons disease: The subtle sign of Parkinsons in your urine - could you be at risk? - Express - May 15th, 2020
- Sunovion ditches once-rejected ADHD, binge eating program - FierceBiotech - May 15th, 2020
- Prevail Therapeutics Reports First Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Business Highlights - GlobeNewswire - May 15th, 2020
- Aptinyx Reports First Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Highlights - Financialbuzz.com - May 15th, 2020
- Sangamo And Biogen Tie Up, And Other News: The Good, Bad And Ugly Of Biopharma - Seeking Alpha - April 13th, 2020
- Are Psychedelics Our Most Promising New Treatments for Depression, Anxiety, and Addiction? - TownandCountrymag.com - April 13th, 2020
- Funding roundup: At-home medical exams and a Parkinson's treatment - MedCity News - April 13th, 2020
- Experts draw attention to the 'hidden sorrows' of COVID-19 and Parkin - Medical News Today - April 13th, 2020
- Brain Discovery Could Have Important Implications for Neurodegenerative Diseases - University of Virginia - April 13th, 2020
- Stanford researchers devise treatment that relieved depression in 90% of participants in small study - Stanford Medical Center Report - April 13th, 2020
- My Health, My Choice: Recognizing symptoms is step one in neurodiagnostic awareness - VVdailypress.com - April 13th, 2020
- You Pray That You Got The Drug. Ailing Couple Gambles On Trial For COVID-19 Cure - Kaiser Health News - April 13th, 2020
- Stem cell treatment works for many, but insurance doesn't cover it - msnNOW - April 13th, 2020
- This Is What You Need To Know bout Parkinsons Disease - Modern Ghana - April 13th, 2020
- World Parkinsons Day: Can you tell the facts from the myths? - The Indian Express - April 13th, 2020
- As Of 2020, is there a Clear Cure for Parkinsons Disease? - Loop21 - March 30th, 2020
- Nursing home resident is 7th person to die of coronavirus in Arkansas - Arkansas Online - March 30th, 2020
- FDA Approves a Novel Medicine Invented at Scripps Research, For Treatment of Multiple Sclerosis - Technology Networks - March 30th, 2020
- How Is Parkinson's Disease Treated? | ParkinsonsDisease.net - March 29th, 2020
- Parkinson's Disease Treatment Market 2020 | Growing Rapidly with Significant CAGR, Leading Players, Innovative Trends and Expected Revenue by 2026 -... - March 29th, 2020
- Vision Problems Are a Serious Health Issue for People With Parkinson's - Healthline - March 21st, 2020
- Putting Treatments into Motion - Chicago Health - March 21st, 2020
- New Research Among People Living With Rheumatoid Arthritis Reveals Key Determinants Of Patient Satisfaction With Doctors - Monterey County Weekly - March 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus treatment research is delayed by Trumps ban on the use of fetal tissue - Vox.com - March 21st, 2020
- CORRECTING and REPLACING Neuraly Announces First Patient Dosed in Phase 2 Clinical Trial of NLY01 for Patients with Parkinsons Disease - Yahoo Finance - March 5th, 2020
- A Tale of a Beating Heart and the Will to Move Forward - Parkinson's News Today - March 5th, 2020
- Molecular Signature of Young-Onset Parkinson's Disease Is... : Neurology Today - LWW Journals - March 5th, 2020
- Prevail Therapeutics Provides Clinical Advancement Update on PR001 for the Treatment of Parkinsons Disease with GBA1 mutations - Yahoo Finance - March 5th, 2020
- SENIOR SPOTLIGHT: The many benefits of support groups - Lockport Union-Sun & Journal - March 5th, 2020
- Treating And Preventing Injuries - Midweek - March 5th, 2020
- H Lundbeck A/S : Lundbeck receives grant from The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's disease research - marketscreener.com - March 5th, 2020
- Biogen, Sangamo Ink Neuro Deal for New Gene Regulation Therapies - Xconomy - March 5th, 2020
- Voyager Therapeutics Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Financial Results and Corporate Updates - Yahoo Finance - March 5th, 2020
- The Michael J. Fox Foundation Relaunches Parkinson's Clinical Study Matching Tool - Look to the Stars - March 2nd, 2020
- Prevail Therapeutics Announces Investigational New Drug Application Active for PR006 for the Treatment of Frontotemporal Dementia with GRN Mutation -... - March 2nd, 2020
- Global Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome Treatment Market 2020-2025 Business Insights and Sustainable Growth in Respective Industry - Bandera County... - March 2nd, 2020
- INTRA CELLULAR THERAPIES : MANAGEMENT'S DISCUSSION AND ANALYSIS OF FINANCIAL CONDITION AND RESULTS OF OPERATIONS (form 10-K) - marketscreener.com - March 2nd, 2020
- Parkinson's Disease Treatment Market Share, Analysis, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies & Forecast up to 2028 - Feed Road - March 2nd, 2020
- How a Parkinson's Protein Wreaks Havoc in the Brain - Technology Networks - February 15th, 2020
- Parkinsons: Innovative method stops toxic protein buildup - Medical News Today - February 15th, 2020
- Parkinson's driven by inflammation, genetics and the environment - UAB News - February 15th, 2020
- PARKINSON: Prepare for the moment; its never what it once was - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - February 15th, 2020
- The Neuroprotective Effects of Lithium - Psychiatric Times - February 15th, 2020
- Parkinsons Disease Treatment Market 2019- Global Industry Analysis, by Key Players, Segmentation, Application, Demand and Forecast by 2025 - Instant... - February 15th, 2020
- Biomarkers pave way for blood test to predict Parkinson's progression - New Atlas - February 15th, 2020
- Parkinson's Disease Treatment Market 2019 Analysis by Key Players, Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 15th, 2020
- Upcoming events Avadel takes on Jazz and Axovant awaits early results - Vantage - February 15th, 2020
- Are stem cells really the key to making humans live longer? - Wired.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- VistaGen Therapeutics Reports Fiscal 2020 Third Quarter Financial Results and Provides CNS Pipeline Overview - Yahoo Finance - February 15th, 2020
- GB Sciences Announces Outstanding Results from Preclinical Study of Its Parkinson's Disease Formulations - PRNewswire - December 21st, 2019