Are you letting some of the best hunting of the season slip away as you skip October for the much-hyped November rut? You may be doing yourself a huge disservice through that simple act. Why hunt October, specifically the last two weeks over the sacred rut? There are a host of positive factors in play that make late-October hunting a far better prospect than the melee that may occur in the rut. Every hunting season, my dates to tag a Kansas giant inch closer and closer to the October ending as opposed to my traditional mid-November push. Here are some of the dynamics to consider if this pre-Halloween possibility intrigues you.
The fall rut wouldnt be the rut without this one important chemical component: testosterone. Testosterone is found in all mammals, including you. It is associated with males, but females also produce small amounts. Although it is primarily associated with sex drive and sperm production, it also affects bone and muscle mass, plus how fat is stored in an animals body and red blood cell production. Obviously it can create moodiness as shown by the aggressiveness of certain bucks. High or low levels of testosterone establish the intensity of its effect on individuals.
Whitetail bucks have a surge of testosterone in the fall to compliment the breeding season when does come into estrus. Unfortunately for bucks, their testosterone peak is in the last half of October in most traditional whitetail zones, thus beating the first estrus does by nearly two weeks. This leaves them charged and ready but with unwilling dates.
They burn off this sexual aggression by setting the pecking order with their bachelor friends, sparring with summer associates, rubbing trees to relieve tension and establishing scrapes around a home territory. All of this leads to an increase in movement with added minutes during the opportunistic hours of dawn and dusk.
Testosterone is reason number one to hunt the latter half of October. Bucks are anxious, moving and becoming increasingly more visible.
As you consider the possibilities of bucks running amuck, you should also be perceptive of hunting pressure. According to labor statistics, any given day there are approximately 150 million Americans taking part in the nations workforce. The majority of those 150 million receive two weeks of paid leave in addition to emergency and sick leave. When these workers begin to divvy up those days off between vacation, family necessities, holidays and other essential duties, there are very few days left for hunting except weekends.
There are no hard stats on how many hunters take vacation during the peak of the rut, but from years of hunting that period and counting vehicles parked off of farm roads it appears that late October may be overlooked for mid-November. You also may have taken workplace unratified polls showing that your buddies are likely taking more time off to hunt in November than October. If youre getting this empty-field feeling like me, it means less hunting pressure for you. Whitetails may be less likely to move only under the cover of darkness, and you may not bump into as many hunters on public lands. All of these add up to higher success for you if youve done your scouting.
Putting in your scouting time should reveal this next benefit to hunting late October: predictability. Youve all heard stories of the dreaded lockdown and bucks disappearing into the hinterlands with estrus does. Theres truth to these stories, and youve likely experienced the worst of the rut.
Typically a buck will trail a doe for an entire day as she enters into estrus. Once estrus advances, hell shadow her another day as breeding takes place. Afterwards, he may stay the course for one more day or less before hitting the trail to hunt down another doe.
Breeding deer go underground and out of sight. They do this to avoid competition from other bucks. They dont want to share, be challenged or lose their opportunity at breeding rights. On the flip side, bucks in late October rarely find a willing partner. Of course the testosterone surge keeps them looking, especially 3- and 4-year-olds who dominate the breeding scene.
Luckily they understand that does arent in estrus so instead of straying boundaries they just pace home territories, increase rubbing and plaster scrapes everywhere along their routes. They visit food sources on a set schedule to check does, maintain fat and to continue their dominance proclamation. All of this equals predictability that goes out the window when the first November does comes into heat.
Lastly, if you enjoy hunting whitetails while using some of the latest and greatest ruses, grin a bit more. Nervous, restless, aggressive and enthusiastic qualities of pre-rut bucks equal success with some of the most exciting tactics of the time.
First, mock scrapes created with the use of high-quality scents can give you a shot at a distracted buck investigating a mock olfactory flavor. I rarely hunt a trailside stand without hanging a Wildlife Research Center Magnum Scrape Dripper over a scrape, natural or mock. By adding Golden Estrus scent into the dripper that is activated by the heat of the day, I can be assured it leaves traces of a would-be doe only during shooting light.
You can distract a buck with a mock rubbing post as well. Studies prove whitetails are attracted to the most aromatic trees in the woods for rubbing so take a cedar post to your hotspot and plant it upwind of your stand to lure in a jacked-up buck. This is best done in the preseason, but you can also slip in on a windy or rainy day and get the job done quietly if needed.
Finally, buck decoys and calls can work wonders in flipping the negativity switch on a dominant buck. If your target buck hears sounds of fighting or another in his territory, and then spies a defiant male hes likely to walk right in to shooting range. Better yet, hell have his full attention focused away from your stand site.
As does come into estrus its not uncommon at all to have bucks ignore calls, not hear them and even walk by decoys in a rush to find the next hot opportunity. On several occasions while hunting on the ground Ive nearly been run over in late October by bucks charging to rattling. I also note a steady decline in calling effectiveness as the days slip by in November. Bucks have too much female focus to be sidelined with boys at play. October calling is simply better than during the peak rut.
Hunts that include calling always top my list of memories and more often than not the wildest calling situations played out in October. One drizzly, October evening I spied a buck rubbing saplings across a woodland glade. I grabbed his attention with three simple grunts and a minute later he was under me at 12 yards for a no-miss Mathews ending.
So if youre thinking of asking your employer for time off during the November rut you may want to think again. October may be the new November. Try it. Youll like it.
See original here:
- Ego might drive men to testosterone therapy, but it helps with certain conditions - The Columbus Dispatch - June 13th, 2020
- Global Testosterone Cypionate Injection Market 2020 Worldwide Industry Size, Key Vendors, Growth Drivers, Opportunity, Forecast to 2025 - Jewish Life... - June 13th, 2020
- QOL and body composition benefits seen with novel oral T treatment - Urology Times - June 13th, 2020
- How to get Bull Shark Testosterone in GTA 5 Online to complete your daily objective - Republic World - Republic World - June 13th, 2020
- Trending News: COVID-19 Impact ON Testosterone Replacement Therapy Market Regional Outlook, Analysis and Competitive Analysis by 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 13th, 2020
- Is There New Hope for Trans Men Trying to Give Birth? - Advocate.com - June 13th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Market Overview and Outlook Report by 2026 - Weekly Wall - June 13th, 2020
- Viewing Party! Lets All Watch Nine to Five! - The New York Times - June 13th, 2020
- Title IX and transgender athletes - The Boston Globe - June 13th, 2020
- The impact of the coronavirus on the Testosterone Cypionate Market 2019 2025 By Type, Component, Industry, Region - 3rd Watch News - May 31st, 2020
- 3 ways stress is affecting your sex drive - SF Weekly - May 31st, 2020
- Testosterone Booster Market Research Report 2020: Key Players, Applications, Drivers, Trends and Forecast to 2026 - WaterCloud News - May 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus update: Why are more men dying from COVID-19 compared to women? - Express - May 31st, 2020
- Testosterone Cypionate Competitive Market Research Report 2020: Key Players, Applications, Drivers, Trends and Forecast to 2026 - WaterCloud News - May 31st, 2020
- Experts reveal the crucial role testosterone could be playing in boosting coronavirus - Express.co.uk - May 25th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Testosterone Replacement Therapy 2020-2027 with Focusing Key players like AbbVie, Endo International, Eli lilly, etc - 3rd Watch... - May 25th, 2020
- Lance Armstrong documentary: The characters you'll want to know - ESPN - May 25th, 2020
- LL Cool J says he paved the way for Drake to rap about his feelings - NME - May 25th, 2020
- HSD3B1 Genotype Tied to Worse Outcomes in Low-Volume mCSPC - Renal and Urology News - May 25th, 2020
- Low testosterone levels could be the reason more men are dying of COVID-19 than women - Diabetes.co.uk - May 23rd, 2020
- Men's healthy aging: Herbal superstars - Nutritional Outlook - May 23rd, 2020
- Women in Charge: Success Against the Coronavirus - The New York Times - May 23rd, 2020
- Testosterone Propionates Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, and Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact... - May 23rd, 2020
- Cover COVID 19: Testosterone Replacement Therapy Market Size Status and Prospect (2020-2026) Mylan,... - Azizsalon News - May 23rd, 2020
- Jack Monroe: 'My back-up plan is to go back to working at the supermarket' - The Guardian - May 23rd, 2020
- Veterans with COVID-19 Will Be Given Prostate Cancer Drug in Trial - Yahoo News - May 23rd, 2020
- Fire Good. The Surprising Health Benefits of Making a Campfire - Men's Journal - May 15th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Market Exclusive Study Forecast 2027 | Endo Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Eli Lilly and Company, Kyowa Kirin International... - May 15th, 2020
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Business Impact Testosterone Replacement Therapy to Flourish with an Impressive CAGR During 2019-2025 - 3rd Watch News - May 15th, 2020
- How DIM Supplements Work On Hormonal Acne, According To A Derm - Women's Health - May 15th, 2020
- Vicky Kaushal's 'Josh' has shattered stereotypes, redefined masculinity, and charmed BO too - Economic Times - May 15th, 2020
- Transdermal Testosterone Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 15th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Market In-Depth Analysis, Growth Strategies and Comprehensive Forecast to 2026 - Bandera County Courier - May 11th, 2020
- Dear Dr. Roach: All X-rays and CT scans use radiation - Herald & Review - May 11th, 2020
- Latest Study explores the Testosterone Replacement Therapy Market Witness Highest Growth in near future - AlgosOnline - May 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Men Are Twice As Likely To Die And The Reason Is Testosterone - Latin Times - May 11th, 2020
- Higher testosterone levels in men who smoke cannabis - The Leaf Online - May 11th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Market 2020 | Growth Drivers, Challenges, Trends, Market Dynamics and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 11th, 2020
- Outdoors: Theres more to turkeys necks than just color - Worcester Telegram - May 11th, 2020
- Many more men are dying from COVID-19 than women. Why is that? - ZME Science - April 25th, 2020
- Viagra and Cialis usually safe for those with heart disease | News, Sports, Jobs - Lock Haven Express - April 25th, 2020
- Here's The Answer To Whether Masturbation Is Affecting Your Muscle Gains & Testosterone Levels - MensXP.com - April 25th, 2020
- New fact: Coronavirus may affect the potency of males, says new study - International Business Times, Singapore Edition - April 25th, 2020
- Extraction review: Chris Hemsworth stars in another testosterone-charged, heroic fantasy - The Independent - April 25th, 2020
- 5 Ways to Improve Testosterone in 2020 - ChartAttack - April 25th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Introduces Kang-Tao And Animals - GamingBolt - April 25th, 2020
- Dear Dr. Roach: Baldness treatment unlikely to spark more osteoporosis - Herald & Review - April 25th, 2020
- The FEI tribunal has issued decisions in eight doping and abuse cases - Eurosport.com - April 25th, 2020
- Global Human Immunoglobulin (pH4) for Intravenous Injection (COVID-19) Market to Surpass US$ 99,772.2 Million by 2027 - CMI - GlobeNewswire - April 25th, 2020
- Gainzzzz: The science and nutrition of sleep and muscles - Natural Products INSIDER - April 25th, 2020
- Male Hormonal Contraception Market 2020: Opportunities in Grooming Regions WHO, NICHD, NIH and Others - Cole of Duty - April 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus and Men: Why Is the Virus So Much More Deadly to Men? - GQ - April 25th, 2020
- Varicose Veins Doctors Provide Quality Care with Their Team of Highly-Skilled Vein Specialists and Support Staff in New York - Benzinga - March 29th, 2020
- What The Hell Is Period Beauty And Why Is It So 2020? - Sporteluxe - March 29th, 2020
- Americana: The best pick-up line - Daily Herald - March 29th, 2020
- Suffering from thinning hair? Your diet could be the reason why - Telegraph.co.uk - March 29th, 2020
- The 90s Animated Series CONAN: THE ADVENTURER Fueled Kids with Massive Amounts of Testosterone - GeekTyrant - March 25th, 2020
- Best Testosterone Pills And Testosterone Boosters Do They Actually Work? - The RSFE News - March 25th, 2020
- Everyone Else Is Dealing with COVID-19. Idahos Pushing an Anti-Trans Bill - VICE - March 25th, 2020
- Females Live Longer Than MalesAmong Humans and Other Mammals, Too - Smithsonian.com - March 25th, 2020
- Could Going Vegan Improve Your Athletic Performance? The Answer May Surprise You - gearpatrol.com - March 25th, 2020
- 5 Natural Testosterone Boosters - March 13th, 2020
- Coconut Oil and Testosterone: Is There a Connection? - Healthline - March 13th, 2020
- The Science Behind Why Winning Makes You Want To Keep Playing Games | Invision Game Community - Invision Game Community - March 13th, 2020
- Even the playing field: a look at how House Bill 500 affects the transgender community - Argonaut - March 13th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Strategies, Demand Analysis and Projected huge Growth by 2026 - Feed... - March 13th, 2020
- Men, The Truly Weaker Sex - American Council on Science and Health - March 13th, 2020
- Testosterone: What It Is and How It Affects Your Health - February 23rd, 2020
- Man Accused Of Running Illegal Long Island Health Clinic - Daily Voice - February 23rd, 2020
- This Is What Eating a Dozen Eggs a Day Does to Your Body - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 23rd, 2020
- Testosterone Cypionate Market Report (2019-2025) | The demand for the Market will drastically increase in the Future - Nyse Nasdaq Live - February 23rd, 2020
- Clarus Therapeutics Lauches JATENZO - Oral Testosterone Replacement Therapy - MedicalResearch.com - February 23rd, 2020
- Deontay Wilder vs. Tyson Fury 2: Fury Carried out to Ring on Throne to Patsy Cline's 'Crazy' Lights up Social Media - PopCulture.com - February 23rd, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy analysis by stage of development - TechNews.mobi - February 23rd, 2020
- Study: Women evaluate partners more negatively when estrogen is elevated and men know it - PsyPost - February 17th, 2020
- Baldness and Testosterone - The Good Men Project - February 17th, 2020
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Market In-Depth Analysis by AbbVie, Inc., Bayer AG, Endo Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Eli Lilly and Company, Kyowa Kirin... - February 17th, 2020
- Women with High Testosterone More Likely To Have Diabetes and Cancer - Myhealthyclick - February 17th, 2020
- Alex Rodriguezs past is the reason he should not buy the New York Mets - Elite Sports NY - February 17th, 2020
- No Room for Push Back by Other Athletes: Male Marathon Runner Will Compete in U.S. Womens Olympic Trials - National Review - February 15th, 2020