A woman has been critically injured after an incident occurred under mysterious circumstances at a Beijing water park.
A woman surnamed Liu sufferedsevere head trauma at theHappy Water Rubik’s Cube ( hun yo shu mfng)on May 28while riding the “Tornado,” a park attractionin which visitors ride a raftdown afour-story water slide through a pipe and into a spiraling funnel.
Liu was given medical attention at the Fengtai District water park, andwas then sent to the emergency room atAerospace Center Hospital where doctors determined Liu had suffered acardiac arrest and ahydrocephalus condition.
Liu has notregained consciousness since the incident first happened. Her condition has worsened to the point where she can only breathe with the aid of a ventilator. Liu’s mother has said, “The doctor told us that she may pass any time now.”
Despite her grave situation, no one has been forthcoming about the circumstances behind theHappyWater Rubik’s Cube incident.
A man named Jiang was sitting next to the victim on the raft on the Tornado slide along with an unnamed third party when the incident occurred. However, Jiang’s recollection of the incident to the Beijing Morning Report only begins once the ride was over, at which time he noticed Liu was unconsious.
“We quicked fished her out of the water. We yelled at her,but there was no response,” Jiang was quoted as saying.
Additionally, the doctor who is treating Liu at Aerospace Center Hospital is unable to confirm to Chinese news what is the reason for his patient’s injury.
“We are temporarily unable to determine the cause ofbrain damage, and further observation is needed,” said the unnamed doctor in regards to his critically injured patient.
Instead of explaining what happened, Jiang has been telling the press how he had not been adequately informed of safety proceduresduring his time at the water park. “Upon exchanging our admission tickets and entering thepark, we didn’t see any safety warnings,” said Jiang.
As well, Jiang alleges he wasn’t “allowed” to contact 120 emergency services by park staff members until 20 minutes after the incident.
By contrast, acustomer management representative for the park named Liu Chang has refuted Jiang’s allegations.
“We were very surprised at the incident because this problem has not occurred with any of our other park visitors,” said Liu Chang.”The park vigorously provided medical aid at the time ofthe incident, and has provided for the medical expenses.”
Liu Chang also refuted Jiang’s accusation that park visitors aren’t properly briefed on safety with this retort (abridged):
Safety warnings are issued on all our admission tickets, whether electronic or paper. As well, there are large-sized warned placed at the entrance to the park. As well, beginning from when visitors enter the park, there are repeated broadcast safety warnings. There are Chinese and English instructions printed in front of each attraction, clearly specifying any age, health or height restrictions.
Instead of the incident itself, Chinese media have focused upon the enormous cost of Liu’s medical treatment, which has since risen to RMB 200,000(USD 29,369).
Informed by the hospital of insufficientfunds, the victim’s mother said she was forced to reach out to the water park to ask for compensation, for which they did not comply.
“I had always been in contact with her, and she had always inquired on the situation with my child,” said the victim’s mother.”She has comforted me not to worry, but still, she has not given us enough funds to cover the medical costs.”
According to the Beijing Morning Report, theHappy Water Rubik’s Cube paid an additional RMB 30,000to meet the request made by the victim’s mother.
The incident finally made it tothe newslast Tuesday (Jun 13)in which the victim’sfamily lawyer has threatened the park with litigation if negotiations fall through.
First opened in 2011,Happy Water Rubik’s Cubeis Beijing’s largest open-air water park.
More stories from this authorhere.
Images: Ly, Dianping, LaSwim, Ccoo
See the original post here:
Beijing Water Park Incident Leaves Woman With Critical Brain Injury – The Beijinger (blog)
- Expanded concussion program protects more NJ student athletes - Press of Atlantic City - August 14th, 2017
- New Experimental Drug Reverses Memory Loss due to Brain Injury - TrendinTech - August 12th, 2017
- Louisiana woman alleges brain injury as result of negligent medical treatment - Madison County Record - August 12th, 2017
- VETERAN ART: Wounded warriors' 'Battle Signs' - The Fort Campbell Courier - August 12th, 2017
- Taxi operator's horrific brain injuries after hooded thug split open his head with iron bar in brutal attack - Mirror.co.uk - August 9th, 2017
- Uncle Creepy talks potential career ending 'CTE-type' symptoms, treatment, & regrets - Bloody Elbow - August 9th, 2017
- How Gentle Exercise Transforms Your Brain - Care2.com - August 9th, 2017
- Military Brain Injuries are the Subject of Center for Neurological Studies "Hope After Combat" Study - PR Newswire (press release) - August 8th, 2017
- Improved diagnostics for patients with traumatic brain injuries - Medical Xpress - August 7th, 2017
- Doctors reverse brain damage on 3-year-old girl - FOX 29 News Philadelphia - August 7th, 2017
- Patients nationwide visit Louisiana for groundbreaking brain damage treatment - WBRZ - August 6th, 2017
- Families Need Housing During Treatment to Reverse Brain Damage ... - WLTX.com - August 6th, 2017
- Man Sustains Head Injury in Hamilton Street Assault - TAPinto.net - August 6th, 2017
- Military Brain Injuries are the Subject of Center for Neurological Studies "Hope After Combat" Study - Markets Insider - August 4th, 2017
- Cambridge neurosurgeons receive funding to establish hub for brain injury treatment - The Cambridge Student - August 2nd, 2017
- Cannabis and goggles: the latest in concussion treatments and research - Indiana Gazette - August 2nd, 2017
- Eye Movements May Be Key In Detecting Brain Injury, Concussion - HuffPost - August 2nd, 2017
- NFL open to medical marijuana discussion - SFGate - August 1st, 2017
- 'Soft' side of bioengineering poised to make big impacts - Arizona State University - August 1st, 2017
- Families need housing during treatment to reverse brain damage ... - WWL - August 1st, 2017
- Toddler's Brain Damage Reversed After Near-Fatal Drowning: 'It's a Mix of God and Science,' Says Mom - PEOPLE.com - August 1st, 2017
- Brain injury found in 99 percent of donated brains of NFL players in new study - The Verge - August 1st, 2017
- Former dentist accused of causing brain damage appears in court - Chron.com - August 1st, 2017
- Memory Repair Molecule Reversed Effects of Traumatic Brain Injury in Mice - Futurism - July 12th, 2017
- New head-injury treatment boosts outcomes - Pique Newsmagazine - July 12th, 2017
- ISRIB Reverses Memory Failure Caused By Traumatic Brain Injury - ReliaWire - July 12th, 2017
- Charlie Gard: key questions answered - The Guardian - July 12th, 2017
- High burden of traumatic brain injuries in the EU and China - Medical Xpress - July 12th, 2017
- New drug used on mice could hold potential for traumatic brain ... - Washington Post - July 12th, 2017
- Charles F. Bryan Jr.: VCU and McGuire VA hospital are powerful partners for veterans - and the rest of us - Richmond.com - July 9th, 2017
- Men, take note. A serious head injury may double your risk of dementia - Hindustan Times - July 9th, 2017
- Luke Fletcher suffers head injury in T20 Blast game - Cricbuzz - July 9th, 2017
- This Cannabis Compound Can Treat Brain Injury - The Fresh Toast - July 7th, 2017
- What Causes Dementia? Traumatic Head Injury During Midlife Can Increase Risk By 90 Percent - Medical Daily - July 7th, 2017
- Why does it seem like nobody cares about female concussions? - ESPN - July 6th, 2017
- Marine Corps Systems Command wins award for creating life-saving technology - Quantico Sentry Online - July 6th, 2017
- Traumatic brain injury in veteransdifferences from civilians may affect long-term care - Medical Xpress - July 6th, 2017
- Acupuncture Found Effective For Stroke Paralysis Recovery - HealthCMi - July 6th, 2017
- Brain injury debate helps rehabilitation - Ledbury Reporter - July 5th, 2017
- Charlie Gard: Lord Winston criticises 'unhelpful and cruel interference' from Vatican and Donald Trump - The Independent - July 5th, 2017
- KARE 11 Investigates: Study of veterans with traumatic brain injuries - KARE - July 4th, 2017
- Myths in Emergency Medicine: Don't Break Up with Ketamine for TBI Yet - LWW Journals - July 4th, 2017
- Brain injury debate helps rehabilitation - Hereford Times - July 2nd, 2017
- UNC-Pembroke professor doing 'important work' - Fayetteville Observer - July 2nd, 2017
- Staff may lose jobs as brain injury rehab unit shuts - This Is Wiltshire - July 1st, 2017
- Many veterans would suffer under Republican health-care plan - Norwich Bulletin - July 1st, 2017
- Staff may lose jobs as brain injury rehab unit shuts - Swindon Advertiser - June 30th, 2017
- Disrupted Brain Pathway, Altered Stress Hormones Key to TBI Impact Differences in Men, Women - The Good Men Project (blog) - June 30th, 2017
- Quick cooling ThermoSuit may prevent brain damage in stroke patients - News from Tulane - June 28th, 2017
- Brain injury a factor in crime spree? - Rappahannock News - June 28th, 2017
- Quick cooling ThermoSuit may prevent brain damage in stroke ... - News from Tulane - June 28th, 2017
- Attorney general supports Montgomery County Veterans' Treatment Court - Montgomery Newspapers - June 27th, 2017
- Prevacus Inc., Announces the Addition of Randy Travis to its Advisory Board - GlobeNewswire (press release) - June 27th, 2017
- Five ways virtual reality is improving healthcare - The Independent - June 27th, 2017
- Prevacus Inc., Announces the Addition of Randy Travis to its Advisory Board - EconoTimes - June 26th, 2017
- Untreated Traumatic Brain Injury Keeps Youth in Juvenile Justice System - Juvenile Justice Information Exchange - June 26th, 2017
- Concussion Guidelines Adopted at International Level - UB School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences News - June 26th, 2017
- New Tools for Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Primary Care Clinicians Leads to Robust and Quick Uptake of ... - PR Newswire (press release) - June 26th, 2017
- These students just received a scholarship from Beyonc - PBS NewsHour - June 25th, 2017
- Philips to buy Electrical Geodesics for brain monitoring tech - FierceBiotech - June 25th, 2017
- New brain network model could explain differences in brain injuries - ETHealthworld.com - June 24th, 2017
- $10.7M Los Angeles Traumatic Brain Injury Jury Verdict - The National Law Review - June 24th, 2017
- Parents oppose court's no CPR order for brain injured son - Irish Times - June 23rd, 2017
- The Concussion Health Summit, In Partnership with Nationwide Children's Hospital, Announces Dr. Kevin Guskiewicz ... - HuffPost - June 23rd, 2017
- Two-drug combo may improve traumatic brain injury therapy - The San Diego Union-Tribune - June 22nd, 2017
- Researcher uses sophisticated techniques to understand traumatic brain injuries among older adults - Medical Xpress - June 22nd, 2017
- New brain network model could explain differences in brain injuries - Medical Xpress - June 22nd, 2017
- UCLA neuroscientist offers game plan to better understand sports concussions - UCLA Newsroom - June 22nd, 2017
- The possible long-term complications of traumatic brain injury - USC News - June 21st, 2017
- Sleep disturbances after traumatic brain injury - Clinical Advisor - June 21st, 2017
- Offer extended to transfer UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes to brain trauma center in Atlanta - MMAjunkie.com - June 21st, 2017
- What happened to Otto Warmbier? When the unthinkable is unknowable. - Washington Post - June 21st, 2017
- An unfair stigma for vets with PTSD - Newsday - June 19th, 2017
- Student Otto Warmbier, 22, Dies Days After North Koreans Released Him with Brain Damage: 'He Was at Peace,' Says ... - PEOPLE.com - June 19th, 2017
- What Happened to Otto Warmbier? - The Atlantic - June 19th, 2017
- A narrative literature review of depression following traumatic brain injury: prevalence, impact, and management ... - Dove Medical Press - June 17th, 2017
- The Many Personalities of Brain Injury: Why I Sometimes Want to Throw in the Towel - The Good Men Project (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- Otto Warmbier has extensive brain damage, doctor says - Fox News - June 16th, 2017
- American Airlines Passenger Claims Unsecured Beverage Cart Caused Brain Injury - Consumerist - June 16th, 2017
- Intelligence Reports Suggest North Korea Brutally Beat US College Student Now In A Coma - The Daily Caller - June 15th, 2017