Rene Ray De La Cruz Staff Writer @DP_ReneDeLaCruz
VICTORVILLE A young cancer fighter recently braved the salon chair as she had a portion of her long, dark-blond hair cut for chemo patients.
Sitting inside Bella Mia salon in Hesperia on Tuesday, 16-year-old Paije Grissom held up her freshly-cut braided ponytail as she laughed and exclaimed, I didnt know I had that much hair.
Diagnosed six years ago with a rare form of malignant chordoma cancer, Grissom is a smiling, outgoing teenager from Victorville who told the Daily Press she wants to donate her long, luscious hair while she still can.
Ive been through a lot of cancer treatments, but I still have my hair, Grissom said. I figured Id donate my hair to someone who lost their hair to chemo or radiation.
Grissom, whose life has been filled with radiation treatments, surgeries and chronic infections, has suffered partial hearing loss in her right ear, is starting to lose sight in both her eyes and deals with chronic fatigue and several other ailments, which prevents her from attending classes at Victor Valley High School.
Grissom, who lives with her grandmother, Monette Holmes, said her best friend, Nadia Castillo, 12, has been one of the few brights spots in her life.
Nadia is the one person who can make me laugh and smile at any time, Grissom said. We spend a lot of time together and shes the one that lifts my spirit and calms me down.
Castillo told the Daily Press she and Grissom are attached as best friends and they enjoy sleep-overs, eating barbecue, exploring Hesperia Lake Park and listening to hip-hop, rap and country music.
We have a lot in common and we love being together, Castillo said. I really do hope and pray that Paije gets better.
Castillo accompanied Grissom to Bella Mia where she also had her hair cut and donated to cancer patients, said Holmes, who praised the hair salon for their “big hearts” and charity work.
Grissom said she looks forward to attending another Camp Ronald McDonald For Good Times this summer where she plans to meet new friends, play games, eat good food and talk to people who understand what Im going through.
As Grissom and Castillo took selfies and giggled, Holmessaid shes concerned about her granddaughters lack of cortisol, which helps control blood sugar levels, regulate metabolism, reduce inflammation and assist with memory formulation.
Her pituitary glands arent functioning correctly, she has chronic migraines and she suffers from outbursts because of her hormone imbalance, Holmes said. Shes dealing with so much, its hard to keep up with everything.
Paije is such a trooper and does not complain about all of the IV’s, blood work, or any other testing that the doctor’s order, said Holmes, after returning from an infusion center at Loma Linda to see if her granddaughter will need hormone replacement therapy.
We are not certain how many days a week that Paije will need treatments, but some people here come every single day for up to eight hours, Holmes said. We will know soon if Paije will be a part of this necessary treatment regimen.
Holmes said her granddaughter wants to go to Universal Studios in Hollywood and stay at the haunted Roosevelt Hotel, but medical expenses, vehicle repairs and a cut in income have taken a toll on the family.
I know that I have a long road ahead of me, but I just want to enjoy my life right now, Grissom said. I just hope I can help others while Im dealing with being sick.
For more information on Paije Grissom’s journey, visit http://www.youcaring.com/paije-grissom-609361.
Rene Ray De La Cruz may be reached at 760-951-6227, RDeLa [email protected] or on Twitter @DP_ReneDeLaCruz.
Read the original here:
Generous donation: 16-year-old offers her hair to fellow cancer fighters – VVdailypress.com
- Osteoporosis Care for RA Patients Found Suboptimal, Declining - MedPage Today - August 14th, 2017
- Biz Buzz: Health and wellness medical spa opens in Short Pump - Richmond.com - August 14th, 2017
- What's the Cultural Impact of Transgender Characters on TV? - Newsweek - August 12th, 2017
- Md. Medicaid should cover trans-specific care - Baltimore Sun - August 12th, 2017
- Transitioning: Controversy, corrections and new-found peace, Misty Lane is finally finding happiness with herself - Douglas Budget - August 12th, 2017
- Niwot author pioneers interventions for Autoimmune Disease - Left Hand Valley Courier - August 12th, 2017
- Top five misconceptions about menopause - Starts at 60 - August 12th, 2017
- I was an intersex child who had surgery. Don't put other kids through this. - kgw.com - August 9th, 2017
- Transgender candidate faces off against longtime conservative - W*USA 9 - August 9th, 2017
- Perimenopause Problems: How Changing Hormones Exacerbate ADHD Symptoms - ADDitude - August 9th, 2017
- Parents and Doctors, Hold Off on This 'Devastating' Surgery - Newser - August 9th, 2017
- Caster Semenya dismisses IAAF's plan to reinstate gender testing - africanews - August 8th, 2017
- Race and body shape give clues to heart disease risk - Futurity: Research News - August 8th, 2017
- Some Guys Decide to Have Their Penises Removed, But Most Doctors Won't Do It - Unicorn Booty (blog) - August 8th, 2017
- Scream for HRT when you get hot flushes - The Straits Times - August 8th, 2017
- HRT and vaginal moisturisers? Here's what really helps menopausal women - The Guardian - August 7th, 2017
- Try vaginal laser therapy to have pain-free sex after menopause! - TheHealthSite - August 7th, 2017
- Jillian Bearden, first female transgender cyclist to ride in a pro US peloton, emerges as beacon for other trans ... - The Denver Post - August 7th, 2017
- Transgender man gives birth to baby boy - New Haven Register - August 4th, 2017
- Transgender man gives birth to baby boy. 'Love is possible,' he says. So is 'being a loving family.' - Washington Post - August 2nd, 2017
- RI requires coverage for 'fertility preservation' by private insurers - The Providence Journal - August 1st, 2017
- She's one of the Army's first transitioned transgender soldiers and an infantryman but now her future is uncertain - NavyTimes.com - August 1st, 2017
- Anti-aging and aesthetics industry facts may surprise you - Los Angeles Post-Examiner - August 1st, 2017
- JENNIE Aug 1: Osteoarthritis more common in women - WJBF-TV - August 1st, 2017
- What The Heck Is Vaginal Laser Therapy, And Should You Try It? - Prevention.com - August 1st, 2017
- Trump called transgender troops a costly disruption. An expert who studied it says he's wrong. - Washington Post - July 31st, 2017
- Estroven Sleep Cool for menopause is the answer to my prayers - ChicagoNow (blog) - July 31st, 2017
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market: Industry Players to Show High Growth Rate by 2024 - Monotone Critic - July 31st, 2017
- Supplements for Strength Athletes: What's Changing, What's New, and What's Obsolete - BarBend (blog) - July 12th, 2017
- MU researchers find link between hormone-replacement therapy, breast cancer growth - Hannibal.net - July 12th, 2017
- Hypothyroidism: A Woman's Guide to Fertility and Pregnancy - EmpowHer - July 12th, 2017
- Planned Parenthood sells west-side center to LIFT Orlando - Orlando Sentinel - July 10th, 2017
- Former Inmate Empowers Transgender Women in Colombian Prisons - NBCNews.com - July 10th, 2017
- Cholesterol biosynthesis inhibitor RO 48-8071 reduces progesterone receptor expression and inhibits progestin ... - Dove Medical Press - July 10th, 2017
- Propecia effectivness - Propecia hormone replacement therapy - Van Wert independent - July 9th, 2017
- Herb can help reduce menopause symptoms - Idaho State Journal - July 9th, 2017
- 8 Health Issues You Had No Idea Transgender and Gender-Diverse People Are Dealing With - Women's Health - July 8th, 2017
- Herb may help reduce menopausal symptoms - Idaho State Journal - July 8th, 2017
- Chemotherapy could trigger spread of cancer, research suggests - Blasting News - July 8th, 2017
- Subaction showcomments propecia optional watch - Propecia rogaine combined results - Longboat Key News - July 6th, 2017
- Study finds no such thing as menstrual brain fog - WDEF News 12 - July 6th, 2017
- Medicxi's new fund jumps off the beaten biotech path to lead a $30M round for diabetes program - Endpoints News - July 6th, 2017
- What Happens When Chelsea Manning's DNA Becomes An Artist's Material? - HuffPost - July 6th, 2017
- Caster Semenya could be forced to undertake hormone therapy for future Olympics - The Guardian - July 5th, 2017
- PAO GROUP INC COM USD0.001 (OTCMKTS:PAOG) are Now Opening Cannabis-based Medical Centers - The Oracle Dispatch - July 5th, 2017
- Diasome Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Receives Funding Led By Medicxi - Business Wire (press release) - July 5th, 2017
- New clinical trial at Yeovil Hospital for women having breast cancer treatment - Somerset Live - July 5th, 2017
- Swansea Uni trial to reduce breast cancer hot flushes - BBC News - BBC News - July 5th, 2017
- Should I Seek Hormone Replacement Therapy? Here's The Answer! - AXcess News - June 30th, 2017
- Thyroid Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Overview, Industry ... - MilTech - June 30th, 2017
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Analysis, Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application ... - satPRnews (press release) - June 30th, 2017
- Mac Engel: It's time for baseball to allow the use of PEDs - Winona Daily News - June 28th, 2017
- Osteoarthritis is more common among women than men. Blame it on gender differences - Hindustan Times - June 27th, 2017
- Madras HC allows transgender's plea for gender change in school records - Hindustan Times - June 27th, 2017
- Transgender celebrities - The Daily Dot - June 26th, 2017
- What Treatments Are Available to Combat Male Impotence? - Information Nigeria - June 26th, 2017
- Hair dyes may be linked to increased breast cancer risk, study shows - WSPA.com - June 25th, 2017
- HRT Benefits Outweigh Risks for Certain Menopausal Women - MedPage Today - June 25th, 2017
- Augusta Pride kicks off eighth annual celebration - WJBF-TV - June 25th, 2017
- Women losing out over hormone therapy fears, some experts say ... - CBC.ca - June 24th, 2017
- HRC releases video highlighting importance of Planned Parenthood for LGBTQ community - Metro Weekly - June 24th, 2017
- Preventing Dementia: Getting Closer to Recommendations - Alzforum - June 24th, 2017
- What Is Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy And What Are ... - NewsBlaze (registration) (blog) - June 22nd, 2017
- When asked their sex, some are going with option 'X' - USA TODAY - June 22nd, 2017
- Everything You Need To Know About Testifying At Your State's Legislature - Elite Daily - June 22nd, 2017
- What it's like to be left infertile by cancer at the age of 23 - cosmopolitan.com (UK) - June 22nd, 2017
- Co-Maternity And Reciprocal IVF: Empowering lesbian parents with options - HuffPost - June 22nd, 2017
- Planned Parenthood opens $2 million facility in Queensbury | Local ... - Glens Falls Post-Star - June 19th, 2017
- Tesamorelin in T2D Not Linked to Metabolic Changes - MedPage Today - June 19th, 2017
- Cy-Fair opens new hormone replacement therapy clinics as interest builds - Community Impact Newspaper - June 19th, 2017
- 'Sing Out Louise!' What Makes Amanda Keller an LGBT Hero in Alabama - Daily Beast - June 19th, 2017
- Tips for easing hot flashes - FOX 5 Atlanta - June 15th, 2017
- Hormone Replacement Therapy for Back Pain? - HealthCentral.com - June 15th, 2017
- Essential oils and menopause: Can they help? - WXYZ - June 15th, 2017
- Understand what to expect when entering menopause - Reno Gazette Journal - June 14th, 2017
- How celebs are tricking you into BS wellness fads - New York Post - June 14th, 2017
- Summer vacation brings void after kids semi-grown - The Lawton Constitution - June 13th, 2017
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Analysis, Growth, Size ... - satPRnews (press release) - June 6th, 2017
- Some Benefits Of Bio-Identical Hormones Therapy - Good Herald - June 5th, 2017
- Tina Arena reveals her 'life-changing' menopause at just 46 | Starts ... - Starts at 60 - June 4th, 2017