Rene Ray De La Cruz Staff Writer @DP_ReneDeLaCruz
VICTORVILLE A young cancer fighter recently braved the salon chair as she had a portion of her long, dark-blond hair cut for chemo patients.
Sitting inside Bella Mia salon in Hesperia on Tuesday, 16-year-old Paije Grissom held up her freshly-cut braided ponytail as she laughed and exclaimed, I didnt know I had that much hair.
Diagnosed six years ago with a rare form of malignant chordoma cancer, Grissom is a smiling, outgoing teenager from Victorville who told the Daily Press she wants to donate her long, luscious hair while she still can.
Ive been through a lot of cancer treatments, but I still have my hair, Grissom said. I figured Id donate my hair to someone who lost their hair to chemo or radiation.
Grissom, whose life has been filled with radiation treatments, surgeries and chronic infections, has suffered partial hearing loss in her right ear, is starting to lose sight in both her eyes and deals with chronic fatigue and several other ailments, which prevents her from attending classes at Victor Valley High School.
Grissom, who lives with her grandmother, Monette Holmes, said her best friend, Nadia Castillo, 12, has been one of the few brights spots in her life.
Nadia is the one person who can make me laugh and smile at any time, Grissom said. We spend a lot of time together and shes the one that lifts my spirit and calms me down.
Castillo told the Daily Press she and Grissom are attached as best friends and they enjoy sleep-overs, eating barbecue, exploring Hesperia Lake Park and listening to hip-hop, rap and country music.
We have a lot in common and we love being together, Castillo said. I really do hope and pray that Paije gets better.
Castillo accompanied Grissom to Bella Mia where she also had her hair cut and donated to cancer patients, said Holmes, who praised the hair salon for their “big hearts” and charity work.
Grissom said she looks forward to attending another Camp Ronald McDonald For Good Times this summer where she plans to meet new friends, play games, eat good food and talk to people who understand what Im going through.
As Grissom and Castillo took selfies and giggled, Holmessaid shes concerned about her granddaughters lack of cortisol, which helps control blood sugar levels, regulate metabolism, reduce inflammation and assist with memory formulation.
Her pituitary glands arent functioning correctly, she has chronic migraines and she suffers from outbursts because of her hormone imbalance, Holmes said. Shes dealing with so much, its hard to keep up with everything.
Paije is such a trooper and does not complain about all of the IV’s, blood work, or any other testing that the doctor’s order, said Holmes, after returning from an infusion center at Loma Linda to see if her granddaughter will need hormone replacement therapy.
We are not certain how many days a week that Paije will need treatments, but some people here come every single day for up to eight hours, Holmes said. We will know soon if Paije will be a part of this necessary treatment regimen.
Holmes said her granddaughter wants to go to Universal Studios in Hollywood and stay at the haunted Roosevelt Hotel, but medical expenses, vehicle repairs and a cut in income have taken a toll on the family.
I know that I have a long road ahead of me, but I just want to enjoy my life right now, Grissom said. I just hope I can help others while Im dealing with being sick.
For more information on Paije Grissom’s journey, visit http://www.youcaring.com/paije-grissom-609361.
Rene Ray De La Cruz may be reached at 760-951-6227, RDeLa [email protected] or on Twitter @DP_ReneDeLaCruz.
Read the original here:
Generous donation: 16-year-old offers her hair to fellow cancer fighters – VVdailypress.com
- Hormone Replacement Therapy | HRT | Menopause | MedlinePlus - March 18th, 2018
- Hormone replacement therapy (male-to-female) - Wikipedia - March 18th, 2018
- Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT) Dr Mark ... - March 18th, 2018
- Using HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy) - March 18th, 2018
- Hormone replacement therapy (female-to-male) - Wikipedia - February 27th, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy - Hormone Doctor | Elite HRT - February 26th, 2018
- Hormone replacement therapy - Wikipedia - February 22nd, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (Risks and Benefits). HRT ... - February 20th, 2018
- Menopausal Hormone Therapy and Cancer Risk - February 15th, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (Risks and Benefits). HRT | Patient - February 15th, 2018
- hormone replacement therapy - North American Menopause ... - January 20th, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy - What You Need to Know - January 13th, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy - Menopause Home Page - December 15th, 2017
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Explained - healthprep.com - December 15th, 2017
- Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT) Dr Mark Richards - December 15th, 2017
- Hormone replacement therapy - Susan's Place Transgender Resources - December 15th, 2017
- HRT: Hormone replacement therapy Q&A - WebMD Boots - December 6th, 2017
- HRT: Hormone replacement therapy - WebMD Boots - November 20th, 2017
- Edina clinic ranked in top 10 in state - The Sun Current - September 6th, 2017
- Menopause updates - ModernMedicine - September 6th, 2017
- Hormone Replacement Therapy and Natural Alternatives Dr ... - September 5th, 2017
- Vaginal estrogen not tied to cancer or heart disease risks - Reuters - September 5th, 2017
- Harrison Browne talks retirement, his comeback, and advocacy - The Ice Garden (blog) - September 5th, 2017
- 'Trans identities are identities, and not a condition,' says advocacy ... - CBC.ca - September 2nd, 2017
- 10 questions every woman should ask about menopause - New York Daily News - September 2nd, 2017
- Judge throws out Richard Simmons lawsuit over tabloid falsely 'outing' him as trans - PinkNews - September 1st, 2017
- Lobby group looks for better health care access for trans patients. - 660 News - September 1st, 2017
- Hormone Replacement Therapy in Women: Good, or Bad for ... - September 1st, 2017
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Ehormones - September 1st, 2017
- The Alphabet Soup of Menopause and Hormones - EmpowHer - September 1st, 2017
- Hormone pellets offer menopause symptom relief - WZVN-TV - September 1st, 2017
- Catholic school's acceptance gives transpeople hope - Northern Star - September 1st, 2017
- Video Projects Expose Gay Lobby's Lies - Church Militant - September 1st, 2017
- Does Post-Menopausal Hormone Replacement Heighten Sexual Function? - MedPage Today - August 31st, 2017
- Sex drive boost: HRT patch could be more effective than pills, experts reveal - Express.co.uk - August 31st, 2017
- Janet Mock Reveals the Advice She Would've Given Herself as A 17-Year-Old Trans Girl - Allure Magazine - August 31st, 2017
- Trans And Gender Non-Conforming Communities Need Paid Leave Now! - HuffPost - August 31st, 2017
- Meet the First Trans Swimmer to Ever Join Harvard's Men's Team - NextShark - August 31st, 2017
- Medical Women: Marje Isabelle Aims to Guide Women Through Fertility, Menopause - The Story Exchange - August 31st, 2017
- Haqqani: Cardiovascular health in women Part two - Midland Daily News - August 27th, 2017
- Ask a Vet: Neutered cat not acting neutered - Baltimore Sun - August 25th, 2017
- EndoBreak: Diabetes & Hypertension; Licorice Root Warning - MedPage Today - August 25th, 2017
- What You Need to Know About Testosterone Replacement - Westchester Magazine - August 25th, 2017
- A tale of transition - QNotes - August 25th, 2017
- Wales' first transgender healthcare clinic set for Cardiff - BBC News - August 25th, 2017
- Transgender YouTubers had their videos grabbed to train facial recognition software - The Verge - August 23rd, 2017
- Being on the brink of puberty is scary and expensive for this transgender kid and her family - KRCU - August 23rd, 2017
- How I regenerated along with 'Doctor Who' - Syfy - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 23rd, 2017
- In the Business of Women's Health - The Story Exchange - August 23rd, 2017
- Vaginal Estrogen Use: No Increase in CV, Cancer Risks - MedPage Today - August 21st, 2017
- Being on the brink of puberty is scary and expensive for this transgender kid and her family - St. Louis Public Radio - August 21st, 2017
- Lasix cause hyperkalemia or hypokalemia - Sample substance abuse treatment plan goals - The Santa Clara - August 19th, 2017
- Gia Gunn Gets New Birth Certificate: I Am So Proud Of Myself For Getting This Done! - NewNowNext - August 18th, 2017
- Advanced maternal age: ethical and medical considerations for assisted reproductive technology - Dove Medical Press - August 17th, 2017
- Osteoporosis Care for RA Patients Found Suboptimal, Declining - MedPage Today - August 14th, 2017
- Biz Buzz: Health and wellness medical spa opens in Short Pump - Richmond.com - August 14th, 2017
- What's the Cultural Impact of Transgender Characters on TV? - Newsweek - August 12th, 2017
- Md. Medicaid should cover trans-specific care - Baltimore Sun - August 12th, 2017
- Transitioning: Controversy, corrections and new-found peace, Misty Lane is finally finding happiness with herself - Douglas Budget - August 12th, 2017
- Niwot author pioneers interventions for Autoimmune Disease - Left Hand Valley Courier - August 12th, 2017
- Top five misconceptions about menopause - Starts at 60 - August 12th, 2017
- I was an intersex child who had surgery. Don't put other kids through this. - kgw.com - August 9th, 2017
- Transgender candidate faces off against longtime conservative - W*USA 9 - August 9th, 2017
- Perimenopause Problems: How Changing Hormones Exacerbate ADHD Symptoms - ADDitude - August 9th, 2017
- Parents and Doctors, Hold Off on This 'Devastating' Surgery - Newser - August 9th, 2017
- Caster Semenya dismisses IAAF's plan to reinstate gender testing - africanews - August 8th, 2017
- Race and body shape give clues to heart disease risk - Futurity: Research News - August 8th, 2017
- Some Guys Decide to Have Their Penises Removed, But Most Doctors Won't Do It - Unicorn Booty (blog) - August 8th, 2017
- Scream for HRT when you get hot flushes - The Straits Times - August 8th, 2017
- HRT and vaginal moisturisers? Here's what really helps menopausal women - The Guardian - August 7th, 2017
- Try vaginal laser therapy to have pain-free sex after menopause! - TheHealthSite - August 7th, 2017
- Jillian Bearden, first female transgender cyclist to ride in a pro US peloton, emerges as beacon for other trans ... - The Denver Post - August 7th, 2017
- Transgender man gives birth to baby boy - New Haven Register - August 4th, 2017
- Transgender man gives birth to baby boy. 'Love is possible,' he says. So is 'being a loving family.' - Washington Post - August 2nd, 2017
- RI requires coverage for 'fertility preservation' by private insurers - The Providence Journal - August 1st, 2017
- She's one of the Army's first transitioned transgender soldiers and an infantryman but now her future is uncertain - NavyTimes.com - August 1st, 2017
- Anti-aging and aesthetics industry facts may surprise you - Los Angeles Post-Examiner - August 1st, 2017
- JENNIE Aug 1: Osteoarthritis more common in women - WJBF-TV - August 1st, 2017
- What The Heck Is Vaginal Laser Therapy, And Should You Try It? - Prevention.com - August 1st, 2017
- Trump called transgender troops a costly disruption. An expert who studied it says he's wrong. - Washington Post - July 31st, 2017