A biotech startup in La Jolla has raised $85 million from notable science investors to investigate its idea for treating age-related diseases: a pill that mimics the effects of exercise and fasting.
The company, called Epirium Bio, says its scientists have discovered a new human hormone, which, when influenced, can trigger the production of more mitochondria. The depletion of the bodys mitochondria a.k.a. engines of cells is at the core of many age-related human illnesses.
Until now, the only way weve ever been able to improve mitochondrial biogenesis is through exercise and fasting, said the companys CEO Russ Cox.
The science emerged from research at UC San Diego, where Epiriums chief scientific officer, George Schreiner, and its chief technology officer, Sundeep Dugar, worked with other UCSD collaborators. At the time, they were studying flavanols, chemicals found in dark chocolate, berries and other foods linked to heart health. As they explored the biological activity around flavanols, it became clear they were observing a new and unidentified hormonal pathway.
Russell Cox, president and CEO of Epirium
(Courtesy of Epirium)
The companys leaders believe influencing the hormone, which is still unnamed, will boost the amount and productivity of mitochondria.
We successfully discovered the hormone, and now have synthesized and produced it, Cox said. The hormone will be named in a soon-to-be-published scientific paper.
To start, Epirium will be tackling rare muscle disorders, such as Duchenne muscular dystrophy, Becker muscular dystrophy and Friedreichs ataxia.
The companys investigational pill has been tested in 110 patients total during Epiriums proof of concept trials. But it hasnt yet entered full-scale human trials, which are slated to begin early this year.
Down the road, Cox thinks there will be much broader applications in slowing or reversing diseases that stem from aging, such as heart failure, Parkinsons or Alzheimers.
A lot of people believe the real effects of this hormone are tied to the heart, the muscle and the brain, Cox said. But those are long-term goals.
The company has a group of high-profile investors on board. Longitude Capital, ARCH Venture Partners, Bluebird Ventures, Vertex Ventures HC and Adams Street have joined in on the $85 million round of financing, which closed in December. Theres also an investor called Longevity Fund, a group focused on extending human life.
Epirium employs 10 people today at its La Jolla headquarters and plans to add 40 more positions within 12 months. The new jobs will span several departments, from clinical development and operations to office staff.
- Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Treatment Market Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 20th, 2020
- FILES OF THE TIMES | Community | falloncountyextra.com - Fallon County Extra - June 20th, 2020
- Drink Wine While Supporting A Great Cause: Here's How | Elvis Duran and the Morning Show - iHeartRadio - June 20th, 2020
- 2020 Growth: Scoliosis Treatment Market 2020 Trending Technologies, Developments, Key Players and Forecast to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 20th, 2020
- How Gene Therapy Market: Impact Of COVID-19 On Biotechnology Industry Sangamo Therapeutics, Vineti, Solid Biosciences - Medic Insider - June 20th, 2020
- Andy Barr's wife cause of death: What is mitral valve prolapse, floppy valve syndrome? - TODAY - June 20th, 2020
- How Healthcare Became Unaffordable For Non-Covid Patients During The Pandemic - BloombergQuint - June 20th, 2020
- Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Treatment Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 17th, 2020
- Forget ExerciseThese Mice Got Ripped With Gene Therapy - Singularity Hub - May 17th, 2020
- Should the government regulate profits from Covid-19 treatments? - STAT - May 17th, 2020
- Gene therapy cuts fat and builds muscle in sedentary mice on unhealthy diets - FierceBiotech - May 17th, 2020
- Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Treatment Market Growth Trends, Key Players, Analysis, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - News Distinct - May 17th, 2020
- UPDATED: Experimental injection of 'good' bacteria significantly cut bacterial vaginosis recurrence rate study - Endpoints News - May 17th, 2020
- Saddle Up And Ride For a Cause to Help Santa Ynez Valley Therapeutic Riding Program - Noozhawk - May 17th, 2020
- Moncef Slaoui pivots from Moderna's board to the helm of Project Warp Speed. His task: Overnight success - Endpoints News - May 17th, 2020
- Spun out of George Church's lab, this biotech upstart is mapping the AAV universe for Novartis, Sarepta to gaze - Endpoints News - May 17th, 2020
- Rick Bright details mismanaged pandemic response, warns of drugs, vaccine supply problems down the road; HHS pushes back - Endpoints News - May 17th, 2020
- CRISPR Therapeutics and Vertex Pharmaceuticals Announce FDA Regenerative Medicine Advanced Therapy (RMAT) Designation Granted to CTX001 for the... - May 17th, 2020
- Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Treatment Market Growth Opportunities, Challenges, Key Companies, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 Cole Reports - Cole of... - May 2nd, 2020
- Vertex Receives European CHMP Positive Opinion for KALYDECO (ivacaftor) for Children and Adolescents With Cystic Fibrosis Between the Ages 6 Months... - May 2nd, 2020
- EMA warns against unproven therapies - English - Agenzia ANSA - May 2nd, 2020
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals and Affinia Therapeutics Establish Multi-Year Collaboration to Discover and Develop Novel AAV Capsids for Genetic Therapies -... - May 2nd, 2020
- Dyne Therapeutics Announces Equity Investment from CureDuchenne Ventures to Support Pioneering Approach to Restoring Muscle Health in DMD - Yahoo... - April 1st, 2020
- Cumberland Pharmaceuticals Announces Initiative to Expand Availability of Caldolor to Help Treat High Fevers Associated With Coronavirus Infections -... - April 1st, 2020
- Seniors Increasingly Turn to Medicinal Marijuana - The SandPaper - April 1st, 2020
- Muscular Dystrophy Treatment & Management: Approach ... - March 29th, 2020
- Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Treatment Market 2020 | Growing Rapidly with Significant CAGR, Leading Players, Innovative Trends and Expected Revenue by... - March 29th, 2020
- Team Ethan: Meet the 10-year-old Decatur boy serving as MDA's National Ambassador - Times Daily - March 29th, 2020
- Are you a Purple Heart recipient or have a friend or family member who is? - Sumter Item - March 29th, 2020
- Invitae and Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) Expand Access to No-Charge Genetic Testing in the U.S. and Canada - Yahoo Finance - March 25th, 2020
- CureDuchenne Continues Focus as Champions for the Duchenne Community with Launch of Innovative Suite of Online Resources - BioSpace - March 25th, 2020
- Capricor Therapeutics to Host a Key Opinion Leader Call On Why Exosomes are Uniquely Suited for Vaccine Development - Yahoo Finance - March 25th, 2020
- 8 High-Conviction Stocks to Buy on the Market Dip - Yahoo Finance Australia - March 20th, 2020
- Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Treatment Market Booming by Size, Revenue and Top Growing Companies BioMarin Pharmaceuticals Incorporated, Pfizer... - March 20th, 2020
- Are you a Purple Heart recipient? - Sumter Item - March 20th, 2020
- [Up-and-coming medical startups of 2020] CES 2020 award-winning startup Exosystems unveils 'exoRehab' - Korea Biomedical Review - March 20th, 2020
- Thinking out loud: IP strategies for gene therapy inventions - Med-Tech Innovation - March 20th, 2020
- PTC Therapeutics Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Financial Results and Provides a Corporate Update - BioSpace - March 3rd, 2020
- Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD) Treatment Market To Grow in the Coming Years, New Research explores Factors Responsible - News Times - March 3rd, 2020
- FibroGen Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Financial Results - Yahoo Finance - March 3rd, 2020
- Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Treatment Market 2020 Analysis by Overview, Growth, Top Companies, Trends, Demand and Forecast to 2026 - Packaging News 24 - March 3rd, 2020
- Vertex Announces Cancellation of its March 3 Presentation at the Cowen Health Care Conference - BioSpace - March 3rd, 2020
- Babies born to mothers older than 35 more prone to down: Study - Deccan Herald - March 3rd, 2020
- CYTOO and AskBio Enter Research Agreement to Screen Gene Therapy Candidates for Rare Muscle Disorder - Yahoo Finance - March 2nd, 2020
- Sarepta Therapeutics Announces Third Year of Route 79, The Duchenne Scholarship Program - Yahoo Finance - March 2nd, 2020
- Ms. Wheelchair Delaware has been Crowned, for the first time in 45 Years | By Monique Harmon - WITN22 - March 2nd, 2020
- MLB: Making the case to legalize some steroids (TBD) to keep players on the field - Reflections On Baseball - March 2nd, 2020
- Wave Life Sciences Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - BioSpace - March 2nd, 2020
- Antisense Therapeutics Announces Appointment of US-based Consultant Medical Director - Business Wire - March 1st, 2020
- New Report on Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD) Therapeutics Market 2020 | In-depth Analysis by Industry Size, Share, Development by Key Regions and... - March 1st, 2020
- Rare diseases are more common than you might think - The European Sting - March 1st, 2020
- Almac and Pfizer slash gene therapy labeling times - OutSourcing-Pharma.com - February 14th, 2020
- Dawn of the Customized Cure - Clinical OMICs News - February 14th, 2020
- The 2010s: Advances witnessed in muscle-wasting conditions research - Open Access Government - February 14th, 2020
- CRISPR Therapeutics Provides Business Update and Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Financial Results - Yahoo Finance - February 14th, 2020
- UM team targets muscular dystrophy in mice - University of Michigan News - February 9th, 2020
- Catabasis Pharmaceuticals Announces Closing of Public Offering of Common Stock and Full Exercise of Over-Allotment Option - Business Wire - February 9th, 2020
- Biotech companies leading the way with exosome human clinical trials - Born2Invest - February 9th, 2020
- PTC Therapeutics Announces First Publication of Real-World Data Showing Translarna (ataluren) Significantly Preserves Ability to Walk for Longer in... - February 5th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market is Projected to Reach USD 13.0 Billion by 2024 from USD 3.8 Billion in 2019, at a CAGR of 27.8% - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - February 5th, 2020
- Catabasis Pharmaceuticals Announces Closing of Public Offering of Common Stock and Full Exercise of Over-Allotment Option - Yahoo Finance - February 5th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Industry Outlook 2020-2024 - Strong Product Pipeline Gives Rise to Lucrative Growth Opportunities - Yahoo Finance - February 5th, 2020
- French cancer-focused microbiome player is flush with 18M Series B injection - Endpoints News - February 5th, 2020
- Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy: Muscle Weakness That Begins In This Body Part Could Be A Warning Sign - International Business Times - February 3rd, 2020
- Third Time's the Charm as Acceleron Drug Shows Early Promise in PAH - Xconomy - February 3rd, 2020
- Six patients with rare blood disease are doing well after gene therapy clinical trial - UCLA Newsroom - February 3rd, 2020
- Did FDA lower the bar in its Sarepta decisions? We discuss - STAT - January 27th, 2020
- Is the Medication You're Taking Worth Its Price? - Undark Magazine - January 27th, 2020
- Santhera Reports Net Revenues 2019 and Highlights Pipeline Progress - GlobeNewswire - January 27th, 2020
- FDA continues to struggle with implications of approving Sarepta's drugs - STAT - January 27th, 2020
- How to Improve on a Good Year for Global Health | by Melvin Sanicas - Project Syndicate - January 27th, 2020
- Sarepta Versus The FDA, And Other News: The Good, Bad And Ugly Of Biopharma - Seeking Alpha - January 27th, 2020
- FDA Releases Initial Rejection Letter of Sareptas Vyondys 53 - Myhealthyclick - January 27th, 2020
- Dyne Therapeutics Announces Appointment of Molly White as Vice President, Medical Communications and Advocacy - Yahoo Finance - January 13th, 2020
- Sarepta Therapeutics Appoints Renowned Biotech Executive John C. Martin to its Board of Directors - Yahoo Finance - January 13th, 2020
- Inside Montel Williams' journey from long-undiagnosed patient to MS activist - Media News - MM&M - Medical Marketing and Media - January 13th, 2020
- Innovation in New Drug Approvals of 2019 Advances Patient Care - FDA.gov - January 13th, 2020
- Marketers: Focus on fundamentals to make a return this year - News - MM&M - Medical Marketing and Media - January 13th, 2020
- Ask the Pharmacist: Medications introduced in 2019 - Marco News - January 4th, 2020
- Roche and Sarepta Partner on Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Therapy - BioSpace - December 28th, 2019