CONCORD- Lori Treiber said she doesnt teach for the awards, but she racked them up this year.
Also voted the Teacher of the Year for Central Cabarrus High School, Treiber was recently notified that she won North Carolinas 2017 Outstanding Biology Teacher Award. Each year the National Association of Biology Teachers (NABT) selects a teacher from each state to win this award.
Its been a whirlwind, Treiber said. I was surprised. A colleague of mine had nominated me back in 2004 when I was teaching in Charlotte- Meck, but I didnt win then so I was surprised this time and very happy. But I dont teach for awards, I teach for my students.
This time around, Treiber was nominated by another colleague. She was required to submit four testimony letters from the principal, a parent, a student and a colleague. Then she had to video herself doing a lesson and provide the awards committee her philosophy on teaching.
When all of that was said and done, Treiber came out as the winner this year.
She will be honored during the upcoming North Carolina Teachers Association (NCSTA) conference in Greensboro in October and the NABT conference held in St. Louis, Missouri in November.
Treiber has been teaching for 30 years, and has spent the last five of those at Central Cabarrus teaching biology to tenth-grade students and AP biology.
She attended Appalachian State University where she decided to major in education to teach biology.
I wanted to be a teacher, I just didnt know what I wanted to teach, she said. I liked biology, I liked science and I knew science jobs will always be out there for teachers. I would always have a job in science.
Treiber was attracted to biology because its all about people.
Its all about you. Its about your environment. Its about the world around you, she said. What a great subject to be able to teach.
Teaching life skills and science
According to Treiber, Central Cabarrus has a family atmosphere. She said the teachers always help each other and are all there for one goal; for their students to learn, to become better citizens and be ready for the real world.
Her main goal is to develop good relationships with her students. She said she wants them to feel save, to trust and be better people.
With all of the fun ways biology can be taught, she added that she doesnt want her students to just sit and listen to her talk.
In fact, she doesnt talk much anymore because she flipped her classes.
In a traditional classroom you listen to the teacher talk, lecture and you go home and apply it, and if you have any questions you are on your own, Treiber said. So I flipped it and now they listen to my lectures at home in their pajamas and answer questions. So they are being introduced to the material at home and when they come in we apply it. So now if they have questions as we are applying it, they can get their questions answered.
She uses labs and different activities to give her students those hands-on experiences.
My job, I think, is to teach biology but its also to teach responsibility and integrity and collaboration; all the skills you need to be successful in the world, Treiber said. So I dont just teach biology. I use biology to teach those life skills to help them be successful.
See the article here:
Central Cabarrus teacher racks up awards doing something she loves - Independent Tribune
- Stanford Medicine magazine reports on the future of vision - Stanford Medical Center Report - August 25th, 2017
- OU Biology professor awarded grant for corneal research - News at OU - August 15th, 2017
- Geoengineering and Synthetic Biology - PLoS Blogs (blog) - August 15th, 2017
- The American Society for Cell Biology (ASCB) Appoints SPARGO, Inc. as Official Exposition and Advertising Sales and ... - Newswise (press release) - August 15th, 2017
- Alexion, Sema4 Partner on Rare Disease Diagnostics and Systems Biology - Drug Discovery & Development - August 15th, 2017
- Student-friendly, research-savvy new Biology Building opens its doors - Source - August 15th, 2017
- Nominations open for the PLOS Computational Biology Research Prize! - PLoS Blogs (blog) - August 15th, 2017
- How to Leverage the Biology of Healthy Leadership (And Why Leaders Have a Duty to Take Care of Themselves) - HuffPost - August 14th, 2017
- We've studied gender and STEM for 25 years. The science doesn't support the Google memo. - Recode - August 14th, 2017
- Google Manifesto: Does Biology Explain Gender Disparities in Tech? - Live Science - August 13th, 2017
- Sleep biology discovery could lead to new insomnia treatments that ... - UCLA Newsroom - August 13th, 2017
- Google worker says women don't advance in tech because of biology - CBS News - August 7th, 2017
- Researchers describe protein previously unknown in biology - Phys.Org - August 7th, 2017
- Can Buddhist Practices Help Us Overcome The Biological Pull Of Dissatisfaction? - NPR - August 7th, 2017
- The biology of color - Science Magazine - August 7th, 2017
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Advances Cryo-EM Leadership to Drive Structural Biology Discoveries - Markets Insider - August 7th, 2017
- Cell Atlases Reveal Biology's Frontiers - Quanta Magazine - July 12th, 2017
- CRISPR adds storing movies to its feats of molecular biology - Science News Magazine (blog) - July 12th, 2017
- Era of 'Biological Annihilation' Is Underway, Scientists Warn - New York Times - July 12th, 2017
- Biology test no longer required for high school diploma | The Seattle ... - The Seattle Times - July 12th, 2017
- Crowdfunding campaign supports biology field study - Cornell Chronicle - July 12th, 2017
- Synthetic Biology Advance May Put Microbiomes on the Clock - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - July 12th, 2017
- University of Vermont faculty win grant to explore biology major - vtdigger.org - July 12th, 2017
- Carbon nanotubes mimic biology - Phys.org - Phys.Org - July 12th, 2017
- SJW's Melt After Feminist YouTuber Tells Them Human Biology 101 - The Federalist - July 12th, 2017
- Sea Spiders Move Oxygen with Pumping Guts, Marine Biologists Say - Sci-News.com - July 12th, 2017
- Molecular Biology Enzymes and Kits and Reagents Market Worth $26.7 Billion by 2025: Grand View Research, Inc. - PR Newswire (press release) - June 29th, 2017
- Readers respond to climate activists, Washington's biology-test twist - Pacific Northwest Inlander - June 29th, 2017
- Chemists discover biology's version of the Friedel-Crafts alkylation - The Biological SCENE - June 29th, 2017
- SCOTUS just made a mockery of biology AND the Second Amendment - Conservative Review - June 28th, 2017
- Biology teacher is accused of soliciting sex with a teenager - Lexington Herald Leader - June 28th, 2017
- Biology professor Paul Sniegowski is named new Dean of the College - The Daily Pennsylvanian - June 27th, 2017
- Cancer studies pass reproducibility test - Science Magazine - June 27th, 2017
- WLU launching masters in biology programs - The Steubenville Herald-Star - June 26th, 2017
- Transgender Prejudice And The Belief In A Biological Basis For ... - NPR - June 26th, 2017
- Nixing state's biology exam results prudent - Walla Walla Union-Bulletin - June 26th, 2017
- Turkey pulls evolution from its high school curriculum - Ars Technica - June 26th, 2017
- NIMBioS: Mathematical Biology Tackles Destructive Plant Virus - Tennessee Today - June 23rd, 2017
- High schoolers may not need to pass biology test to graduate - The Daily Herald - June 23rd, 2017
- Combined molecular biology test is the first to distinguish benign ... - Medical Xpress - June 23rd, 2017
- Seniors who failed biology assessment test would get diplomas under new deal - The Spokesman-Review - June 22nd, 2017
- Beautycounter's scientists invented a moisturizer that mimics your skin's biology - Fast Company - June 22nd, 2017
- How the Biology in Every Single ALIEN Movie Fits Together - Nerdist - Nerdist - June 22nd, 2017
- WLU announces two new Biology programs | WTOV - WTOV Steubenville - June 22nd, 2017
- Open imaging data for biology - Phys.Org - June 22nd, 2017
- A Father-Son Bond, Born in Conservation Biology - SUNY Cortland News - June 22nd, 2017
- eils Krios microscope, opening new possibilities in biology research - Yale News - June 22nd, 2017
- Piecing together genetic histories of isolated populations - BMC Blogs Network (blog) - June 22nd, 2017
- Compromise on high school biology test passes first committee | The ... - The Spokesman-Review - June 21st, 2017
- 'Breatharian' couple magically defies biology, subsists only on clicks and BS - Mashable - June 21st, 2017
- UNF Spinnaker : Biology Professor Brews Up A Buzz - UNF Spinnaker - June 21st, 2017
- To connect biology with electronics, be rigid, yet flexible - Phys.org - Phys.Org - June 20th, 2017
- Biology teacher, Schreibvogel has wild side job | Local News ... - The Garden City Telegram - June 20th, 2017
- Biology Team Samples Drought-Tolerant Bacteria in Death Valley - Wesleyan Connection (blog) - June 20th, 2017
- The Maths of Life and Death: Our Secret Weapon in the Fight ... - Scientific American - June 18th, 2017
- Support Science Communication at Plant Biology 2017 - Biofortified Blog - June 17th, 2017
- Pierre Coulombe, Ph.D. to lead UM Department of Cell & Developmental Biology - University of Michigan Health System News (press release) - June 17th, 2017
- 'The cold biological truth is that sex changes are impossible,' says Camille Paglia - Washington Examiner - June 16th, 2017
- SUNY Potsdam biology professor warns motorists to watch for threatened turtles on North Country roadways - North Country Now - June 16th, 2017
- Rich Lenski elected associate member of the European Molecular Biology Organization - MSUToday - June 16th, 2017
- Local students wrap up a week of marine biology camp - WWSB ABC 7 - June 16th, 2017
- Senate would give high school seniors a break on biology test requirement - The Spokesman-Review - June 15th, 2017
- Five reasons we're excited by how structural biology is advancing cancer research - The Institute of Cancer Research (blog) - June 15th, 2017
- 18th International Congress of Developmental Biology (June 18 22, 2017): Hongyan Wang - PLoS Blogs (blog) - June 15th, 2017
- Revealing New Details of Cancer Biology with Automated Kinetic Live Cell Imaging - Bioscience Technology - June 15th, 2017
- Biology A-level students mark down exam board after yet another error - The Guardian - June 13th, 2017
- Leaving Cert biology: Incinerator and IVF on lively paper - Irish Times - June 13th, 2017
- 'Exciting biology' uncovers plants' high-fat diet for fungal benefactors - Phys.Org - June 13th, 2017
- The Exquisite Design of Human Biology - Discovery Institute - June 13th, 2017
- Retired biology professor's journey to carpet weaving - Daily Sabah - June 13th, 2017
- Synthetic Biology Expands and Grows - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - June 12th, 2017
- DePauw Mourns the Sudden Passing of Biology Prof. Bruce Serlin - DePauw University - June 12th, 2017
- UNCG biology research abuzz - UNCG Now - June 12th, 2017
- Uncovering the biology of a painful and disfiguring pediatric disease - Medical Xpress - June 12th, 2017
- The podocyte adhesome - Nature.com - June 12th, 2017
- Biology | Definition of Biology by Merriam-Webster - June 10th, 2017
- In Our View: Flunk Exam for Biology - The Columbian - June 10th, 2017
- CSU-Pueblo biology professor dies following crash - KKTV 11 News - June 10th, 2017
- Editorial: Kill biology, but don't undermine testing - The Spokesman-Review - June 10th, 2017
- FBI gets synthetic biology crash course at CSU - Source - June 10th, 2017