Photo Credit: Nati Shohat / Flash 90
Patients with severe and end-stage heart failure have few treatment options available to them apart from transplants and miraculous stem cell therapy. But a new Tel Aviv University study has found that stem cell therapy may in fact harm patients with heart disease.
The research, led by Prof. Jonathan Leor of TAUs Sackler Faculty of Medicine and Sheba Medical Center and conducted by TAUs Dr. Nili Naftali-Shani, explores the current practice of using cells from the host patient to repair tissue and contends that this can prove deleterious or toxic for patients. The study was recently published in the journal Circulation.
We found that, contrary to popular belief, tissue stem cells derived from sick hearts do not contribute to heart healing after injury, said Prof. Leor. Furthermore, we found that these cells are affected by the inflammatory environment and develop inflammatory properties. The affected stem cells may even exacerbate damage to the already diseased heart muscle.
Tissue or adult stem cells blank cells that can act as a repair kit for the body by replacing damaged tissue encourage the regeneration of blood vessel cells and new heart muscle tissue. Faced with a worse survival rate than many cancers, a number of patients with heart failure have turned to stem cell therapy as a last resort.
But our findings suggest that stem cells, like any drug, can have adverse effects, said Prof. Leor. We concluded that stem cells used in cardiac therapy should be drawn from healthy donors or be better genetically engineered for the patient.
Hope for improved cardiac stem cell therapy
In addition, the researchers also discovered the molecular pathway involved in the negative interaction between stem cells and the immune system as they isolated stem cells in mouse models of heart disease. After exploring the molecular pathway in mice, the researchers focused on cardiac stem cells in patients with heart disease.
The results could help improve the use of autologous stem cells those drawn from the patients themselves in cardiac therapy, Prof. Leor said.
We showed that the deletion of the gene responsible for this pathway can restore the original therapeutic function of the cells, said Prof. Leor. Our findings determine the potential negative effects of inflammation on stem cell function as theyre currently used. The use of autologous stem cells from patients with heart disease should be modified. Only stem cells from healthy donors or genetically engineered cells should be used in treating cardiac conditions.
The researchers are currently testing a gene editing technique (CRISPER) to inhibit the gene responsible for the negative inflammatory properties of the cardiac stem cells of heart disease patients. We hope our engineered stem cells will be resistant to the negative effects of the immune system, said Prof. Leor.
Meanwhile, for those unable to profit from stem cell therapy, researchers at Ben Gurion University of the Negev (BGU) have developed a revolutionary new drug that may reverse the damage and repair the diseased heart.
The newly developed drug is a polymer which reduces the inflammation in cardiovascular tissue and stops plaque build-up in arteries. Then it goes one step further and removes existing plaque in the heart, leaving healthy tissue behind.
Professor Ayelet David, a researcher at BGU revealed the drug might also help people suffering from diabetes, hypertension and other conditions associated with old age.
See the original post here:
Israeli Scientists: Stem Cell Therapy Not Good for All Heart Patients – The Jewish Press – JewishPress.com
- Stem cell - Wikipedia - March 18th, 2018
- What is Stem Cell Research? (with pictures) - March 18th, 2018
- Myths and Misconceptions About Stem Cell Research ... - March 18th, 2018
- Pros And Cons Of Stem Cell Research - March 18th, 2018
- Pros And Cons Of Stem Cell Research - Popular Issues - March 17th, 2018
- What is Stem Cell Research? (with pictures) - wiseGEEK - March 15th, 2018
- Stem Cell Research - Pros and Cons - Explorable.com - March 14th, 2018
- California: The Leader in Stem Cell Research | California ... - March 12th, 2018
- Stem Cell Basics I. | stemcells.nih.gov - March 5th, 2018
- The Stem Cell Debate: Is it Over? - Learn Genetics - February 25th, 2018
- Stem cell legislation in South Africa | Stem cell research ... - February 15th, 2018
- Stem-cell therapy - Wikipedia - February 8th, 2018
- Journal of Stem Cell Research and Therapy - Open Access ... - February 8th, 2018
- An Overview of Stem Cell Research | The Center for Bioethics ... - January 10th, 2018
- Catholic Support for Ethically Acceptable Stem Cell Research - January 7th, 2018
- Focus on Stem Cell Research | National Institute of ... - January 6th, 2018
- Stem cell controversy - Wikipedia - December 11th, 2017
- Facts About Abortion: Stem Cell Research and Abortion - December 6th, 2017
- Science Friction: Stem Cell Research - YouTube - November 27th, 2017
- Adult Stem Cells - Official Site - November 24th, 2017
- Researchers Turn Skin Cells into Motor Neurons Without Using Stem Cells - Futurism - September 7th, 2017
- Transformative technology: Encapsulated human cells to ... - Medical Xpress - September 7th, 2017
- Zika Virus Targets and Kills Brain Cancer Stem Cells - UC San Diego Health - September 7th, 2017
- Italian scientists welcome surprise 400 million boost for basic research - Science Magazine - September 7th, 2017
- ICMR's stem cell research guidelines soon to be released - ETHealthworld.com - August 29th, 2017
- FDA Cracks Down On Stem-Cell Clinics Selling Unapproved Treatments - NPR - August 29th, 2017
- It's Not a Rat's Race for Human Stem Cells Grafted to Repair Spinal Cord Injuries - UC San Diego Health - August 29th, 2017
- Bone Marrow Protein May Be Target for Improving Stem Cell Transplants - Penn: Office of University Communications - August 29th, 2017
- UT Southwestern Research Reveals Dual Benefits in Vitamin C for Cell Function, Cancer Prevention - D Healthcare Daily - August 28th, 2017
- A new clue to hair loss: A misbehaving enzyme in follicle stem cells - STAT - August 27th, 2017
- Mouse model of human immune system inadequate for stem cell ... - Stanford Medical Center Report - August 27th, 2017
- Stem Cell Treatment for Children With Spina Bifida Helps Dogs First ... - UC Davis - August 27th, 2017
- Stem cell research could double avo production - Fruitnet - August 27th, 2017
- Researchers discover cancer stem cell pathway in endometrial cancer - Medical Xpress - August 24th, 2017
- Bacterial infection stresses hematopoietic stem cells - Medical Xpress - August 24th, 2017
- North Carolina Advances in Stem Cell Therapy for Lung Diseases Could Lead to Clinical Trial Soon - Lung Disease News - August 24th, 2017
- ImmunoCellular Plans Job Cuts in Shift to Stem-to-T-Cell Program - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News (press release) - August 24th, 2017
- Mouse model of human immune system inadequate for stem cell studies - Medical Xpress - August 23rd, 2017
- Stem Cell Treatments for Lung Diseases Advance - Healthline - August 23rd, 2017
- Vitamin C Regulates Stem Cell Function - Technology Networks - August 23rd, 2017
- Scientists discover vitamin C regulates stem cell function, curbs leukemia development - Medical Xpress - August 23rd, 2017
- On gun-violence research, California sets an example for the nation - Washington Post - August 23rd, 2017
- STONE: Certain medical practices can prey on false hopes - Odessa American - August 21st, 2017
- Can Stem Cells Finally Solve Hair Loss? - Wall Street Pit - August 20th, 2017
- Blood cancer: High doses of vitamin C could encourage stem cells to die - Express.co.uk - August 19th, 2017
- Former Hollywood Stuntman Raising $10000 For His Stem Cell Therapy - DNAinfo - August 19th, 2017
- Belize Biochemist's Groundbreaking Stem Cell Research - Channel 7 Daily News - August 19th, 2017
- Stem cell researchers discover promising lead in quest for hair regrowth - PhillyVoice.com - August 18th, 2017
- Scientists Discover New Hair Growth Technique Using Stem Cells - TrendinTech - August 18th, 2017
- Life Science investment paying dividends - The Recorder - August 18th, 2017
- Vitamin C may encourage blood cancer stem cells to die - Medical Xpress - August 17th, 2017
- We Just Figured out How to Activate Stem Cells to Treat Baldness - Futurism - August 17th, 2017
- Deval Patrick's 10-year, $1B life sciences plan bears fruit in Mass. - The Recorder - August 17th, 2017
- Cardiac stem cells rejuvenate rats' aging hearts, study says - CNN - CNN - August 15th, 2017
- UCLA scientists identify a new way to activate stem cells to make hair grow - UCLA Newsroom - August 15th, 2017
- Stem cell agency eyes survival options - Capitol Weekly - August 15th, 2017
- Stimulating Stem Cells to Encourage Hair Growth - Anti Aging News - August 15th, 2017
- Researchers Discover New Key to Hair Growth - R & D Magazine - August 15th, 2017
- Outrage over S.Korean stem cell scandal official's new post - Phys.Org - August 9th, 2017
- University of Minnesota bioethicist takes on clinics touting stem-cell studies - Minneapolis Star Tribune - August 9th, 2017
- Microcephaly brain size linked to mutation in stem cell micro environment - Medical Xpress - August 9th, 2017
- Amniotic sac in a dish: Stem cells form structures that may aid of infertility research - Phys.Org - August 8th, 2017
- Odessa physician offering stem cell therapy - Odessa American - August 8th, 2017
- Breakthrough Stem Cell Study Offers New Clues to Reversing Aging - Singularity Hub - August 7th, 2017
- Researchers Use Simpler, Safer Method to Obtain Stem Cells for Treating Lung Diseases - Cystic Fibrosis News Today - August 7th, 2017
- Nanochip could heal injuries or regrow organs with one touch, say researchers - The Guardian - August 7th, 2017
- The rise of unproven stem cell therapies turned this obscure scientist into an industry watchdog - Science Magazine - August 4th, 2017
- High school student gets an early start in stem cell research at USC - USC News - August 2nd, 2017
- Hypothalamic Stem Cells Could Provide New Insights Into Aging - Futurism - August 2nd, 2017
- Regulating Stem Cell Therapy - MedPage Today - MedPage Today - July 31st, 2017
- UCI researchers use stem cells as cancer-seeking missiles - 89.3 KPCC - July 31st, 2017
- Stem cell brain implants could 'slow ageing and extend life', study ... - The Guardian - July 31st, 2017
- Revised draft norms for stem cell research marks many restrictive areas - pharmabiz.com - July 31st, 2017
- 'Stem-cell tourism' needs tighter controls, say medical experts - Washington Post - July 9th, 2017
- Private clinics' peddling of unproven stem cell treatments is unsafe and unethical - The Conversation AU - July 7th, 2017
- Colon Cancer-Driven Stem Cells Linked to High-Fat Diet - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - July 7th, 2017
- Stem cell therapies: medical experts call for strict international rules - The Guardian - July 7th, 2017
- Greater understanding of plant hormone results in stem cells that grow shoots - Phys.Org - July 4th, 2017
- Canadian clinics begin offering stem-cell treatments experts call unproven, possibly unsafe - National Post - July 4th, 2017
- Stem Cell Assay Market Driven by Rising Diversity of Applications - TMR Research Blog (press release) (blog) - July 4th, 2017