This is part II of the Mirena Awareness Petition. As promised, the original petition has been closed and sent to the appropriate authorities at the FDA, as well as the media. We feel that it is important to keep this petition going, so we will continue collecting your signatures and your stories.
If you have already signed the original petition, please do not sign again. If you would like to read the testaments from the original petition, you can use this link:
Thousands of women are reporting numerous, often debilitating healthcare problems after receiving the Mirena implant. Most were totally unaware of these potential complications until after the Mirena was inserted and they became sick. Many others are suffering, and have no idea that Mirena is the cause.
Mirena is an IUS used to prevent pregnancy. Its active ingredient is Levonorgestrel, a synthetic progestin (hormone). Side effect to this hormone are numerous and well documented.
The manufactures of Mirena, Bayer Healthcare, includes most of these side effect only in the physician insert (many adverse reactions are yet to be reported even there). The patient insert, however, contains only the most life threatening complications. Physicians are not providing patients with this information and too often, women are told that there are no side effects. Clearly, this is not the case.
The intention of this petition is to ensure all Mirena users, both potential and current, receive a full list of the adverse reactions associated with the use of Mirena. Not only do they have a right to make informed choices about their birth control, but they also require this information, so that when side effects arise, they are able to be properly diagnosed.
Mirena Awareness presented by S.O.M.E. (survivors of mirena effects)-
"The Mirena IUD isfine for some women, but S.O.M.E. have suffered devastating side effects"
We, the undersigned, respectfully request the U.S. Food and Drug administration do the following in regard to the Mirena IUS birth control:
1) Requirethe manufacturer of the Mirena IUS, (Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals), torevise the patientinformation forthisdevice to include all potential Mirena side effects currently listed only in the physician information portion of the label.
2) Require all medical practitionersinserting the Mirena to provide the patient with this information BEFORE the Mirena is inserted.
3) Require all medical practitioners toforward this updated information, along with an explanation of the changes, to allPatients for which they have prescribed/inserted the Mirena.
4) Recommend investigation into the additional temporary and long term side effectsbeing reported (as outlined here)that are not currently mentioned in either the doctor or patient information for the Mirena device.
Many women are reporting numerous, often debilitating healthcare problems after receiving the Mirena implant. Most are unaware of the potential for complications before the Mirena is inserted and have no idea that Mirena is the cause when they become sick.
The patient information for the device contains warnings for the following side effects ONLY:
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, infection, embedment, perforation, discomfort during placement, expulsion, missed menstrual periods, changes in bleeding, ovarian cysts.
This is the only "adverse reaction" information the patient will typically receive.
The following adverse reactions appear ONLY on the physician information for the Mirena (per the officialphysician information):
abdominal/pelvic pain, vaginal discharge, nausea, headache, nervousness, vulvovaginitis, dysmerorrhea (cramps), back pain, weight increase, breast pain/tenderness, acne, decreased libido, depressed mood, cervicitis (vaginal infection), hypertension, migraine, vomiting, anemia, dyspareunia (painful intercourse), alopecia (hair loss), eczema, pruritus (itchiness), rash, urticaria (hives), abdominal distension, altered mood, hirsutism (abnormal hair growth), edema (swelling).
Although doctors are instructed to share this information with the patient, they often do not. In many cases, even when specifically asked, doctors are denying a possible link between Mirena and these symptoms. Patients are consistently told there are "no side effects," and that the synthetic hormone (levonorgestrel) contained in the mirena cannot be harmful because the hormone release is localizedto the uterus.
The reluctance of doctors to acknowledge the many possibleadverse reactions to the Mirena, including the ones documented by the manufacturer, suggests that they are alarmingly ill-informed or purposely obtuse--resulting in prolonged patient suffering and extensive medical expenses while seeking diagnosis/treatment of Mirena-related issues.
In addition,Mirena users are reporting additional common side effects that are not documentedin any of the Mirena information provided by the manufacturer.
These include, but are not limited to:
anxiety, mental fog, double-vision, tinnitus, appetite increase, constipation, flatulence, polyuria (frequent urination),chest pain/heart palpitations, shortness of breath, bronchitis, fatigue/drowsiness, fainting, loss of nerve sensation/tingling in extremities, tremor, weight loss, insomnia, cold intolerance, thyroid dysfunction, nonpuerperal lactation.
Patients have the right to make informed decisions regarding the use of the Mirena. To do so, they are reliant on their doctors and the manufacturer for full disclosure of potential risks/side effects. Doctors are responsible for understanding these risks, and properly diagnosing and treating side effects when they occur.
Since patients are NOT currently receiving appropriate counseling and information regarding the Mirena/Levonorgestrel, nor receiving proper treatment and diagnosis for the resultant adverse effects, we ask that the FDA consider the above changes to prevent furtherdebilitation, suffering and expenseon the part of women using this device.
Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter.
Read the original post:
petition: Mirena Awareness Part II
- Eczema symptoms: Whats the difference between eczema and psoriasis? - Express - July 3rd, 2020
- Vendor of the Week: Peaches N Cream soaps soothe the skin - Greenville Daily Reflector - July 3rd, 2020
- I make soap from my BREAST MILK and my whole family bathe with it its done wonders for our skin - The Sun - July 3rd, 2020
- Dermatology Diagnostic Devices and Therapeutics Market Analysis and Forecast 2017 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 3rd, 2020
- Eczema: Treatments, causes, symptoms and more - TODAY - TODAY - July 1st, 2020
- Genetics, profession: Heres the reason why eczema happens - Hindustan Times - July 1st, 2020
- Eczema treatment: Apply this essential oil to ease symptoms of the skin condition - Express - June 17th, 2020
- Eczema rash: The warning sign your skin condition has developed an infection - Express - June 17th, 2020
- Dermavant Announces Publication in JAAD of Secondary Efficacy and Patient-Reported Outcomes in Phase 2b Clinical Trial of Tapinarof Cream for the... - June 17th, 2020
- How To Protect Your Skin While Wearing A Face Mask - Grit Daily - June 17th, 2020
- Licorice Root: Benefits, Uses, Precautions, and Dosage - Healthline - June 17th, 2020
- New Cannabis Products: OTC Topicals, A Fast-Acting Line And A Creative Thinking Journal - Yahoo Finance - June 17th, 2020
- COVID 19 Prevention: The Good, The Bad and The Other. - Adventist News Network - June 17th, 2020
- Eczema cream: Dermatologists reveal the top three emollients to relieve itchy, sore skin - Express.co.uk - June 10th, 2020
- CBRE named exclusive leasing agent for growing salt therapy provider - NJBIZ - June 10th, 2020
- How To Keep Your Skin Healthy While Constantly Wearing A Face Mask - CBS Boston - June 10th, 2020
- Baby acne: symptoms, signs and treatment - Netdoctor - June 10th, 2020
- 3 ways to get rid of eczema and prevent flare ups - Insider - INSIDER - June 8th, 2020
- Binghamton biomedical researchers get closer to why eczema happens - Binghamton University - June 8th, 2020
- My Green Mattress announces 4th of July Sale - Cherokee Tribune Ledger News - June 8th, 2020
- Eczema rash: The one surprising irritant you may be wearing - Express - May 28th, 2020
- Baby Soothing Salves for Diaper Rashes, Eczema and Irritated Skin - SheKnows - May 28th, 2020
- Beware two products with potent medicinal ingredients, HSA warns - The Straits Times - May 28th, 2020
- Medical Medium Anthony William on Why You Need to 'Cleanse to Heal' - Extra - May 28th, 2020
- Eight houseplants which could help boost your health - Shields Gazette - May 28th, 2020
- HSA warns about 2 'health' products that contain steroids, dangerous dose of erectile dysfunction drug - straits times - May 28th, 2020
- Enhance your mask skincare routine with these expert tips - PGH City Paper - May 28th, 2020
- Eczema Skin-Care Products Market 2020 By Manufacturers, Regions, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- Slippery fugitive, editor fires shot and Bullnanza - Hillsboro Times Gazette - May 16th, 2020
- Mother-daughter duos create Ruby's Natural Hair Care to offer beauty remedies - Rolling Out - May 16th, 2020
- How to protect your skin while wearing a mask - Telegraph.co.uk - May 14th, 2020
- Lockdown beauty: Best self-care tips and tricks from the Turks | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - May 14th, 2020
- HOTH THERAPEUTICS : MANAGEMENT'S DISCUSSION AND ANALYSIS OF FINANCIAL CONDITION AND RESULTS OF OPERATIONS. (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - May 14th, 2020
- CQ Science Introduces CQuell: First-Ever Line of Cannabis-Derived Skincare Products for Sensitive Skin - Yahoo Finance - May 14th, 2020
- People are obsessed with Amazons No. 1 anti-aging body exfoliator: Youll wish you tried this sooner - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Eczema: Should you be worried about small, itchy blisters on your hands and feet? - Express - May 13th, 2020
- Cracked skin on hands and feet: Causes and treatments - Medical News Today - May 13th, 2020
- Eczema treatment - the 1.50 oil to protect against dry skin at home - Express - May 13th, 2020
- Helpful tips to protect your skin while wearing a mask - NorthcentralPa.com - May 13th, 2020
- The Best Tea Tree Oil Balm That You Can Buy on Amazon - STYLECASTER - May 13th, 2020
- Does your child have chronic ear, nose and throat symptoms? It could be allergies - Omaha World-Herald - May 13th, 2020
- Expert tips: A dermatologist on how to look after your skin at the moment - The Irish Times - May 13th, 2020
- 7 Types of Eczema: Symptoms, Causes, and Pictures - April 27th, 2020
- Brighton study could mean better treatment for babies with eczema and wheeziness - Brighton and Hove News - April 27th, 2020
- Mum claims 3.50 cream soothed her babys eczema which was so severe the tot couldnt get dressed or leave the - The Sun - April 27th, 2020
- Skin irritation becoming side effect of COVID-19 pandemic - WHNT News 19 - April 27th, 2020
- Amid Family Upheaval, a Heroine Finds Comfort in the Concrete - The New York Times - April 27th, 2020
- Itches, acne and insomnia: How stressing over coronavirus affects your body - Global News - April 27th, 2020
- Atopic Eczema Treatment Market 2020 Future Growth Prospects and Trends | Novartis AG, F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG, Pfizer Inc and Others - Cole of Duty - April 27th, 2020
- Stocks making the biggest moves in the premarket: American Express, Verizon, Intel, Tesla & more - CNBC - April 27th, 2020
- One in five with Covid-19 in Italy had same symptom - MyLondon - April 27th, 2020
- Soothe irritation with this $28 dermatologist-approved cream: 'Saved my skin' - AOL - April 27th, 2020
- Eczema Diet: Best Foods, Worst Foods, Special Diets, and More - April 21st, 2020
- Hand Eczema Is On The Rise Due To All Of Our Extra Handwashing - hypehair.com - April 21st, 2020
- LEO Pharma mounts another challenge to the eczema giants, betting $40M cash on a drug from China - Endpoints News - April 21st, 2020
- Exfoliating Eczema-Prone Skin: This Mens Bar Soap Is the Only Exfoliator That Doesnt Irritate My Skin - Self - April 21st, 2020
- COVID-19 Update: How To Avoid Dry Skin, Eczema And Dermatitis After Washing Hands More Frequently - International Business Times - April 21st, 2020
- What to do if you have dry skin or eczema from washing your hands repeatedly - Watford Observer - April 21st, 2020
- Skin Rashes and COVID-19 Connection Found by Dermatologists - Allure - April 21st, 2020
- Health Care Practitioners Give Advice for Dry Hands and Other Skin Conditions - WHO TV Des Moines - April 21st, 2020
- Beauty Of 5 #420 Edition: CBD And Hemp Seed Oil Products That Will Bless Your Skin - MadameNoire - April 21st, 2020
- Why is my skin worse in isolation? The reasons behind breakouts, spots, dryness and dull complexions - The National - April 21st, 2020
- Skin conditions and frequent hand-washing because of coronavirus what you should know - Health24 - April 21st, 2020
- Here's what to do if you have dry skin or eczema from repeatedly washing your hands - Derry Journal - April 13th, 2020
- Scientists identify a protein that switches on allergic itching - New Atlas - April 13th, 2020
- What to do when your extra clean hands are also cracked and dry - CBC.ca - April 13th, 2020
- Preventing Coronavirus Exposure When You Have Psoriasis and Eczema - Everyday Health - April 12th, 2020
- Here's Why Regenerons Stock Is Worth More Than Its Coronavirus Work - Motley Fool - April 12th, 2020
- Doctor recommends using superglue to heal painful condition: 'Believe it or not' - Yahoo News - April 12th, 2020
- Coronavirus: How to properly care for dry hands caused by hand-washing and sanitiser, according to dermatologists - The Independent - April 12th, 2020
- Do You Have 'Iso Skin'? Why Your Face Is Freaking Out And How To Fix It - 10 daily - April 12th, 2020
- Try This Vegan Carrot Cupcake Recipe, by the Creator of Lael Cakes - The Beet - April 12th, 2020
- Common protein in skin that directly activates itch-associated neurons: Study - Yahoo India News - April 12th, 2020
- #SkinSchool: How to tell if you have hand eczema - harpersbazaar.com - March 29th, 2020
- Eczema, dermatitis and how to treat dry, flaky and itchy skin - ABC News - March 29th, 2020
- Best ways to treat eczema - Daily Monitor - March 29th, 2020
- My Top 3 Drug Stocks to Buy in the Market Crash - Motley Fool - March 29th, 2020
- Teen Whose Friends Joked That She's 'Allergic To Her Boyfriend' After Painful Flare Up Is 'Saved' By $18 Coffee Scrub - Comic Sands - March 29th, 2020
- It takes a whole world to create a new virus, not just China - The Guardian - March 29th, 2020
- Hand-washing to fight the spread of coronavirus: Here are 6 hand lotions to heal dry, cracked skin - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 29th, 2020