Cerebral palsy is the name for a group of lifelong conditions that affect movement and co-ordination, caused by a problem with the brain that occurs before, during or soon after birth.
The symptoms of cerebral palsy aren't usually obvious just after a baby is born. They normally become noticeable during the first two or three years of a child's life.
Symptoms can include:
The severity of symptoms can vary significantly. Some people only have minor problems, while othersmay beseverely disabled.
Read more about thesymptoms of cerebral palsy.
Speak to your health visitor or GP if you have any concerns about your child's health or development.
Symptoms like those of cerebral palsycan have a number of different causes and aren't necessarily a sign of anything serious.
Your child may be referred to specialists in child development who can do some checks and tests tosee if there is a problem.
Read more abouttests for cerebral palsy.
Cerebral palsy can occur ifa baby'sbrain doesn't develop normally while in the womb, or isdamaged during or soon after birth.
Causes of cerebral palsy include:
But in many cases,the exact cause isn't clear.
Read more about the causes of cerebral palsy.
There's currently no cure for cerebral palsy, but treatments are available to helppeople with the conditionhave anormal and independent a life as possible.
A team of healthcare professionals will work with you to come up with a treatment planthat meets your or your child's needs.
Readmore about treatments for cerebral palsy.
Cerebral palsy affects each person differently and it may be verydifficult to predict what the outlook will be for you or your child.
Speak to your care team about the likely effects of cerebral palsy on you or your child.
If you or your child have been diagnosed with cerebral palsy, you may find it useful to contact a support group for information and advice.
Scopeis the main UK charity for people with cerebral palsy and their families.They offer:
You may also want to ask your care team if they can provide information about support groups in your local area.
Media last reviewed: 22/04/2017
Media review due: 22/04/2020
Page last reviewed: 15/03/2017Next review due: 15/03/2020
The rest is here:
Cerebral palsy - NHS
- Cardiac Rhythms | Lessons and Practice Strips - April 20th, 2019
- Heart arrhythmia - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - April 20th, 2019
- The SHaRe Cardiomyopathy Registry - April 8th, 2019
- 2019 Tissue Repair and Regeneration Conference GRC - April 2nd, 2019
- Cardiology Conferences | Cardiology World Congress 2019 ... - March 18th, 2019
- Photosynthesis - Definition, Equation and Products ... - March 6th, 2019
- Singanitropin HGH 100 IU by Singani Pharma - pharmacomstore.ws - February 9th, 2019
- Radiofrequency ablation - Wikipedia - January 14th, 2019
- What are the different types of heart disease? | Heart ... - December 30th, 2018
- The Heart Truth - Lower Heart Disease Risk - December 30th, 2018
- Heart arrhythmia - Wikipedia - December 27th, 2018
- Cardiac arrest - Wikipedia - December 27th, 2018
- What Is Arrhythmia? Symptoms, Treatment, Causes & Types - December 27th, 2018
- Cardiovascular disease - Wikipedia - December 25th, 2018
- Different heart diseases - World Heart Federation - December 25th, 2018
- 5 Types of Heart Disease Symptoms, Risk Factors, Causes ... - December 25th, 2018
- Heart Diseases & Disorders - December 25th, 2018
- Eating too much added sugar increases the risk of dying ... - December 25th, 2018
- Eczema Symptoms & Causes | National Eczema Association - December 23rd, 2018
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema) - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - December 23rd, 2018
- Dermatitis - Wikipedia - December 23rd, 2018
- Community Mental Health Centers - MS Department of Mental ... - December 9th, 2018
- Cardiomyopathy | National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute ... - December 5th, 2018
- Cardiomyopathy - Wikipedia - December 5th, 2018
- Cardiomyopathy - British Heart Foundation - December 5th, 2018
- Ventricle (heart) - Wikipedia - December 4th, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy Symptoms & Types - WebMD - November 27th, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy - November 27th, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy Diagnosis and Treatments | Gillette Children's ... - November 27th, 2018
- Cerebral palsy | Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center ... - November 27th, 2018
- Spastic cerebral palsy - Wikipedia - November 27th, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy - CHASA - November 27th, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy | Boston Children's Hospital - November 27th, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy | Cleveland Clinic - November 27th, 2018
- Heart Attack (Myocardial Infarction) | Symptoms and Causes - November 22nd, 2018
- Interventional Cardiology | WVU Heart and Vascular Institute - November 21st, 2018
- gmcheart.com - Cardiovascular Services at Gwinnett Medical ... - November 14th, 2018
- Sudden Death in Dogs - Pet Health Network - October 15th, 2018
- Welcome to the ABG Tutorial - Welcome to Hansen - October 13th, 2018
- Wound Care - KRMC - September 19th, 2018
- Board of Directors Summary - Victor Chang Cardiac Research ... - August 18th, 2018
- TARA / Innovating predictive cardiac physiology - August 18th, 2018
- Cardiac Nursing Care: NCP - 5 Nursing Diagnosis for ... - August 2nd, 2018
- Welcome to Hansen Nursing - August 2nd, 2018
- Cardiac Surgery Advanced life Support - Home - August 2nd, 2018
- CV Physiology | Ventricular and Atrial Hypertrophy and ... - July 31st, 2018
- Coronary artery disease - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - July 29th, 2018
- EBR Systems, Inc - July 17th, 2018
- What is Atrial Fibrillation (AF)? - Heart Foundation NZ - July 15th, 2018
- Blood vessel - Wikipedia - July 12th, 2018
- Nuclear Medicine - Molecular Imaging - Nuclear Medicine ... - July 11th, 2018
- Division of Pediatric Cardiology | University of Maryland ... - July 11th, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy Treatment | Birth Injury Guide - July 9th, 2018
- 2018 Multiscale Plant Vascular Biology Conference GRC - June 23rd, 2018
- Diuretics - Pharmacology - Merck Veterinary Manual - June 18th, 2018
- Cannabis Treatment for Parkinson's Disease Green Rush Daily - June 11th, 2018
- NHS Direct Wales - Encyclopaedia : Ulcerative colitis - June 11th, 2018
- 2018 Cardiac Regulatory Mechanisms Conference GRC - June 7th, 2018
- Fight Heart Disease - Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute - June 7th, 2018
- Aegean Conferences - June 7th, 2018
- Concentric Remodeling - Cardioserv - June 5th, 2018
- Pediatric Heart Institute | Children's Hospital Vanderbilt - June 2nd, 2018
- Cardiac rhythm abnormalities - symptoms and treatment ... - May 30th, 2018
- Heart Rhythm Abnormalities (Arrhythmias) - NYP.org - May 30th, 2018
- Interventional radiology - Wikipedia - May 27th, 2018
- Congenital Heart Defects, Simplified - May 23rd, 2018
- UKNEQAS for Molecular Genetics - May 23rd, 2018
- Welcome to the ABG Tutorial - Welcome to Hansen Nursing - May 22nd, 2018
- Cardiac catheterization - Mayo Clinic - May 22nd, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy Spasticity in Children - Causes, Effects ... - May 6th, 2018
- Arnold Schwarzenegger undergoes heart surgery | Film | The ... - April 4th, 2018
- Arnold Schwarzenegger Undergoes Emergency Heart Surgery - April 4th, 2018
- Cardiac Surgery - University of California, San Francisco ... - April 4th, 2018
- Atopic Eczema - Patient - March 12th, 2018
- Eczema Symptoms | Causes | Treatments | Types | Triggers - March 2nd, 2018
- Crohns Disease and Ulcerative Colitis - February 6th, 2018
- Ulcerative Colitis - Drugs.com - February 6th, 2018
- Stem Cell Treatment for Cerebral Palsy Beike Biotechnology - January 22nd, 2018
- Adult Stem Cells - Therapies and Treatments - January 3rd, 2018
- Muscular Dystrophy - OrthoInfo - AAOS - December 25th, 2017