The Childrens Heart Program is committed to providing comprehensive cardiac care for children, from fetal life into adulthood, with congenital heart disease, and for children with acquired heart disease.
Our mission is to expand our services to meet the diverse needs of those in the state of Maryland, so that no one needs to leave the state to seek heart care.
A wide spectrum of cardiology subspecialties and services are offered here at the University of Maryland Childrens Hospital including:
The program offers cardiac evaluations using the most advanced technology to diagnose and treat structural and functional cardiac abnormalities.
In October 2010, the Childrens Heart Program opened the Pediatric Hybrid Cardiac Catheterization Suite. This state-of-the-art suite is the first of its kind in the mid-Atlantic region. The hybrid suite serves as both a fully dedicated pediatric cardiac catheterization laboratory and surgical suite.
Cardiac catheterization is a diagnostic test that seeks to acquire additional information about the structure and function of a persons heart.
Some cardiac catheterization procedures also allow the interventional cardiologist to improve or even fix an underlying heart defect. Procedures include:
State-of-the-art cardiac MRI technology is available to non-invasively diagnose even the most complex forms of congenital heart disease.
The Childrens Heart Program has expertise in the management and treatment of heart rhythm abnormalities, including placement and programming of pacemakers in children.
The Childrens Heart Program offers several comprehensive sub-specialty clinics with the goal of providing individualized treatment and education for specific patient populations.
The Childrens Heart Program Lipid Clinic offers evaluation and treatment of lipid disorders in children and adolescents. This program is designed to help children and adolescents prevent the development of heart disease through diet, exercise, and weight management techniques.
Cardiologists assess risk factors for atherosclerosis including, cholesterol, obesity, hypertension, and diabetes and then partner with families to create an individualized plan to encourage a healthy lifestyle and to manage risk factors. Services offered include:
This specialized clinic is a collaborative effort between the Childrens Heart Program and the Division of Pediatric Genetics. This program is dedicated to children who may have a family history of heart disease or a genetic abnormality known to influence cardiovascular health.
A team composed of a cardiologist, geneticist, and genetic counselor work together to diagnose and manage heritable cardiovascular disease and genetic conditions. The team provides clinical care, information, anticipatory guidance, and resources for children and their family members who may also be at risk for cardiovascular-genetic disorders.
The Childrens Heart Program has outreach clinics located in outlying areas to better meet the needs of all children who need cardiac care in the state and to bring needed clinical services closer to home.
The Childrens Heart Program organizes a Charity Running Team to participate in the Baltimore Running Festival, which takes place each year in October. The team is led by avid runner and Program Director, Geoffrey Rosenthal, M.D., Ph.D., and works to raise awareness and funds for the Childrens Heart Program.
Geoffrey Rosenthal, M.D., Ph.D. is a founding member and current task force member of this national collaborative dedicated to quality improvement among medical institutions. The NPC-QIC developed a national database, which monitors the quality of care and provides best practice guidelines for the care of patients with hypoplastic left heart syndrome. In 2010, the University of Maryland Childrens Hospital became a member of the collaborative, joining close to 50 hospitals.
The American College of Cardiology Foundation's IMPACT Registry (Improving Pediatric and Adult Congenital Treatment) is a national clinical data registry that assesses the prevalence, demographics, management, and outcomes of pediatric and adult patients with congenital heart disease who are undergoing diagnostic and interventional cardiac catheterizations. The University of Maryland Childrens Hospital is a member of the IMPACT Registry, which will provide significant contributions toward tracking outcomes and improving care for children and adults with congenital heart disease who are undergoing catheterization based treatments.
Geoffrey Rosenthal, M.D., Ph.D is the Co-Chair of the Quality Metrics Working Group (QMWG). The group, made up of more than 80 members is focused on defining and developing quality measures in eight areas: heart failure/transplantation, imaging, adult Congenital Heart Disease, general pediatric cardiology, electrophysiology, cardiac intervention, critical care and nursing. The QMWG is dedicated to the continual monitoring and improvement of clinical care and patient outcomes.
The University of Maryland School of Medicine and the University of Maryland Childrens Hospital are dedicated to medication safety for children. Dr. Geoffrey Rosenthal is the Chair of the PAC and has been a member since 2007.
Tragically, Paul and Vivian Schafers son, PJ, succumbed to sudden cardiac death while playing college lacrosse in 2003. To help cope with their grief, they wanted to educate others about the disease. So they organized an annual golf tournament to raise awareness and money for research to prevent it from affecting other young athletes and their families.
Read more from the original source:
Division of Pediatric Cardiology | University of Maryland ...
- NASH: The Second Wave - Seeking Alpha - February 22nd, 2020
- Act Out Theatre presents Of Mice and Men Jan. 10-12 - Wilkes Barre Times-Leader - January 10th, 2020
- Philly Hospital Owner Balks At Bid To Force Insurance Buy - Law360 - January 3rd, 2020
- A Story of Faith: The Pregnant Mother Who Had Cancer, Heart Failure and Two Strokes in One Year - Michigan Medicine - December 25th, 2019
- Family preparing for son to have open-heart surgery - Southend Standard - November 22nd, 2019
- Early Menopause Increases Heart Risks - The New York Times - November 22nd, 2019
- 'I feel lucky': how a life-threatening infection inspired a mission to fight superbugs - Telegraph.co.uk - November 22nd, 2019
- Cardiac Rhythms | Lessons and Practice Strips - April 20th, 2019
- Heart arrhythmia - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - April 20th, 2019
- The SHaRe Cardiomyopathy Registry - April 8th, 2019
- 2019 Tissue Repair and Regeneration Conference GRC - April 2nd, 2019
- Cardiology Conferences | Cardiology World Congress 2019 ... - March 18th, 2019
- Photosynthesis - Definition, Equation and Products ... - March 6th, 2019
- Singanitropin HGH 100 IU by Singani Pharma - pharmacomstore.ws - February 9th, 2019
- Radiofrequency ablation - Wikipedia - January 14th, 2019
- What are the different types of heart disease? | Heart ... - December 30th, 2018
- The Heart Truth - Lower Heart Disease Risk - December 30th, 2018
- Heart arrhythmia - Wikipedia - December 27th, 2018
- Cardiac arrest - Wikipedia - December 27th, 2018
- What Is Arrhythmia? Symptoms, Treatment, Causes & Types - December 27th, 2018
- Cardiovascular disease - Wikipedia - December 25th, 2018
- Different heart diseases - World Heart Federation - December 25th, 2018
- 5 Types of Heart Disease Symptoms, Risk Factors, Causes ... - December 25th, 2018
- Heart Diseases & Disorders - December 25th, 2018
- Eating too much added sugar increases the risk of dying ... - December 25th, 2018
- Eczema Symptoms & Causes | National Eczema Association - December 23rd, 2018
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema) - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - December 23rd, 2018
- Dermatitis - Wikipedia - December 23rd, 2018
- Community Mental Health Centers - MS Department of Mental ... - December 9th, 2018
- Cardiomyopathy | National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute ... - December 5th, 2018
- Cardiomyopathy - Wikipedia - December 5th, 2018
- Cardiomyopathy - British Heart Foundation - December 5th, 2018
- Ventricle (heart) - Wikipedia - December 4th, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy Symptoms & Types - WebMD - November 27th, 2018
- Cerebral palsy - NHS - November 27th, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy - November 27th, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy Diagnosis and Treatments | Gillette Children's ... - November 27th, 2018
- Cerebral palsy | Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center ... - November 27th, 2018
- Spastic cerebral palsy - Wikipedia - November 27th, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy - CHASA - November 27th, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy | Boston Children's Hospital - November 27th, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy | Cleveland Clinic - November 27th, 2018
- Heart Attack (Myocardial Infarction) | Symptoms and Causes - November 22nd, 2018
- Interventional Cardiology | WVU Heart and Vascular Institute - November 21st, 2018
- gmcheart.com - Cardiovascular Services at Gwinnett Medical ... - November 14th, 2018
- Sudden Death in Dogs - Pet Health Network - October 15th, 2018
- Welcome to the ABG Tutorial - Welcome to Hansen - October 13th, 2018
- Wound Care - KRMC - September 19th, 2018
- Board of Directors Summary - Victor Chang Cardiac Research ... - August 18th, 2018
- TARA / Innovating predictive cardiac physiology - August 18th, 2018
- Cardiac Nursing Care: NCP - 5 Nursing Diagnosis for ... - August 2nd, 2018
- Welcome to Hansen Nursing - August 2nd, 2018
- Cardiac Surgery Advanced life Support - Home - August 2nd, 2018
- CV Physiology | Ventricular and Atrial Hypertrophy and ... - July 31st, 2018
- Coronary artery disease - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - July 29th, 2018
- EBR Systems, Inc - July 17th, 2018
- What is Atrial Fibrillation (AF)? - Heart Foundation NZ - July 15th, 2018
- Blood vessel - Wikipedia - July 12th, 2018
- Nuclear Medicine - Molecular Imaging - Nuclear Medicine ... - July 11th, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy Treatment | Birth Injury Guide - July 9th, 2018
- 2018 Multiscale Plant Vascular Biology Conference GRC - June 23rd, 2018
- Diuretics - Pharmacology - Merck Veterinary Manual - June 18th, 2018
- Cannabis Treatment for Parkinson's Disease Green Rush Daily - June 11th, 2018
- NHS Direct Wales - Encyclopaedia : Ulcerative colitis - June 11th, 2018
- 2018 Cardiac Regulatory Mechanisms Conference GRC - June 7th, 2018
- Fight Heart Disease - Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute - June 7th, 2018
- Aegean Conferences - June 7th, 2018
- Concentric Remodeling - Cardioserv - June 5th, 2018
- Pediatric Heart Institute | Children's Hospital Vanderbilt - June 2nd, 2018
- Cardiac rhythm abnormalities - symptoms and treatment ... - May 30th, 2018
- Heart Rhythm Abnormalities (Arrhythmias) - NYP.org - May 30th, 2018
- Interventional radiology - Wikipedia - May 27th, 2018
- Congenital Heart Defects, Simplified - May 23rd, 2018
- UKNEQAS for Molecular Genetics - May 23rd, 2018
- Welcome to the ABG Tutorial - Welcome to Hansen Nursing - May 22nd, 2018
- Cardiac catheterization - Mayo Clinic - May 22nd, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy Spasticity in Children - Causes, Effects ... - May 6th, 2018
- Arnold Schwarzenegger undergoes heart surgery | Film | The ... - April 4th, 2018
- Arnold Schwarzenegger Undergoes Emergency Heart Surgery - April 4th, 2018
- Cardiac Surgery - University of California, San Francisco ... - April 4th, 2018