The first patient has been dosed in a Phase 2 clinical trial of ACE-083as a treatment for the muscle impairment inCharcot-Marie-Tooth disease, according to the therapys developer,Acceleron Pharma.
Acceleron is already evaluating ACE-083 in another Phase 2 trial this one as a treatment forfacioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy.
People diagnosed with CMT currently have no drug therapy options to address the major consequences of their disease, such as impaired walking and falls due to progressive muscle weakness in the lower leg, Dr. Colin Quinn, the new Phase 2 trials principal investigator,said in a press release. He is anassistant professor of clinical neurology at the University of Pennsylvanias Perelman School of Medicine.
ACE-083 has the potential to increase muscle growth and strength in the lower leg muscles we are targeting, and could improve patients ability to walk, Quinn said.
The therapy inhibits agents that impair muscle growth and strength.
Acceleron is developing it for muscular dystrophies with what scientists call focal muscle loss. That kind of loss occurs in a muscle or group of muscles in a specific part of the body.
A Phase 1 clinical trial (NCT02257489) showed that injecting ACE-083 into the legs of healthy volunteers increased their muscle volume. Researchers made the injections inthe rectus femoris a muscle in the upper leg or tibialis anterior a muscle in the lower leg that involves the ankle. The injections led to a 14.5 percent increase in muscle volume in the upper leg and an 8.9 percent increase in the lower leg.
No serious toxicities related to treatment were reported, indicating that ACE-083 was safe.
The positive results prompted Acceleron to move forward with its plans for the two-part Phase 2 clinical trial of ACE-083 in CMT. The study (NCT03124459) will assess ACE-083s ability to reduce weakness in the tibialis anterior, the legs largest muscle.
Acceleron hopes to recruit 42adults with CMT type1 or X-linked CMT for the trial, which will be held at 18 locations in the United States.
In the first part of the trial, 18 patients will receive ascending doses of ACE-083 in their tibialis anterior muscles once every three weeks for up to five doses.
In the second part, 24 patients will randomly receive the optimal dose level identified in Part 1 of the trial, or a placebo. Thesame treatment regimen used in Part 1 will apply to the second stage as well.
Researchers will assess the drugs effectiveness in the Part 2 portion of the trial by looking at changes in muscle volume, strength, and function. They will also evaluate its safety.
We are proud to have advanced ACE-083 into a second Phase 2 clinical trial, said Dr. Matthew Sherman, Accelerons executive vice president and chief medical officer. We designed our clinical development strategy for ACE-083 to explore its activity in diseases with weakness in specific muscles due to an underlying neurological or muscle disorder. With Phase 2 trials now under way in both CMT andfacioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy,we will be able to evaluate ACE-083s effect on both muscle strength and function across a range of neuromuscular diseases.
- Stem Cells From Young Hearts Could Rejuvenate Old Hearts - Technology Networks - August 16th, 2017
- Researchers Develop Newborn Screening Tool for Duchenne - Muscular Dystrophy News - August 15th, 2017
- SHEBOYGAN Fire Fighters Support MDA with Annual Fill the Boot Drive - WHBL Sheboygan - August 15th, 2017
- McLinn family champions national 'Right to Try' legislation - Greensburg Daily News - August 12th, 2017
- Mitobridge's Investigational DMD Therapy MA-0211 to Be Tested in Healthy Volunteers in Initial Clinical Trial - Muscular Dystrophy News - August 12th, 2017
- New test for screening of Duchenne muscular dystrophy in newborn babies - Medical Xpress - August 11th, 2017
- Americans want a say in human genome editing, survey shows - Los Angeles Times - August 11th, 2017
- RNA-targeting CRISPR could yield treatments for Huntington's, ALS - FierceBiotech - August 10th, 2017
- Lives hang in the balance while the FDA bureaucracy churns - Washington Examiner - August 10th, 2017
- Mitobridge's Novel Treatment Approach for Duchenne Muscular ... - Business Wire (press release) - August 8th, 2017
- My Walk with Faith While Living with MD - Muscular Dystrophy News - August 8th, 2017
- Interview - Santhera Readies Muscular Dystrophy Push - Seeking Alpha - August 8th, 2017
- Why were a little girl's muscles as weak as noodles? The answer was unexpected. - Washington Post - August 8th, 2017
- Biotech FibroGen soars more than 50% on positive lung disease treatment study - CNBC - August 8th, 2017
- 'Missing Links' to a Corrective Mechanism for a Severe Muscular Dystrophy - LWW Journals - August 6th, 2017
- Newly Convicted 'Pharma Bro' Martin Shkreli Shined a Light on Pharma's Biggest Scandals - Fortune - August 4th, 2017
- Dogs Are Developing Muscular Dystrophy Because of Cruel Animal Tests Let's End This! - One Green Planet - August 4th, 2017
- Gene Therapy Could Cure Muscular Dystrophy for Dogs and Humans - Edgy Labs (blog) - August 4th, 2017
- Firefighters helping fill the boot for MDA - Plainview Daily Herald - August 4th, 2017
- Children with muscular dystrophy will not get new drug - Irish Times - August 2nd, 2017
- Man's best mend Gene therapy reverses muscular dystrophy symptoms in dogs - Digital Trends - August 2nd, 2017
- Jiffy Lube and MDA Launch 6th Annual MUSCLE UP! Campaign for Kids and Adults Fighting Muscular Dystrophy - PR Newswire (press release) - August 1st, 2017
- U. of Missouri-led scientists improve gene transfer in Duchenne therapy - FierceBiotech - August 1st, 2017
- Muscular Dystrophy News - Muscular Dystrophy News - August 1st, 2017
- FDA Paves Way for Capricor to Hold Phase 2 Trial of CAP-1002 for Duchenne MD - Muscular Dystrophy News - August 1st, 2017
- Myrtle Beach Fire Fighters Support MDA with Annual Fill the Boot Drive - Myhorrynews - August 1st, 2017
- Muscular Dystrophy Reversed in Dogs - Vital Updates - August 1st, 2017
- 7 Myths About Physical Therapy - Muscular Dystrophy News - Muscular Dystrophy News - August 1st, 2017
- Gene therapy reverses muscular dystrophy symptoms in dogs - New Atlas - August 1st, 2017
- One FDA About-Face Doesn't Mean an Orphan-Drug Bonanza - Bloomberg - July 12th, 2017
- Coast-to-Coast Ride Ready For a Big Brooklyn Finish - The Tablet Catholic Newspaper - July 12th, 2017
- FDA Grants Orphan Drug Designation to Mallinckrodt Development Product for Potential Treatment of Duchenne ... - PR Newswire (press release) - July 12th, 2017
- The FDA Approved the First New Sickle Cell Drug in 20 YearsBut It's Not a Cure - Fortune - July 10th, 2017
- Here's Why PTC Therapeutics, Inc. Popped 45.2% in June ... - Madison.com - July 10th, 2017
- Experts Review Current and Potential Treatments for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy - Muscular Dystrophy News - July 9th, 2017
- Heart Failure Diagnosis and Therapy Reviewed in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Patients - Muscular Dystrophy News - July 9th, 2017
- Capricor Regains Rights to CAP-1002 as Janssen Ends Collaboration - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - July 7th, 2017
- Rare-Disease Drugmakers Join in Worries Over GOP Health Overhaul - Bloomberg - July 6th, 2017
- Designed proteins to treat muscular dystrophy - Medical Xpress - Medical Xpress - July 1st, 2017
- Santhera's Raxone Receives First Positive EAMS Scientific ... - GlobeNewswire (press release) - June 25th, 2017
- Potential leukemia drug better aimed at muscular dystrophy, NIH says - Patient Daily - June 25th, 2017
- Altavista community raises money for local firefighter battling form of ... - WSET - June 25th, 2017
- New Analyses of Translarna (ataluren) Data from ACT DMD Presented at the 12th Annual European Pediatric ... - PR Newswire (press release) - June 22nd, 2017
- Sarepta signs another Duchenne gene therapy pact as it aims for wider treatment - FierceBiotech - June 22nd, 2017
- Researchers Aim to Repurpose Failed Leukemia Drug to Treat ... - Managed Care magazine - June 17th, 2017
- RASRx Receives Orphan Drug Designation from FDA - Business Wire (press release) - June 17th, 2017
- Researchers aim to repurpose former experimental cancer therapy to treat muscular dystrophy - ScienceBlog.com (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- Muscle growth finding may assist with cancer treatment - Medical Xpress - June 14th, 2017
- Researchers aim to repurpose former experimental cancer therapy to treat muscular dystrophy - National Institutes of Health (press release) - June 14th, 2017
- Muscular Dystrophy - KidsHealth - the Web's most visited ... - June 14th, 2017
- Business owner doesn't let muscular dystrophy slow him down - Peoria Journal Star - June 13th, 2017
- PTC Therapeutics Announces FDA Advisory Committee Meeting for ... - PR Newswire (press release) - June 10th, 2017
- 'This is not the way': Bill Maher slams Texas A&M muscular dystrophy doc's 'cruel' dog experiments - Raw Story - June 3rd, 2017
- FDA Fast Tracks Muscular Dystrophy Drug backed by Woodford - Labiotech.eu (blog) - May 31st, 2017
- CD Access to Provide Special Access Program for Duchenne ... - Business Wire (press release) - May 31st, 2017
- AMO Pharma Announces FDA Fast Track Designation For AMO-02 For Treatment Of Congenital Myotonic Dystrophy - PR Newswire (press release) - May 30th, 2017
- Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Treatment Market Estimated to ... - MilTech - May 29th, 2017
- Capricor Therapeutics Announces Formation of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Advisory Board - PR Newswire (press release) - May 27th, 2017
- What do expensive drugs have in common? A new study breaks it down. - Boston Business Journal - May 24th, 2017
- Muscular Dystrophy - Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Life ... - May 19th, 2017
- Timothy Stoklosa, gifted artist who battled Duchenne muscular dystrophy, dies at 33 - Press Herald - May 19th, 2017
- Weekly steroids strengthen, repair muscles - Science Daily - May 19th, 2017
- Weekly steroids strengthen and repair muscles - Medical Xpress - May 17th, 2017
- Santhera to Present Data and Host Symposium on Pulmonary ... - GlobeNewswire (press release) - May 16th, 2017
- New Preclinical Data Support SGT-001 As A Novel Treatment ... - Business Wire (press release) - May 12th, 2017
- Bradley County Fire Department kicks off Fill the Boot for muscular ... - WTVC - May 12th, 2017
- GTx Announces Results from Preclinical Studies of SARMs in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Models Published in ... - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2017
- GTx Announces Results from Preclinical Studies of SARMs in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Models Published in ... - Business Wire (press release) - May 3rd, 2017
- New drug treatment helps Livingston boy continue to walk - Billings Gazette - April 30th, 2017
- Cell-based Therapy Shows Promise in Treating Duchenne Muscular ... - Bioscience Technology - April 28th, 2017
- Sarepta hikes forecast for Duchenne muscular dystrophy drug sales ... - Boston Business Journal - April 28th, 2017
- Duchenne muscular dystrophy: Push for Australian trials of homegrown drug - ABC Online - April 28th, 2017
- PTC Therapeutics Completes Acquisition of Emflaza for the ... - Yahoo Finance - April 26th, 2017
- Capricor Therapeutics Stock Surging on Positive Muscular Dystrophy Trial Results - TheStreet.com - April 26th, 2017
- Spinraza Beneficial in Later-Onset Spinal Muscular Dystrophy - Monthly Prescribing Reference (registration) - April 24th, 2017
- Sarepta Pops on Bullish Sentiment Around Duchenne Therapy, PDL Up on Merck Deal: Biotech Movers - TheStreet.com - April 24th, 2017
- Capricor Therapeutics to Report Six-Month Results from the Randomized Phase I/II HOPE Clinical - PR Newswire (press release) - April 24th, 2017
- Biotechs take lead in a new push against neurological disorders - The Boston Globe - April 21st, 2017
- PTC Therapeutics Completes Acquisition of Emflaza for the ... - PR Newswire (press release) - April 21st, 2017
- Inspired Westland swimmer finds her 'someone' to help, plans fund-raiser - Detroit Free Press - April 20th, 2017