Easton Hospital narrowed its areas of focus in 2019 by partnering with St. Lukes University Health Network for certain services, and plans to add to that list in 2020.
Linda Grass, president of Steward Health Cares Easton Hospital, described the new partnerships as part of a rebuilding of the Wilson Borough facilitys mission. The hospital cant be all things to all people, Grass said during the hospital board of trustees annual public meeting Nov. 21.
The bottom line for the trustees' chairman, Dr. Bruce Miles, is maintaining the jobs of the hospital's close to 600 employees.
"I think about it every day," Miles said, adding he is proud of the way the hospital's administration has been "stepping up to the plate."
Easton Hospital this year stopped providing neonatal intensive care unit, or NICU, services and cardiothoracic surgery through its partnership with St. Lukes. And while Easton Hospital continues to provide primary care for stroke patients as a Joint Commission Certified Primary Stroke Center, it is partnering with St. Lukes on tele-stroke consultations and transferring to St. Lukes those patients in need of high acuity interventional procedures, a Steward Health Care spokeswoman said.
St. Lukes simply does a higher volume of cardiac care, Grass said, and thats something patients are looking for.
Easton Hospital is and will remain an accredited Chest Pain Center with a fully integrated, 24/7 cardiac catheterization lab to provide first response care for patients experiencing symptoms of a heart attack, St. Lukes said in a July news post on its website. Open-heart surgery for patients who transfer will be performed at St. Lukes University Hospital in Fountain Hill.
Beginning in 2020, Easton Hospital will send St. Lukes its patients in need of electrophysiology to diagnose heart issues.
Also next year, Easton Hospital plans to evaluate its obstetrics/gynecological services, including its maternity unit, Grass said. Nothing has been decided, and babies will continue to be born at Easton Hospital for the foreseeable future, Steward Health Care spokeswoman Trish Hrina said.
As it narrows its focus, Eastons goal is to remain a strong community hospital while expanding its base of primary care physicians, recruiting new care providers to fill gaps in service and coverage and working to become the regional emergency department of choice, Grass said. Toward that last goal, the hospital this month introduced its new chief of emergency medicine, Dr. Joseph Faccio, who is familiar with the area as a former Easton firefighter.
Steve Novak | For lehighvalleylive.com
Easton Hospital at 250 S. 21st St. in Wilson Borough is seen in April 2019.
Easton Hospital is also focused on burnishing its image and reputation, while expanding niche surgical programs.
In one so-called niche surgical area, Easton has become one of the area's busiest centers for bariatric surgery, handling around 600 in its operating room this year, Grass said. And it's a "leading performer" in digestive health procedures, she said.
The hospital also invested $1.9 million in a Da Vinci robot used in surgery for all types of hernias, hysterectomies, gallbladder removal, bowel resections and bariatric gastric sleeves.
On the public relations front, Easton Hospital was involved in over 100 community events this year, according to physician liaison and 31-year Easton Hospital employee Janine Santee. That includes maintaining a weekly presence at the Easton Farmers Market, sponsoring PA Bacon Fest and going out to local businesses to offer biometric screenings like lab work, blood pressure checks and BMI evaluations, Santee recounted at this months trustees meeting.
The hospital will also continue to support the State Theatre and Easton Public Market, according to Grass.
Kurt Bresswein may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @KurtBresswein and Facebook. Find lehighvalleylive.com on Facebook.
- Multicenter Study Evaluates Trend Accuracy of Noninvasive, Continuous Masimo SpHb and Two Invasive Hemoglobin Testing Methods - BioSpace - December 10th, 2019
- Medical society honors Mercy Health - Springfield for its patient care - Springfield News Sun - December 10th, 2019
- Cardiac Surgery Instruments Market Demand and Growth Analysis with Forecast up to 2022 - Techi Labs - December 10th, 2019
- Dexur & researchers from top institutions such as Harvard Medical School collaborate to publish several research papers based on Real World... - December 10th, 2019
- 3D printer could change the way children's heart surgery is performed in Southampton - Daily Echo - December 10th, 2019
- December 2019 Global Surgical Kits Market Demand and Analysis of Key Players, Opportunities and Future Scope Till 2026 - The Chicago Sentinel - December 10th, 2019
- Troubled Childrens Hospital Is Sued Over Toddler Who Died After Surgery - The New York Times - December 7th, 2019
- Duke performs America's first adult heart donation after circulatory death - The Daily Briefing - December 7th, 2019
- CytoSorbents to Present at the Piper Jaffray 31st Annual Healthcare Conference - PRNewswire - December 7th, 2019
- Families reeling after FDA rejects therapy for kids without a thymus - STAT - December 7th, 2019
- Call for hospitals to offer suitable patients a 'minimally invasive' alternative to open heart surgery - Independent.ie - December 7th, 2019
- Cardiac Surgery Instruments Market Is Presumed To Grow At A Strong CAGR Of 6.3% By The End Of 2022 - Drnewsindustry - December 7th, 2019
- Raga therapy: Can music really cure mental and physical ailments? - The Sunday Guardian - December 7th, 2019
- 17-Year-Old With Heart Condition Receives Treatment After NDTV Report - NDTV News - December 7th, 2019
- Global Cardiac Surgical Devices Market : What Will Be The Future Growth Opportunities? - Health News Today - December 7th, 2019
- CARMAT Granted Authorization to Resume the PIVOTAL Study in Kazakhstan - Business Wire - December 2nd, 2019
- Opinion: ER Boarding Is A 'National Crisis' That Needs A Solution : Shots - Health News - NPR - December 2nd, 2019
- Ethiopian kids meet the Israelis who saved their lives - ISRAEL21c - December 2nd, 2019
- Im A Surgeon. Heres What Happened When I Held My Patients Hand And Prayed For Her. - HuffPost - December 2nd, 2019
- Hospital is slammed for care of people with life-threatening conditions - Daily Echo - December 2nd, 2019
- On the move at Free Arts, SVN, Jaburg Wilk, Sundt, PCH - AZ Big Media - December 2nd, 2019
- Larry King Reveals Why He Was In A Coma For Several Weeks Earlier This Year - The Inquisitr - December 2nd, 2019
- Save your heart: Advice from India's top heart surgeon - Stock Daily Dish - December 2nd, 2019
- Global Minimally Invasive Surgery Market Size, Share, Analysis, Applications, Growth Insight, Trends, Key Leaders, Services and 2024 Forecast - Downey... - December 2nd, 2019
- Suspended Animation: Can Cooling Our Bodies To Super Low Temperatures Save Us After Deadly Trauma And Blood Loss? - Forbes - November 28th, 2019
- Heart Surgeon unlawfully suspended from her job at St George's Hospital is reinstated by High Court Judge - London News Online - November 28th, 2019
- Chapel Hill surgery simulation startup KindHeart raises around $569000 in debt - WRAL Tech Wire - November 28th, 2019
- Nuffield Health reaches halfway point in its new build - ITIJ - November 28th, 2019
- Global Cardiac Surgery Devices Market Research: Key Companies Profile with Sales, Revenue, Price and Competitive Situation Analysis - Market Research... - November 28th, 2019
- Cardiac Surgery Devices Market to Witness CAGR of 3.7% Rise in Value Share During the Period 2017 2027 - Statsflash - November 28th, 2019
- Latest R&D and Technological Developments in Heart Valve Replacement - Specialty Medical Dialogues - November 28th, 2019
- Market Insights of Cardiac Surgery Instruments Market by Top Key Players, Size, Drivers & Market Dynamics Forces 2024 - M Herald 24 - November 28th, 2019
- Extracellular Matrix (ECM) Patches Market Dynamic Demand and Drives with Forecast to 2028 - Crypto Journal - November 28th, 2019
- Minimally Invasive Surgery Market Growth Rate, Production Volume and Future Opportunities From 2019-2024 - Correspondent 24 - November 28th, 2019
- Highmark Health's VITAL Innovation Platform is testing the benefits of Moving Analytics' virtual cardiac rehabilitation program - PRNewswire - November 22nd, 2019
- Global Cardiac Surgery Devices Market 2019 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Industry News Time 24 - November 22nd, 2019
- Edited Transcript of SSH earnings conference call or presentation 5-Nov-19 2:00pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - November 22nd, 2019
- 2019 Top Doctors in the Philadelphia and Main Line Areas - Mainline Today - November 22nd, 2019
- Phoenix Children's Adds Top Surgeon to its Top-Ranked Heart Center Cardiology2.0 - Cardiology2.0 - November 22nd, 2019
- Appeal to help Wigan couple as their seriously ill baby daughter waits for open heart surgery - Wigan Today - November 22nd, 2019
- Six-year-old Auckland girl ticks snow off wish list as heart surgery awaits - Stuff.co.nz - November 22nd, 2019
- Ronald C. Hill, MD, a Cardiothoracic Surgeon Who is Retired From Practice - The Magazine Plus - November 22nd, 2019
- Global Cardiovascular Needle Market: What it got next? Find out with the latest research available at 'The Market Reports' - Market Research Base - November 22nd, 2019
- Oversupply of Congenital Heart Surgery Programs Slammed - MedPage Today - November 20th, 2019
- UTHealth expert successfully performs surgery on patient with heart problems - News-Medical.net - November 20th, 2019
- Phoenix Children's Adds Top Surgeon to its Top-Ranked Heart Center - PRNewswire - November 20th, 2019
- CARMAT granted authorization to resume the PIVOTAL study in the Czech Republic - Business Wire - November 20th, 2019
- Highmark Health's VITAL Innovation Platform is testing the benefits of Moving Analytics' virtual cardiac rehabilitation program - P&T Community - November 20th, 2019
- Over 60 New Safety Reports Filed With FDA for Maquet IABPs Turning Off During Use - Diagnostic and Interventional Cardiology - November 20th, 2019
- CytoSorbents to Present at the Three Part Advisors 2019 Southwest IDEAS Investor Conference - Yahoo Finance - November 20th, 2019
- What to Know About That Major Study on Stents and Heart Disease - Healthline - November 20th, 2019
- Analysis: With 7000 patients on waiting list Ethiopias Cardiac Center fights to stay open - addisstandard.com - November 20th, 2019
- Synthetic bear bile could improve effectiveness of human heart transplants - The New Economy - November 20th, 2019
- STAT3-miR-17/20 Signaling Axis Plays a Critical Role in Attenuating Myocardial Infarction Following Rapamycin Treatment in Diabetic Mice - DocWire... - November 20th, 2019
- Stents cant take the place of diet and exercise: What Indians should really take away from the ISCHEMIA... - Firstpost - November 20th, 2019
- Patients love easier heart valve replacement operation, but it's not for everyone - AZCentral.com - November 18th, 2019
- Were on the front line: the teens pushing for flavored e-cigarettes ban - The Guardian - November 18th, 2019
- Ramesh Hospitals Vijayawada Sets Guinness World Record for the Largest Gathering of Cardiac Surgery Patients at One Place - Business Wire India - November 18th, 2019
- The enemy called platelets - The News on Sunday - November 18th, 2019
- Stents, bypass surgery show no benefit in heart disease mortality rates among stable patients - Stanford Medical Center Report - November 16th, 2019
- ISCHEMIA Trial Finds No Evidence of Lower Cardiac Event Rates in Patients Treated with Heart Procedures, but Better Quality of Life - Cath Lab Digest - November 16th, 2019
- Global Cardiac Surgery Devices Market by Types, Applications, Countries, Companies and Forecasts to 2024 covered in a Latest Research - Editorials 360 - November 16th, 2019
- This Plastic Surgeon Believes Injectables Are the Future - The Cut - November 15th, 2019
- When it Comes to Frail Patients, There's No Such Thing as Low-Risk Surgery - HealthLeaders Media - November 15th, 2019
- Iraqi baby gets a second chance at life after heart surgery - The Hindu - November 15th, 2019
- Ramesh Hospitals Vijayawada sets Guinness World Record for the largest gathering of cardiac surgery patients at one place - ANI News - November 15th, 2019
- ACC, AHA push for legislation that would expand access to cardiac rehab programs - Cardiovascular Business - November 15th, 2019
- Midland man has much to be thankful for - Midland Daily News - November 15th, 2019
- November 2019, Global Minimally Invasive Surgery Market Segmented by Type, Application and Geography Growth, Trends, and Forecast (2019 2026) -... - November 15th, 2019
- Child genius, 9, to become world's youngest university graduate - New Straits Times - November 15th, 2019
- CHF Solutions Inc (NASDAQ:CHFS) Retains Services Of An Executive Search Firm To Realign Sales Force To Focus On Cardiac Surgery - Journal Transcript - November 15th, 2019
- King of Hearts | Research Horizons - Research Horizons - October 26th, 2019
- Atrial Fibrillation in Adults with Congenital Heart Disease Following Cardiac Surgery in a Single Center: Analysis of Incidence and Risk Factors -... - October 26th, 2019
- Ottawa-based treatment an unprecedented leap forward in addressing damage after heart attack - Ottawa Citizen - October 26th, 2019
- He has undergone 23 heart procedures. But that doesnt stop Old Colony freshman Brady Weglowski from playing the game he loves. - SouthCoastToday.com - October 26th, 2019
- Aarogyasri expanded to hospitals in Bengaluru, Chennai and Hyderabad - The Hindu - October 26th, 2019
- Ottawa-based treatment a leap forward in addressing heart failure - Edmonton Sun - October 26th, 2019
- Doctors, the more the better? | TNS - The News on Sunday - October 26th, 2019
- Cardiac Surgery Instruments Market 2017 2022 in-depth Analysis Globally by Top Leading Players: Delacroix-Chevalier, Cardinal Health Inc., CONMED... - October 26th, 2019
- FDA Affirms Snus as Harm Reduction. Does This Signal Hope for Vaping? - Filter - October 26th, 2019