Free IVF treatment on the NHS in Cambridgeshire has been scrapped - despite 82 per cent of survey respondents disagreeing with the move and thousands signing a petition opposing it.
Instead of getting the first cycle of IVF free through the NHS, hopeful parents will have to pay for each cycle, according to the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG).
The CCG decided to cut funding for specialist fertility treatment to save 700,000, helping ease its current financial concerns.
Cambridgeshire is now one of only five regions not to offer any NHS-funded speciality fertility treatment.
Infertility, which is categorised as a disease by the World Health Organisation, affects one in six people.
Berenice Smith, who underwent six unsuccessful IVF treatments, said it was incredibly disappointing that affordable fertility treatment came down to a 'postcode lottery'.
She said: "It is incredibly sad, incredibly sad that people [who want to conceive] have to make these appalling choices."
A previous online survey found that 82 per cent of people did not agree with the plans to cut funding.
A 2,278 signature petition opposing the proposals was also submitted by Stuart Tuckwood, a representative of UNISON Acute Hospitals.
Ms Smith said the overwhelming public support to keep the fertility treatment funding made the decision undemocratic.
She said: "It is not really very democratic in my opinion. No one should have to pay to have a child if they cant because at the end of the day infertility is an illness. Its not self-inflicted."
Ms Smith added that fertility treatment should be part of the NHS care package that taxpayers already fund.
She said that most people she has come across trying to conceive are incredibly healthy people and no strain to the healthcare system.
"Everyone that Ive spoken to are healthier than most people because they have tried everything that they can to have a child.
"Certainly when I went through it youre not overweight, you dont drink and you dont smoke. You go through all of these hoops to try and do something everyone else can, and then youve got the added stress now to find the money to do something like that."
NHS doctors will still provide IVF treatment in Cambridgeshire, but hopeful parents will have to pay for the treatment.
The CCG added that Cambridge IVF costs are less expensive than private clinics and all of the profits are put back into the NHS.
Stephen Harbottle, service lead and consultant embryologist at Cambridge IVF - which currently provides NHS IVF treatment in the region - said that they are still "fully committed" to working with those wishing to have a child in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
He said: While we fully understand the very difficult financial position the CCG is in, we know the decision will be met with worry by our patients in the Peterborough and Cambridgeshire area.
Our assurance to them is that Cambridge IVF, as the assisted conception service provided by Addenbrookes and the Rosie, will continue to provide coordinated fertility treatment and a well-established and recognised patient pathway."
Cambridge IVF staff have invited anyone with questions about IVF to drop into the clinic at Kefford House, Maris Lane, Trumpington, Cambridge, between 6pm and 8pm on Tuesday, September 12, 19 or 26. No appointment is necessary.
Read the rest here:
Free IVF on the NHS scrapped in Cambridgeshire - Cambridge News - Cambridge News
- Free IVF treatment scrapped in county where it all began - Times & Star - September 8th, 2017
- Free IVF treatment scrapped has been scrapped in the Cambridge ... - Express.co.uk - September 8th, 2017
- How does IVF work, how much does the fertility treatment cost and what is the success rate for in vitro fertilisation? - The Sun - September 8th, 2017
- Stormont deadlock blamed for fertility treatment delays - BBC News - September 8th, 2017
- IVF treatment set to be cut despite overwhelming opposition from Peterborough and Cambridgeshire residents - Peterborough Telegraph - September 8th, 2017
- IVF treatment demand shoots up by over 100% in Mumbai - Free Press Journal - August 25th, 2017
- Environmental factors to blame for modern male fertility crisis - Irish Examiner - August 25th, 2017
- Infertility - Let's Shift The Paradigm From Treatment To Prevention - HuffPost UK - August 25th, 2017
- How In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) Really Works - Allure Magazine - August 25th, 2017
- Scottish man has twins through IVF using 27-year-old sperm - iNews - August 21st, 2017
- 32864 Mumbaikars have sought IVF treatment between 2012 to 2016 - Mid-Day - August 21st, 2017
- 'IVF is the single most traumatic thing I have been through' - Cambridge News - August 20th, 2017
- Place a cap on IVF costs and the NHS could double the number of treatments - The Guardian - August 14th, 2017
- Swadlincote couple's anger at 'heartless' plans to cut IVF treatment ... - Burton Mail - August 14th, 2017
- It's twins! Third time lucky for cancer survivor Ryan and fiance Chris ... - The Sunday Post - August 14th, 2017
- Cornwall women losing out in IVF 'postcode lottery' | Cornwall Live - Cornwall Live - August 14th, 2017
- IVF treatment on the NHS restricted or halted by 13 areas in England to cut costs - The Independent - August 9th, 2017
- Family of woman who suffered nine miscarriages launch IVF crowdfunding - The Scotsman - August 9th, 2017
- Plymouth women losing out in IVF 'postcode lottery' - Plymouth Herald - August 9th, 2017
- Concern over lack of funding for IVF and sterilisation options in England - The Guardian - August 9th, 2017
- Couple wins free IVF treatment in contest featured on Netflix ... - KTNV Las Vegas - July 9th, 2017
- IVF treatment is Swadlincote couple's only hope of having a baby - Burton Mail - July 9th, 2017
- Computers beat scientists in choosing best embryos for IVF treatment - Sky News - July 9th, 2017
- Hatfield couple distraught after NHS IVF treatment is suspended - Times 24 - July 9th, 2017
- Mixed response to news that IVF treatment will be reduced and some medicines no longer prescribed in Worcestershire - Worcester News - July 9th, 2017
- IVF Clinic in India, IVF Cost in Delhi, Best IVF Treatment ... - November 17th, 2016
- New Jersey IVF Treatment | RSCNJ - November 17th, 2016
- IVF treatment - verywell.com - August 9th, 2016
- IVF CENTER | Test Tube Baby Surrogacy - June 8th, 2016
- IVF Center, IVF Treatment, Women's Hospital - April 2nd, 2016
- IVF treatment - In Vitro Fertilisation fertility treatment - March 31st, 2016
- IVF Treatment | IVF Australia - March 31st, 2016
- In vitro fertilisation (IVF) - BabyCentre - March 31st, 2016
- IVF Abroad - Affordable Alternative | Donor Egg IVF Czech ... - October 11th, 2015
- Infertility - Treatment - NHS Choices - October 9th, 2015
- IVF Israel Fertility Treatments with the Highest Success ... - September 25th, 2015
- Infertility Treatments. About Infertility Treatments | Patient - September 4th, 2015
- IVF treatment - London Women's Clinic - August 13th, 2015
- Fertility treatment: In vitro fertilization (IVF) | BabyCenter - August 2nd, 2015
- IVF Treatment, IVF Treatments, Ivf fertility treatment, in ... - July 13th, 2015
- Infertility Treatment in india - Video - April 30th, 2015
- ivf treatment for baby boy in mumbai - Video - April 30th, 2015
- IVF Treatment for NRI Patients - Video - April 28th, 2015
- Adisadvantage of ivf treatment, how long is a ivf treatment cycle, - Video - April 28th, 2015
- Surrogacy In India, Fertility Clinic, Ivf India, ivf treatment, ivf center, - Video - April 28th, 2015
- ivf treatment cost in mumbai, nashik - Video - April 28th, 2015
- Ivf Treatment in India at Affordable Price - Video - April 28th, 2015
- Infertility Treatment - Video - April 26th, 2015
- When to reach for IVF Treatment - Video - April 21st, 2015
- IVF Treatment by Vardaan Medical Center - Video - April 18th, 2015
- Low Cost IVF treatment By dr malpani - Video - April 13th, 2015
- CS Patient - Video - April 11th, 2015
- Dr Malpani superv video explaning Low Cost IVF treatment - Video - April 11th, 2015
- Planet Women - Video - April 11th, 2015
- Crowdfunding bid by Felixstowe couple to pay for IVF treatment - April 11th, 2015
- Global In-vitro Fertilization (IVF) Devices Market 2015-2019 with Cook Medical, Cooper Surgical, Irvine Scientific ... - April 8th, 2015
- Woman gives birth to IVF triplets three years apart in age - April 2nd, 2015
- Top Fertility Clinic in Cyprus Answers Key Questions on Egg Donation Process - March 31st, 2015
- Infertility Causes and its cure by IVF Treatment - Video - March 29th, 2015
- Additional Clinical Reports of OvaScience AUGMENT Fertility Treatment Show Improved Pregnancy Rates in Women with ... - March 29th, 2015
- VeriSeq PGS Clinical Applications: Francesco Fiorentino | Illumina Video - Video - March 27th, 2015
- OvaScience to Host Conference Call and Webcast Presentation with IVF Specialists to Review Early AUGMENT Fertility ... - March 25th, 2015
- New IVF technology at Gateshead hospital will help parents desperate for children - March 24th, 2015
- New, improved IVF arrives in region - March 24th, 2015
- Virginia Center for Reproductive Medicine Announces 2013 Results and Earns Distinction as One of the Top IVF Clinics ... - March 23rd, 2015
- Baby Joy IVF Centre India | Baby Joy IVF Corporate Video Delhi | IVF Treatment Centre India - Video - March 20th, 2015
- Celebrities Slam Dolce & Gabbana & Join Boycott After IVF Diss - March 20th, 2015
- LIV Fertility Center in Mexico Helping Patients with New IVF-FET Guarantee - March 19th, 2015
- Model Charlotte Holmes hits out at Dolce & Gabbana's 'synthetic' jibe - March 18th, 2015
- Dolce & Gabbana slam boycott campaign over IVF and adoption row as 'medieval' - March 18th, 2015
- In Vitro Fertilization treatment (IVF) Treatment: What is it? - Video - March 18th, 2015
- AUGMENT Fertility Treatment to be Highlighted at Society for Reproductive Investigation (SRI) Annual Meeting - March 18th, 2015
- Gabbana hits back at 'fascist' and 'ignorant' Elton John - March 18th, 2015
- Fertility Clinics Abroad Launches New Website for IVF Treatment Abroad - March 17th, 2015
- Wife 'conned lecturer with IVF baby using ex-boyfriend's sperm' - March 16th, 2015
- Katie Preston spent five years trying now has three children from IVF - March 14th, 2015
- 'Never give up' says 'miracle' mum-of-three denied IVF treatment - March 14th, 2015
- Meet the miracle triplets - born two years apart - March 13th, 2015
- Fourteen-fold increase in number of IVF babies born to lesbian couples - March 10th, 2015
- IVF test improves chances of implantation by pinpointing fertility window - March 10th, 2015