Image caption Della McGill and Ryan Cunningham say IVF offers them an opportunity to have a baby
A County Down couple have said the political deadlock at Stormont is delaying their chance of becoming parents.
Della McGill has suffered two ectopic pregnancies and said in vitro fertilisation offered her and and Ryan Cunningham the chance of having a baby.
Last month, the Belfast Health Trust announced a temporary halt on offering fertility treatment as part of a raft of cost-cutting proposals.
Access to the Regional Fertility Centre for an estimated 320 new patients would be deferred until next April, it said.
They would then join a waiting list that is already up to nine months long for certain treatments.
Ms McGill, 35, said she was "heartbroken" when she heard the news.
"The current political deadlock at Stormont has obviously contributed to all the other problems that we are facing, the uncertainty of our future and the possible postponement of potentially never having our family and we aren't getting any younger," she told BBC news NI.
"We've already been through a nightmare for two years. I have suffered two ectopic pregnancies and lost one fallopian tube.
"Our hearts are broken."
The NI executive collapsed in January, and the last round of power-sharing talks ended in stalemate in June.
The two biggest parties, the unionist DUP and republican Sinn Fin, blame each other for the lack of progress.
The couple argue that if the Northern Ireland Assembly was up and running with an Executive in place, the health service would operate more smoothly.
Ms McGill has been involved in compiling an online petition, which the couple hope to hand in as part of the consultation process on health savings.
Originally from Scotland, Ms McGill said that despite women there being entitled to three free IVF cycles, she would not consider moving back as Northern Ireland is her home.
Women in Northern Ireland are entitled to one fertility cycle paid for by the Health Service. In Wales, women are offered two cycles of IVF.
In England, the situation is more fragmented and IVF treatment has been restricted or halted in 13 areas since January.
Mr Cunningham said that while he understands budgets are tight across the UK, the other devolved nations at least have functioning governments in place.
"There was X amount of money promised for Northern Ireland that is just sitting there," he said.
"If the government was in place in Stormont that money could be used to help ease the pressure.
"If the money was in place perhaps the cuts to health and social care wouldn't be necessary."
Meanwhile, the Northern Ireland co-ordinator for Fertility Network UK described a meeting with Health Department representatives as "sad, but encouraging".
Sharon Davidson said targeting fertility services was a soft option.
"No one wants to see the vulnerable in society being hit in this way," she told BBC News NI.
"However, I am very optimistic that we have put all our points across, we have come out with a good fight to save the service being deferred by an additional five months."
Ms Davidson described targeting people who were desperately trying for a baby as "emotive".
She said her organisation had been inundated with calls from service users and professionals asking why the service has been cut.
Originally posted here:
Stormont deadlock blamed for fertility treatment delays - BBC News
- Free IVF treatment scrapped in county where it all began - Times & Star - September 8th, 2017
- Free IVF treatment scrapped has been scrapped in the Cambridge ... - Express.co.uk - September 8th, 2017
- How does IVF work, how much does the fertility treatment cost and what is the success rate for in vitro fertilisation? - The Sun - September 8th, 2017
- Free IVF on the NHS scrapped in Cambridgeshire - Cambridge News - Cambridge News - September 8th, 2017
- IVF treatment set to be cut despite overwhelming opposition from Peterborough and Cambridgeshire residents - Peterborough Telegraph - September 8th, 2017
- IVF treatment demand shoots up by over 100% in Mumbai - Free Press Journal - August 25th, 2017
- Environmental factors to blame for modern male fertility crisis - Irish Examiner - August 25th, 2017
- Infertility - Let's Shift The Paradigm From Treatment To Prevention - HuffPost UK - August 25th, 2017
- How In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) Really Works - Allure Magazine - August 25th, 2017
- Scottish man has twins through IVF using 27-year-old sperm - iNews - August 21st, 2017
- 32864 Mumbaikars have sought IVF treatment between 2012 to 2016 - Mid-Day - August 21st, 2017
- 'IVF is the single most traumatic thing I have been through' - Cambridge News - August 20th, 2017
- Place a cap on IVF costs and the NHS could double the number of treatments - The Guardian - August 14th, 2017
- Swadlincote couple's anger at 'heartless' plans to cut IVF treatment ... - Burton Mail - August 14th, 2017
- It's twins! Third time lucky for cancer survivor Ryan and fiance Chris ... - The Sunday Post - August 14th, 2017
- Cornwall women losing out in IVF 'postcode lottery' | Cornwall Live - Cornwall Live - August 14th, 2017
- IVF treatment on the NHS restricted or halted by 13 areas in England to cut costs - The Independent - August 9th, 2017
- Family of woman who suffered nine miscarriages launch IVF crowdfunding - The Scotsman - August 9th, 2017
- Plymouth women losing out in IVF 'postcode lottery' - Plymouth Herald - August 9th, 2017
- Concern over lack of funding for IVF and sterilisation options in England - The Guardian - August 9th, 2017
- Couple wins free IVF treatment in contest featured on Netflix ... - KTNV Las Vegas - July 9th, 2017
- IVF treatment is Swadlincote couple's only hope of having a baby - Burton Mail - July 9th, 2017
- Computers beat scientists in choosing best embryos for IVF treatment - Sky News - July 9th, 2017
- Hatfield couple distraught after NHS IVF treatment is suspended - Times 24 - July 9th, 2017
- Mixed response to news that IVF treatment will be reduced and some medicines no longer prescribed in Worcestershire - Worcester News - July 9th, 2017
- IVF Clinic in India, IVF Cost in Delhi, Best IVF Treatment ... - November 17th, 2016
- New Jersey IVF Treatment | RSCNJ - November 17th, 2016
- IVF treatment - verywell.com - August 9th, 2016
- IVF CENTER | Test Tube Baby Surrogacy - June 8th, 2016
- IVF Center, IVF Treatment, Women's Hospital - April 2nd, 2016
- IVF treatment - In Vitro Fertilisation fertility treatment - March 31st, 2016
- IVF Treatment | IVF Australia - March 31st, 2016
- In vitro fertilisation (IVF) - BabyCentre - March 31st, 2016
- IVF Abroad - Affordable Alternative | Donor Egg IVF Czech ... - October 11th, 2015
- Infertility - Treatment - NHS Choices - October 9th, 2015
- IVF Israel Fertility Treatments with the Highest Success ... - September 25th, 2015
- Infertility Treatments. About Infertility Treatments | Patient - September 4th, 2015
- IVF treatment - London Women's Clinic - August 13th, 2015
- Fertility treatment: In vitro fertilization (IVF) | BabyCenter - August 2nd, 2015
- IVF Treatment, IVF Treatments, Ivf fertility treatment, in ... - July 13th, 2015
- Infertility Treatment in india - Video - April 30th, 2015
- ivf treatment for baby boy in mumbai - Video - April 30th, 2015
- IVF Treatment for NRI Patients - Video - April 28th, 2015
- Adisadvantage of ivf treatment, how long is a ivf treatment cycle, - Video - April 28th, 2015
- Surrogacy In India, Fertility Clinic, Ivf India, ivf treatment, ivf center, - Video - April 28th, 2015
- ivf treatment cost in mumbai, nashik - Video - April 28th, 2015
- Ivf Treatment in India at Affordable Price - Video - April 28th, 2015
- Infertility Treatment - Video - April 26th, 2015
- When to reach for IVF Treatment - Video - April 21st, 2015
- IVF Treatment by Vardaan Medical Center - Video - April 18th, 2015
- Low Cost IVF treatment By dr malpani - Video - April 13th, 2015
- CS Patient - Video - April 11th, 2015
- Dr Malpani superv video explaning Low Cost IVF treatment - Video - April 11th, 2015
- Planet Women - Video - April 11th, 2015
- Crowdfunding bid by Felixstowe couple to pay for IVF treatment - April 11th, 2015
- Global In-vitro Fertilization (IVF) Devices Market 2015-2019 with Cook Medical, Cooper Surgical, Irvine Scientific ... - April 8th, 2015
- Woman gives birth to IVF triplets three years apart in age - April 2nd, 2015
- Top Fertility Clinic in Cyprus Answers Key Questions on Egg Donation Process - March 31st, 2015
- Infertility Causes and its cure by IVF Treatment - Video - March 29th, 2015
- Additional Clinical Reports of OvaScience AUGMENT Fertility Treatment Show Improved Pregnancy Rates in Women with ... - March 29th, 2015
- VeriSeq PGS Clinical Applications: Francesco Fiorentino | Illumina Video - Video - March 27th, 2015
- OvaScience to Host Conference Call and Webcast Presentation with IVF Specialists to Review Early AUGMENT Fertility ... - March 25th, 2015
- New IVF technology at Gateshead hospital will help parents desperate for children - March 24th, 2015
- New, improved IVF arrives in region - March 24th, 2015
- Virginia Center for Reproductive Medicine Announces 2013 Results and Earns Distinction as One of the Top IVF Clinics ... - March 23rd, 2015
- Baby Joy IVF Centre India | Baby Joy IVF Corporate Video Delhi | IVF Treatment Centre India - Video - March 20th, 2015
- Celebrities Slam Dolce & Gabbana & Join Boycott After IVF Diss - March 20th, 2015
- LIV Fertility Center in Mexico Helping Patients with New IVF-FET Guarantee - March 19th, 2015
- Model Charlotte Holmes hits out at Dolce & Gabbana's 'synthetic' jibe - March 18th, 2015
- Dolce & Gabbana slam boycott campaign over IVF and adoption row as 'medieval' - March 18th, 2015
- In Vitro Fertilization treatment (IVF) Treatment: What is it? - Video - March 18th, 2015
- AUGMENT Fertility Treatment to be Highlighted at Society for Reproductive Investigation (SRI) Annual Meeting - March 18th, 2015
- Gabbana hits back at 'fascist' and 'ignorant' Elton John - March 18th, 2015
- Fertility Clinics Abroad Launches New Website for IVF Treatment Abroad - March 17th, 2015
- Wife 'conned lecturer with IVF baby using ex-boyfriend's sperm' - March 16th, 2015
- Katie Preston spent five years trying now has three children from IVF - March 14th, 2015
- 'Never give up' says 'miracle' mum-of-three denied IVF treatment - March 14th, 2015
- Meet the miracle triplets - born two years apart - March 13th, 2015
- Fourteen-fold increase in number of IVF babies born to lesbian couples - March 10th, 2015
- IVF test improves chances of implantation by pinpointing fertility window - March 10th, 2015