New York CitysHospital for Special Surgery (HSS)is offering a trip to Long Island for young patients with disabilities including cerebral palsy (CP) to try adaptive surfing, a practice gaining attention for its therapeutic benefits.
The trip isorganized by the Adaptive Sports Academy atHSS and includes people with CP, patients who have had amputations, and others with physical challenges.
Activities like adaptive surfing have been shown to help pediatric patients build self-confidence and independence, and increase physical fitness and mobility.
The Adaptive Sports Academy gives our patients a chance to develop new skills and interests, and it promotes mobility and activity. It also reinforces therapy goals by engaging participants in a new activity and requiring them to use their bodies in a new way, Lisa Ipp, chief of pediatric medicine atHSS, said in apress release.
There is also an emotional component. Patients are so excited about what they can achieve, and parents are so thrilled to watch them. The outings have also cultivated connections between families who stay in contact long after the event ends, Ipp added.
The first trip is scheduled for Monday, Aug. 14, from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Long Beach, Long Island. Trained volunteers from Skudin Surf will accompany the young participants.
HSSworks with many volunteers from local and national adaptive sports organizations to support patients attending the academys initiatives.
Several participants attending the surfing excursion have CP. Most participants have dealt with numerous surgeries, and many use crutches or a walker to get around. One patient has a prosthetic leg, and some will need a wheelchair to get into the water.
But adaptive surfing has all of these challenges covered, like during previous trips when participants climbed a rock wall and skied down a slope.
Its a wonderful opportunity for the kids to socialize with other patients and accomplish things they didnt realize they could achieve, said Peyton Katz, pediatric patient and family care coordinator atHSS. Its also an incredible experience for parents who become aware of what their children are capable of.
The adaptive surfing program is free for participants and supported by the academys sponsors. After the surfing event, patients also can try horseback riding.
Another trip is scheduled in Mount Kisco, New York, at the end of August.
Some kids are not sure at first how well theyll do, but they always exceed their own expectations, Peyton said. Some parents cry when they see what their child can accomplish.
- Poet With Cerebral Palsy Speaks To Early Eugenics Movement - NPR - NPR - August 15th, 2017
- Young girl with cerebral palsy has mode of transportation stolen ... - BarrieToday - August 15th, 2017
- Tips for Being an Excellent Teacher to Students With Disabilities - Cerebral Palsy News Today - August 15th, 2017
- Eight-year-old Elvis Presley fan with cerebral palsy enjoys 'absolutely fantastic' holiday to home of his hero - Lancashire Telegraph - August 15th, 2017
- Tim Tebow joins fan with cerebral palsy as she sings 'God Bless America' - Fox News - August 15th, 2017
- Little boy with Cerebral Palsy appeals for help for 100000 operation to get 'new legs' - ITV News - August 12th, 2017
- Mother of cerebral palsy child establishes Inclusive Educational Centre - Ghana News Agency - August 12th, 2017
- Battling cerebral palsy, Boyd finds his drive at the gym (VIDEO) - Sentinel & Enterprise - August 11th, 2017
- Kyle Miller: Golfer with cerebral palsy plays PGA Tour-sanctioned event - CNN - August 11th, 2017
- Calgary's Kyle Miller makes history as first golfer with cerebral palsy ... - CBC.ca - August 11th, 2017
- Charity that supports Glaswegians with cerebral palsy awarded over 11000 - Glasgow Live - August 11th, 2017
- The amazing story of Kyle Miller overcoming cerebral palsy to play ... - GolfDigest.com - August 10th, 2017
- Report: Inmate accused of punching man with cerebral palsy claims ... - PhillyVoice.com - August 10th, 2017
- Genetic Alterations May Cause Hemiplegic CP While Fetus Is Developing, Study Reports - Cerebral Palsy News Today - August 9th, 2017
- Cerebral palsy won't keep 7-year-old from riding in the rodeo ... - Billings Gazette - August 9th, 2017
- Researchers call on province to fund genetic testing for cerebral ... - Toronto Star - August 9th, 2017
- United Cerebral Palsy's annual 'Wing Ding' coming Thursday - STLtoday.com - August 9th, 2017
- Teen organizes 5K for cousin with cerebral palsy - WNEM Saginaw - August 7th, 2017
- Blind man with cerebral palsy sues Keys resort over ADA claim ... - Miami Herald - August 6th, 2017
- Woman With Cerebral Palsy Overcomes Challenges To Run - CBS Miami - August 4th, 2017
- Sixers' Ben Simmons grants wish of young fan suffering from cerebral palsy - Philly.com - August 4th, 2017
- Vital cerebral palsy charity finds a new home in Chesterfield - Derbyshire Times - August 4th, 2017
- Why You Should Start Calling Yourself Disabled - Cerebral Palsy News Today - August 4th, 2017
- Inspirational girl with cerebral palsy defies her condition by scoring a goal in front of her ice hockey heroes - WalesOnline - August 2nd, 2017
- Cerebral palsy will not stop me from having a home and family - Daily Nation - August 2nd, 2017
- 'Boosie the Clown' overcomes cerebral palsy with YMCA ... - Washington Times - August 1st, 2017
- Robot-driven device improves crouch gait in children with cerebral palsy - Robohub - August 1st, 2017
- Ben Simmons responds to 76ers fan with cerebral palsy hoping to meet him - FOX 29 News Philadelphia - August 1st, 2017
- CerebralPalsy.org | Help, Resources for Children with CP - July 31st, 2017
- Caretaker will push friend with Cerebral Palsy, the entire way at Bix Road race - KWQC-TV6 - July 31st, 2017
- 'Boosie the Clown' overcomes cerebral palsy with YMCA - Charlotte Observer - July 31st, 2017
- Single mother whose son was born premature then diagnosed with cerebral palsy says more support groups needed in ... - South China Morning Post - July 31st, 2017
- Child Born With Cerebral Palsy Inspires Shrine Bowl Players | The ... - Wichita Eagle - July 31st, 2017
- Robotic Device Shows Promise For Kids With Cerebral Palsy ... - Disability Scoop - July 31st, 2017
- Calgary's Kyle Miller will make history as first golfer with cerebral palsy to compete in PGA Tour-sanctioned event - National Post - July 31st, 2017
- Robotic Device May Help Kids With Cerebral Palsy - WebMD - July 31st, 2017
- Cerebral palsy can't stop James taking on Munro mission (From East ... - East Lothian Courier - July 31st, 2017
- Number of Kids with CP Estimated to Increase 7.5% in England and Wales by 2020, Researchers Say - Cerebral Palsy News Today - July 12th, 2017
- Man with cerebral palsy gets new Habitat home in Killeen - Temple Daily Telegram - July 12th, 2017
- Remarkable cerebral palsy sufferer sings to sell out crowd at Everyman Theatre - Gloucestershire Live - July 12th, 2017
- Little boy with cerebral palsy gets a stroller so he can walk around - wreg.com - July 12th, 2017
- St. Paul-born comedian: 'If I didn't have cerebral palsy, I would just be a goofy white guy' - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - July 12th, 2017
- Youngster with cerebral palsy raises thousands at charity walk ... - Oxford Mail - July 12th, 2017
- 10 things you only know if your sibling has cerebral palsy - Metro - July 12th, 2017
- Cerebral Palsy and Transitioning into Adulthood - Cerebral Palsy News Today - July 12th, 2017
- Police looking for thief who stole walker from a teen with cerebral ... - WFAA - July 10th, 2017
- Motorcyclists escort body of man who died from cerebral palsy - WFMJ.com News weather sports for Youngstown ... - WFMJ - July 10th, 2017
- Athlete with cerebral palsy offers inspiration during visit - Niagara Gazette - July 10th, 2017
- Man With Cerebral Palsy Lands Dream Job - Good News Network - Good News Network - July 5th, 2017
- Video producer's cerebral palsy doesn't stop him from revealing beauty of life - Houston Chronicle - July 5th, 2017
- Local man with cerebral palsy says Walmart let him go because of ... - WRGT TV Fox 45 - July 5th, 2017
- What is cerebral palsy, what are the symptoms in babies and children, what are the causes and types? - The Sun - July 5th, 2017
- Delhi kid with cerebral palsy inspires Iron Man-like suit for disabled - Hindustan Times - July 5th, 2017
- Cerebral palsy | Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center ... - July 1st, 2017
- Man With Cerebral Palsy Gets Dream Job At Jupiter Ballpark - NBC 6 South Florida - July 1st, 2017
- Newlyweds with cerebral palsy hope to inspire others through their love - Turn to 10 - July 1st, 2017
- Man with cerebral palsy gets dream job at Roger Dean Stadium - WPEC - July 1st, 2017
- United Cerebral Palsy Expected To Take Over WTBR Management - iBerkshires.com - July 1st, 2017
- UT student raising money to help friend with cerebral palsy communicate - WBIR-TV - July 1st, 2017
- Woman uses her experience with cerebral palsy to help others ... - WRAL.com - June 27th, 2017
- Guitarist Brandon Mendenhall Doesn't Let Cerebral Palsy Stop Him From Rocking Out - L.A. Weekly - June 27th, 2017
- Friends play 100 holes for golf to help a child with cerebral palsy ... - fox2now.com - June 27th, 2017
- BC team breaks unofficial world record for half marathon pushing a wheelchair - CTV News - June 25th, 2017
- Maple Ridge boy with cerebral palsy will take part in 5 kilometer run ... - Maple Ridge News - June 25th, 2017
- Community rallies for disabled boy Charlie Gordon-Stables - Newshub - June 24th, 2017
- Woman with cerebral palsy pleads with council to find her a home - Irish Times - June 24th, 2017
- Evanston senior-to-be with cerebral palsy perseveres in pool, on track - Chicago Tribune - June 22nd, 2017
- Henry Viscardi student calls cerebral palsy 'biggest blessing' - Newsday - June 22nd, 2017
- Cerebral Palsy - What Do We Know About the Causes? - Lexology (registration) - June 22nd, 2017
- A Night in the Tropics to benefit Kelly B. Todd - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - June 19th, 2017
- Cerebral Palsy Didn't Stop This College Junior. Obamacare Repeal Might. - HuffPost - June 17th, 2017
- Toddler with cerebral palsy takes first steps wearing 'magic shoes' - 9news.com.au - June 17th, 2017
- Spectrum Health shares information and education about Cerebral Palsy - WOODTV.com - June 16th, 2017
- YouTube game reviewer with cerebral palsy gifted $63k for new wheelchair - Newshub - June 16th, 2017
- Girl overcomes weakness causedby Cerebral Palsy - MyDaytonDailyNews - June 14th, 2017
- Maharashtra Class 10 results: Teen with cerebral palsy scores 88%, completes tough 'yatra' after exams - Hindustan Times - June 14th, 2017
- The SFA have killed our World Cup dreams says heartbroken cerebral palsy captain - Scottish Daily Record - June 14th, 2017
- Teen from Baltimore with cerebral palsy finishes Ironman Boulder, pushed and pulled by wingman David Slomkowski - The Denver Post - June 13th, 2017
- Supporters walk, run and roll to raise awareness for Cerebral Palsy - wivb.com - June 13th, 2017
- Star quarterback, graduate with cerebral palsy forge bond - Washington Times - June 10th, 2017