New York CitysHospital for Special Surgery (HSS)is offering a trip to Long Island for young patients with disabilities including cerebral palsy (CP) to try adaptive surfing, a practice gaining attention for its therapeutic benefits.
The trip isorganized by the Adaptive Sports Academy atHSS and includes people with CP, patients who have had amputations, and others with physical challenges.
Activities like adaptive surfing have been shown to help pediatric patients build self-confidence and independence, and increase physical fitness and mobility.
The Adaptive Sports Academy gives our patients a chance to develop new skills and interests, and it promotes mobility and activity. It also reinforces therapy goals by engaging participants in a new activity and requiring them to use their bodies in a new way, Lisa Ipp, chief of pediatric medicine atHSS, said in apress release.
There is also an emotional component. Patients are so excited about what they can achieve, and parents are so thrilled to watch them. The outings have also cultivated connections between families who stay in contact long after the event ends, Ipp added.
The first trip is scheduled for Monday, Aug. 14, from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Long Beach, Long Island. Trained volunteers from Skudin Surf will accompany the young participants.
HSSworks with many volunteers from local and national adaptive sports organizations to support patients attending the academys initiatives.
Several participants attending the surfing excursion have CP. Most participants have dealt with numerous surgeries, and many use crutches or a walker to get around. One patient has a prosthetic leg, and some will need a wheelchair to get into the water.
But adaptive surfing has all of these challenges covered, like during previous trips when participants climbed a rock wall and skied down a slope.
Its a wonderful opportunity for the kids to socialize with other patients and accomplish things they didnt realize they could achieve, said Peyton Katz, pediatric patient and family care coordinator atHSS. Its also an incredible experience for parents who become aware of what their children are capable of.
The adaptive surfing program is free for participants and supported by the academys sponsors. After the surfing event, patients also can try horseback riding.
Another trip is scheduled in Mount Kisco, New York, at the end of August.
Some kids are not sure at first how well theyll do, but they always exceed their own expectations, Peyton said. Some parents cry when they see what their child can accomplish.
- Cerebral Palsy - July 23rd, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy Guidance | CP Answers and Assistance - July 23rd, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy: Hope Through Research | National Institute ... - July 23rd, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy Cerebral Palsy in Children - Symptoms ... - July 23rd, 2018
- Cerebral palsy | Disability charity Scope UK - July 23rd, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy Types - July 23rd, 2018
- Cerebral palsy - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - July 23rd, 2018
- Cerebral palsy | Disability charity Scope UK - July 16th, 2018
- Cerebral palsy - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - July 15th, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy - KidsHealth - July 12th, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy - Learn Causes, Diagnosis and Treatment - July 12th, 2018
- Girl, 4, with cerebral palsy takes first steps in ... - July 8th, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy Canada - July 7th, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy | Birth Injury Guide - July 7th, 2018
- Spastic cerebral palsy - Wikipedia - June 23rd, 2018
- 10 Symptoms of Cerebral Palsy - Muscle Tone - May 31st, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy - Everything You Need To Know in 2018 - May 31st, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy: Practice Essentials, Background, Anatomy - May 31st, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy | Children's Hospital of Philadelphia - May 31st, 2018
- Yemeni girl with cerebral palsy heads to U.S. despite ... - May 31st, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy - CHASA - May 31st, 2018
- CerebralPalsy.org | Help, Resources for Children with CP - May 21st, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy Information Page | National Institute of ... - March 9th, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy-Topic Overview - WebMD - March 6th, 2018
- Cerebral palsy | Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center ... - February 14th, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy Associations of New York State - February 14th, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy Society of New Zealand : Cerebral Palsy ... - February 12th, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy | Cleveland Clinic - February 9th, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy - OrthoInfo - AAOS - February 8th, 2018
- Cerebral Palsy - KidsHealth - the Web's most visited site ... - January 11th, 2018
- Cerebral palsy - NHS.UK - December 21st, 2017
- Cerebral Palsy - Kids Health - December 16th, 2017
- Cerebral Palsy (CP) Information & More | Cleveland Clinic - December 16th, 2017
- Cerebral Palsy Lawyer - Obtain a Free Cerebral Palsy Case ... - November 29th, 2017
- Cerebral palsy teen's bullock was as quiet as a lamb at Limerick Show - Limerick Leader - September 2nd, 2017
- Homestead's Bedwell overcomes cerebral palsy to continue soccer ... - WANE - September 2nd, 2017
- Cerebral palsy - Doctor NDTV - September 2nd, 2017
- Massena teen with cerebral palsy donates hair through 'Locks of Love' - North Country Now - August 27th, 2017
- Babytalk: Cerebral Palsy - ABC Local - August 27th, 2017
- 'I'm getting over hating myself': how to front a punk band with cerebral palsy - The Guardian - August 27th, 2017
- Robot suit helps children with cerebral palsy to walk better | New ... - New Scientist - August 25th, 2017
- Robotic Exoskeletons Show Promise As Tool to Help Kids with ... - Scientific American - August 25th, 2017
- Cerebral Palsy - ConsumerSafety.org - August 25th, 2017
- Robotic exoskeletons improve mobility for kids with cerebral palsy - Engadget - August 25th, 2017
- 'Magical' six-year-old with cerebral palsy defies doctors who said she'd never walk by completing triathlon - The Sun - August 25th, 2017
- Mum's plea for cerebral palsy assistance - Jewish Chronicle - August 25th, 2017
- Hospital to Take Young Patients with Cerebral Palsy and Other Conditions on Therapeutic Horseback Riding Trip - Newswise (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- Back-to-School Tips for Students Who Have CP, Other Disabilities - Cerebral Palsy News Today - August 23rd, 2017
- Joplin Kiwanians continue mission of support - Joplin Globe - August 23rd, 2017
- Research Points To Genetic Link To Cerebral Palsy - Disability Scoop - August 23rd, 2017
- International research group to explore underlying genetic causes of cerebral palsy - Gears Of Biz - August 23rd, 2017
- 13th annual Drop Zone lifts charity to new heights - Winnipeg Free Press - August 23rd, 2017
- We tried: Doing Steptember and raising money for the Cerebral Palsy Alliance - The Canberra Times - August 20th, 2017
- Their Voice: Creating art through accomodation - Daily Herald - August 20th, 2017
- Cerebral palsy doesn't stop 4-H'er from showing sheep - Agri News - August 19th, 2017
- Woman convicted in murder of 18-year-old with cerebral palsy gets lighter term - Tampabay.com (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- How to Make Physical Therapy Work for You - Cerebral Palsy News Today - August 18th, 2017
- United Cerebral Palsy Association of the North Country to get $124840 for 'exceeding quality standards and patient ... - North Country Now - August 18th, 2017
- What Adopting My Daughter with Cerebral Palsy Taught Me About Being Strong - Shape Magazine - August 18th, 2017
- Devon Berry, player with cerebral palsy, wants to walk on with TCU football - DieHards - August 17th, 2017
- Tim Tebow joins fan with cerebral palsy as she sings 'God Bless America' - Fox5NY - August 17th, 2017
- Insomnia and Sleep Apnea Can Lead to Premature Birth, Large-scale Study Shows - Cerebral Palsy News Today - August 17th, 2017
- Teen with cerebral palsy faces one last hurdle on difficult road to university - CBC.ca - August 17th, 2017
- Ride-on toy car stolen from girl who has cerebral palsy | CTV Barrie ... - CTV News - August 17th, 2017
- Poet With Cerebral Palsy Speaks To Early Eugenics Movement - NPR - NPR - August 15th, 2017
- Young girl with cerebral palsy has mode of transportation stolen ... - BarrieToday - August 15th, 2017
- Tips for Being an Excellent Teacher to Students With Disabilities - Cerebral Palsy News Today - August 15th, 2017
- Eight-year-old Elvis Presley fan with cerebral palsy enjoys 'absolutely fantastic' holiday to home of his hero - Lancashire Telegraph - August 15th, 2017
- Tim Tebow joins fan with cerebral palsy as she sings 'God Bless America' - Fox News - August 15th, 2017
- Little boy with Cerebral Palsy appeals for help for 100000 operation to get 'new legs' - ITV News - August 12th, 2017
- Mother of cerebral palsy child establishes Inclusive Educational Centre - Ghana News Agency - August 12th, 2017
- Battling cerebral palsy, Boyd finds his drive at the gym (VIDEO) - Sentinel & Enterprise - August 11th, 2017
- Kyle Miller: Golfer with cerebral palsy plays PGA Tour-sanctioned event - CNN - August 11th, 2017
- Calgary's Kyle Miller makes history as first golfer with cerebral palsy ... - CBC.ca - August 11th, 2017
- Charity that supports Glaswegians with cerebral palsy awarded over 11000 - Glasgow Live - August 11th, 2017
- The amazing story of Kyle Miller overcoming cerebral palsy to play ... - GolfDigest.com - August 10th, 2017
- Report: Inmate accused of punching man with cerebral palsy claims ... - PhillyVoice.com - August 10th, 2017
- Genetic Alterations May Cause Hemiplegic CP While Fetus Is Developing, Study Reports - Cerebral Palsy News Today - August 9th, 2017
- Cerebral palsy won't keep 7-year-old from riding in the rodeo ... - Billings Gazette - August 9th, 2017
- Researchers call on province to fund genetic testing for cerebral ... - Toronto Star - August 9th, 2017