Plant physiology encompasses the study of plant form and function. As plants evolved to life on land they were required to evolve methods to survive with the separation of CO2 and water. Plant physiology looks at the different parts of plants and how they work, either individually or collectively. It includes the study of such topics in plant biology as the structure and function of leaves, stems and roots, water and sugar conductivity, and the reproductive organs of plants.
Leaves are a vital organ of plants and grow in a range of shapes and sizes. They are the primary location of photosynthesis the process that uses the suns energy and carbon dioxide to produce sugars.
Stems perform many important functions that help plants grow, compete and survive across a huge range of environments. The structure of stems can be incredibly variables from species to species.
Plant roots evolved to solve the problem of nutrient and water absorption when plants moved from water to land millions of years ago. They are now a critical plant organfor the vast majority of plant species.
The xylem and phloem make up the vascular tissue in plants. Commonly known as sap the xylem and phloem transport water, sugars and other important substances between leaves, stems, and roots.
Enter your details to get access to our FREE 6-week introduction to biology email course.
Learn about animals, plants, evolution, the tree of life, ecology, cells, genetics, fields of biology and more.
Success! A confirmation email has been sent to the email address that you just provided. Check your emails and make sure you click the link to get started on our 6-week course.
See original here:
- Awards - esm-evbo2019.org - April 23rd, 2019
- pvb2019.org Plant Vascular Biology Conference 2019 - January 31st, 2019
- Vascular Biology - January 22nd, 2019
- Vascular Biology 2019 - NAVBO - December 20th, 2018
- Vascular Biology 2018 - NAVBO - December 19th, 2018
- Vascular Biology | Society for Vascular Surgery - November 30th, 2018
- Vascular Biology Chicago Medicine - November 30th, 2018
- PPARs and Their Emerging Role in Vascular Biology ... - November 26th, 2018
- 2019 Cerebral Vascular Biology Conference - cvent.com - November 21st, 2018
- Vascular Biology - NAVBO - November 20th, 2018
- Lower vascular plant | biology | Britannica.com - November 18th, 2018
- Vascular Biology | Pulmonary, Allergy, Sleep & Critical ... - November 16th, 2018
- esm-evbo2019.org - Menu - July 27th, 2018
- Biology 211: Taxonomy of Flowering Plants - June 7th, 2018
- 2019 Vascular Cell Biology Conference GRC - May 26th, 2018
- Vascular Discovery: From Genes to Medicine - May 7th, 2018
- Vascular Biology Conferences | Vascular Surgery ... - May 5th, 2018
- APVBO-Asia Pacific Vascular Biology Organization Conference - April 18th, 2018
- Vascular Cell and Molecular Biology | Center for Vascular Biology | Weill Cornell ... - April 13th, 2018