Interventional cardiology at UNC REX Healthcare treats your heart condition using minimally invasive techniques that speed your recovery. Your doctor inserts a cathetera thin, flexible tubeand tiny medical tools into a blood vessel in your wrist or groin area and threads them up to your heart to perform your procedure. In some cases, youll return home the same day.
Turn to UNC REX Healthcares skilled interventional cardiologists when you need one of these procedures.
During angioplasty and stenting, a doctor uses a catheter to guide a tiny balloon and stent (mesh tube) to a blockage in a coronary (heart) artery. When inflated, the balloon presses plaque tightly against the artery wall, letting blood flow more freely to the heart. The physician removes the balloon but leaves the stent in place to keep the artery open.
Doctors use this procedure to treat heart disease and stop heart attackspotentially saving your life. At UNC REX Hospital, all heart attack patients from April 2014 to March 2015 received treatment to open blocked blood vessels within 90 minutes of arrivalthe national standard.
For an atherectomy, a doctor threads a tiny medical tool up to a blockage in a coronary (heart) artery. The tool cuts up the plaque without harming the blood vessel, and the pieces of plaque are removed. Your doctor also may place a miniature device called a stent to keep the artery open.
The carotid arteries are the large blood vessels in the neck that carry blood to the brain. If the flow of blood through the carotid arteries is blocked suddenly, the result is a stroke. Carotid artery interventions are types of surgery that ensure that blood is able to freely flow to the brain.
When fat, cholesterol, calcium, and other substances in the blood start to build up along the inside wall of arteries, its called plaque. If enough plaque builds up in the carotid artery, the risk of a stroke increases. One of the most common causes of strokes is when a piece of plaque breaks off of the wall and travels to the brain. To minimize the risk of stroke (or to reduce the risk of another stroke in patients who have already had one), heart doctors often perform one of two types of surgery: a carotid artery surgery (or endarterectomy) or a carotid stenting.
When patients suffer from hardening of the arteries, or atherosclerosis, their arteries are partially blocked by a substance called plaque. When these blockages occur in the legs or arms, they are called peripheral artery disease. Peripheral vascular interventions remove the plaque and restore the flow of blood through the artery. These interventions are medical specialties that treat peripheral artery diseases without surgically opening the leg or arm. Instead, the doctor uses small tools and at least one catheter. A catheter is a thin tube that is inserted into a blood vessel through a small cut, usually in the leg or arm, and threaded to the site of disease. Once in place, it acts as a tunnel, enabling the doctor to efficiently guide the tools to where they are needed.
Structural and valvular heart care treats problems affecting your hearts physical structure. Interventional procedures include congenital heart defect correction, valvuloplasty, MitraClip for a leaky mitral valve, and the new WatchmanTM device that may reduce stroke risk if you have atrial fibrillation.
During pericardiocentesis, a doctor threads a catheter into the sac surrounding your heart to drain built-up fluid and relieve symptoms such as shortness of breath. Medical professionals then test the fluid for signs of infection, cancer or other problems.
Your procedure will take place in UNC REX Hospitals three-suite cardiac cath lab. Each suite includes high-definition monitors that show detailed, real-time images of your blood vessels, which means youll need fewer X-rays and get less radiation exposure.
After treatment, cardiac rehabilitation helps you safely regain strength and endurance and reduce your risk of future heart conditions.
Here is the original post:
- Interventional Cardiology Market 2019 to Flourish with an Impressive CAGR of XX% in the year 2024, Predicts Market Research Future According to... - October 17th, 2019
- Global Interventional Cardiology Market Report, Trends, CAGR Standing, Analysis and Forecasts (2019-2025) | Key Companies BIOTRONIK SE & Co.... - October 17th, 2019
- Global Interventional Cardiology Devices Market Study by Price, Type and Application, Statistical Forecast and Competitive Landscape Research upto... - October 17th, 2019
- Global Price, Sales and Revenue Analysis of Diagnostic Interventional Cardiology Devices Market by Regions, Manufacturers, Types and Applications -... - October 17th, 2019
- Surmodics Inc. (SRDX) and Its Competitors Comparing side by side. - MS Wkly - October 17th, 2019
- Diagnostic Interventional Cardiology Devices Market 2019| Global Forecast to 2026 with Key Players- B. Braun Medical, Boston Scientific, Cook Medical,... - September 28th, 2019
- Consulting Cardiologists Brings Exceptional Care to Heart of WH - Patch.com - September 28th, 2019
- World Heart Day 2019: Cardiovascular Disease Is The World's Biggest Killer And Claims More Than 17.5 Million Lives - Outlook India - September 28th, 2019
- Five Atlantic Health System Team Members Lauded by NJ American Heart Association for Life-Saving Measures - TAPinto.net - September 28th, 2019
- Tiara for Treatment of Mitral Regurgitation and Neovasc Reducer for Treatment of Refractory Angina to be Featured at TCT 2019 Conference - BioSpace - September 28th, 2019
- Study links childhood obesity with screen time - The Hindu - September 28th, 2019
- SHAREHOLDER ALERT: Pomerantz Law Firm Reminds Shareholders with Losses on their Investment in ABIOMED, Inc. of Class Action Lawsuit and Upcoming... - September 28th, 2019
- Robocath Successfully Carries Out Its First Robotic Coronary Angioplasties in Humans - TCTMD - September 26th, 2019
- From Ceiling Suspension to Eye-Tracking: Innovation Continues for Cath Lab Radiation Protection - TCTMD - September 26th, 2019
- Health Pro: Cardiologist takes pleasure in getting patients back on their feet - Florida Today - September 26th, 2019
- Lights, camera, action in Varnville - Bluffton Today - September 26th, 2019
- Meet the best cardiologists at King's Interactive Heart Health Morning - Gulf News - September 26th, 2019
- UMA's Complete Conference Management Hosts "Full Spectrum of Heart Failure Therapy: Optimizing Outcomes" - Yahoo Finance - September 26th, 2019
- Global Diagnostic Interventional Cardiology Instruments Market forecast by 2025 : Numerous tactics accepted by industry participants in a bid to... - September 26th, 2019
- Blue Sail Medical and Biosensors International enter the Structural Heart market with the acquisition of Switzerland based NVT AG. content= - PR... - September 26th, 2019
- Too tired? it can indicate heart failure - The New Indian Express - September 26th, 2019
- TherOx to Present on SuperSaturated Oxygen (SSO2) at TCT2019 Next Week - BioSpace - September 26th, 2019
- Tiara for Treatment of Mitral Regurgitation and Neovasc Reducer for Treatment of Refractory Angina to be Featured at TCT 2019 Conference - Canada... - September 26th, 2019
- Women and heart health: Heart attack signs and symptoms to know about - The Indian Express - September 26th, 2019
- Interventional Cardiology - montefiore.org - May 20th, 2019
- APSIC - Asian Pacific Society of Interventional Cardiology - May 13th, 2019
- Interventional Cardiology | AdventHealth Cardiovascular ... - May 11th, 2019
- Cardiology and Interventional Medicine | Veterinary ... - April 5th, 2019
- If You Are Referred to an Interventional Cardiologist - April 1st, 2019
- Interventional Cardiology | UCSF Cardiology - March 18th, 2019
- Interventional Cardiology | Piedmont Heart Institute ... - March 12th, 2019
- Interventional Cardiology | American Medical Association - February 22nd, 2019
- Interventional Cardiology | Saint Luke's Health System - February 22nd, 2019
- London & Milan - Cardiology Fellowships - February 22nd, 2019
- Interventional Cardiology - St. Mary's Hospital and Health ... - February 22nd, 2019
- Interventional Cardiology | Sutter Health - February 22nd, 2019
- Interventional Cardiologists in Austin, TX | Austin Heart - February 22nd, 2019
- Interventional Cardiology - University of Mississippi Medical ... - January 18th, 2019
- General & Interventional Cardiology - WakeMed - January 18th, 2019
- Interventional Cardiology - nationwidechildrens.org - January 18th, 2019
- Interventional Cardiology - Baylor Heart and Vascular Hospital - January 18th, 2019
- Interventional Cardiology Conferences & Meetings - December 25th, 2018
- Interventional Cardiology | St. Francis - December 21st, 2018
- Interventional Cardiologists near Secaucus, NJ - Healthgrades - December 21st, 2018
- Interventional cardiology - Wikipedia - December 13th, 2018
- Dr. Jaffar A Raza - Secaucus NJ, Interventional Cardiology - November 30th, 2018
- What are Invasive, Non-Invasive, and Interventional ... - November 27th, 2018
- Cardiac Catheterization | Interventional Cardiology in New ... - November 20th, 2018
- Interventional Cardiology - Montefiore Medical Center - November 10th, 2018
- Interventional Cardiologists near Brooklyn, NY - Healthgrades - November 10th, 2018
- Interventional Cardiology | Stanford Health Care - October 25th, 2018
- Interventional Cardiology Fellowship | Internal Medicine - October 25th, 2018
- Interventional Cardiology | Community Health Network - October 25th, 2018
- Interventional Cardiology | Ohio State Medical Center - October 25th, 2018
- Interventional Cardiology | ColumbiaDoctors - October 4th, 2018
- Interventional Cardiologist Jobs | Glassdoor - October 4th, 2018
- What are Invasive, Non-Invasive, and Interventional Cardiology? - October 4th, 2018
- Interventional Cardiology - Crozer-Keystone Health System - PA - October 4th, 2018
- Interventional Cardiology - Florida Medical Clinic - October 4th, 2018
- Interventional Cardiology | Heart Hospital of New Mexico - October 4th, 2018
- Cardiology and Interventional Cardiology | Texas Tech ... - October 4th, 2018
- Invasive & Interventional Cardiology Section | Cleveland Clinic - October 4th, 2018
- Interventional Cardiology | North Florida Regional Medical ... - October 4th, 2018
- Interventional Cardiology | Department of Medicine ... - October 4th, 2018
- Interventional Cardiology | Medical City Fort Worth - October 4th, 2018
- Interventional Cardiology Journal | Peer reviewed Journal - September 24th, 2018
- Interventional Cardiology Fellowship | Cardiovascular Fellowship - September 20th, 2018
- 1133 Questions: An Interventional Cardiology Board Review ... - September 20th, 2018
- Interventional > Cardiovascular Medicine | Internal Medicine ... - September 20th, 2018
- SCAI Interventional Cardiology Review: Morton J. Kern MD ... - August 18th, 2018
- Interventional Cardiology - Terumo Europe - August 12th, 2018
- Scottsdale Interventional Forum | Cardiology Conference ... - June 21st, 2018
- Interventional Cardiology Fellowship - Massachusetts ... - June 14th, 2018
- Interventional Cardiology | Knoxville Heart Group - June 6th, 2018
- ECU Interventional Cardiology Fellowship - May 26th, 2018
- Interventional Cardiology | Cardiology Associates of East ... - April 19th, 2018
- Dr. Eric Lo - Daytona Beach FL, Interventional Cardiology - April 18th, 2018
- Interventional Cardiology Fellowship - Massachusetts General Hospital ... - April 8th, 2018