Interventional cardiology at UNC REX Healthcare treats your heart condition using minimally invasive techniques that speed your recovery. Your doctor inserts a cathetera thin, flexible tubeand tiny medical tools into a blood vessel in your wrist or groin area and threads them up to your heart to perform your procedure. In some cases, youll return home the same day.
Turn to UNC REX Healthcares skilled interventional cardiologists when you need one of these procedures.
During angioplasty and stenting, a doctor uses a catheter to guide a tiny balloon and stent (mesh tube) to a blockage in a coronary (heart) artery. When inflated, the balloon presses plaque tightly against the artery wall, letting blood flow more freely to the heart. The physician removes the balloon but leaves the stent in place to keep the artery open.
Doctors use this procedure to treat heart disease and stop heart attackspotentially saving your life. At UNC REX Hospital, all heart attack patients from April 2014 to March 2015 received treatment to open blocked blood vessels within 90 minutes of arrivalthe national standard.
For an atherectomy, a doctor threads a tiny medical tool up to a blockage in a coronary (heart) artery. The tool cuts up the plaque without harming the blood vessel, and the pieces of plaque are removed. Your doctor also may place a miniature device called a stent to keep the artery open.
The carotid arteries are the large blood vessels in the neck that carry blood to the brain. If the flow of blood through the carotid arteries is blocked suddenly, the result is a stroke. Carotid artery interventions are types of surgery that ensure that blood is able to freely flow to the brain.
When fat, cholesterol, calcium, and other substances in the blood start to build up along the inside wall of arteries, its called plaque. If enough plaque builds up in the carotid artery, the risk of a stroke increases. One of the most common causes of strokes is when a piece of plaque breaks off of the wall and travels to the brain. To minimize the risk of stroke (or to reduce the risk of another stroke in patients who have already had one), heart doctors often perform one of two types of surgery: a carotid artery surgery (or endarterectomy) or a carotid stenting.
When patients suffer from hardening of the arteries, or atherosclerosis, their arteries are partially blocked by a substance called plaque. When these blockages occur in the legs or arms, they are called peripheral artery disease. Peripheral vascular interventions remove the plaque and restore the flow of blood through the artery. These interventions are medical specialties that treat peripheral artery diseases without surgically opening the leg or arm. Instead, the doctor uses small tools and at least one catheter. A catheter is a thin tube that is inserted into a blood vessel through a small cut, usually in the leg or arm, and threaded to the site of disease. Once in place, it acts as a tunnel, enabling the doctor to efficiently guide the tools to where they are needed.
Structural and valvular heart care treats problems affecting your hearts physical structure. Interventional procedures include congenital heart defect correction, valvuloplasty, MitraClip for a leaky mitral valve, and the new WatchmanTM device that may reduce stroke risk if you have atrial fibrillation.
During pericardiocentesis, a doctor threads a catheter into the sac surrounding your heart to drain built-up fluid and relieve symptoms such as shortness of breath. Medical professionals then test the fluid for signs of infection, cancer or other problems.
Your procedure will take place in UNC REX Hospitals three-suite cardiac cath lab. Each suite includes high-definition monitors that show detailed, real-time images of your blood vessels, which means youll need fewer X-rays and get less radiation exposure.
After treatment, cardiac rehabilitation helps you safely regain strength and endurance and reduce your risk of future heart conditions.
Here is the original post:
- Interventional Cardiology Devices Market is Projected at a CAGR of 2.9% from 2014 to 2022 - Jewish Life News - July 1st, 2020
- Guidewires Market Players Need to Develop Effective Interventions to Address Rising Prevalence of NCDs: FMI Study - PRNewswire - July 1st, 2020
- Interventional Cardiology Devices Are Gaining High Demand Globally With Increasing Healthcare Advancement - Day Web Chronicle - July 1st, 2020
- His heart beats for humanity - The New Indian Express - July 1st, 2020
- Covid-19 spurs collaboration in telehealth - MIT Technology Review - July 1st, 2020
- Ghanem, MD, joins ProHealth Care's heart and vascular care team - Greater Milwaukee Today - June 17th, 2020
- Current and Future Analysis of Interventional Cardiology Market Trends, Growth, Share and Forecast to 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 17th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Interventional Cardiology Devices Market To Experience Significant Growth During The Forecast Period 2020-2027 | By Top Key... - June 17th, 2020
- Pediatric Interventional Cardiology Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 17th, 2020
- Diagnostic Interventional Cardiology Instruments Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 -... - June 17th, 2020
- Interventional Cardiology and Peripheral Vascular Devices Market Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - Jewish... - June 17th, 2020
- Diagnostic and Interventional Cardiology Devices Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 -... - June 17th, 2020
- Trending News: Covid-19 impact on Cardiology Surgical & Interventional Cardiology Devices Market New Trends, Growth, Outlook, Overview,... - June 17th, 2020
- Research Report on Contrast Media Market Size & Share 2020 With Top Players and COVID-19 Analysis and Forcast Up to 2026 - Surfacing Magazine - June 17th, 2020
- Global Interventional Cardiology and Peripheral Vascular Devices Market Research (2015-2026): In-depth Assessment of the Growth and other Aspects -... - June 17th, 2020
- Puzzle Medical Devices Inc. announces the closing of a first financing round; provides update on its minimally invasive transcatheter heart pump -... - June 17th, 2020
- Interventional Cardiology | The Johns Hopkins Heart and ... - May 30th, 2020
- Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Ready To Use Interventional Cardiology Market Global Industry Analysis, size, share and Forecast 2019-2023 - 3rd Watch... - May 30th, 2020
- Interventional Cardiology Devices Market Analysis Report 2020 and Forecast to 2027 | Abbott, Terumo Medical Corporation, Boston Scientific... - May 30th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on World Interventional Cardiology Devices Market 2020 and Forecast Rreport Till 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 30th, 2020
- Interventional Cardiology & Peripheral Vascular Devices Market What Factors will drive the Interventional Cardiology & Peripheral Vascular... - May 30th, 2020
- Global Minimally Invasive Surgical Systems Market 2020 Future Analysis, Revenue and Forecast with COVID-19 After Effects - Cole of Duty - May 30th, 2020
- Contrast Media Injectors & Agents Market Global Innovations, Competitive Analysis, New Business Developments and Top Companies Global Forecast to... - May 30th, 2020
- SMT Announces Entry Into Structural Heart Segment With the Acquisition of Vascular Concepts - Devdiscourse - May 30th, 2020
- Interventional Cardiology and Peripheral Vascular Devices Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of... - May 16th, 2020
- STENTYS: Financial Information for the First Quarter Of 2020 - Business Wire - May 16th, 2020
- Interventional Cardiology Market Share Analysis and Research Report by 2025 - ZZReport - May 16th, 2020
- Diagnostic Interventional Cardiology Instruments Market Research Report, Growth Forecast 2025 - ZZReport - May 16th, 2020
- Doctors keep discovering new ways the coronavirus attacks the body - Boston.com - May 16th, 2020
- Obesity Is Top Underlying Condition for Severe COVID-19 - Heavy.com - May 16th, 2020
- Rapid Industrialization to Boost Diagnostic Interventional Cardiology Devices Market Growth by 2019-2025 - Science In Me - April 13th, 2020
- Doctors on the COVID-19 front lines are grappling with a new medical mystery - Considerable - April 13th, 2020
- COVID-19: What's the Impact on Junior Doctors? - Medscape - April 13th, 2020
- Balloon Catheter Market to Witness Steady Expansion During2016 2026 - Curious Desk - April 13th, 2020
- Global Diagnostic Interventional Cardiology Instruments Industry 2020 Market Research With Size, Growth, Manufacturers, Segments And 2026 Forecasts... - April 10th, 2020
- What UK Cardiologists Need to Know About COVID-19 - Medscape - March 22nd, 2020
- Iredell Health System, Piedmont HealthCare define elective surgeries that will temporarily cease - Statesville Record & Landmark - March 22nd, 2020
- Vascular Closure Devices Market Latest Trends and Business Outlook 2018 to 2026 - News Times - March 22nd, 2020
- Contrast Injector Market Size Current and Future Industry Trends, 2018 2026 - News Times - March 22nd, 2020
- Contrast Agents for Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Market Projected to Be Resilient During 2019-2025 - Feed Road - March 22nd, 2020
- Amalgamated Bank Increases Position in ABIOMED, Inc. (NASDAQ:ABMD) - Redmond Register - March 22nd, 2020
- UM Shore Regional Health cardiologist speaks to Easton Utilities - The Star Democrat - March 9th, 2020
- What kind of printer can the University of Iowa get for nearly $500,000? One that's 'an enormous breakthrough' - Des Moines Register - March 9th, 2020
- Fractional Flow Reserve (FFR) is an ideal tool for cardiologists to make the right decision: Dr Nils P Johns.. - ETHealthworld.com - March 9th, 2020
- Interventional Neurologists Converting to Transradial Access - Medscape - March 8th, 2020
- Interventional Cardiology Devices Market By Manufacturers, Types, Regions and Application and Forecast to 2026 by Globalmarketersbiz - Feed Road - March 8th, 2020
- Advanced tech neededto tackle heart problems - The Hindu - March 8th, 2020
- The heart of a hospital | Area News - Emporia Gazette - March 1st, 2020
- Breakthrough printer in use at University of Iowa - Dallas County News - March 1st, 2020
- The Best Food, Exercise and Lifestyle Tips to Prevent High Blood Pressure - LIVESTRONG.COM - March 1st, 2020
- When to Call the Cath Lab for Your Patients With Cancer - Medscape - February 26th, 2020
- Cardiac Dimensions' Carillon System shows favorable long-term survival rate in patients with functional mitral regurgitation - DOTmed HealthCare... - February 26th, 2020
- What to do if you're having a heart attack after calling 911 - msnNOW - February 26th, 2020
- Treating heart attacks with clot busters leads to better outcomes, U of A researchers find - Folio - University of Alberta - February 26th, 2020
- Global Interventional Cardiology Market: What it got next? Find out here. - Sound On Sound Fest - February 26th, 2020
- Trending 2020-2026: Interventional Cardiology Market Development and Forecast Report | Medtronic, Inc., Boston Scientific Corporation - Weekly Wall - February 26th, 2020
- Persistent mitral regurgitation after TAVR foreshadows disease in some - NewsDio - February 26th, 2020
- What to do if you're having a heart attack after calling 911 - Insider - INSIDER - February 24th, 2020
- Save your dates for Cardiac Surgery 2020 Congress in Edinburgh, Scotland. - PharmiWeb.com - February 24th, 2020
- Interventional Cardiology Market-Global Analysis By International Prestigious Players, Industry Demand and Trends by Forecast 2025 - Nyse Nasdaq Live - February 24th, 2020
- Global Diagnostic Interventional Cardiology Devices Market 2020 Growth Analysis, Industry Trends, Overview, Top Companies, Application, Development... - February 24th, 2020
- New minimally invasive heart procedure in St. George reduces risk of stroke - The Spectrum - February 24th, 2020
- Global Pediatric Interventional Cardiology Market Outlook, Strategies, Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Global Forecast To 2025 -... - February 24th, 2020
- Research report explores the Ready To Use Pediatric Interventional Cardiology Market for the forecast period, 2018 2027 - Jewish Life News - February 24th, 2020
- Interventional Radiology Products Market 2020: Global Industry Overview by Size, Trends, and Industry Segments Poised for Rapid Growth by 2027:... - February 24th, 2020
- Contrast Media&Contrast Agents Market Report 2026 Focuses On Top Companies, Research Methodology, Size, Consumption And Opportunities - Keep Reading - February 24th, 2020
- Northwell Receives to Open Four Cardiac Catheterization Labs Cardiology2.0 - Cardiology2.0 - February 24th, 2020
- Success of the TAVR technology has been tremendous because of its simplicity: Prof Alain Cribier - ETHealthworld.com - February 24th, 2020
- Interventional Radiology Imaging System Market Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Latest Innovation, Trends and Forecast 2019 2028 - Instant Tech News - February 24th, 2020
- Global Trends Interventional Cardiology Market 2020: Size, Segments And Revenue Growth Forecast Till 2026| Medtronic, Inc., Boston Scientific... - February 15th, 2020
- WARMC rocking the red to bring attention to Heart Month - Mohave Valley News - February 15th, 2020
- Sanford Health Will Break Ground on MN Heart Center - ConnectCRE - February 15th, 2020
- Global Interventional Cardiology Market Is Estimated To Expand At a Healthy CAGR in Upcoming year 2020-2026 - Jewish Life News - February 15th, 2020
- Interventional Cardiology Market Structure, Industry Inspection, and Forecast 2025 - Redhill Local Councillors - February 15th, 2020
- 53 fellows awarded certificates at a ceremony in NICVD - The Nation - February 15th, 2020
- Steerable Medical Devices Market Business Opportunity, Segmentation, Industry Overview and Forecast Till 2023 - Redhill Local Councillors - February 15th, 2020
- Boston Scientific Holds Workshops to Promote Innovation in Interventional Cardiology - Outlook India - February 12th, 2020
- Indian Meril valve costs half the price - The Hindu - February 12th, 2020
- Philips to assess outcomes of PCI procedures guided by integrated iFR and interventional X-ray images Cardiology2.0 - Cardiology2.0 - February 12th, 2020
- Ambulance Driver Drove 65 plus Km in 40 mins to save Patient having Massive Heart Attack - Mangalorean.com - February 12th, 2020