"Medical technology" covers a wide range of medical professions, but usually refers to medical laboratory technicians and technologists (also known as medical laboratory scientists). Medical technologists and laboratory technicians are healthcare practitioners who combine their love of science and helping people to assist physicians with the discovery and diagnosis of disease and infections.
Online medical laboratory technology degree programs are a great way to obtain a solid academic foundation before applying that knowledge in the field. One of the key benefits to online learning is the flexibility it provides. Since lectures and coursework are completed online, students can design a study schedule around any work or family commitments that they already have.
Online students are typically required to partake in clinical practicums at local hospitals or labs, providing them with valuable real world experience they can use in their future careers.
Medical laboratory technicians and medical technologists usually perform many of the same duties.
However, becoming a laboratory technologist generally requires that you have a bachelor's degree while laboratory technicians are usually required to have an associate degree or a postsecondary certificate.
Laboratory technicians collect samples and perform tests to see if there are any irregularities. These tests are typically ordered by a physician. The samples provided may include bodily fluids and tissue samples. However, some medical laboratory technician's responsibilities may extend beyond this scope. They also could be expected to do any of the following on the job:
A medical laboratory technician analyzes these samples, records their observations and informs the doctor of the test results. Laboratory technologists are typically given more responsibility than a technician and the job usually involves complex performance of tests and a greater level of judgment.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the majority of students who earn a degree in this field choose to work in a hospital or clinical lab setting. And, although a hospital setting can be the most common work environment, medical technologists and technicians also may find work in diagnostic laboratories, universities, or a private practice.
While most graduates with a medical laboratory technology degree choose to work in hospital lab environments, these degrees can lead to a number of different occupations in the medical field. The table below provides occupational information related to medical technology degrees.
Medical laboratory technician programs come in many forms at the undergraduate level, including certificate and degree routes.
Like traditional on-campus programs, online laboratory technician degree programs often require students to successfully complete a clinical practicum to graduate. These practicums are completed under the direct supervision of medical laboratory professionals at local hospitals, clinics, or labs. Students use this time to acquire the valuable hands-on knowledge necessary to become successful laboratory technicians. Additionally, students may meet valuable professional contacts who can help them find work after college.
Take a look at what you can expect to learn, typical coursework involved and what you can do after completing a particular education program.
Prospective students interested in a certificate program should exhibit an interest in the scientific process as well as health-related topics. At the certificate level, many lab programs are available in lab assisting or medical assisting and may help students to prepare to seek entry-level positions.
Prerequisite: High school diploma
Typical duration: Less than a year
Typical coursework: Courses in a medical laboratory assisting program may include:
A practicum, or some type of hands-on experience, may also be required of students to help them further gain skills and to piece together all of the new knowledge they have about working in a laboratory.
A student with a certificate may be able to work as a medical lab assistant or even a clinical lab assistant. In some cases, students may be able transfer credits from a certificate program into a degree program at the associate or bachelor's level.
Students enrolled in online clinical laboratory technician degree programs at the associate degree level can expect to gain the knowledge and technical skills needed to obtain entry-level employment as a laboratory technician.
Prerequisites: High school diploma
Typical duration: Two years
Typical coursework: While the curriculum can vary by degree level and institution, students enrolled in associate degree programs typically complete courses, such as:
Clinical experiences are also very important at the associate level of the medical technologist degree program. The number of hours necessary may vary by school or by state, but these experiences provide students with hands-on experiences working in a lab and gaining more knowledge about a laboratory environment and expectations.
Students who have an associate degree in medical laboratory technology may be able to become a medical laboratory technician, pathology research assistant, phlebotomist, quality control technician, or specimen processor. Students also can invest time trying out a job or they may continue on to a more extensive degree program, if they feel the discipline is a good fit.
At the bachelor's level most degree programs are for medical laboratory technologists. Students can receive a deep and diverse understanding of the science that is needed to understand what goes on in a medical laboratory. An interest in biology, chemistry, and genetics is helpful. Potential students should also enjoy performing scientific tests and experiments using lab equipment.
Prerequisites: High school diploma, associate degree in related field
Typical coursework: Medical technology students take classes in a variety of subjects, including biology, general chemistry, genetics, physics, biochemistry and organic chemistry. An online medical technology degree program may include courses, such as:
Electives: Bachelor's level online medical technology degree programs almost always require completion of general education classes and give students the opportunity to complete electives.
Clinical experiences are also part of a bachelor's degree program and these requirements may vary by state or by school. Students typically finish the clinical portion of their programs at area hospitals while working under the supervision of a professional medical technologist. A capstone project also may be required in the final year of school.
Medical laboratory technology degree programs may be used to prepare for a career as a lab technologist, a supervisor of medical technicians, a lab manager, or as a stepping stone to a graduate-level degree. Graduates of a clinical laboratory technician degree program might be able to find employment working in a lab specializing in:
Accreditation is a process in which an outside organization looks at programs offered by a school to determine whether they are high-level quality programs and satisfactorily prepare students for intended careers or occupations. If you plan to be a certified medical technologist, make sure you consider enrolling in an accredited school. There are different types of accreditation:
While certification may not always be necessary to get a job in the field of medical technology, many employers do require candidates to be certified. Certification shows employers that the candidate has been evaluated and known to possess the skills and knowledge essential to successfully perform the job. Certified candidates may enjoy higher pay or promotional opportunities.
After completing a degree program students may apply for certifications through the following organizations:
At least 11 states require medical technicians and technologists to be licensed before they begin their practice. These are California, Hawaii, Florida, New York, North Dakota, Tennessee, Louisiana, Nevada, West Virginia, Montana, Georgia. State laws can vary, but according to the American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science, licensures typically involve:
Students may want to pursue graduate-level work to further pursue a field they enjoy. This could include a master's degree program in a field like biomedical science, laboratory science or pathology or even a doctoral degree program in medical sciences.
Specific degree specializations can help students attain the specialized education necessary for certain career paths. This is particularly true at the graduate level. Here are a few of the most common specializations for medical technology degrees:
Students hoping to work in this field should enjoy working on scientific experiments and have an interest in health-related professions.
Source: 2016 Occupational Employment Statistics, Bureau of Labor Statistics, BLS.gov.
- Conservative UK government could be best for medtech - Medical Device Network - December 9th, 2019
- How a medical tech company partners with higher education to build career ladders - Brookings Institution - December 9th, 2019
- Bipartisan Bill Could Improve Breakthrough Device Availability for Medicare Patients - Medical Device and Diagnostics Industry - December 9th, 2019
- Business opportunities in China's healthcare sector | Reach Further - Reach Further - December 9th, 2019
- Medical Technology Market Expected to Deliver Dynamic Progression until 2028| GE Healthcare, Johnson & Johnson, Medtronic Inc. - Industry News... - December 9th, 2019
- Big Data in Healthcare Market 2019 by New Medical Technology, Segments and Key Companies Analysis -McKesson Corporation, Epic System Corporation,... - December 9th, 2019
- US stocks wont be a good bet in 2020. Heres where the growth will be - KTVI Fox 2 St. Louis - December 9th, 2019
- Why health care innovation can't happen without doctors' insights - American Medical Association - December 9th, 2019
- Valeritas Presents Positive h-Patch CBD Study Data as a Late-Breaking Presentation at the American Epilepsy Society 2019 Annual Meeting -... - December 9th, 2019
- KUKA Displays LBR Med Capabilities as a Developmental Platform for New Healthcare Applications at Healthcare Robotics Engineering Forum - Business... - December 9th, 2019
- Healthcare IT Market by Rising Trends, Medical Technology, Growth, Statistics and Key Compoanies Analysis- Cerner, Mckesson, Ge healthcare, Allscripts... - December 9th, 2019
- You know VR, AR, but what is spatial computing? - MedCity News - December 9th, 2019
- House bill would improve medicare patient access to breakthrough technologies - DOTmed HealthCare Business News - December 9th, 2019
- Sharp HealthCare Taps Medpricer to Bring Operational Transparency to its Supply Chain - PR Web - December 9th, 2019
- Global Prosthetic Heart Valves Market Forecasts to 2025: Technical Advancements and FDA Clearance to Drive Market Growth - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - December 9th, 2019
- Medical Advice From a Bot: The Unproven Promise of Babylon Health - Undark Magazine - December 9th, 2019
- Multicenter Study Evaluates Trend Accuracy of Noninvasive, Continuous Masimo SpHb and Two Invasive Hemoglobin Testing Methods - Business Wire - December 9th, 2019
- Floyd Medical Center Partners With Erlanger Health System To Offer Telemedicine Technology In Neurology And Stroke Care - The Chattanoogan - December 9th, 2019
- Inna Bergman on the Origins and Rise of Israel as a Medical Tourism Destination - Total Croatia News - December 9th, 2019
- UK Reaches Out to Israel For Health and Medical Technology Innovations - The Times of Israel - November 30th, 2019
- Medical technology exhibition kicks off in Pyongyang: KCNA - NK News - November 30th, 2019
- Telehealth medical technology continues to be used more in area hospitals - News8000.com - WKBT - November 30th, 2019
- Take two apps and call me in the morning - Medical Economics - November 30th, 2019
- BrainsWay Appoints Medical Technology Industry Leader Christopher R. von Jako, Ph.D., as President and Chief Executive Officer - GlobeNewswire - November 30th, 2019
- Tracking Emerging Technologies in the Medical Device Market: Infiniti's Latest Blog Explains Why This Is Vital for Medical Device Manufacturers -... - November 30th, 2019
- Genome Editing Services, World Markets to 2030: Focus on CRISPR - The Most Popular Genome Manipulation Technology Tool - PRNewswire - November 30th, 2019
- How Novoplast became one of the most innovative medium-sized companies in Germany - Medical Plastics News - November 30th, 2019
- MN woman who had 140 brain surgeries says watch saved her life - KARE11.com - November 30th, 2019
- Be Prepared for Accelerated Adoption of AI in Wearables - MedTech Intelligence - November 30th, 2019
- Global Smart Medical Devices Market, Forecast to 2024 - Insulin Pumps Expected to Witness the Highest CAGR Over the Forecast Period - P&T Community - November 30th, 2019
- Remote Patient Monitoring Brings Healthcare To Your Home - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- 'The AI will see you now.' How tech might alter the doctor-patient relationship - KUOW News and Information - November 30th, 2019
- Integration of Health Care with Technology, Looking through 2020s - Kalkine Media - November 30th, 2019
- Head to Head Analysis: Helius Medical Technologies (OTCMKTS:HSDT) and Soleno Therapeutics (OTCMKTS:SLNO) - Riverton Roll - November 30th, 2019
- Creative Planning Has $12.93 Million Stake in Medtronic PLC (NYSE:MDT) - Mitchell Messenger - November 30th, 2019
- Can you trust mHealth apps? Why transparency is a must - American Medical Association - November 18th, 2019
- Nisonic Demonstrates Automatic Measurements of Optic Nerve Sheath Diameter as a Marker for Increased Intracranial Pressure Using Transorbital... - November 18th, 2019
- How Is Nanotech Reshaping the Medical Technology Sector? - Medical Tech Outlook - November 18th, 2019
- David Crais of CMG Carealytics Invited to NASA Cross Industry Innovation Summit - Benzinga - November 18th, 2019
- Shadowless Lamps Market will be grow in the upcoming year with players Greetmed, Aeomed, Mindray, BenQ Medical Technology - Daily Market Insight - November 18th, 2019
- Global Oxygen Regulator Market Insights Report 2019-2025 : Precision Medical, Harris, Essex Industries, Acare Technology - Industry News Time 24 - November 18th, 2019
- Research Roundup: Peanut allergies, heart disease treatments and wearable technology - The Stanford Daily - November 18th, 2019
- Private health insurers accused of lying about costs to raise premiums - 7NEWS - November 18th, 2019
- Title Wearable technology in healthcare: What are the leading themes? - Medical Device Network - November 18th, 2019
- ITM and CIRC Sign Technology License Agreement for the Production and Distribution of Medical Radioisotopes in China - Business Wire - November 18th, 2019
- Freudenberg Medical Achieves Break-through in Measurement Technology for Silicone Tubes with Helix iMC - Business Wire - November 12th, 2019
- Bridging the gap: Using technology to maintain patient contact - Medical Economics - November 12th, 2019
- Want to know your mental health status? There's an app for that - CU Boulder Today - November 12th, 2019
- Gets Its Catalyst And Trades Up::Creative Medical Technology Holdings Inc, (OTC US:CELZ) - News Planets - November 12th, 2019
- The Russian Military Will Soon Assign Soldiers Based on Their "Genetic Passports" - The National Interest Online - November 12th, 2019
- Hospital Furnitures Market Strategic Insights 2019 with analysis of Leading players: Stryker, Bio Medical Solutions, GPC Medical, Chang Gung Medical... - November 12th, 2019
- Is Computer-Vision the New Ground-Breaking Technology in the... - Medical Tech Outlook - November 12th, 2019
- BD Submits Pre-Market Approval Supplement to FDA for BD Onclarity HPV Test with Extended Genotyping Capabilities - PRNewswire - November 12th, 2019
- Rumor Claims Olympus will Shut Down Its Camera Division Within a Year - PetaPixel - November 12th, 2019
- InVivo Therapeutics Announces Appointment of Robert Rosenthal to Board of Directors - OrthoSpineNews - November 12th, 2019
- Global Cardiology Information System (CIS) Market Key Players and Share by 2025| CREALIFE Medical Technology and others - Market News Reports - November 12th, 2019
- How to have the right sensor for your medical IoT job - Medical Design & Outsourcing - November 12th, 2019
- Synaptive Ventures To the Spinal Surgery Market with Modus V - Medical Tech Outlook - November 12th, 2019
- Why DuPont will be at both Medica and Compamed - Medical Plastics News - November 12th, 2019
- Insights from Cathy Burzik's 40 years in the healthcare industry - Medical Design & Outsourcing - November 10th, 2019
- New Stanford hospital to open one week from today - Scope - November 10th, 2019
- Community Bank of Raymore Takes Position in Stryker Co. (NYSE:SYK) - Polson News - November 10th, 2019
- Cannabis industry is drawing big-name investors in R.I. - The Providence Journal - November 10th, 2019
- Avita Medical share price on watch after being added to the ASX 200 - Yahoo Finance - November 10th, 2019
- Head to Head Survey: Apyx Medical (NASDAQ:APYX) and AdvanSource Biomaterials Corpration (NASDAQ:ASNB) - Riverton Roll - November 10th, 2019
- Why Medicine Needs a New Hippocratic Oathand What It Should Be - Singularity Hub - November 8th, 2019
- Global SMT Equipment Market 2019-2023: Progression in Self-Driven Cars, Growth in Medical Technology, Increasing Smart Home Spending, Budding... - November 8th, 2019
- How Is the Medical Industry Using Deep Learning? - Business.com - November 8th, 2019
- Latest trends in medical monitoring devices and wearable health technology - Business Insider India - November 8th, 2019
- American Headache Society Publishes Article Demonstrating the Promise of Remote Electrical Neuromodulation (REN) as First-Line Treatment for Acute... - November 8th, 2019
- Townsen Memorial Clinics Now Open in Houston and Humble - PR Web - November 8th, 2019
- Compamed 2019: Everything you need to know - Medical Plastics News - November 8th, 2019
- CannGoods bridging the gap between hemp growers and off-take customers with its new tech - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - November 8th, 2019
- Conformis Announces FDA Clearance and Full Commercial Launch of Next Generation Hip System at the 2019 AAHKS Conference - OrthoSpineNews - November 8th, 2019
- EMMAC Life Sciences expanding on its medical cannabis acquisitions in London, Portugal, and Spain - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - November 8th, 2019
- A snapshot of the global patent landscape in eight charts - IAM - November 8th, 2019
- Olympus Now the Exclusive Distributor of the RocaFlow Pump and Tubing Sets - The Reporter - November 5th, 2019
- Adam Ferrari Highlights the Treatments and Medical Technology for Spinal Injuries utilized by Next Steps of Chicago - PRUnderground - November 5th, 2019
- Axonics Responds to Patent Action by Medtronic - Business Wire - November 5th, 2019
- Four-Year Data From the IN.PACT Global Study Highlight Durable Performance and Safety of IN.PACT Admiral DCB - Vascular Disease Management - November 5th, 2019