CHOC is spearheading a countywide initiative to break the stigma surrounding pediatric mental illness and expand much-needed services.Half of children with symptoms of mental health disorders have conditions that cause significant impairment in daily life. In Orange County, 20 percent of youth reported needing help for mental health problems, while less than a third actually received that help.
Mental Health Inpatient Center
Designed for patients ages 3 to 17, it is the only center in Orange County that can accommodate children younger than 12. The 18-bed Center opened in April 2018. The majority of funding is from private sources.
ASPIRE Intensive Outpatient Program at CHOC Childrens
This intervention (four afternoons/evenings per week for eight weeks) is intended to prevent psychiatric hospitalization and re-admission in high school teens ages 13-18. CHOC opened the IOP in early 2018.
Mental health screenings in primary care settings and theJulia and George Argyros Emergency Department at CHOC Childrens Hospital
One-third of all visits to pediatricians are solely for psychological reasons. To support immediate assessment and intervention in primary care, CHOC is providing depression screenings in its own clinics and promoting embedded mental health care in pediatric practices. We also provide depression screenings in the CHOC emergency department.
Pediatric mental health training program
Started in early 2017, this three-year effort provides pediatric mental health training for pediatricians and other community health care providers, as well as school personnel and therapists. At the same time, CHOC is also working to build a workforce capable of treating children and teens at the highest risk of developing mental health problems those with serious or chronic physical health challenges.
CHOC co-occurring clinic
In its second year of operation, this unique, publicly-funded outpatient program treats children and teens who have mental health challenges in addition to serious or chronic physical illnesses or disabilities.
Mental health triage at the Julia and George Argyros Emergency Department at CHOC Childrens Hospital
Implemented in fall 2016 with public and private funds, the innovative family-based crisis intervention model helps families address mental health crises and is already reducing psychiatric hospitalizations (25 percent reduction) and time spent in the emergency department (17 percent reduction).
Expanded mental health screenings and access to care in CHOC specialty clinics
CHOC is working to increase access to mental health resources and treatment for children with chronic illnesses such as cystic fibrosis, epilepsy, eating disorders and diabetes. CHOC is also seeking support to assist patients in its new clinic for transgender and gender non-conforming youth.
Early childhood mental health initiative
This community partnership aims to reduce behavior-related expulsions from child care and preschool settings. Consultants will help providers address difficult behaviors, and help parents access care for young children who may exhibit early signs of a mental health condition. Partners include CHOC, Childrens Home Society, Orange County Department of Education, Orange County Health Care Agency, Children and Families Commission of Orange County, California State University, Fullerton, Comfort Connections Family Resource Center at Regional Center, Orange County Association for the Education of Young Children, and The Olin Group. Phase 1 begins in late spring 2018.
Faith community partnerships
Because families often seek help from pastors first, CHOC and faith community partners will provide basic pediatric mental health information and educational opportunities suitable for any congregation through a privately-funded project called LEAP of Faith.
Read the rest here:
- Mental Health | ADA - September 11th, 2019
- Health - lds.org - April 13th, 2019
- Mental Health | Healthy People 2020 - March 23rd, 2019
- Mental Disorders: MedlinePlus - March 23rd, 2019
- Home Page | Department of Mental Health - March 8th, 2019
- Mental illness - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - February 21st, 2019
- 50 Mental Health Quotes for Happiness and Success (2019) - February 12th, 2019
- Mental Health Hotline | 24 Hour Mental Health & Illness Helpline - February 12th, 2019
- MS Department of Mental Health - February 11th, 2019
- What is mental health - February 11th, 2019
- Mental Health Screening Tools | Screening 2 Supports - February 11th, 2019
- Mental Health | MS Department of Mental Health - February 11th, 2019
- Ten Things You Can Do for Your Mental Health | University ... - February 11th, 2019
- Promoting Childrens Mental Health - AAP.org - February 11th, 2019
- Mental Health Problem Symptoms, Causes and Effects - February 11th, 2019
- Mental Health: American Diabetes Association - February 11th, 2019
- Sleep and mental health - Harvard Health - February 11th, 2019
- Mental and Behavioral Health - AAP.org - February 11th, 2019
- Outpatient Mental Health Facilities programs City of ... - January 2nd, 2019
- Mental Health Care | Health.mil - January 1st, 2019
- Mental Health and Mental Disorders | Healthy People 2020 - January 1st, 2019
- New York State Office of Mental Health - December 27th, 2018
- What Is Mental Health? | MentalHealth.gov - December 27th, 2018
- Mental health - Wikipedia - December 27th, 2018
- WHO classifies 'gaming disorder' as mental health condition - CNN - December 26th, 2018
- Adult Mental Health - December 26th, 2018
- Volunteers of America's Mental Health Services | Volunteers ... - December 26th, 2018
- Mental Health CSG Justice Center - December 26th, 2018
- Mental Health | NCAA.org - The Official Site of the NCAA - December 26th, 2018
- Home - SAMHSA Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator - December 26th, 2018
- Mental disorder - Wikipedia - December 20th, 2018
- A Digital Home - Mental Health Partners - November 23rd, 2018
- Mental Health | Health & Wellness - November 23rd, 2018
- Mental Health UK - Working together for everyone's mental ... - November 23rd, 2018
- Adult Mental Health | Georgia Department of Behavioral ... - November 23rd, 2018
- Home - Henderson Behavioral Health - November 16th, 2018
- Care Manager - Tarrytown, NY | MHA - November 3rd, 2018
- Mental Health - Orange County, Florida - November 2nd, 2018
- Mental Health - Harvard Health - July 26th, 2018
- Mental Health UK :: Home - July 26th, 2018
- Mental Health : NPR - July 26th, 2018
- Mental Health | Youth.gov - July 26th, 2018
- Mental Health - June 23rd, 2018