Maintaining the best possible physical health has been a gospel ideal throughout the agesfrom the strict dietary laws of ancient Israel, with the example of Daniel and his associates, to the Word of Wisdom in this dispensation and the counsel of todays prophets and apostles. The physical body is a gift from God and should be properly cared for and respected. Mental health is also important and should not be overlooked, as it can affect us both physically and spiritually. We must do all we can to take care of both our bodies and our minds.
The Lord sets a high standard for us in telling us to consider our bodies a temple. ... [He] has established some basic standards for the governance of our physical bodies and mental health so that we may become more self-reliant and better prepared to progress personally, strengthen the family, and serve in the Church and community (see L. Tom Perry, The Tradition of a Balanced, Righteous Life, Liahona, Aug. 2011, 32).
The scriptures testify as to how important our physical bodies are to our eternal progress.
Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are (1Corinthians 3:1617) (L. Tom Perry, The Tradition of a Balanced, Righteous Life, 32).
Nutritious meals, regular exercise, and appropriate sleep are necessary for a strong body, just as consistent scripture study and prayer strengthen the mind and spirit (Thomas S. Monson, That We May Touch Heaven, Ensign, Nov. 1990, 46).
The condition of the physical body can affect the spirit. Thats why the Lord gave us the Word of Wisdom. He also said that we should retire to our beds early and arise early (see D&C 88:124), that we should not run faster than we have strength (see D&C 10:4), and that we should use moderation in all good things. Food can affect the mind, and deficiencies of certain elements in the body can promote mental depression. Rest and physical exercise are essential, and a walk in the fresh air can refresh the spirit. Wholesome recreation is part of our religion, and a change of pace is necessary, and even its anticipation can lift the spirit (Ezra Taft Benson, Do Not Despair, Ensign, Nov. 1974, 66).
The Lord has commanded members to take care of their minds and bodies. They should obey the Word of Wisdom, eat nutritious food, exercise regularly, control their weight, and get adequate sleep. They should shun substances or practices that abuse their bodies or minds and that could lead to addiction. They should practice good sanitation and hygiene and obtain adequate medical and dental care. They should also strive to cultivate good relationships with family members and others (Handbook 2: Administering the Church , 6.1.1).
- Mental Health | Healthy People 2020 - March 23rd, 2019
- Mental Disorders: MedlinePlus - March 23rd, 2019
- Home Page | Department of Mental Health - March 8th, 2019
- Mental illness - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - February 21st, 2019
- 50 Mental Health Quotes for Happiness and Success (2019) - February 12th, 2019
- Mental Health Hotline | 24 Hour Mental Health & Illness Helpline - February 12th, 2019
- MS Department of Mental Health - February 11th, 2019
- What is mental health - February 11th, 2019
- Mental Health Screening Tools | Screening 2 Supports - February 11th, 2019
- Mental Health | MS Department of Mental Health - February 11th, 2019
- Ten Things You Can Do for Your Mental Health | University ... - February 11th, 2019
- Promoting Childrens Mental Health - AAP.org - February 11th, 2019
- Mental Health Problem Symptoms, Causes and Effects - February 11th, 2019
- Mental Health: American Diabetes Association - February 11th, 2019
- Sleep and mental health - Harvard Health - February 11th, 2019
- Mental and Behavioral Health - AAP.org - February 11th, 2019
- Outpatient Mental Health Facilities programs City of ... - January 2nd, 2019
- Mental Health Care | Health.mil - January 1st, 2019
- Mental Health - CHOC Children's - January 1st, 2019
- Mental Health and Mental Disorders | Healthy People 2020 - January 1st, 2019
- New York State Office of Mental Health - December 27th, 2018
- What Is Mental Health? | MentalHealth.gov - December 27th, 2018
- Mental health - Wikipedia - December 27th, 2018
- WHO classifies 'gaming disorder' as mental health condition - CNN - December 26th, 2018
- Adult Mental Health - December 26th, 2018
- Volunteers of America's Mental Health Services | Volunteers ... - December 26th, 2018
- Mental Health CSG Justice Center - December 26th, 2018
- Mental Health | NCAA.org - The Official Site of the NCAA - December 26th, 2018
- Home - SAMHSA Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator - December 26th, 2018
- Mental disorder - Wikipedia - December 20th, 2018
- A Digital Home - Mental Health Partners - November 23rd, 2018
- Mental Health | Health & Wellness - November 23rd, 2018
- Mental Health UK - Working together for everyone's mental ... - November 23rd, 2018
- Adult Mental Health | Georgia Department of Behavioral ... - November 23rd, 2018
- Home - Henderson Behavioral Health - November 16th, 2018
- Care Manager - Tarrytown, NY | MHA - November 3rd, 2018
- Mental Health - Orange County, Florida - November 2nd, 2018
- Mental Health - Harvard Health - July 26th, 2018
- Mental Health UK :: Home - July 26th, 2018
- Mental Health : NPR - July 26th, 2018
- Mental Health | Youth.gov - July 26th, 2018
- Mental Health - June 23rd, 2018