NEW YORK (Reuters) - When Hartmut Braune comes to work in security communications at SAP, he never knows what emergency will land in his inbox.
FILE PHOTO: People walk at an office building at a business district in Tokyo, Japan, February 29, 2016. REUTERS/Yuya Shino/File Photo
It is a challenging job, compounded by the fact that Braune also coordinates the companys global Lighthouse Core Team, which provides peer assistance to struggling employees, as well as a shoulder to cry on.
Its the difficult part, but sometimes tears help clear the situation, said Braune, who is based in Germany.
Many companies offer employee assistance programs, mindfulness apps or in-office counseling. But experts say a culture shift toward openness, from the C-suite on down, is most effective. That translates to peer counseling, colleagues sharing their experiences and open dialogue.
Companies take a myriad of approaches to this challenge. At SAP, considered a thought leader on employee mental health, the company calls its system the Employee Care Cycle. That starts with prevention and destigmatization, said Torsten Paul, SAPs director digital health & well-being.
Indeed, Braune coached one woman who returned to work at SAP after a mental health leave, but had not been open with her manager and colleagues about why she took time off.
People have a tendency to hide what was happening they feel shame, Braune said.
Braune walked the woman through some tiny steps she could take, and eventually, she met with her manager. A week later, when Braune saw the woman, she was smiling.
Overall, depression causes an average of 40 days of absenteeism per sufferer at SAP, Torsten said. Serious cases might involve short- or long-term disability. But if a person returns to work and the same stress factors exist, they will just get sick again.
One key offering for employees is a two-day immersive mindfulness program, so popular it has a waiting list of 9,000. The company also shares video testimonials on its internal website from colleagues who have overcome challenges.
In addition, SAP encourages workers to do frequent self-assessments, and managers assess the organization itself.
At Microsoft, individuals at all levels share their own mental health experiences, in person, on social media and via podcasts.
We didnt ask, but it has happened that many of our leaders stepped up and started telling their stories, their personal struggles or ones theyve witnessed, said Sonja Kellen, senior director of global health and wellness at Microsoft. And it has naturally become pervasive in the culture.
One employee who shared her story was 25-year-old program manager Beth Anne Katz, who detailed her battles with depression on YouTube videos and a company website (here).
Being open about my suffering was the hardest thing Ive done, but I am not afraid of who I am anymore. Depression isnt something to be ashamed of, Katz tells her colleagues.
Last May, Microsoft hosted several movie screenings about anxiety and suicide, followed by conversations with the people who volunteered their stories. A counselor stood by.
Its been gratifying to see the sheer volume of people to speak up, said Kellen.
Cost savings are not the key driver, even though mental healthcare is a top spend, Kellen added, noting that mental health breaks are one of the top reasons people go on leave at Microsoft, beyond parental leave.
Of course, there are apps for helping culture change. Technology is particularly good at crunching data from employee self-assessments to help companies figure out what services they need.
London-based Unmind, for example, provides a workplace mental health platform, used by companies in 47 countries, including British Airways and Live Nation. Employers get data, such as how many people are stressed or feel ill because of stress, and information on how managers can help them be less stressed. Workers can access targeted educational material.
Many companies also turn to web-based mindfulness apps, one of which is Raw Mind Coach, and app-based therapy delivery like Talkspace. These are helpful to those without access to in-person counseling.
Consultants help companies develop a tailored strategy, such as Mind Share Partners, a non-profit consultancy, which recently published a report on mental health at work in partnership with SAP (here).
Were not a benefits provider. We see our trainings as whats needed to reduce stigma, said Kelly Greenwood, Mind Share Partners founder and CEO.
Ken Dolan-Del Vecchio, a workplace mental health consultant, preaches the following message to companies, urging them to take action on mental health: The health of employees is correlated positively to business outcome. It would be foolish to leave that to chance.
(This story corrects the name of Torsten Paul, which was transposed, in the 5th paragraph, )
Follow us @ReutersMoney or here Editing by Lauren Young and Dan Grebler
The rest is here:
- Veteran mental health key part of pledge signing - VAntage Point Blog - November 14th, 2019
- The Toll of Holding a Job While Coping With Mental Health Issues - Bloomberg - November 14th, 2019
- Grant Program Announced to Fund Mental-Health Awareness Training - NBC Southern California - November 14th, 2019
- How the VA is Using Customer Feedback to Support Veteran's Mental Health - VAntage Point Blog - November 14th, 2019
- Northern Rivers streamlines a fragmented mental health system - Times Union - November 14th, 2019
- The impact of mental health training in the workplace - Medical News Today - November 14th, 2019
- The Changing Landscape Of Masculinity And Mens Mental Health In The Workplace - Forbes - November 14th, 2019
- CU app could change the way mental illness is diagnosed - The Denver Channel - November 14th, 2019
- New inpatients banned at mental health unit rated unsafe - The Guardian - November 14th, 2019
- Mental Health Data Shows Significant Signs of Depression and Anxiety at Harvard | News - Harvard Crimson - November 14th, 2019
- First-ever Maryland Cares event focuses on student-athlete mental health - Testudo Times - November 14th, 2019
- A student's battle with mental health and an attempted suicide played a part in her disciplinary probation - Mustang News - November 14th, 2019
- American millennials' mental and physical health is on the decline and they're on track to die faster than Gen X, a new report says - Business... - November 14th, 2019
- Abuse and torture of mental health patients rife across Nigeria, says report - The Guardian - November 14th, 2019
- Sioux Citys Opportunities School, focusing on behavior and mental health - KCAU 9 - November 14th, 2019
- Penn moves mental health and wellness programs under the direction of the provost - The Philadelphia Inquirer - November 14th, 2019
- National parks estimated to save trillions in mental health costs - Cosmos - November 14th, 2019
- Amazon's 'Modern Love': Do's and Don'ts When Managing Mental Illness at Work - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 14th, 2019
- Students work to improve their mental health as UNC works to improve its resources - The Daily Tar Heel - November 14th, 2019
- Sex-reassignment surgery yields long-term mental health benefits, study finds - NBCNews.com - November 14th, 2019
- Feeling suicidal, she turned to her college. But it had just cut campus mental health services. - The Philadelphia Inquirer - November 14th, 2019
- Drivers' mental health getting more attention - Truck News - November 14th, 2019
- Veteran employment and mental health: Difficulties transitioning to civilian life - KOAT New Mexico - November 14th, 2019
- Hundreds of people with autism wrongly being detained in mental health units - Sky News - November 14th, 2019
- Kay Warren talks mental health at Houston Baptist University - TMC News - Texas Medical Center News - November 9th, 2019
- Maddinson Out of Pakistan Tour Game on Mental Health Grounds - The New York Times - November 9th, 2019
- Witnesses concerned about mental health of man struck by a vehicle - Fort Wayne's NBC - November 9th, 2019
- UArizona program focuses on veterans struggling with mental health - KGUN - November 9th, 2019
- Brooklyn's Mental Health Court celebrates one thousand graduates diverted from prison system - Brooklyn Daily Eagle - November 9th, 2019
- What Others Say: On female inmate's mental health - Index-Journal - November 9th, 2019
- Counseling Center working to spread awareness of mental health on campus - The Wood Word - November 9th, 2019
- United Healthcare fined $1 million by Pennsylvania for violations of mental-health law - The Philadelphia Inquirer - November 9th, 2019
- High anxiety: What's driving more teens to seek mental health care? - MinnPost - November 9th, 2019
- For farmers in a mental health crisis, it's often tough to seek help. A Colorado program aims to begin conversations. - The Colorado Sun - November 9th, 2019
- Mental Health and the Quest for Counseling - The Dartmouth - November 9th, 2019
- Family of man with mental health issues calls 911 for ambulance, but police arrive instead - WPLG Local 10 - November 9th, 2019
- Kaiser looks to avoid disruption as mental health workers prepare to strike - The Mercury News - November 9th, 2019
- Nonprofit Mental Health Provider Will End Clinic-Based Therapy Program, Affecting 450 Mainers - Maine Public - November 8th, 2019
- Facebook post mischaracterizes mental health coverage and gun access - PolitiFact - November 8th, 2019
- PNC-hosted panel examines children and mental health - University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News - November 8th, 2019
- Protecting Teens' Mental Health Is a Wise Investment - Kiplinger's Personal Finance - November 8th, 2019
- Empathy is good, but what if you care too much? Dr. Judith Orloff has advice for empaths - USA TODAY - November 8th, 2019
- How to Ease the Mental-Health Impacts of Disasters - CityLab - November 8th, 2019
- How to watch HEADSTRONG: Mental Health and Sports on TV - NBCSports.com - November 8th, 2019
- Wausau School District addresses safety and mental health - WSAW - November 8th, 2019
- Most people give up on using mental health apps within a few weeks - New Scientist - November 8th, 2019
- Lindsey Vonn talks mental health, retirement at Philly event: 'Im hurting every day - The Philadelphia Inquirer - November 8th, 2019
- Read All About It Slam Poetry Addressing Mental Health - The State Times - November 8th, 2019
- New Jersey Voters Approve Nearly $1 Million Tax Hike to Tackle Teen Mental Health Crisis - Newsweek - November 8th, 2019
- What's the holdup? UW mental health resources looking to restructure to better serve students - Dailyuw - November 8th, 2019
- Eating alone is bad for our mental healthand the planet - Quartz - November 8th, 2019
- Incorporating mental health care with cancer treatment - 6 On Your Side - November 8th, 2019
- Hundreds of mental health beds needed to end 'shameful' out-of-area care - The Guardian - November 8th, 2019
- Minister to address mental health services crisis in Tipperary on visit to Clonmel - TipperaryLive.ie - November 8th, 2019
- Students, alumni recount experiences with mental health at Rice - The Rice Thresher - November 8th, 2019
- Cannabinoids Not Justified as Mental Health Treatment, Study Says - Psych Congress Network - November 8th, 2019
- Smoking may increase risk of mental health problems study - The Guardian - November 8th, 2019
- What is it like to live in poverty and struggle with mental health? - British Journal of Photography - November 8th, 2019
- $150M donation from Huntsman family to help establish mental health institute at the U - KUTV 2News - November 8th, 2019
- Former therapist: VA is hurting mental health care for combat veterans at its Vet Centers - NBC News - November 8th, 2019
- Taking the Cops Out of Mental Health-Related 911 Calls - James Moore - October 26th, 2019
- After years of struggle, Ben Gordon has found his calm - NBCSports.com - October 26th, 2019
- Gov. Baker Hopes Proposed Health Care Bill Will Improve Access To Mental Health, Addiction Services - wgbh.org - October 26th, 2019
- Changing Your Mindset: Tips To Improve Your Mental Health And Increase Happiness - Above the Law - October 26th, 2019
- Mental health professionals joining SWATs crisis negotiation team - MLive.com - October 26th, 2019
- Nowhere left to go: Where to seek help for mental health and suicide - Dailyuw - October 26th, 2019
- State lawmakers urged to focus on mental health of first responders - WCJB - October 26th, 2019
- Sports Participation a Big Win for Kids' Mental Health - Medscape - October 17th, 2019
- Michigan mental-health counselors get final OK of bill that allows them to keep practicing - Detroit Free Press - October 17th, 2019
- SF Mayor Breed Announces Backing for Mental Health Plan to be on 2020 Ballot - NBC Bay Area - October 17th, 2019
- Brittany Snow Recalls the Aftermath of Sharing Mental Health Journey - E! NEWS - October 17th, 2019
- Focusing on prevention: Zak Williams talks about supes' mental health overhaul - Mission Local - October 17th, 2019
- Portland Police Are Still Shooting People Who Experience Mental Illnesses. Cristi Martin Wants Her Son To Be The Last. - OPB News - October 17th, 2019
- Mental Health Is A Leading Cause For Why People Are Quitting Their JobsHeres What You Need To Do Now - Forbes - October 17th, 2019
- Stop the Stigma on Mental Illness - FOX 2 Detroit - October 17th, 2019
- Battling on Front Lines of Mental Health in NJs Public Schools - NJ Spotlight - October 17th, 2019
- Up to 263 workers at mental health hospital wait to hear if they have a job - Palm Beach Post - October 17th, 2019
- Microsoft and SilverCloud collaboration to leverage AI for mental health - MedCity News - October 17th, 2019
- Cedar Rapids native sharing her mental health story, encourages others to open up - KCRG - October 17th, 2019
- Concerns over mental health days in school - WOKV - October 17th, 2019