An Indiana nonprofit created a video to show the shocking effects of opioids on the body. The group hopes the video will promote empathy. USA TODAY
There's a cost to caring too much.
Two prominent mental health counselors a resilience expert at an Ivy League college and a megachurch pastor died by suicide in September. At the 2017 U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundations Health Means Business summit, Arianna Huffington, sleep evangelist and author of The Sleep Revolution: Transforming Your Life, One Night at a Time, said people who toil in the charitable space often have the most trouble detaching from work and, well, going to bed.
Meanwhile, Justin Phillips, a mother who lost her son to a drug overdose, is trying to start the #chooseempathy movement. She founded Overdose Lifeline to raise awareness that addiction is not a choice and requires empathetic responses.
Dr. Judith Orloff, a psychiatrist and self-described empath, agrees society needs moreempathy given the rising rates of addiction, suicide and mental illness, among other challenges. But she cautions those who choose to be empathic or find it comes naturally about the need to care for themselvesfirst.
More: Oprah Winfrey reveals latest book club pick: 'I'm in awe'
The New York Times best-selling author's new book, "Thriving as an Empath: 365 Days of Self-Care for Sensitive People"(Sounds True publishing), is now in stores.
Dr. Judith Orloff is a Los Angeles area psychiatrist, author and empath.(Photo: Courtesy of Judith Orloff.)
Here, she talks with USA TODAY health policy reporter Jayne O'Donnell, who calls herself an "overempathizer."
Dr. Judith Orloff:Ordinary empathy is the ability to feel someone elses pain as well as their joy, the ability for us to be open-hearted. It's such a beautiful trait. Being an empath, however, goes further. Empaths have extremely sensitive neurological systems and dont have the usual filters that other people have, so they feel things intensely and often are emotional sponges who take on other peoples stress if they dont learn how to set boundaries and practice other self-care techniques ... Most empaths are introverts like myself, but some are extroverts who love socializing but still need to decompress afterwards to take care of themselves.
As part of my research on empaths, I developed a 20-question self-assessment test in my earlier book, "The Empaths Survival Guide," to determine if you are an empath. Some of the questions include: Have I been labeled as overly sensitive?(in a derogatory way). Do crowds drain me, and do I need a lot of alone time to replenish myself? Do I take on other peoples stress or emotions? Do I replenish myself in nature? Am I super-sensitive to noise, smells and excessive talking?
Empaths have many special challenges and also many gifts.
Orloff:I believe empathy is the most precious trait in human nature. We need more of it in our country and in the world. Empathy is the ability to put yourself in someone elses shoes so you can see their point of view. Empathy is so powerful because it opens our hearts. It allows us to try to understand another persons position, even if we dont particularly like them or if we disagree on an issue. This gives us the best chance of successfully communicating with them and resolving differences.
Orloff: Yes, Ive seen many of my patients, including empaths and all sensitive people, care too much and become burned out by empathy overload or get involved with addictions, including substances, foodand sexto numb themselves out. In my psychotherapy practice, there has been an epidemic of empathic patients consulting me who are exhausted, anxious, depressed and overwhelmed by added stress in their personal lives, which is aggravated by our worlds non-stop stress.
Arianna Huffington reports that over two-thirds of doctors in the U.S. say they are burned out, depressed or both! Plus the general suicide rate in our country just keeps going up. Those in the helping professions have trouble turning stress off so they also tend to experience impaired sleep and increased anxiety.
Orloff:Taking adequate alone time is essential to decompress. When my empath patients go nonstop in their jobs or as parents without periodically slowing down they risk chronic exhaustion, anxiety and overwhelm. Scheduling mini-breaks in your life to take a few deep breaths, spending some quiet time without phone calls, demandsor over-stimulation, taking a walkor meditating for even a few minuteswill break the momentum of stress and prevent sensory overload.
Also I teach all my patients that no is a complete sentence.
Orloff: Being a caring listener is one of the great empathic gifts we can give others. But we dont have to listen for hours on end to be effective. Giving someone your caring attention for five to 10 minutes can be very potent, as opposed to getting hooked into repetitive two-hour phone conversations that wear you out. I love you and I will be thinking of you is a wonderful thing to say after responding to the person for a limited time. Also, I recommend having short check-ins with the person. A technique I suggest in "Thriving as an Empath"is the 3 Minute Phone Call. This is when you tell the person youre available for this period of time and you want to support them.
As an empathic person, you adore giving, but what I hope my book will provide you with are strategies to give in healthy ways but also practice self-care so you can be a balanced, happy person.
If you or family members are struggling with issues mentioned in this story and you would like to connect with others online, joinUSA TODAYs "I Survived It"Facebook support group.
- Veteran mental health key part of pledge signing - VAntage Point Blog - November 14th, 2019
- The Toll of Holding a Job While Coping With Mental Health Issues - Bloomberg - November 14th, 2019
- Grant Program Announced to Fund Mental-Health Awareness Training - NBC Southern California - November 14th, 2019
- How the VA is Using Customer Feedback to Support Veteran's Mental Health - VAntage Point Blog - November 14th, 2019
- Northern Rivers streamlines a fragmented mental health system - Times Union - November 14th, 2019
- The impact of mental health training in the workplace - Medical News Today - November 14th, 2019
- The Changing Landscape Of Masculinity And Mens Mental Health In The Workplace - Forbes - November 14th, 2019
- CU app could change the way mental illness is diagnosed - The Denver Channel - November 14th, 2019
- New inpatients banned at mental health unit rated unsafe - The Guardian - November 14th, 2019
- Mental Health Data Shows Significant Signs of Depression and Anxiety at Harvard | News - Harvard Crimson - November 14th, 2019
- First-ever Maryland Cares event focuses on student-athlete mental health - Testudo Times - November 14th, 2019
- A student's battle with mental health and an attempted suicide played a part in her disciplinary probation - Mustang News - November 14th, 2019
- American millennials' mental and physical health is on the decline and they're on track to die faster than Gen X, a new report says - Business... - November 14th, 2019
- Abuse and torture of mental health patients rife across Nigeria, says report - The Guardian - November 14th, 2019
- Sioux Citys Opportunities School, focusing on behavior and mental health - KCAU 9 - November 14th, 2019
- Penn moves mental health and wellness programs under the direction of the provost - The Philadelphia Inquirer - November 14th, 2019
- National parks estimated to save trillions in mental health costs - Cosmos - November 14th, 2019
- Amazon's 'Modern Love': Do's and Don'ts When Managing Mental Illness at Work - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 14th, 2019
- Students work to improve their mental health as UNC works to improve its resources - The Daily Tar Heel - November 14th, 2019
- Sex-reassignment surgery yields long-term mental health benefits, study finds - NBCNews.com - November 14th, 2019
- Feeling suicidal, she turned to her college. But it had just cut campus mental health services. - The Philadelphia Inquirer - November 14th, 2019
- Drivers' mental health getting more attention - Truck News - November 14th, 2019
- Veteran employment and mental health: Difficulties transitioning to civilian life - KOAT New Mexico - November 14th, 2019
- Hundreds of people with autism wrongly being detained in mental health units - Sky News - November 14th, 2019
- Kay Warren talks mental health at Houston Baptist University - TMC News - Texas Medical Center News - November 9th, 2019
- Maddinson Out of Pakistan Tour Game on Mental Health Grounds - The New York Times - November 9th, 2019
- Witnesses concerned about mental health of man struck by a vehicle - Fort Wayne's NBC - November 9th, 2019
- UArizona program focuses on veterans struggling with mental health - KGUN - November 9th, 2019
- Brooklyn's Mental Health Court celebrates one thousand graduates diverted from prison system - Brooklyn Daily Eagle - November 9th, 2019
- What Others Say: On female inmate's mental health - Index-Journal - November 9th, 2019
- Counseling Center working to spread awareness of mental health on campus - The Wood Word - November 9th, 2019
- United Healthcare fined $1 million by Pennsylvania for violations of mental-health law - The Philadelphia Inquirer - November 9th, 2019
- High anxiety: What's driving more teens to seek mental health care? - MinnPost - November 9th, 2019
- For farmers in a mental health crisis, it's often tough to seek help. A Colorado program aims to begin conversations. - The Colorado Sun - November 9th, 2019
- Mental Health and the Quest for Counseling - The Dartmouth - November 9th, 2019
- Family of man with mental health issues calls 911 for ambulance, but police arrive instead - WPLG Local 10 - November 9th, 2019
- Kaiser looks to avoid disruption as mental health workers prepare to strike - The Mercury News - November 9th, 2019
- Nonprofit Mental Health Provider Will End Clinic-Based Therapy Program, Affecting 450 Mainers - Maine Public - November 8th, 2019
- Culture change is the cutting edge of mental health benefits at work - Reuters - November 8th, 2019
- Facebook post mischaracterizes mental health coverage and gun access - PolitiFact - November 8th, 2019
- PNC-hosted panel examines children and mental health - University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News - November 8th, 2019
- Protecting Teens' Mental Health Is a Wise Investment - Kiplinger's Personal Finance - November 8th, 2019
- How to Ease the Mental-Health Impacts of Disasters - CityLab - November 8th, 2019
- How to watch HEADSTRONG: Mental Health and Sports on TV - NBCSports.com - November 8th, 2019
- Wausau School District addresses safety and mental health - WSAW - November 8th, 2019
- Most people give up on using mental health apps within a few weeks - New Scientist - November 8th, 2019
- Lindsey Vonn talks mental health, retirement at Philly event: 'Im hurting every day - The Philadelphia Inquirer - November 8th, 2019
- Read All About It Slam Poetry Addressing Mental Health - The State Times - November 8th, 2019
- New Jersey Voters Approve Nearly $1 Million Tax Hike to Tackle Teen Mental Health Crisis - Newsweek - November 8th, 2019
- What's the holdup? UW mental health resources looking to restructure to better serve students - Dailyuw - November 8th, 2019
- Eating alone is bad for our mental healthand the planet - Quartz - November 8th, 2019
- Incorporating mental health care with cancer treatment - 6 On Your Side - November 8th, 2019
- Hundreds of mental health beds needed to end 'shameful' out-of-area care - The Guardian - November 8th, 2019
- Minister to address mental health services crisis in Tipperary on visit to Clonmel - TipperaryLive.ie - November 8th, 2019
- Students, alumni recount experiences with mental health at Rice - The Rice Thresher - November 8th, 2019
- Cannabinoids Not Justified as Mental Health Treatment, Study Says - Psych Congress Network - November 8th, 2019
- Smoking may increase risk of mental health problems study - The Guardian - November 8th, 2019
- What is it like to live in poverty and struggle with mental health? - British Journal of Photography - November 8th, 2019
- $150M donation from Huntsman family to help establish mental health institute at the U - KUTV 2News - November 8th, 2019
- Former therapist: VA is hurting mental health care for combat veterans at its Vet Centers - NBC News - November 8th, 2019
- Taking the Cops Out of Mental Health-Related 911 Calls - James Moore - October 26th, 2019
- After years of struggle, Ben Gordon has found his calm - NBCSports.com - October 26th, 2019
- Gov. Baker Hopes Proposed Health Care Bill Will Improve Access To Mental Health, Addiction Services - wgbh.org - October 26th, 2019
- Changing Your Mindset: Tips To Improve Your Mental Health And Increase Happiness - Above the Law - October 26th, 2019
- Mental health professionals joining SWATs crisis negotiation team - MLive.com - October 26th, 2019
- Nowhere left to go: Where to seek help for mental health and suicide - Dailyuw - October 26th, 2019
- State lawmakers urged to focus on mental health of first responders - WCJB - October 26th, 2019
- Sports Participation a Big Win for Kids' Mental Health - Medscape - October 17th, 2019
- Michigan mental-health counselors get final OK of bill that allows them to keep practicing - Detroit Free Press - October 17th, 2019
- SF Mayor Breed Announces Backing for Mental Health Plan to be on 2020 Ballot - NBC Bay Area - October 17th, 2019
- Brittany Snow Recalls the Aftermath of Sharing Mental Health Journey - E! NEWS - October 17th, 2019
- Focusing on prevention: Zak Williams talks about supes' mental health overhaul - Mission Local - October 17th, 2019
- Portland Police Are Still Shooting People Who Experience Mental Illnesses. Cristi Martin Wants Her Son To Be The Last. - OPB News - October 17th, 2019
- Mental Health Is A Leading Cause For Why People Are Quitting Their JobsHeres What You Need To Do Now - Forbes - October 17th, 2019
- Stop the Stigma on Mental Illness - FOX 2 Detroit - October 17th, 2019
- Battling on Front Lines of Mental Health in NJs Public Schools - NJ Spotlight - October 17th, 2019
- Up to 263 workers at mental health hospital wait to hear if they have a job - Palm Beach Post - October 17th, 2019
- Microsoft and SilverCloud collaboration to leverage AI for mental health - MedCity News - October 17th, 2019
- Cedar Rapids native sharing her mental health story, encourages others to open up - KCRG - October 17th, 2019
- Concerns over mental health days in school - WOKV - October 17th, 2019