Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is one of the many things that makes Community Hospital special. It is a treatment in which a patient breathes 100-percent oxygen while inside a pressurized chamber.
Community Hospital's state-of-the-art hyperbaric oxygen chambers are used in the treatment of the following conditions:
In Monterey County, we are at sea level. That means we experience 1 atmosphere of pressure during our daily lives. The hyperbaric chamber, on the other hand, can be adjusted to deliver up to 2additional atmospheres of pressure. Coupled with the inhalation of 100-percent oxygen, this results in a dramatic increase in oxygen to the body's tissues.
The compressed oxygen is dissolved into the blood, which can carry a high concentration of oxygen to damaged tissue. And oxygen is critical for healing. Perhaps the most important feature of hyperbaric oxygen is that it stimulates the growth of new blood vessels, which can then support new tissue growth.
"Hyperbaric oxygen therapy can be used for certain non-healing wounds," says Dr. Ed Johnson,panelphysician,WoundHealing and Hyperbaric Medicine at Community Hospital. "But we also treat patients who have compromised skin grafts or flaps.
"A bad crush injury to the leg, for instance, can become swollen quickly. But we can reduce the swelling right away, which allows blood flow to become unrestricted. Because this high concentration of oxygen can pass through the bloodstream in the liquid phase, it can get into small spaces, even where tissue might be crushed.
In many instances, hyperbaric oxygen therapy supplements traditional treatments such as surgery and antibiotics.
See the rest here:
- Hyperbaric Medicine | South Miami Hospital - April 12th, 2019
- Hyperbaric Medicine | Jackson Health System - March 30th, 2019
- Wound Healing & Hyperbaric Medicine - Crozer-Keystone ... - March 7th, 2019
- HYOX | Atlanta Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy - March 7th, 2019
- EUBS 2019 HYPERBARIC MEDICINE & THE BRAIN - February 26th, 2019
- Advanced Wound Healing & Hyperbaric Medicine Center at ... - February 10th, 2019
- Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine - umms.org - January 1st, 2019
- VHMS - Veterinary Hyperbaric Medicine Society - January 1st, 2019
- Hyperbaric Medicine | University of Maryland Medical Center - December 23rd, 2018
- FAQ or Frequently Asked Questions about HBOT and ... - December 23rd, 2018
- Hyperbaric medicine - Wikipedia - December 22nd, 2018
- Hyperbaric Medicine: Principles & Practice, 2nd Edition ... - December 22nd, 2018
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Unit | Mather Hospital - December 21st, 2018
- Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine American Board of ... - December 20th, 2018
- www.winthrop.org - December 16th, 2018
- Wound Healing and Hyperbaric Medicine | NYU Winthrop Hospital - November 14th, 2018
- Hyperbaric Medicine Practice, Second Edition-Revised ... - November 2nd, 2018
- Home - St. Anthony's Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine - October 5th, 2018
- Wound Healing and Hyperbaric Medicine at NYU Winthrop Hospital - October 2nd, 2018
- Physiology and Medicine of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy ... - September 20th, 2018
- Services | Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine - September 20th, 2018
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy HBOT A proven alternative medicine - August 27th, 2018
- Wound Care, Hyperbaric Medicine & Amputation Prevention ... - August 6th, 2018
- Beverly Hills Center For HyperBaric Medicine - August 2nd, 2018
- Center for Hyperbaric Medicine - R Adams Cowley Shock ... - July 24th, 2018
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy - Montefiore Medical Center - July 24th, 2018
- Hyperbaric Medicine - St. Mary Medical Center, Langhorne PA - July 14th, 2018
- Leadership American College of Hyperbaric Medicine - July 14th, 2018
- Hyperbaric Medicine | Emergency Medicine | University of ... - July 1st, 2018
- Center for Hyperbaric Medicine | Virginia Mason, Seattle, WA - June 21st, 2018
- Hyperbaric Medicine - umms.org - June 18th, 2018
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy - Wound Care - New York City - Bronx - June 14th, 2018
- Hyperbaric Medicine - westchestermedicalcenter.com - June 6th, 2018
- Hyperbaric Medicine - Lourdes Health System - May 30th, 2018