A grassroots effort by licensed professional counselors prodded the Legislature to fast-track a bill to stop rule changes that govern the profession. Detroit Free Press
A bill that would allow licensed professional counselors to continue to diagnose and treat mental-health patients passed with unanimous support in the state Senate Thursday and is headed to Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, who is expected to sign it into law.
The bill and its swift passage were theresult of a concerted push by the counselors, who provide services to some 150,000 people,to stop rules proposed by the state Department of Licensing and Regulation that would have impacted the counselors ability to officially diagnose and treat patients.
The Michigan Capitol building in Lansing on Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2019.(Photo: Kathleen Gray, Detroit Free Press)
The counselors rallied at the Capitol several times, flooded lawmakers offices with phone calls, e-mails and letters and testified in mass at hearings on the matter. The campaign to stop the rules worked. The legislation was fast-tracked in the Legislature and passed unanimously in both the House and Senate.
More: Counselors mobilize in Lansing to stop new rules that would affect their practices
More: Detroit students asked to sign pledge as district takes aim at bullying
When the measure received final passage Thursday, counselors who filled the gallery above the Senate chamber stood and cheered.
LARA was attempting to update the rules on roughly 10,000 licensed professional counselors in the state.
The current rules were very outdated, state regulatory officials said, and needed to be updated to comply with current state law. The new rules would have taken counselors' ability to diagnose patients and use certain treatment methods, such as psychotherapy.The Michigan Psychiatric Society agreed and opposed the legislation.
But counselors said that the new rules would put them out of business, leaving thousands of people without mental-health care and limit their ability to get reimbursed by insurance companies for their services.
When counselors can't see their clients, a lot of bad things are going to happen, said Richard Lieske, a counselor from Okemos.
Sara Sue Schaeffer, a counselor from Sturgis and the public policy head of the Michigan Mental Health Counselors Association, said the new rule would have put counselors out of business.
The Legislature tried to pass similar legislation last year, but the issue died without a vote on the last day of the lame-duck session in 2018. When LARA held a public hearing on the new rules last month, the legislation that would halt them was put on a fast track.
And Whitmer supports the legislation HB 4325.
Licensed professional counselors play an integral role in the mental-health services system, said Tiffany Brown, spokeswoman for Whitmer. The administration would support legislation to broaden LPCs scope of practice.
Contact Kathleen Gray: firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @michpoligal
Read or Share this story: https://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/2019/10/17/mental-health-counselors/4011114002/
Read more here:
- Mental Health: Get the Facts on Common Disorders - December 7th, 2019
- Types of mental health problems | Mind, the mental health ... - December 7th, 2019
- Mental Health - New York City Department of Education - December 7th, 2019
- Adult film performers say the state of mental health in the industry needs more attention - CBS News - December 7th, 2019
- The Only Way To Eradicate Mental Illness Is To Talk About It: Insights On Brain Health From The 2019 Forbes Healthcare Summit - Forbes - December 7th, 2019
- Perfectionism is a mental health risk - Vox.com - December 7th, 2019
- Mental health-related ED visits among kids on the rise in Colorado - ModernHealthcare.com - December 7th, 2019
- Family: Moline mans mental health relapse is to blame for fire and death of family pet - WQAD Moline - December 7th, 2019
- Throne speech recognition of mental health and addiction support applauded by pan-Canadian health organizations - GlobeNewswire - December 7th, 2019
- King County-based conference provides first responders with mental health resources - KING5.com - December 7th, 2019
- Bay View Center offers understanding ear to those with mental illness | News, Sports, Jobs - Alpena News - December 7th, 2019
- How The Peloton Ad Radically Changes The Conversation About Mental Health And Being The Boss Of Your Own Life - Forbes - December 7th, 2019
- Deep Bench: The effects of holiday stress on your mental health - WSAW - December 7th, 2019
- Farmers want face-to-face talks, not hotlines, about mental health - Grand Forks Herald - December 7th, 2019
- State will pay $10M to mental health providers after suit - KRWG - December 7th, 2019
- As Impeachment Looms, 350 Mental Health Professionals Warn Congress That Nuclear-Armed Trump 'A Threat to Safety of Our Nation' - Common Dreams - December 7th, 2019
- State psychiatrist to talk psychedelics and mental health - MLive.com - December 7th, 2019
- Mental Health First Aid training to be offered to town's police officers - Riverhead News Review - December 7th, 2019
- Feeling blue in the gray? How the inversion affects mental health - KSTU FOX 13 Salt Lake City - December 7th, 2019
- Winnebago Mental Health Institute, the state's psychiatric hospital, is short more than 100 staff as it seeks another new director - Milwaukee Journal... - December 7th, 2019
- Eliminating The Stigma Around Mental Health In The Workplace - Forbes - December 7th, 2019
- One of the most overlooked consequences of climate change? Our mental health - Environmental Health News - December 7th, 2019
- ThriveNYC and N.Y. Public Library announce mental health partnership coming to Mariners Harbor - SILive.com - December 7th, 2019
- Lowcountry prison mental health officer accused of attempting to bring inmate alcohol - Live 5 News WCSC - December 7th, 2019
- Rebranding Mens Mental Health: The Trojan Horse, A Bathroom Poster And Embracing The Ands - Forbes - November 26th, 2019
- Mental health services in Lebanon: an approach focused on recovery - World Health Organization - November 26th, 2019
- How Kamala Harris will address the mental health crisis - POLITICO - November 26th, 2019
- Rent subsidies, mental health care tied to housing stability for homeless - Reuters - November 26th, 2019
- Reviewing Mental Health On Campus - wgbh.org - November 26th, 2019
- Man accused of stalking former classmate going to mental health court - KSDK.com - November 26th, 2019
- Why men's brands need to talk about men's mental health - Quartz - November 26th, 2019
- Patients Turn to CBD in Search of Relief for their Mental Health Disorders - P&T Community - November 26th, 2019
- Mental Illness Behind Bars: The hard lessons of Orleans Parish - The Lens - November 26th, 2019
- The Labyrinthine Experience of Mental Illness - The Atlantic - November 26th, 2019
- How to improve mental health awareness in education - observer-me.com - November 26th, 2019
- Addressing the mental health care gap in primary care - Contemporary Pediatrics - November 26th, 2019
- New Partners Are Worried About Mental Health and a Looming Recession | The American Lawyer - Texas Lawyer - November 26th, 2019
- People are taking disturbing action when they seek mental-health coverage - MarketWatch - November 26th, 2019
- N.H. Will Apply For Waiver To Loosen Restrictions On Medicaid Mental Health Spending - New Hampshire Public Radio - November 26th, 2019
- The Steve Fund Improves Mental Health Services for Students of Color - Diverse: Issues in Higher Education - November 26th, 2019
- Clinton High School to participate in Mental Health First Aid pilot program - WAND - November 26th, 2019
- People in mental health units need a voice. Thats why Im helping them to vote - The Guardian - November 26th, 2019
- The Genetic Link Between Asthma and Mental Health - Pulmonology Advisor - November 26th, 2019
- Deval Patricks wife, Diane, excited to lead on mental health issues as first lady - MassLive.com - November 26th, 2019
- Plaid Cymru pledges to increase mental health spending and calls for drug law reform - The Pharmaceutical Journal - November 26th, 2019
- The U.S. Military Can Lead The Way In Mental Health And Suicide Prevention - Forbes - November 26th, 2019
- Mental health coverage is getting worse as opioid overdoses and suicides rise - Axios - November 26th, 2019
- Lecturers' strike risks having a damaging effect on students with mental health problems, complaints watchdog warns - The Telegraph - November 26th, 2019
- Ontario Recognizes Outstanding Mental Health Leaders - Government of Ontario News - November 26th, 2019
- Mental health in schools - Scottish Government News - November 26th, 2019
- How I Learned To Be Thankful Even For Mental Illness - The Federalist - November 26th, 2019
- Yes, Children Need to Take Mental Health Days Too Here's Why - Healthline - November 24th, 2019
- 7 things mental health experts wish everyone knew about therapy - Business Insider - November 24th, 2019
- Mental Health Treatment Is Still Harder To Get Compared To Other Services, Report Finds - KUNC - November 24th, 2019
- How to check on family and friends' mental health - KENS5.com - November 24th, 2019
- Letter to the Editor, Nov. 24, 2019: Kahlil Pfaff on mental health - Richmond.com - November 24th, 2019
- Immigration raids are tied to worse mental health among Latinos - NBCNews.com - November 24th, 2019
- When Mental Illness Is Severe - The New York Times - November 24th, 2019
- Commentary: Bry on why mental health, drug issues must be addressed in dealing with homelessness - The San Diego Union-Tribune - November 24th, 2019
- Immigration raids tied to worse mental health among Hispanic Americans - Reuters - November 24th, 2019
- 'A good mother': Woman who attempted to kill self, baby gets mental health help over prison - Argus Leader - November 24th, 2019
- How social media affects women and their mental health - KHOU.com - November 24th, 2019
- Weekly Health Quiz: Memory, Canker Sores and Exercise for Mental Health - The New York Times - November 24th, 2019
- After death of son, Overland Park mother applauds mental health training improvements - KSHB - November 24th, 2019
- Why its so hard to force people to get mental-health treatment in Pennsylvania - The Philadelphia Inquirer - November 24th, 2019
- Mental health court coming to Midland by 2020 - Midland Daily News - November 24th, 2019
- How to spot when a loved one needs help for mental health, and how to start the conversation - KENS5.com - November 24th, 2019
- Struggling With Perceived Isolation, Many First-Gen College Students Face Mental Health Problems - wgbh.org - November 24th, 2019
- Jordyn Woods Shares Fitness and Mental Health Advice in Instagram Q&A - Life&Style Weekly - November 24th, 2019
- Top tips to look after your mental health and eliminate stress this Christmas - Mirror Online - November 24th, 2019
- Microaggressions and their role in mental illness - Harvard Gazette - November 24th, 2019
- Taking Care of Your Mental Health Is a Key Piece of the IBD Puzzle - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - November 24th, 2019
- One in four children in Germany have mental health issues - Daily Sabah - November 24th, 2019
- Sophie Molineux takes break from WBBL to focus on mental health - The Guardian - November 24th, 2019
- Mens Mental Health: Start the conversation and stop suicide - KAIT - November 24th, 2019
- There's a shortage of youth mental health services in Belle Haven. A new community collaborative hopes to change that. - The Almanac Online - November 24th, 2019
- Multnomah County's Director of Mental Health and Addiction Services is ready to rebuild a department that's been under fire - KGW.com - November 24th, 2019
- I've Hidden My Mental Illness From Those I Love Most. Here's Why. - HuffPost - November 24th, 2019
- Residents Demand Action on Abandoned Mental Health Facility In Tinley Park - NBC Chicago - November 24th, 2019
- Veteran mental health key part of pledge signing - VAntage Point Blog - November 14th, 2019