Mental health, conceptual image.
About 1 in 5 employees will experience a mental health condition each year, and because serious mental illness causes $193.2 billion in lost earnings each year, its a topic too big to be ignored by companies.
Employers who value and prioritize mental health can see the positive impact it has on employee retention, engagement, and health care costs.
Which is why Mental Health America (MHA)recently announced a new national employer certification program, called the Bell Seal for Workplace Mental Health to help guide employers. The program assesses workplaces in five categories: workplace culture, health insurance and benefits, employee perks and programs, legal and ethical compliance and leadership and community engagement.
Mental Health America envisions a nation where the average American workplace understands the value of addressing mental health at work and implements policies and practices that support employee well-being, saidPaul Gionfriddo, Mental Health America president and CEO. While employees seek workplaces that are stable, supportive, and less stressful, employers seek workers who are engaged, productive and loyal. Fortunately, by addressing mental health at work, employers can achieve the distinct but complementary goals of both employees and the organization.
TheBell Sealrecognizes employer advances in workplace mental health by awarding levels of bronze, silver, gold, and platinum. By becomingBell Seal-certified, an organization sets itself apart as a workplace that values mental health and a mentally healthy work environment for all employees. Any employer - large or small - is encouraged to apply. TheBell Sealapplication process operates on a rolling basis, so that MHA can accept applications year-round.Because all workplaces are different, an employer can aspire to receive recognition at four levels Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum.
Through the Bell Seal certification process, organizations will have opportunities to discuss the relationship between mental health and the following objectives:
As part of the certification process, organizations will receive a comprehensive assessment of its existing workplace policies and practices for each of the five categories. Based on the results, MHA will provide insight into the areas an employer is doing well and guidance for the areas that need improvement.
To date, four companies have completed the process to becomeBell Seal-certified and include:
Beacon Health Options - Platinum
Beacon is a leading behavioral health services company serving the full spectrum of behavioral health needs and specializing in complex, high acuity populations. The company offers proven solutions for a broad client base that includes employers, regional and specialty health plans, and federal, state, and local governments.
Behavioral health is all we do at Beacon Health Options. Were honored to be recognized for living our values and helping our employees live their lives to the fullest. saidRussell C. Petrella, Ph.D., president and CEO of Beacon Health Options.At Beacon, we have a longstanding dedication to the emotional well-being of our employees. In return, we enable our employees to thrive which helps us thrive as an organization.
EAB - Platinum
EAB is an education firm that partners with colleges, universities, and K-12 schools across North America and abroad to foster student success at every level. EAB is headquartered in Washington, DC, with additional offices in Birmingham, AL; Minneapolis, MN; New York, NY; and Richmond, VA.
EAB is proud to have been platinum certified by MHA as it recognizes our commitment to bolstering the health and wellness of our employees, saidEAB Chief Executive Officer David Felsenthal. We work hard to create a culture where employees feel safe seeking support for any issue that might impact their ability to bring their full selves to work each day.
Dallas Fort Worth Airport (DFW) - Platinum
DFW Airport is the worlds fourth busiest airport for flights and welcomes more than 73 million customers every year. As one of the most frequently visited superhub airports in the world, DFW has flights to 193 domestic and 67 international nonstop destinations. DFW Airport is one of the largest economic drivers for the North Texas Region, directing $37 billion each year into the local economy.
At DFW Airport, we believe taking care of your mental health is just as important as your physical health. We want to remove the stigma associated with emotional health by encouraging our employees and their families to take advantage of the emotional well-being benefits and resources available through our employee assistance program Safe Landings, saidSean Donohue,CEO of DFW Airport. We are committed to providing a culture that promotes overall health mental and physical for employees. Organizations have a responsibility to help support an employees total well-being.
Ashland Chemical Inc. - Silver
Ashland is a premier global specialty materials company serving customers in a wide range of consumer and industrial markets, including adhesives, architectural coatings, automotive, construction, energy, food and beverage, nutraceuticals, personal care and pharmaceutical. Ashland has approximately 4,700 passionate, tenacious solvers from renowned scientists and research chemists to talented engineers and plant operators who thrive on developing practical, innovative and elegant solutions to complex problems for customers in more than 100 countries.
The Ashland Way calls for each of our solvers around the globe to respect, protect, and advance the people we work with, companies we serve, shareholders who invest in our future, communities we're a part of, and planet we share, saidKeith Silverman, Senior Vice President, Global Operations, Quality and Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS). Our vision is to continue educating about drug and alcohol addiction and mental illness for employees and their families at all Ashland sites.
The workplace is one of the most important places to address mental health. An employer can improve workplace culture, offer generous health insurance and other benefits, and commit to mental health from the top-down to cultivate a worker-friendly, highly productive, and psychologically safe workplace. Hopefully this new workplace mental health certification from MHA will inspire more companies to prioritize mental health.
- Mental health professionals offer suggestions to those suffering with stress, anxiety - Olean Times Herald - March 25th, 2020
- How can I tell if my child has mental health issues and what can I do to help? - Nevada Today - March 25th, 2020
- Mental health clinics and organizations alter offerings | Forest Lake Times - ECM Publishers - March 25th, 2020
- West Texas community mental health partners offering in-person and telehealth services - MyFoxZone.com KIDY - March 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus and mental health | Local - The Baytown Sun - March 25th, 2020
- Tips to take care of your mental health during the COVID-19 pandemic - WTOL - March 25th, 2020
- Participants Needed for Online Study on Social Distancing and Mental Health - University of Arkansas Newswire - March 25th, 2020
- Experts: Use the time to better your mental health - WWL News, Talk, Sports Radio Station - March 25th, 2020
- Maine mental health workers brace for spike in clients whose lives 'may never be the same' - Bangor Daily News - March 25th, 2020
- This startup is tackling the hidden mental health impacts of cancer - Wired.co.uk - March 25th, 2020
- Wasatch County Council Hears Reports Regarding Mental Health Services And The School District - KPCW - March 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: six ways of turning anxiety into positive mental health habits - The Conversation UK - March 25th, 2020
- Surprising ways parents can maintain their mental health while working from home - AZ Big Media - March 25th, 2020
- Why your mental health may be suffering in the COVID-19 pandemic - PBS NewsHour - March 25th, 2020
- Snap rolling out Here For You mental health tool early with focus on coronavirus - The Verge - March 25th, 2020
- BREVARD COVID-19 UPDATE: Palm Point Behavioral Health Fully Operational and Serving the Needs of Our Community | - SpaceCoastDaily.com - March 25th, 2020
- 9 Mental Health Practices To Maintain (Or Begin) During The Coronavirus Lockdown - Forbes - March 23rd, 2020
- COVID-19 And Your Mental Health - University of Arkansas Newswire - March 23rd, 2020
- Companies are making mental-health care fast and accessible - New York Post - March 23rd, 2020
- 'Wake up, millennials: Now is the time to prioritize your mental health,' therapist says of coronavirus pandemic - CNBC - March 23rd, 2020
- Using video conferencing for mental health consultations - Swinburne University of Technology - March 23rd, 2020
- Mental health professionals share insight into coping with COVID-19 - Pine River Times - March 23rd, 2020
- Mental health professionals finding new ways to care for patients - WBAY - March 23rd, 2020
- Keeping up with mental health during a time of uncertainty - WIFR - March 23rd, 2020
- Is there a right way to worry about coronavirus? And other mental health tips - The Guardian - March 23rd, 2020
- How working from home during coronavirus affects productivity and mental health - Vox.com - March 23rd, 2020
- Coronavirus and the state of your mental health - WGAL Susquehanna Valley Pa. - March 23rd, 2020
- Failure to address coronavirus mental health issues will prolong impact | TheHill - The Hill - March 23rd, 2020
- Don't forget to take care of your mental health as well during the COVID-19 pandemic - News 5 Cleveland - March 23rd, 2020
- Stay active during isolation: Help maintain your physical and mental health during COVID-19 period - KSN-TV - March 23rd, 2020
- Social distancing can take a toll on mental health: Anybody can be affected by this - WITI FOX 6 Milwaukee - March 23rd, 2020
- What you need to know about maintaining your mental health during the COVID-19 outbreak - Boston.com - March 23rd, 2020
- 8 mental health tips to weather the coronavirus crisis like a pro - Cyclingnews.com - March 22nd, 2020
- COVID-19 in Minnesota: Mental health resources to help get through this tough time - FOX 9 - March 22nd, 2020
- Reframing the narrative: How to protect your mental health during the coronavirus pandemic - Northwest Herald - March 22nd, 2020
- Containing The Coronavirus Pandemic Seriously Threatens Our Mental Health: Here Are 5 Strategies To Protect Yours. - Forbes - March 22nd, 2020
- Mental health tax lays foundation for improving health outcomes in Winnebago County - Rockford Register Star - March 22nd, 2020
- MENTAL HEALTH: Medical experts give advice on how to stay healthy amid uncertainty - KTTC - March 22nd, 2020
- When Home Becomes The Workplace: Mental Health And Remote Work - Forbes - March 22nd, 2020
- Get outdoors, create routines and ask for help to maintain mental health while practicing social distancing - Summit Daily News - March 22nd, 2020
- Fayetteville mental health professionals offer tips for dealing with COVID-19 related anxiety - The Fayetteville Observer - March 22nd, 2020
- How to make mental health a priority during the coronavirus pandemic - ESPN - March 22nd, 2020
- How to maintain good mental health amid social distancing and working from home - KTIV - March 22nd, 2020
- Coronavirus and mental health: Anxieties spike amid Bay Area's isolation - San Jos Spotlight - March 22nd, 2020
- Here's how to take care of your mental health during isolation, according to a mental health expert - wtvr.com - March 22nd, 2020
- We can't leave those with mental illness, addiction disorders behind | TheHill - The Hill - March 22nd, 2020
- Questions about mental health treatment to be removed from Michigan bar exam next year - Lansing State Journal - March 22nd, 2020
- Snodgrass Says Residents Mental Health Issues Are Top Of Mind - HighRiverOnline.com - March 22nd, 2020
- Social recession: how isolation can affect physical and mental health - The Guardian - March 22nd, 2020
- Mental health agencies gear up for increased coronavirus-related workload - 13abc Action News - March 22nd, 2020
- Senate passes bill to boost mental health care access - Lowell Sun - February 14th, 2020
- Could mental health support be the key to keeping more Colorado preschool teachers in the field? - The Colorado Sun - February 14th, 2020
- Mental health care is vital to routine health care - The Boston Globe - February 14th, 2020
- "This is an emergency": Whistleblower says Olympic Committee needs to do more to address mental health - CBS News - February 14th, 2020
- Therapy program seeks outreach to improve mental health of refugees - The Daily Orange - February 14th, 2020
- Lululemon exec: Mental health is the 'next major step in our journey' - Yahoo Finance - February 14th, 2020
- Parkland shooting: Race is on to teach kids about mental health - Palm Beach Post - February 14th, 2020
- How are RAs prepared to address mental health? - The Stute - February 14th, 2020
- Incarcerated Teens Struggle With Higher Rates of Mental Health Issues. This Is How One Teen Found His Way Through - Colorado Public Radio - February 14th, 2020
- Climate change and the toll it takes on our mental health - The Hill - February 14th, 2020
- In Eastern Washington, young children needing immediate mental health care often have few options - Pacific Northwest Inlander - February 14th, 2020
- Bridgeview Mental Health Center moving to new location in Clinton with no bus route - KWQC-TV6 - February 14th, 2020
- Overland Park takes first step toward creation of mental health task force - shawneemissionpost.com - February 14th, 2020
- Garden City man accused of killing uncle will undergo mental health evaluation - Idaho Press-Tribune - February 14th, 2020
- Snapchat will now offer mental health tools in the app - MIT Technology Review - February 14th, 2020
- PM News Brief: Rep. Curtis And The ERA, Youth Mental Health & Timing An Olympic Bid - KUER 90.1 - February 14th, 2020
- Bayfront to close Intensive Outpatient Behavioral Health Program in Punta Gorda - Wink News - February 14th, 2020
- Study Reveals "Mental Health Crisis" in U.K. Film, TV Industries - Hollywood Reporter - February 14th, 2020
- My patients dont separate their physical and mental health. Medicare must stop asking us to - The Guardian - February 14th, 2020
- Massachusetts law meant to protect people with mental illness may make them sicker - The Boston Globe - February 14th, 2020
- By the Book: The Glass Eye and writing about mental illness - University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News - February 14th, 2020
- The Championship and a talk about mental health Football Weekly Extra - The Guardian - February 14th, 2020
- Neglecting your mental health could affect your heart health - WQOW TV News 18 - February 14th, 2020
- Doctor Who's Awkward Mental Health Fears Reaction Explained by BBC - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2020
- Soaring higher: Congratulations to LHU's mental health counseling program | News, Sports, Jobs - Lock Haven Express - February 7th, 2020
- Vaping ordinance and youth mental health are now top goals for Mountain View City Council - Mountain View Voice - February 7th, 2020
- Cries for help on Twitter linked to spike in mental-health hospitalisations - Yahoo Sports - February 7th, 2020
- Other states starting to follow Massachusetts' lead on bar exam, mental health - Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly - February 7th, 2020
- Stress Less: Tech Companies In The Mental Health Space Are Finally Going Mainstream - Forbes - February 7th, 2020
- Global investment in mental health technology surges above half a billion pounds - MobiHealthNews - February 7th, 2020