Mental health, conceptual image.
About 1 in 5 employees will experience a mental health condition each year, and because serious mental illness causes $193.2 billion in lost earnings each year, its a topic too big to be ignored by companies.
Employers who value and prioritize mental health can see the positive impact it has on employee retention, engagement, and health care costs.
Which is why Mental Health America (MHA)recently announced a new national employer certification program, called the Bell Seal for Workplace Mental Health to help guide employers. The program assesses workplaces in five categories: workplace culture, health insurance and benefits, employee perks and programs, legal and ethical compliance and leadership and community engagement.
Mental Health America envisions a nation where the average American workplace understands the value of addressing mental health at work and implements policies and practices that support employee well-being, saidPaul Gionfriddo, Mental Health America president and CEO. While employees seek workplaces that are stable, supportive, and less stressful, employers seek workers who are engaged, productive and loyal. Fortunately, by addressing mental health at work, employers can achieve the distinct but complementary goals of both employees and the organization.
TheBell Sealrecognizes employer advances in workplace mental health by awarding levels of bronze, silver, gold, and platinum. By becomingBell Seal-certified, an organization sets itself apart as a workplace that values mental health and a mentally healthy work environment for all employees. Any employer - large or small - is encouraged to apply. TheBell Sealapplication process operates on a rolling basis, so that MHA can accept applications year-round.Because all workplaces are different, an employer can aspire to receive recognition at four levels Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum.
Through the Bell Seal certification process, organizations will have opportunities to discuss the relationship between mental health and the following objectives:
As part of the certification process, organizations will receive a comprehensive assessment of its existing workplace policies and practices for each of the five categories. Based on the results, MHA will provide insight into the areas an employer is doing well and guidance for the areas that need improvement.
To date, four companies have completed the process to becomeBell Seal-certified and include:
Beacon Health Options - Platinum
Beacon is a leading behavioral health services company serving the full spectrum of behavioral health needs and specializing in complex, high acuity populations. The company offers proven solutions for a broad client base that includes employers, regional and specialty health plans, and federal, state, and local governments.
Behavioral health is all we do at Beacon Health Options. Were honored to be recognized for living our values and helping our employees live their lives to the fullest. saidRussell C. Petrella, Ph.D., president and CEO of Beacon Health Options.At Beacon, we have a longstanding dedication to the emotional well-being of our employees. In return, we enable our employees to thrive which helps us thrive as an organization.
EAB - Platinum
EAB is an education firm that partners with colleges, universities, and K-12 schools across North America and abroad to foster student success at every level. EAB is headquartered in Washington, DC, with additional offices in Birmingham, AL; Minneapolis, MN; New York, NY; and Richmond, VA.
EAB is proud to have been platinum certified by MHA as it recognizes our commitment to bolstering the health and wellness of our employees, saidEAB Chief Executive Officer David Felsenthal. We work hard to create a culture where employees feel safe seeking support for any issue that might impact their ability to bring their full selves to work each day.
Dallas Fort Worth Airport (DFW) - Platinum
DFW Airport is the worlds fourth busiest airport for flights and welcomes more than 73 million customers every year. As one of the most frequently visited superhub airports in the world, DFW has flights to 193 domestic and 67 international nonstop destinations. DFW Airport is one of the largest economic drivers for the North Texas Region, directing $37 billion each year into the local economy.
At DFW Airport, we believe taking care of your mental health is just as important as your physical health. We want to remove the stigma associated with emotional health by encouraging our employees and their families to take advantage of the emotional well-being benefits and resources available through our employee assistance program Safe Landings, saidSean Donohue,CEO of DFW Airport. We are committed to providing a culture that promotes overall health mental and physical for employees. Organizations have a responsibility to help support an employees total well-being.
Ashland Chemical Inc. - Silver
Ashland is a premier global specialty materials company serving customers in a wide range of consumer and industrial markets, including adhesives, architectural coatings, automotive, construction, energy, food and beverage, nutraceuticals, personal care and pharmaceutical. Ashland has approximately 4,700 passionate, tenacious solvers from renowned scientists and research chemists to talented engineers and plant operators who thrive on developing practical, innovative and elegant solutions to complex problems for customers in more than 100 countries.
The Ashland Way calls for each of our solvers around the globe to respect, protect, and advance the people we work with, companies we serve, shareholders who invest in our future, communities we're a part of, and planet we share, saidKeith Silverman, Senior Vice President, Global Operations, Quality and Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS). Our vision is to continue educating about drug and alcohol addiction and mental illness for employees and their families at all Ashland sites.
The workplace is one of the most important places to address mental health. An employer can improve workplace culture, offer generous health insurance and other benefits, and commit to mental health from the top-down to cultivate a worker-friendly, highly productive, and psychologically safe workplace. Hopefully this new workplace mental health certification from MHA will inspire more companies to prioritize mental health.
- WRITE TEAM: COVID-19 and mental health/addiction impact - MyWebTimes.com - May 26th, 2020
- Food Service Workers Are on the Brink of a Mental Health Crisis. These Efforts are Helping. - Civil Eats - May 26th, 2020
- 'We are all going through this:' Albany County mental health hotline helping hundreds - Albany Times Union - May 26th, 2020
- Here2Help Mental Health Coalition Library Forum: How to Recognize and Support People in Emotional Distress - TAPinto.net - May 26th, 2020
- VIDEO: YouTuber shows what it's like to have anxiety and panic attacks - Insider - INSIDER - May 26th, 2020
- Mental health and social isolation: how do have an active participation in self-care? - The European Sting - May 26th, 2020
- Cahill calls for mental health unit to be restored, expanded in Kingston - The Daily Freeman - May 26th, 2020
- Copper Ball virtual auction to benefit northern Arizona behavioral health - Arizona Daily Sun - May 26th, 2020
- Online therapy having its moment, bringing insights on how to expand mental health services going forward - The Conversation US - May 26th, 2020
- 'Like an earthquake with many aftershocks,' Coping with mental health and substance abuse issues during pandemic - Monadnock Ledger Transcript - May 26th, 2020
- Mental health apps draw wave of new users as experts call for more oversight - CNBC - May 26th, 2020
- Free Therapy and Mental Health Services You Can Access During the Coronavirus Outbreak - MSN Money - May 26th, 2020
- Mental health: How to care for yourself during the pandemic - CNN - May 26th, 2020
- Covid 19: This form of yoga can improve mental health, suggests study - The Indian Express - May 26th, 2020
- We Need to Take Action to Address the Mental Health Crisis in This Pandemic - TIME - May 26th, 2020
- Katie Lou Samuelson on mental health journey -- 'I realized I needed to ask for help' - ESPN - May 26th, 2020
- 3 signs that your coworker may be struggling with mental health issues - Fast Company - May 26th, 2020
- Singapore-based Intellect wants to lower barriers to mental health support in Asia - TechCrunch - May 16th, 2020
- Take care of your mind: mental health at JMU - The Breeze - May 16th, 2020
- The government will spend $48 million to safeguard mental health. Extending JobKeeper would safeguard it even more - The Conversation AU - May 16th, 2020
- Mental health expert panel discusses how to best deal with differing opinions on COVID-19 - WSAW - May 16th, 2020
- Greater Olean Area Mental Health Professionals Talk About How They Cope With the Pandemic - TAPinto.net - May 16th, 2020
- Letter to the Editor | Mental health requires more attention - Daily Illini - May 16th, 2020
- Mental health therapist concerned about telehealth reimbursements after emergency proclamation ends - KCRG - May 16th, 2020
- Coping Through COVID: The Importance of Mental Health - Patch.com - May 16th, 2020
- Suicide Prevention Aims To Get Ahead Of Pandemic's Added Pressures : Shots - Health News - NPR - May 16th, 2020
- Virtual mental health help for nurses at the front line of COVID-19 pandemic - Wink News - May 16th, 2020
- Experts worry about effects of coronavirus pandemic on those with mental health issues - CBS News - May 16th, 2020
- In China, covid-19 has focused attention on mental health - The Economist - May 16th, 2020
- Deaths and hunger strikes point to mental health crisis on stranded cruise ships - The Guardian - May 16th, 2020
- Im a survival psychologist, and this how weeks of social isolation is affecting your mental health - Well+Good - May 16th, 2020
- No Stigma Nevada: Its the worst time to skimp on mental-health resources - Elko Daily Free Press - May 12th, 2020
- Texas mental health counselors see influx of patients during coronavirus - The Texas Tribune - May 12th, 2020
- COVID-19 and your mental health | Health - Payson Roundup - May 12th, 2020
- Mental health in the workplace: The final frontier - Daily Herald - May 12th, 2020
- With a rapid shift to telehealth, Washburn Center is providing mental health services to children and families - MinnPost - May 12th, 2020
- 10 ways to boost mental health when working from home - World Economic Forum - May 12th, 2020
- As COVID-19 takes a toll on mental health, experts urge connection - Longview Daily News - May 12th, 2020
- Study Finds Pediatric ED Visits for Mental Health On the Rise - EMSWorld - May 12th, 2020
- Opinion: Mental health heroes are here to help during stressful times - Coloradoan - May 12th, 2020
- They just want someone to talk to: This mental health hotline is helping Texans navigate the pandemic - Gainesville Daily Register - May 12th, 2020
- Is It Time to Reevaluate Onstage Portrayals of Mental Illness? - Dance Magazine - May 12th, 2020
- Exclusive: Understanding the Impact of Climate Change on Mental Health - ICD10monitor - May 12th, 2020
- National Council for Behavioral Health Obtains 2.3 Million Face Masks for Mental Health and Addiction Providers at Risk of Exposure to Coronavirus -... - May 12th, 2020
- Local Counselor speaks: Mental Health and bouncing back from the Coronavirus - The Oxford Eagle - Oxford Eagle - May 12th, 2020
- Mike & Sherry Project Launches to Make Mental Health Support Accessible and Affordable for Restaurant and Bar Employees in Austin - Business Wire - May 12th, 2020
- COVID-19 having an impact on mental health | Coronavirus - East Oregonian - May 12th, 2020
- Northeast Business Group on Health and One Mind PsyberGuide Release Employer Guide to Mental Health Digital Tools and Solutions - GlobeNewswire - May 12th, 2020
- COVID-19 isolation threatening mental health of rural youth - National Observer - May 12th, 2020
- Peninsula Behavioral Health $2M grant to fund six positions - Peninsula Daily News - May 12th, 2020
- What COVID-19 Is Doing to Our Mental Health - Healthline - May 12th, 2020
- How Covid-19 is impacting the mental health of millennial moms - CNBC - May 12th, 2020
- Ashamed over my mental illness, I realized drawing might help me and others cope - The Wilton Bulletin - May 12th, 2020
- Bingeing That New TV Show Is Good for Your Mental Health - EcoWatch - May 12th, 2020
- How Coronavirus Is Taking a Toll on Mental Health - The New York Times - May 12th, 2020
- Dallas therapists already seeing pandemic of a mental health crisis, and Texas is dead last in fighting - The Dallas Morning News - May 12th, 2020
- Crisis Hotlines Offer Glimpse Of Mental Health In The Pandemic : Shots - Health News - dineshr - May 4th, 2020
- Letters to the editor: Climate change, COVID-19 and mental health - Mountain View Voice - May 4th, 2020
- Pandemic Might Have Ongoing Mental Health Effects, CWRU Researchers Say - WKSU News - May 4th, 2020
- Mental health care becomes team effort in NH as coronavirus pandemic increases need for working together - Manchester Ink Link - May 4th, 2020
- How to maintain your mental well-being during the COVID-19 crisis - Boston.com - May 4th, 2020
- Eat.Move.Connect. Tip: Protecting your mental health during the COVID-19 pandemic - Crow River Media - May 4th, 2020
- Mental health concerns skyrocket, 74 per cent of Britons report negative impact from the pandemic - Yahoo Finance - May 4th, 2020
- Letters to the editor: On mental health provider shakeup - Las Cruces Sun-News - May 4th, 2020
- Expert weighs in on impact isolation can have on mental health - KCRA Sacramento - May 4th, 2020
- Are You Struggling With Mental Health During The Pandemic? Tell Us Your Story - NPR - May 4th, 2020
- Mental health and addiction facilities face financial collapse - Business Insider - May 4th, 2020
- The Mental Health Ramifications We Expected for Doctors Are Here Now - Slate - May 4th, 2020
- COVID-19 increases risk to international students' mental health. Australia urgently needs to step up - The Conversation AU - May 4th, 2020
- SMD - Chronic illness in childhood linked to higher rates of mental illness - QMUL - May 4th, 2020
- The human needs driving the rise in gardening, and how to start one - CNN - May 4th, 2020
- Cannabis and Your Mental Health: New Campaign Explores the Link Between Cannabis and Psychosis - Yahoo Finance - May 4th, 2020
- New and expectant mums experiencing mental health difficulties urged to reach out for support during the COVID-19 crisis - Deeside.com - May 4th, 2020
- How to manage your mental health in long periods of self-isolation - Gulf Today - May 4th, 2020
- Need mental health help during COVID-19? This website aims to help. - Mashable - May 4th, 2020
- For Mental Health Month: 31 Songs That Show How to Keep a Positive Outlook - Billboard - May 4th, 2020
- Solvista Health Highlights Mental Health Month with #Tools2Thrive - by Brooke Gilmore - The Ark Valley Voice - May 4th, 2020
- Covid-19: Significant inconsistencies in testing of mental health staff - The Irish Times - May 4th, 2020
- New virtual wellbeing and mental health interactive hub launches in Surrey - Surrey News - May 4th, 2020
- Judy Darcy: The unprecedented times are challenging our mental health like never before - The Province - May 4th, 2020