For immediate help, if you are in a crisis, call the toll-free National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at1-800-273-TALK (8255), which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. All calls are confidential.
A former top medical official with the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Committee is making stark allegations about the organization's handling of mental health. Dr. Bill Moreau alleges he was let go last May, partly in retaliation for his complaints about the issue, which former Olympians like Michael Phelps have been outspoken about.
Moreau has since filed a lawsuit, saying he was wrongfully terminated.
Phelps says the USOPC should have done more to address mental health, telling theWashington Post, "I don't know of anything they've done to help us mental health-wise." The athlete is siding with Moreau, a chiropractor who worked inside the USOPC for 10 years. He gave his first TV interview to CBS News.
"Michael Phelps is exactly right. And people need to start listening to what he's saying about mental health," Moreau said.
He told CBS News one reason he was fired, was retaliation for complaining about how the organization handles serious mental illness.
"You know, these Olympic and Paralympic athletes. They're the sons and daughters of the United States. We love to say they're like the person next door. It's because they are. They suffer from mental health problems like everybody else," Moreau said. He was alarmed at what he said was the organization's slow response to an athlete in crisis, Olympic medalist Kelly Catlin. In 2019, while on medical leave from cycling, she took her own life.
"If you have suicidal ideation, you need to be under the care of a psychiatrist," Moreau said. But Moreau said the USOPC's approach has been more appropriate for a sports injury than a psychiatric emergency.
"We're trying to become experts in the management of serious mental health illness. And that's not what we do. If you have suicidal ideation, you need to be under the care of a psychiatrist," Moreau said.
On March 8, 2019, Catlin took her own life. Her death spurred Moreau to send a memo to USOPC leadership about what he said was an ongoing problem. He says they address athlete mental health issues using staff who are experts in sports performance, not psychiatry. He said it's "a dangerous pathway to follow." But Moreau said he got no response. Catlin's father said he doesn't know if more help from the Olympic Committee could have saved Catlin's life.
Olympic champion swimmer Allison Schmitt, who has battled depression for years, tweeted that Catlin's death "breaks my heart." She said she's still struggling and the USOPC is not providing her with adequate mental health support.
"There's lives out there that have been lost because there's no change made and it's very frustrating," Schmitt said. Moreau said the USOPC is still focused on money and medals. "They need to take that same investment and put it into the protection of the athletes' health and welfare," he said.
The USOPC did not respond to request for an interview. But it said in a letter to its athletes last week, "in the cases Bill Moreau uses as examples against us, we acted appropriately, expeditiously and in the best interest of the athletes."
- Senate passes bill to boost mental health care access - Lowell Sun - February 14th, 2020
- Could mental health support be the key to keeping more Colorado preschool teachers in the field? - The Colorado Sun - February 14th, 2020
- Mental health care is vital to routine health care - The Boston Globe - February 14th, 2020
- Therapy program seeks outreach to improve mental health of refugees - The Daily Orange - February 14th, 2020
- Lululemon exec: Mental health is the 'next major step in our journey' - Yahoo Finance - February 14th, 2020
- Parkland shooting: Race is on to teach kids about mental health - Palm Beach Post - February 14th, 2020
- How are RAs prepared to address mental health? - The Stute - February 14th, 2020
- Incarcerated Teens Struggle With Higher Rates of Mental Health Issues. This Is How One Teen Found His Way Through - Colorado Public Radio - February 14th, 2020
- Climate change and the toll it takes on our mental health - The Hill - February 14th, 2020
- In Eastern Washington, young children needing immediate mental health care often have few options - Pacific Northwest Inlander - February 14th, 2020
- Bridgeview Mental Health Center moving to new location in Clinton with no bus route - KWQC-TV6 - February 14th, 2020
- Overland Park takes first step toward creation of mental health task force - shawneemissionpost.com - February 14th, 2020
- Garden City man accused of killing uncle will undergo mental health evaluation - Idaho Press-Tribune - February 14th, 2020
- Snapchat will now offer mental health tools in the app - MIT Technology Review - February 14th, 2020
- PM News Brief: Rep. Curtis And The ERA, Youth Mental Health & Timing An Olympic Bid - KUER 90.1 - February 14th, 2020
- Bayfront to close Intensive Outpatient Behavioral Health Program in Punta Gorda - Wink News - February 14th, 2020
- Study Reveals "Mental Health Crisis" in U.K. Film, TV Industries - Hollywood Reporter - February 14th, 2020
- My patients dont separate their physical and mental health. Medicare must stop asking us to - The Guardian - February 14th, 2020
- Massachusetts law meant to protect people with mental illness may make them sicker - The Boston Globe - February 14th, 2020
- By the Book: The Glass Eye and writing about mental illness - University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News - February 14th, 2020
- The Championship and a talk about mental health Football Weekly Extra - The Guardian - February 14th, 2020
- Neglecting your mental health could affect your heart health - WQOW TV News 18 - February 14th, 2020
- Doctor Who's Awkward Mental Health Fears Reaction Explained by BBC - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2020
- New Mental Health Certification Will Help Create Healthier Workplaces - Forbes - February 7th, 2020
- Soaring higher: Congratulations to LHU's mental health counseling program | News, Sports, Jobs - Lock Haven Express - February 7th, 2020
- Vaping ordinance and youth mental health are now top goals for Mountain View City Council - Mountain View Voice - February 7th, 2020
- Cries for help on Twitter linked to spike in mental-health hospitalisations - Yahoo Sports - February 7th, 2020
- Other states starting to follow Massachusetts' lead on bar exam, mental health - Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly - February 7th, 2020
- Stress Less: Tech Companies In The Mental Health Space Are Finally Going Mainstream - Forbes - February 7th, 2020
- Global investment in mental health technology surges above half a billion pounds - MobiHealthNews - February 7th, 2020
- Retreat Behavioral Health To Host Dare To Self-Care Expo At The Mall Feb. 9 - Town-Crier - February 7th, 2020
- Is Your Business Addressing Mental Health? - Mondaq News Alerts - February 7th, 2020
- Mental health care without an appointment? Hospitals are pushed to improve access - The Patriot Ledger - February 2nd, 2020
- Gazette opinion: Rethinking community mental health care in Billings - Billings Gazette - February 2nd, 2020
- Skowhegan police receive mental health training as part of commitment to ensure safety to community - Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel - February 2nd, 2020
- Attorney for Antonio Brown says mental health test shows that wide receiver is 'fine' - USA TODAY - February 2nd, 2020
- Bill aims to fund mental health courts in Nebraska - 1011now - February 2nd, 2020
- He overcame homelessness and mental illness. But his legacy is defined by friends he left behind. - Winston-Salem Journal - February 2nd, 2020
- NCSS and local high schools to participate in National Teen Mental Health first aid pilot - St. Albans Messenger - February 2nd, 2020
- Urgent mental health care clinic, a rarity, opens in Everett - The Daily Herald - February 2nd, 2020
- More kids in Washington have mental-health issues that 10 years ago. Heres how lawmakers want to help. - Seattle Times - February 2nd, 2020
- Maine Voices: Mental health care system continues to abandon the people who need it - Press Herald - February 2nd, 2020
- Digital Technology Is Helping Reduce The Stigma Of Mental Health Illness - Yahoo News - February 2nd, 2020
- As the mental health crisis grows, Puerto Ricans need long-term care | TheHill - The Hill - February 2nd, 2020
- Deep Bench: Relationship infidelity and mental health - WSAW - February 2nd, 2020
- County approves Third Avenue mental health hub agreement, but Scripps bows out - The San Diego Union-Tribune - February 2nd, 2020
- Wasatch Mental Health director is Utah Countys Person of the Year - Daily Herald - February 2nd, 2020
- Editorial: Fill the gap in the county's mental health coverage - Bend Bulletin - February 2nd, 2020
- Forcing homeless into mental health treatment isn't the answer - Los Angeles Times - February 2nd, 2020
- Valley health care groups break ground on mental health center in Scottsdale - KTAR.com - February 2nd, 2020
- Washington County is paving the way for mental health treatment in jails - KBTX - February 2nd, 2020
- 5 Philly Fitness Pros Open Up about Their Mental Health - phillymag.com - February 2nd, 2020
- My daughter was murdered. Her lack of mental health care is partly to blame - Los Angeles Times - January 26th, 2020
- Mental health vs. stress: understanding the true meaning of mental health - WFMYNews2.com - January 26th, 2020
- Kids who need mental health services have options - ECM Publishers - January 26th, 2020
- Hawthorne Expands Offerings of Addiction and Mental Health Resources - Mineral County Independent-News - January 26th, 2020
- Antonio Brown granted bail, ordered to wear GPS monitor, undergo mental health evaluation - Fox News - January 26th, 2020
- 'Stretched to the max': Budget cuts could hit Georgia mental health services hard - The Albany Herald - January 26th, 2020
- YOUR HEALTH: Is the source of better mental health found in your gut? - WQAD Moline - January 26th, 2020
- Commentary: Mental health an under-covered issue in the 2020 elections - Mason City Globe Gazette - January 26th, 2020
- State Department of Education wants to add more funding for mental health services in schools - WAAY - January 26th, 2020
- New 10-Year Mental Health Plan Could Mean Changes For The Retreat - Vermont Public Radio - January 26th, 2020
- 'Joker' Filled With Mental Illness Misconceptions - Medscape - January 26th, 2020
- Delonte Wests Mental Illness, Once Treated As A Joke, Was Never A Laughing Matter - Forbes - January 26th, 2020
- Stanford focuses on mental health and well-being during Feb. 34 event | Stanford News - Stanford Report - January 26th, 2020
- Have you been affected by or are concerned about mental illness or substance use? - Fallbrook / Bonsall Villlage News - January 26th, 2020
- TONIGHT at 10: Food as Medicine: Finding relief to chronic and mental health conditions - WMTV - January 26th, 2020
- Working from home can take a toll on your mental health, study finds - Fox Business - January 26th, 2020
- Southern W.Va. mental health provider indicted by grand jury - WVVA TV - January 26th, 2020
- Youth Mental Health First Aid courses offer insight to tumultuous teenage years - Thecountypress - January 26th, 2020
- Billie Eilish On Mental Health: 'I Didn't Think I Would Make It To 17' - HuffPost - January 26th, 2020
- Want to be happier this year? Mental health experts share their resolutions for a less-divisive, healthier 2020 - NBC News - January 3rd, 2020
- Man who sparked Ithaca abduction scare seeks mental health evaluation - The Morning Sun - January 3rd, 2020
- Mental health: Which is better team sports or solo exercise? - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - January 3rd, 2020
- Franklin Mayor Ken Moore has eye on improving sidewalks, roads and mental health in 2020 - Tennessean - January 3rd, 2020
- Scots speed skating champion breaks from social media to improve mental health - HeraldScotland - January 3rd, 2020
- Putting military mental health on the front line - Personnel Today - January 3rd, 2020
- Mental health first-aid training offered in Bay City and Standish - MLive.com - January 3rd, 2020
- Liz Weston: Aunt wants to gift mental health care to nieces and nephews - oregonlive.com - January 3rd, 2020
- Mental health fears as Scots won't open up - Third Force News - January 3rd, 2020