For immediate help, if you are in a crisis, call the toll-free National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at1-800-273-TALK (8255), which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. All calls are confidential.
A former top medical official with the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Committee is making stark allegations about the organization's handling of mental health. Dr. Bill Moreau alleges he was let go last May, partly in retaliation for his complaints about the issue, which former Olympians like Michael Phelps have been outspoken about.
Moreau has since filed a lawsuit, saying he was wrongfully terminated.
Phelps says the USOPC should have done more to address mental health, telling theWashington Post, "I don't know of anything they've done to help us mental health-wise." The athlete is siding with Moreau, a chiropractor who worked inside the USOPC for 10 years. He gave his first TV interview to CBS News.
"Michael Phelps is exactly right. And people need to start listening to what he's saying about mental health," Moreau said.
He told CBS News one reason he was fired, was retaliation for complaining about how the organization handles serious mental illness.
"You know, these Olympic and Paralympic athletes. They're the sons and daughters of the United States. We love to say they're like the person next door. It's because they are. They suffer from mental health problems like everybody else," Moreau said. He was alarmed at what he said was the organization's slow response to an athlete in crisis, Olympic medalist Kelly Catlin. In 2019, while on medical leave from cycling, she took her own life.
"If you have suicidal ideation, you need to be under the care of a psychiatrist," Moreau said. But Moreau said the USOPC's approach has been more appropriate for a sports injury than a psychiatric emergency.
"We're trying to become experts in the management of serious mental health illness. And that's not what we do. If you have suicidal ideation, you need to be under the care of a psychiatrist," Moreau said.
On March 8, 2019, Catlin took her own life. Her death spurred Moreau to send a memo to USOPC leadership about what he said was an ongoing problem. He says they address athlete mental health issues using staff who are experts in sports performance, not psychiatry. He said it's "a dangerous pathway to follow." But Moreau said he got no response. Catlin's father said he doesn't know if more help from the Olympic Committee could have saved Catlin's life.
Olympic champion swimmer Allison Schmitt, who has battled depression for years, tweeted that Catlin's death "breaks my heart." She said she's still struggling and the USOPC is not providing her with adequate mental health support.
"There's lives out there that have been lost because there's no change made and it's very frustrating," Schmitt said. Moreau said the USOPC is still focused on money and medals. "They need to take that same investment and put it into the protection of the athletes' health and welfare," he said.
The USOPC did not respond to request for an interview. But it said in a letter to its athletes last week, "in the cases Bill Moreau uses as examples against us, we acted appropriately, expeditiously and in the best interest of the athletes."
- WRITE TEAM: COVID-19 and mental health/addiction impact - MyWebTimes.com - May 26th, 2020
- Food Service Workers Are on the Brink of a Mental Health Crisis. These Efforts are Helping. - Civil Eats - May 26th, 2020
- 'We are all going through this:' Albany County mental health hotline helping hundreds - Albany Times Union - May 26th, 2020
- Here2Help Mental Health Coalition Library Forum: How to Recognize and Support People in Emotional Distress - TAPinto.net - May 26th, 2020
- VIDEO: YouTuber shows what it's like to have anxiety and panic attacks - Insider - INSIDER - May 26th, 2020
- Mental health and social isolation: how do have an active participation in self-care? - The European Sting - May 26th, 2020
- Cahill calls for mental health unit to be restored, expanded in Kingston - The Daily Freeman - May 26th, 2020
- Copper Ball virtual auction to benefit northern Arizona behavioral health - Arizona Daily Sun - May 26th, 2020
- Online therapy having its moment, bringing insights on how to expand mental health services going forward - The Conversation US - May 26th, 2020
- 'Like an earthquake with many aftershocks,' Coping with mental health and substance abuse issues during pandemic - Monadnock Ledger Transcript - May 26th, 2020
- Mental health apps draw wave of new users as experts call for more oversight - CNBC - May 26th, 2020
- Free Therapy and Mental Health Services You Can Access During the Coronavirus Outbreak - MSN Money - May 26th, 2020
- Mental health: How to care for yourself during the pandemic - CNN - May 26th, 2020
- Covid 19: This form of yoga can improve mental health, suggests study - The Indian Express - May 26th, 2020
- We Need to Take Action to Address the Mental Health Crisis in This Pandemic - TIME - May 26th, 2020
- Katie Lou Samuelson on mental health journey -- 'I realized I needed to ask for help' - ESPN - May 26th, 2020
- 3 signs that your coworker may be struggling with mental health issues - Fast Company - May 26th, 2020
- Singapore-based Intellect wants to lower barriers to mental health support in Asia - TechCrunch - May 16th, 2020
- Take care of your mind: mental health at JMU - The Breeze - May 16th, 2020
- The government will spend $48 million to safeguard mental health. Extending JobKeeper would safeguard it even more - The Conversation AU - May 16th, 2020
- Mental health expert panel discusses how to best deal with differing opinions on COVID-19 - WSAW - May 16th, 2020
- Greater Olean Area Mental Health Professionals Talk About How They Cope With the Pandemic - TAPinto.net - May 16th, 2020
- Letter to the Editor | Mental health requires more attention - Daily Illini - May 16th, 2020
- Mental health therapist concerned about telehealth reimbursements after emergency proclamation ends - KCRG - May 16th, 2020
- Coping Through COVID: The Importance of Mental Health - Patch.com - May 16th, 2020
- Suicide Prevention Aims To Get Ahead Of Pandemic's Added Pressures : Shots - Health News - NPR - May 16th, 2020
- Virtual mental health help for nurses at the front line of COVID-19 pandemic - Wink News - May 16th, 2020
- Experts worry about effects of coronavirus pandemic on those with mental health issues - CBS News - May 16th, 2020
- In China, covid-19 has focused attention on mental health - The Economist - May 16th, 2020
- Deaths and hunger strikes point to mental health crisis on stranded cruise ships - The Guardian - May 16th, 2020
- Im a survival psychologist, and this how weeks of social isolation is affecting your mental health - Well+Good - May 16th, 2020
- No Stigma Nevada: Its the worst time to skimp on mental-health resources - Elko Daily Free Press - May 12th, 2020
- Texas mental health counselors see influx of patients during coronavirus - The Texas Tribune - May 12th, 2020
- COVID-19 and your mental health | Health - Payson Roundup - May 12th, 2020
- Mental health in the workplace: The final frontier - Daily Herald - May 12th, 2020
- With a rapid shift to telehealth, Washburn Center is providing mental health services to children and families - MinnPost - May 12th, 2020
- 10 ways to boost mental health when working from home - World Economic Forum - May 12th, 2020
- As COVID-19 takes a toll on mental health, experts urge connection - Longview Daily News - May 12th, 2020
- Study Finds Pediatric ED Visits for Mental Health On the Rise - EMSWorld - May 12th, 2020
- Opinion: Mental health heroes are here to help during stressful times - Coloradoan - May 12th, 2020
- They just want someone to talk to: This mental health hotline is helping Texans navigate the pandemic - Gainesville Daily Register - May 12th, 2020
- Is It Time to Reevaluate Onstage Portrayals of Mental Illness? - Dance Magazine - May 12th, 2020
- Exclusive: Understanding the Impact of Climate Change on Mental Health - ICD10monitor - May 12th, 2020
- National Council for Behavioral Health Obtains 2.3 Million Face Masks for Mental Health and Addiction Providers at Risk of Exposure to Coronavirus -... - May 12th, 2020
- Local Counselor speaks: Mental Health and bouncing back from the Coronavirus - The Oxford Eagle - Oxford Eagle - May 12th, 2020
- Mike & Sherry Project Launches to Make Mental Health Support Accessible and Affordable for Restaurant and Bar Employees in Austin - Business Wire - May 12th, 2020
- COVID-19 having an impact on mental health | Coronavirus - East Oregonian - May 12th, 2020
- Northeast Business Group on Health and One Mind PsyberGuide Release Employer Guide to Mental Health Digital Tools and Solutions - GlobeNewswire - May 12th, 2020
- COVID-19 isolation threatening mental health of rural youth - National Observer - May 12th, 2020
- Peninsula Behavioral Health $2M grant to fund six positions - Peninsula Daily News - May 12th, 2020
- What COVID-19 Is Doing to Our Mental Health - Healthline - May 12th, 2020
- How Covid-19 is impacting the mental health of millennial moms - CNBC - May 12th, 2020
- Ashamed over my mental illness, I realized drawing might help me and others cope - The Wilton Bulletin - May 12th, 2020
- Bingeing That New TV Show Is Good for Your Mental Health - EcoWatch - May 12th, 2020
- How Coronavirus Is Taking a Toll on Mental Health - The New York Times - May 12th, 2020
- Dallas therapists already seeing pandemic of a mental health crisis, and Texas is dead last in fighting - The Dallas Morning News - May 12th, 2020
- Crisis Hotlines Offer Glimpse Of Mental Health In The Pandemic : Shots - Health News - dineshr - May 4th, 2020
- Letters to the editor: Climate change, COVID-19 and mental health - Mountain View Voice - May 4th, 2020
- Pandemic Might Have Ongoing Mental Health Effects, CWRU Researchers Say - WKSU News - May 4th, 2020
- Mental health care becomes team effort in NH as coronavirus pandemic increases need for working together - Manchester Ink Link - May 4th, 2020
- How to maintain your mental well-being during the COVID-19 crisis - Boston.com - May 4th, 2020
- Eat.Move.Connect. Tip: Protecting your mental health during the COVID-19 pandemic - Crow River Media - May 4th, 2020
- Mental health concerns skyrocket, 74 per cent of Britons report negative impact from the pandemic - Yahoo Finance - May 4th, 2020
- Letters to the editor: On mental health provider shakeup - Las Cruces Sun-News - May 4th, 2020
- Expert weighs in on impact isolation can have on mental health - KCRA Sacramento - May 4th, 2020
- Are You Struggling With Mental Health During The Pandemic? Tell Us Your Story - NPR - May 4th, 2020
- Mental health and addiction facilities face financial collapse - Business Insider - May 4th, 2020
- The Mental Health Ramifications We Expected for Doctors Are Here Now - Slate - May 4th, 2020
- COVID-19 increases risk to international students' mental health. Australia urgently needs to step up - The Conversation AU - May 4th, 2020
- SMD - Chronic illness in childhood linked to higher rates of mental illness - QMUL - May 4th, 2020
- The human needs driving the rise in gardening, and how to start one - CNN - May 4th, 2020
- Cannabis and Your Mental Health: New Campaign Explores the Link Between Cannabis and Psychosis - Yahoo Finance - May 4th, 2020
- New and expectant mums experiencing mental health difficulties urged to reach out for support during the COVID-19 crisis - Deeside.com - May 4th, 2020
- How to manage your mental health in long periods of self-isolation - Gulf Today - May 4th, 2020
- Need mental health help during COVID-19? This website aims to help. - Mashable - May 4th, 2020
- For Mental Health Month: 31 Songs That Show How to Keep a Positive Outlook - Billboard - May 4th, 2020
- Solvista Health Highlights Mental Health Month with #Tools2Thrive - by Brooke Gilmore - The Ark Valley Voice - May 4th, 2020
- Covid-19: Significant inconsistencies in testing of mental health staff - The Irish Times - May 4th, 2020
- New virtual wellbeing and mental health interactive hub launches in Surrey - Surrey News - May 4th, 2020
- Judy Darcy: The unprecedented times are challenging our mental health like never before - The Province - May 4th, 2020