The treatment of mental health conditions appears to have received a boost with a recently announced research collaborationbetween digital mental health company SilverCloud Health and Microsoft Research. The partnership was designed to further step up the formers online offering with artificial intelligence.
A little background: During the past 18 months, the two have worked in tandem on research that marries Microsofts machine learning and AI technologies with SilverCloud, which specializes in the digital delivery of evidence-based mental healthcare to improve outcomes.
Ken Cahill, CEO of Boston based SilverCloud, said the technology enables very tailored support to each patient; meaning more responsive and reactive care. He called that process a big departure from existing digital delivery thats generic or a one-size-fits-all approach and doesnt accommodate for factors such as behavior, engagement, and effectiveness.
SilverClouds digital mental health platform is globally deployed in routine clinical care providing coverage to 65 million people, Cahill noted. Since 2012, more than one million hours of therapy have been delivered.
Our (model) encourages patients to be more active (in the care) instead of a backseat spectator. Were all individuals with unique challenges and underlying issues, noted Cahill. He added that the goal of the AI collaboration with Microsoft is to provide personalized mental health care which will hopfeully improve mental healthcare outcomes globally.
Artificial intelligence necessarily evokes the feeling of machines doing the work that humans did, soCahill emphasized that SilverCloud views itself as an extender not a clinician replacer.
In other words, were working with Microsoft on ensuring what we deliver is responsive, in context and appropriate for that end user. He said that if you contemplate a users journey today, theyre accessing whats often generic care, that might be at the wrong intensity or severity level. Conversely, were delivering care much more in context and appropriate for each user.
It seems abundantly important to contemplate the impact of the condition on the population. In a given year, around one in five adults in the U.S. or 18.5 percent experiences mental illness, according to the National Alliance of Mental Health.
The National Institute of Mental Health estimates thatthere were 11.2 million adults at least 18 years of age in the U.S. with serious mental illness in 2017 accounting for 4.5 percent of all adults in the country.
NAMI showed that broken down by demographic group, the annual prevalence of the condition among U.S. adults looks like this:
Even in the glare of all that, however, NPR.org, reported that mental health coverage was being short-shifted by health insurers. In 2015, behavioral care was several times more likely to be provided out-of-network than medical or surgical care. Statistics vary significantly from state to state, the report showed. Forty-five percent of office visits for behavioral health care were out of network in New Jersey; 63 percent in Washington D.C., Milliman stated. Alarmingly, a studypublished in 2016, at $201 billion, mental disorders paced the list of the costliest conditions in the U.S. in 2013.
Against this backdrop, there are several digital health efforts being addressed toward mental health, among which is the Microsoft-SilverCloud collaboration.Artificial intelligence can help to speed up the understanding and delivery of more personalized mental healthcare. This, in turn, can lead to early interventions that can then improve clinical outcomes.
Cahill, however, was very careful to explain that patient privacy would be safeguarded.
Were only looking to utilizing machine learning and the content to ensure the right support for the clinician and coaches by giving them better access to appropriate tools at the right time, while always ensuring privacy.
Picture: Benjavisa, Getty Images
Read the rest here:
- Mental Health: Get the Facts on Common Disorders - December 7th, 2019
- Types of mental health problems | Mind, the mental health ... - December 7th, 2019
- Mental Health - New York City Department of Education - December 7th, 2019
- Adult film performers say the state of mental health in the industry needs more attention - CBS News - December 7th, 2019
- The Only Way To Eradicate Mental Illness Is To Talk About It: Insights On Brain Health From The 2019 Forbes Healthcare Summit - Forbes - December 7th, 2019
- Perfectionism is a mental health risk - Vox.com - December 7th, 2019
- Mental health-related ED visits among kids on the rise in Colorado - ModernHealthcare.com - December 7th, 2019
- Family: Moline mans mental health relapse is to blame for fire and death of family pet - WQAD Moline - December 7th, 2019
- Throne speech recognition of mental health and addiction support applauded by pan-Canadian health organizations - GlobeNewswire - December 7th, 2019
- King County-based conference provides first responders with mental health resources - KING5.com - December 7th, 2019
- Bay View Center offers understanding ear to those with mental illness | News, Sports, Jobs - Alpena News - December 7th, 2019
- How The Peloton Ad Radically Changes The Conversation About Mental Health And Being The Boss Of Your Own Life - Forbes - December 7th, 2019
- Deep Bench: The effects of holiday stress on your mental health - WSAW - December 7th, 2019
- Farmers want face-to-face talks, not hotlines, about mental health - Grand Forks Herald - December 7th, 2019
- State will pay $10M to mental health providers after suit - KRWG - December 7th, 2019
- As Impeachment Looms, 350 Mental Health Professionals Warn Congress That Nuclear-Armed Trump 'A Threat to Safety of Our Nation' - Common Dreams - December 7th, 2019
- State psychiatrist to talk psychedelics and mental health - MLive.com - December 7th, 2019
- Mental Health First Aid training to be offered to town's police officers - Riverhead News Review - December 7th, 2019
- Feeling blue in the gray? How the inversion affects mental health - KSTU FOX 13 Salt Lake City - December 7th, 2019
- Winnebago Mental Health Institute, the state's psychiatric hospital, is short more than 100 staff as it seeks another new director - Milwaukee Journal... - December 7th, 2019
- Eliminating The Stigma Around Mental Health In The Workplace - Forbes - December 7th, 2019
- One of the most overlooked consequences of climate change? Our mental health - Environmental Health News - December 7th, 2019
- ThriveNYC and N.Y. Public Library announce mental health partnership coming to Mariners Harbor - SILive.com - December 7th, 2019
- Lowcountry prison mental health officer accused of attempting to bring inmate alcohol - Live 5 News WCSC - December 7th, 2019
- Rebranding Mens Mental Health: The Trojan Horse, A Bathroom Poster And Embracing The Ands - Forbes - November 26th, 2019
- Mental health services in Lebanon: an approach focused on recovery - World Health Organization - November 26th, 2019
- How Kamala Harris will address the mental health crisis - POLITICO - November 26th, 2019
- Rent subsidies, mental health care tied to housing stability for homeless - Reuters - November 26th, 2019
- Reviewing Mental Health On Campus - wgbh.org - November 26th, 2019
- Man accused of stalking former classmate going to mental health court - KSDK.com - November 26th, 2019
- Why men's brands need to talk about men's mental health - Quartz - November 26th, 2019
- Patients Turn to CBD in Search of Relief for their Mental Health Disorders - P&T Community - November 26th, 2019
- Mental Illness Behind Bars: The hard lessons of Orleans Parish - The Lens - November 26th, 2019
- The Labyrinthine Experience of Mental Illness - The Atlantic - November 26th, 2019
- How to improve mental health awareness in education - observer-me.com - November 26th, 2019
- Addressing the mental health care gap in primary care - Contemporary Pediatrics - November 26th, 2019
- New Partners Are Worried About Mental Health and a Looming Recession | The American Lawyer - Texas Lawyer - November 26th, 2019
- People are taking disturbing action when they seek mental-health coverage - MarketWatch - November 26th, 2019
- N.H. Will Apply For Waiver To Loosen Restrictions On Medicaid Mental Health Spending - New Hampshire Public Radio - November 26th, 2019
- The Steve Fund Improves Mental Health Services for Students of Color - Diverse: Issues in Higher Education - November 26th, 2019
- Clinton High School to participate in Mental Health First Aid pilot program - WAND - November 26th, 2019
- People in mental health units need a voice. Thats why Im helping them to vote - The Guardian - November 26th, 2019
- The Genetic Link Between Asthma and Mental Health - Pulmonology Advisor - November 26th, 2019
- Deval Patricks wife, Diane, excited to lead on mental health issues as first lady - MassLive.com - November 26th, 2019
- Plaid Cymru pledges to increase mental health spending and calls for drug law reform - The Pharmaceutical Journal - November 26th, 2019
- The U.S. Military Can Lead The Way In Mental Health And Suicide Prevention - Forbes - November 26th, 2019
- Mental health coverage is getting worse as opioid overdoses and suicides rise - Axios - November 26th, 2019
- Lecturers' strike risks having a damaging effect on students with mental health problems, complaints watchdog warns - The Telegraph - November 26th, 2019
- Ontario Recognizes Outstanding Mental Health Leaders - Government of Ontario News - November 26th, 2019
- Mental health in schools - Scottish Government News - November 26th, 2019
- How I Learned To Be Thankful Even For Mental Illness - The Federalist - November 26th, 2019
- Yes, Children Need to Take Mental Health Days Too Here's Why - Healthline - November 24th, 2019
- 7 things mental health experts wish everyone knew about therapy - Business Insider - November 24th, 2019
- Mental Health Treatment Is Still Harder To Get Compared To Other Services, Report Finds - KUNC - November 24th, 2019
- How to check on family and friends' mental health - KENS5.com - November 24th, 2019
- Letter to the Editor, Nov. 24, 2019: Kahlil Pfaff on mental health - Richmond.com - November 24th, 2019
- Immigration raids are tied to worse mental health among Latinos - NBCNews.com - November 24th, 2019
- When Mental Illness Is Severe - The New York Times - November 24th, 2019
- Commentary: Bry on why mental health, drug issues must be addressed in dealing with homelessness - The San Diego Union-Tribune - November 24th, 2019
- Immigration raids tied to worse mental health among Hispanic Americans - Reuters - November 24th, 2019
- 'A good mother': Woman who attempted to kill self, baby gets mental health help over prison - Argus Leader - November 24th, 2019
- How social media affects women and their mental health - KHOU.com - November 24th, 2019
- Weekly Health Quiz: Memory, Canker Sores and Exercise for Mental Health - The New York Times - November 24th, 2019
- After death of son, Overland Park mother applauds mental health training improvements - KSHB - November 24th, 2019
- Why its so hard to force people to get mental-health treatment in Pennsylvania - The Philadelphia Inquirer - November 24th, 2019
- Mental health court coming to Midland by 2020 - Midland Daily News - November 24th, 2019
- How to spot when a loved one needs help for mental health, and how to start the conversation - KENS5.com - November 24th, 2019
- Struggling With Perceived Isolation, Many First-Gen College Students Face Mental Health Problems - wgbh.org - November 24th, 2019
- Jordyn Woods Shares Fitness and Mental Health Advice in Instagram Q&A - Life&Style Weekly - November 24th, 2019
- Top tips to look after your mental health and eliminate stress this Christmas - Mirror Online - November 24th, 2019
- Microaggressions and their role in mental illness - Harvard Gazette - November 24th, 2019
- Taking Care of Your Mental Health Is a Key Piece of the IBD Puzzle - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - November 24th, 2019
- One in four children in Germany have mental health issues - Daily Sabah - November 24th, 2019
- Sophie Molineux takes break from WBBL to focus on mental health - The Guardian - November 24th, 2019
- Mens Mental Health: Start the conversation and stop suicide - KAIT - November 24th, 2019
- There's a shortage of youth mental health services in Belle Haven. A new community collaborative hopes to change that. - The Almanac Online - November 24th, 2019
- Multnomah County's Director of Mental Health and Addiction Services is ready to rebuild a department that's been under fire - KGW.com - November 24th, 2019
- I've Hidden My Mental Illness From Those I Love Most. Here's Why. - HuffPost - November 24th, 2019
- Residents Demand Action on Abandoned Mental Health Facility In Tinley Park - NBC Chicago - November 24th, 2019
- Veteran mental health key part of pledge signing - VAntage Point Blog - November 14th, 2019