Several employees at the Jerome Golden Center for Behavioral Health are unsure of the status of their jobs.
As many as 263 workers at a faltering West Palm Beach mental health hospital arent sure whether they have jobs.
Amid financial struggles, the Jerome Golden Center for Behavioral Health isnt accepting new patients and has discontinued most of its programs, but it hasnt notified many of its 347 employees whether they are laid off.
Many employees say they arent scheduled to work and are unsure if or when theyll return.
Its been like this for weeks, said one employee who got notice last Thursday that she was laid off, while some of her colleagues still are waiting to hear from management. I feel like Im on a lifeboat and Im watching the Titanic sink.
The Golden Center in September filed for bankruptcy protection, revealing years of financial struggles. Since the bankruptcy filing, the center has relinquished management of its 44-bed facility to South County Mental Health Center in Delray Beach.
The center closed half of its beds and isnt accepting new patients. They were treating just nine as of Tuesday, said South County Chief Executive Officer Joe Speicher.
The Golden Center, on 45th Street near St. Marys Medical Center, withdrew its bankruptcy filing on Oct. 8 to entertain offers from for-profit companies interested in buying the hospital.
But officials from the Golden Center, a critical facility for low-income or uninsured patients in central and northern Palm Beach County, havent publicly said how many employees are laid off.
Those who arent scheduled to work say their puzzling employment status prevents them from getting severance or state unemployment pay.
A lot of people are afraid theyve lost their jobs, but that the center did it in a sneaky way: by taking us off the schedule, said Christine America, a registered nurse who has worked at the center for two years. As far as Jerome Golden saying, 'Sorry, you dont have a job, or giving pink slips, I havent heard a thing.
Even the agency that oversees the Golden Center, Southeast Florida Behavioral Health Network, and South County Mental Health say they arent sure how many employees have been laid off.
The Golden Center has that information but hasnt shared it, said officials from both Southeast Behavioral and South County Mental Health.
None of us know the ramification of this yet, Speicher said.
South County hired 50 of the Golden Centers employees to help slowly reopen the hospital, Speicher said.
Thirty-four workers were laid off shortly after the bankruptcy filing.
The center hasnt commented on the status of the other 263 employees. Chairman of the Golden Center board, Jimmy Miller, and interim Chief Executive Officer David Light could not be reached by phone Wednesday.
In an Oct. 10 email to staff, provided to The Palm Beach Post by an employee, Miller wrote that all workers except for a small group of employees who have already been identified to help wind down the center were laid off that day. The email said staffers would get a letter from human resources with information.
But several employees say they havent gotten letters.
Some of the workers were hired by outside agencies, like South County or Legacy Health, contracted to take over the Golden Centers case management, employees told The Post.
Please understand that the center has been doing everything it can to try and avoid this situation, and we understand how upsetting this is, Miller wrote in the email. We ask you to please continue to act professionally as we all begin to heal and move forward.
The former chief executive officer, Linda De Piano, announced her retirement shortly after the bankruptcy filing. She earned $228,000 in 2017, the centers tax filings show.
The centers chief medical officer, Suresh Rajpara, earned $408,000 that year. Rajpara suggested in early October that he might resign, Miller told The Post on Oct. 3.
The center blamed its financial state on years of losses. The Golden Center just ran out of money, Miller said.
The bankruptcy filing came just a month after the centers Chief Financial Officer Alan Heide pleaded guilty to a federal charge of conspiracy to commit securities fraud for a payday loan scheme.
Heide abruptly resigned in August, two weeks before he was indicted for his role in a Ponzi scheme that federal prosecutors say bilked at least $50 million from investors.
Heides indictment prompted the Golden Center board to scrutinize its finances. Thats when board members learned how deeply in debt the center was, Miller told The Post in an Oct. 3 interview.
Heide misrepresented the centers financial health in monthly reports to the board, Miller said. Despite this and Heides financial crimes, the center hasnt hired a forensic accountant to examine transactions and bank statements to find out whether fraud played a role in its financial state.
Paying a forensic accountant would be too costly, Miller said.
The center was operating on a $2 million a year deficit, according to The Posts review of the Golden Centers tax filings and annual financial audits.
- Mental Health: Get the Facts on Common Disorders - December 7th, 2019
- Types of mental health problems | Mind, the mental health ... - December 7th, 2019
- Mental Health - New York City Department of Education - December 7th, 2019
- Adult film performers say the state of mental health in the industry needs more attention - CBS News - December 7th, 2019
- The Only Way To Eradicate Mental Illness Is To Talk About It: Insights On Brain Health From The 2019 Forbes Healthcare Summit - Forbes - December 7th, 2019
- Perfectionism is a mental health risk - Vox.com - December 7th, 2019
- Mental health-related ED visits among kids on the rise in Colorado - ModernHealthcare.com - December 7th, 2019
- Family: Moline mans mental health relapse is to blame for fire and death of family pet - WQAD Moline - December 7th, 2019
- Throne speech recognition of mental health and addiction support applauded by pan-Canadian health organizations - GlobeNewswire - December 7th, 2019
- King County-based conference provides first responders with mental health resources - KING5.com - December 7th, 2019
- Bay View Center offers understanding ear to those with mental illness | News, Sports, Jobs - Alpena News - December 7th, 2019
- How The Peloton Ad Radically Changes The Conversation About Mental Health And Being The Boss Of Your Own Life - Forbes - December 7th, 2019
- Deep Bench: The effects of holiday stress on your mental health - WSAW - December 7th, 2019
- Farmers want face-to-face talks, not hotlines, about mental health - Grand Forks Herald - December 7th, 2019
- State will pay $10M to mental health providers after suit - KRWG - December 7th, 2019
- As Impeachment Looms, 350 Mental Health Professionals Warn Congress That Nuclear-Armed Trump 'A Threat to Safety of Our Nation' - Common Dreams - December 7th, 2019
- State psychiatrist to talk psychedelics and mental health - MLive.com - December 7th, 2019
- Mental Health First Aid training to be offered to town's police officers - Riverhead News Review - December 7th, 2019
- Feeling blue in the gray? How the inversion affects mental health - KSTU FOX 13 Salt Lake City - December 7th, 2019
- Winnebago Mental Health Institute, the state's psychiatric hospital, is short more than 100 staff as it seeks another new director - Milwaukee Journal... - December 7th, 2019
- Eliminating The Stigma Around Mental Health In The Workplace - Forbes - December 7th, 2019
- One of the most overlooked consequences of climate change? Our mental health - Environmental Health News - December 7th, 2019
- ThriveNYC and N.Y. Public Library announce mental health partnership coming to Mariners Harbor - SILive.com - December 7th, 2019
- Lowcountry prison mental health officer accused of attempting to bring inmate alcohol - Live 5 News WCSC - December 7th, 2019
- Rebranding Mens Mental Health: The Trojan Horse, A Bathroom Poster And Embracing The Ands - Forbes - November 26th, 2019
- Mental health services in Lebanon: an approach focused on recovery - World Health Organization - November 26th, 2019
- How Kamala Harris will address the mental health crisis - POLITICO - November 26th, 2019
- Rent subsidies, mental health care tied to housing stability for homeless - Reuters - November 26th, 2019
- Reviewing Mental Health On Campus - wgbh.org - November 26th, 2019
- Man accused of stalking former classmate going to mental health court - KSDK.com - November 26th, 2019
- Why men's brands need to talk about men's mental health - Quartz - November 26th, 2019
- Patients Turn to CBD in Search of Relief for their Mental Health Disorders - P&T Community - November 26th, 2019
- Mental Illness Behind Bars: The hard lessons of Orleans Parish - The Lens - November 26th, 2019
- The Labyrinthine Experience of Mental Illness - The Atlantic - November 26th, 2019
- How to improve mental health awareness in education - observer-me.com - November 26th, 2019
- Addressing the mental health care gap in primary care - Contemporary Pediatrics - November 26th, 2019
- New Partners Are Worried About Mental Health and a Looming Recession | The American Lawyer - Texas Lawyer - November 26th, 2019
- People are taking disturbing action when they seek mental-health coverage - MarketWatch - November 26th, 2019
- N.H. Will Apply For Waiver To Loosen Restrictions On Medicaid Mental Health Spending - New Hampshire Public Radio - November 26th, 2019
- The Steve Fund Improves Mental Health Services for Students of Color - Diverse: Issues in Higher Education - November 26th, 2019
- Clinton High School to participate in Mental Health First Aid pilot program - WAND - November 26th, 2019
- People in mental health units need a voice. Thats why Im helping them to vote - The Guardian - November 26th, 2019
- The Genetic Link Between Asthma and Mental Health - Pulmonology Advisor - November 26th, 2019
- Deval Patricks wife, Diane, excited to lead on mental health issues as first lady - MassLive.com - November 26th, 2019
- Plaid Cymru pledges to increase mental health spending and calls for drug law reform - The Pharmaceutical Journal - November 26th, 2019
- The U.S. Military Can Lead The Way In Mental Health And Suicide Prevention - Forbes - November 26th, 2019
- Mental health coverage is getting worse as opioid overdoses and suicides rise - Axios - November 26th, 2019
- Lecturers' strike risks having a damaging effect on students with mental health problems, complaints watchdog warns - The Telegraph - November 26th, 2019
- Ontario Recognizes Outstanding Mental Health Leaders - Government of Ontario News - November 26th, 2019
- Mental health in schools - Scottish Government News - November 26th, 2019
- How I Learned To Be Thankful Even For Mental Illness - The Federalist - November 26th, 2019
- Yes, Children Need to Take Mental Health Days Too Here's Why - Healthline - November 24th, 2019
- 7 things mental health experts wish everyone knew about therapy - Business Insider - November 24th, 2019
- Mental Health Treatment Is Still Harder To Get Compared To Other Services, Report Finds - KUNC - November 24th, 2019
- How to check on family and friends' mental health - KENS5.com - November 24th, 2019
- Letter to the Editor, Nov. 24, 2019: Kahlil Pfaff on mental health - Richmond.com - November 24th, 2019
- Immigration raids are tied to worse mental health among Latinos - NBCNews.com - November 24th, 2019
- When Mental Illness Is Severe - The New York Times - November 24th, 2019
- Commentary: Bry on why mental health, drug issues must be addressed in dealing with homelessness - The San Diego Union-Tribune - November 24th, 2019
- Immigration raids tied to worse mental health among Hispanic Americans - Reuters - November 24th, 2019
- 'A good mother': Woman who attempted to kill self, baby gets mental health help over prison - Argus Leader - November 24th, 2019
- How social media affects women and their mental health - KHOU.com - November 24th, 2019
- Weekly Health Quiz: Memory, Canker Sores and Exercise for Mental Health - The New York Times - November 24th, 2019
- After death of son, Overland Park mother applauds mental health training improvements - KSHB - November 24th, 2019
- Why its so hard to force people to get mental-health treatment in Pennsylvania - The Philadelphia Inquirer - November 24th, 2019
- Mental health court coming to Midland by 2020 - Midland Daily News - November 24th, 2019
- How to spot when a loved one needs help for mental health, and how to start the conversation - KENS5.com - November 24th, 2019
- Struggling With Perceived Isolation, Many First-Gen College Students Face Mental Health Problems - wgbh.org - November 24th, 2019
- Jordyn Woods Shares Fitness and Mental Health Advice in Instagram Q&A - Life&Style Weekly - November 24th, 2019
- Top tips to look after your mental health and eliminate stress this Christmas - Mirror Online - November 24th, 2019
- Microaggressions and their role in mental illness - Harvard Gazette - November 24th, 2019
- Taking Care of Your Mental Health Is a Key Piece of the IBD Puzzle - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - November 24th, 2019
- One in four children in Germany have mental health issues - Daily Sabah - November 24th, 2019
- Sophie Molineux takes break from WBBL to focus on mental health - The Guardian - November 24th, 2019
- Mens Mental Health: Start the conversation and stop suicide - KAIT - November 24th, 2019
- There's a shortage of youth mental health services in Belle Haven. A new community collaborative hopes to change that. - The Almanac Online - November 24th, 2019
- Multnomah County's Director of Mental Health and Addiction Services is ready to rebuild a department that's been under fire - KGW.com - November 24th, 2019
- I've Hidden My Mental Illness From Those I Love Most. Here's Why. - HuffPost - November 24th, 2019
- Residents Demand Action on Abandoned Mental Health Facility In Tinley Park - NBC Chicago - November 24th, 2019
- Veteran mental health key part of pledge signing - VAntage Point Blog - November 14th, 2019