Medical technology concept. Medical instruments.
The healthcare industry has always been a leader in innovation. The constant mutating of diseases and viruses makes it difficult to stay ahead of the curve, but with the help of artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms, it continues to advance, creating new treatments and helping people live longer and healthier lives.
A study published this week by The Lancet Digital Health compared the performance of deep learninga form of artificial intelligence (AI)in detecting diseases from medical imaging versus that of healthcare professionals, using a sample of studies carried out between 2012 and 2019.
The study found that, in the past few years, AI has become more accurate of identifying disease diagnosis in these images and has become a more viable source of diagnostic information. According to the researchers, out of 14 studies that compared deep learning models and healthcare professionals within the same sample, the diagnostic performances were found to be equivalent.
With advances in AI, deep learning may become even more efficient in identifying diagnosis in the next few years.
AI applications in the field of healthcare arent just limited to diagnosing a disease, they also include its possible treatment.
Pharmaceutical company Bayer has recently been working with tech companies to create software to help diagnose complex and rare conditions and help develop new drugs to treat these diseases. They have been working in partnership with hospitals and researchers to determine what the machine learning needs to analyze to learn how to diagnose a patients medical condition. The information that the AI is absorbing comes from a number of factors from symptom data, disease causes, test results, medical images, doctor reports and more.
We can model how it will behave in a cell in combination with other drugs the patients might be taking. Were looking at how we can identify the right patients and sites to run our clinical trials. We would be able to run shorter studies and show where the medication is the right one for those patients earlier, Angeli Moeller, who heads artificial intelligence projects at Bayer, explained to the Associated Press.
The machine learning systems are not to replace doctors or make absolute decisions in a patients treatment. According to Moeller, they still want the patient to have control over their treatments and want to use the artificial intelligence to support decisions and make recommendations based on the findings.
Bayer is not the only company making waves in healthcare with AI. There are many other startup companies that are tackling AI treatment options for disease. According to BenchScislatest report ,there are currently 148 startups using artificial intelligence in drug discovery.
One of those startups, Atomwise, just partnered with Jiangsu Hansoh Pharmaceutical Group in a $1.5 billion dollar joint-venture operation to collaborate on designing new drugs for cancer treatments.
The partnership combines Atomwises artificial intelligence technology with Hansoh Pharmas manufacturing capabilities in order to work together to design new ways to predict how a small molecule will bind to a target protein and hopefully lead to new advancements in medical treatments. These joint-ventures are promising as it combines two essential elements for advancements in both machine learning and medical device innovation.
A Canadian biotech company, Deep Genomics, has been experimenting with machine learning and drug development for the past 5 years. Specifically they have been testing different treatments for a rare genetic disorder named Wilson Disease that currently has no treatments on the market. The disease prevents the body from removing copper that eventually builds up in the organs and can cause life-threatening organ damage and sometimes failure.
Deep Genomics artificial intelligence system discovered that the mutation changes an amino acid in ATP7B, a copper-binding protein that is absent in Wilson patients, and causes a disruption in the genome that causes that protein not to be produced. They are currently testing their drug on their first candidate in the study and hopeful this will be successful in treating the disease.
As of today, there are not any drug treatments on the market that were created by AI, but many companies are working hard to see that happen soon. The collection of patient data and testing will continue to drive advancements forward, and while these are great strides in the advancements of artificial intelligence working with medical professionals to save lives, it is far from being mainstream.
Its probably going to take two years before it really hits mainstream medical practice. Getting the technology to the patient is still the hard part, Moeller to the AP.
- Can you trust mHealth apps? Why transparency is a must - American Medical Association - November 18th, 2019
- Nisonic Demonstrates Automatic Measurements of Optic Nerve Sheath Diameter as a Marker for Increased Intracranial Pressure Using Transorbital... - November 18th, 2019
- How Is Nanotech Reshaping the Medical Technology Sector? - Medical Tech Outlook - November 18th, 2019
- David Crais of CMG Carealytics Invited to NASA Cross Industry Innovation Summit - Benzinga - November 18th, 2019
- Shadowless Lamps Market will be grow in the upcoming year with players Greetmed, Aeomed, Mindray, BenQ Medical Technology - Daily Market Insight - November 18th, 2019
- Global Oxygen Regulator Market Insights Report 2019-2025 : Precision Medical, Harris, Essex Industries, Acare Technology - Industry News Time 24 - November 18th, 2019
- Research Roundup: Peanut allergies, heart disease treatments and wearable technology - The Stanford Daily - November 18th, 2019
- Private health insurers accused of lying about costs to raise premiums - 7NEWS - November 18th, 2019
- Title Wearable technology in healthcare: What are the leading themes? - Medical Device Network - November 18th, 2019
- ITM and CIRC Sign Technology License Agreement for the Production and Distribution of Medical Radioisotopes in China - Business Wire - November 18th, 2019
- Freudenberg Medical Achieves Break-through in Measurement Technology for Silicone Tubes with Helix iMC - Business Wire - November 12th, 2019
- Bridging the gap: Using technology to maintain patient contact - Medical Economics - November 12th, 2019
- Want to know your mental health status? There's an app for that - CU Boulder Today - November 12th, 2019
- Gets Its Catalyst And Trades Up::Creative Medical Technology Holdings Inc, (OTC US:CELZ) - News Planets - November 12th, 2019
- The Russian Military Will Soon Assign Soldiers Based on Their "Genetic Passports" - The National Interest Online - November 12th, 2019
- Hospital Furnitures Market Strategic Insights 2019 with analysis of Leading players: Stryker, Bio Medical Solutions, GPC Medical, Chang Gung Medical... - November 12th, 2019
- Is Computer-Vision the New Ground-Breaking Technology in the... - Medical Tech Outlook - November 12th, 2019
- BD Submits Pre-Market Approval Supplement to FDA for BD Onclarity HPV Test with Extended Genotyping Capabilities - PRNewswire - November 12th, 2019
- Rumor Claims Olympus will Shut Down Its Camera Division Within a Year - PetaPixel - November 12th, 2019
- InVivo Therapeutics Announces Appointment of Robert Rosenthal to Board of Directors - OrthoSpineNews - November 12th, 2019
- Global Cardiology Information System (CIS) Market Key Players and Share by 2025| CREALIFE Medical Technology and others - Market News Reports - November 12th, 2019
- How to have the right sensor for your medical IoT job - Medical Design & Outsourcing - November 12th, 2019
- Synaptive Ventures To the Spinal Surgery Market with Modus V - Medical Tech Outlook - November 12th, 2019
- Why DuPont will be at both Medica and Compamed - Medical Plastics News - November 12th, 2019
- Insights from Cathy Burzik's 40 years in the healthcare industry - Medical Design & Outsourcing - November 10th, 2019
- New Stanford hospital to open one week from today - Scope - November 10th, 2019
- Community Bank of Raymore Takes Position in Stryker Co. (NYSE:SYK) - Polson News - November 10th, 2019
- Cannabis industry is drawing big-name investors in R.I. - The Providence Journal - November 10th, 2019
- Avita Medical share price on watch after being added to the ASX 200 - Yahoo Finance - November 10th, 2019
- Head to Head Survey: Apyx Medical (NASDAQ:APYX) and AdvanSource Biomaterials Corpration (NASDAQ:ASNB) - Riverton Roll - November 10th, 2019
- Why Medicine Needs a New Hippocratic Oathand What It Should Be - Singularity Hub - November 8th, 2019
- Global SMT Equipment Market 2019-2023: Progression in Self-Driven Cars, Growth in Medical Technology, Increasing Smart Home Spending, Budding... - November 8th, 2019
- How Is the Medical Industry Using Deep Learning? - Business.com - November 8th, 2019
- Latest trends in medical monitoring devices and wearable health technology - Business Insider India - November 8th, 2019
- American Headache Society Publishes Article Demonstrating the Promise of Remote Electrical Neuromodulation (REN) as First-Line Treatment for Acute... - November 8th, 2019
- Townsen Memorial Clinics Now Open in Houston and Humble - PR Web - November 8th, 2019
- Compamed 2019: Everything you need to know - Medical Plastics News - November 8th, 2019
- CannGoods bridging the gap between hemp growers and off-take customers with its new tech - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - November 8th, 2019
- Conformis Announces FDA Clearance and Full Commercial Launch of Next Generation Hip System at the 2019 AAHKS Conference - OrthoSpineNews - November 8th, 2019
- EMMAC Life Sciences expanding on its medical cannabis acquisitions in London, Portugal, and Spain - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - November 8th, 2019
- A snapshot of the global patent landscape in eight charts - IAM - November 8th, 2019
- Olympus Now the Exclusive Distributor of the RocaFlow Pump and Tubing Sets - The Reporter - November 5th, 2019
- Adam Ferrari Highlights the Treatments and Medical Technology for Spinal Injuries utilized by Next Steps of Chicago - PRUnderground - November 5th, 2019
- Axonics Responds to Patent Action by Medtronic - Business Wire - November 5th, 2019
- Four-Year Data From the IN.PACT Global Study Highlight Durable Performance and Safety of IN.PACT Admiral DCB - Vascular Disease Management - November 5th, 2019
- The 10 Luxury Wellness Escapes You'll Want to Book for 2020 - TownandCountrymag.com - November 5th, 2019
- Detection Technology Awarded ISO 13485-2016 Certification for Medical Flat Panel Detectors - Imaging Technology News - November 5th, 2019
- Europe Pacemakers Market to 2027 - Regional Analysis and Forecasts By Product Type, Technology, End User, and Country - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - November 5th, 2019
- Cardiac Monitoring (CM) & Cardiac Rhythm Management (CRM) Devices Market Opportunities to 2024 - World Market Projected to Exceed $25 Billion by... - November 5th, 2019
- RAD Technology Medical Systems Collaborates with Vanguard Healthcare Solutions to Bring Mobile Radiotherapy to Europe - P&T Community - November 5th, 2019
- Misonix to Participate in Three Upcoming Investor Conferences - Associated Press - November 5th, 2019
- NYC Marathon Runners Turning To Intensive Medical Technology To Reach Peak Performance - CBS New York - October 28th, 2019
- Judge to hear motion aiming to temporarily shut down Newton County plant - CBS46 News Atlanta - October 28th, 2019
- 3Ms Shares Could Cross $200 Next Year Thanks To Acelity Acquisition - Forbes - October 28th, 2019
- Neuronetics and Success TMS Partner to Increase Patient Access to Leading Depression Treatment, NeuroStar Advanced Therapy - The Courier-Express - October 28th, 2019
- Medical Device Security Market Growth Analysis 2019 to Share Key Aspects of the Industry with the details of Influence Factors Forecast to 2024 -... - October 28th, 2019
- Where Are The Medical CIOs Investing? - Medical Tech Outlook - October 28th, 2019
- What We Know About the Man Accused of Stabbing His Mother to Death in a Plainville Kitchen - NBC10 Boston - October 28th, 2019
- Medical billing is a nightmare, but start-up Ooda is working to make it way easier, and some insurers are optimistic - CNBC - October 28th, 2019
- 10 Medical Advances That Will Shape the Future of Healthcare - Discover Magazine - October 28th, 2019
- OraSure simplifies medical testing worldwide. Why the CEO says theyre still based in Bethlehem. - lehighvalleylive.com - October 28th, 2019
- The real horror this Halloween is the FDA's drug approval process | TheHill - The Hill - October 28th, 2019
- These Apps Say You May Have a Health Disorder. What if Theyre Wrong? - The New York Times - October 28th, 2019
- Private health insurers say cost of medical devices putting pressure on premiums - The Guardian - October 28th, 2019
- Misonix to Report Fiscal 2020 First Quarter Financial Results and Host Conference Call and Webcast on November 7 - GlobeNewswire - October 28th, 2019
- GTX merges with NeuroRecovery Technologies to form GTX medical BV - Medical Device Network - October 28th, 2019
- The Future of Proton Beam Therapy - Nature World News - October 28th, 2019
- X-Ray Detectors Market Report Extensive Analysis 2019 | Specified by Production, Technology, Competition, and Revenue Forecast till 2024 - Elamal News - October 28th, 2019
- PhenoMx executes MOU to develop strategic initiatives for Thailand's biotech, life sciences and medical industries - The New Economy - October 28th, 2019
- Why collaboration is key for the medtech industry to deliver life-saving innovations - create digital - October 28th, 2019
- Members Move Medicine: Tackling the underlying barriers to care - American Medical Association - October 28th, 2019
- Microspheres Market 2019 | Remarkable Growth Factors with Industry Size & Share, New Innovations of Leading Players & Forecast till 2024 -... - October 28th, 2019
- Safe Orthopaedics Announces the Approvals of SteriSpine LC and CC in Japan - Business Wire - October 28th, 2019
- Axonics Broadens EU Commercial Footprint with Recommendation for Reimbursement in France and Supply Contract in Norway - Business Wire - October 7th, 2019
- Medtronic Initiates Worldwide Pivotal Study of a New Approach to Treating Dangerously Fast Heart Rhythms - GlobeNewswire - October 7th, 2019
- TE Connectivity Collaborates With Hanhaa and Avnet to Advance Smart Tracking - PRNewswire - October 7th, 2019
- CONMED Corporation to Announce Third Quarter 2019 Financial Results on October 30, 2019 - BioSpace - October 7th, 2019
- UI graduate student works to commercialize drug that prevents osteoarthritis - UI The Daily Iowan - October 7th, 2019
- Medical Technologist Job in Multiple Locations - Department of the Air Force - LemonWire - October 7th, 2019
- Artificial Joints Market Research and New Innovations in Medical Sector 2019 to 2025 - The Chicago Sentinel - October 7th, 2019