Medical technologists are one of many exciting and rewarding medical laboratory careers. According to the American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP), medical technologists perform a variety of tasks including everything from simple pre-marital blood tests, to more complex tests to uncover diseases such as HIV/AIDS, diabetes, and cancer.
Although medical technologists do not often interact directly with patients, the work completed by medical technologists directly impacts patients lives. Physicians rely on the information provided by medical technologists to determine the diagnosis and treatment of their patients.
Also known as Clinical Laboratory Scientists (CLS), medical technologists operate complex electronic equipment, computers, and precision instruments. This equipment, such as high-powered microscopes, and cell counters, is often worth millions of dollars. Therefore, the medical technologist must be savvy with technology as well as in science.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, (BLS), medical technologists analyze specimens of human blood and tissue under a microscope to look for bacteria, parasites, cancerous cells, or other microorganisms. They match blood for transfusions, check blood levels for chemicals, drugs, or other factors. Additionally, medical technologists evaluate test results, develop and modify procedures, and establish and monitor programs, to ensure the accuracy of tests.
A medical technologist career requires at least a bachelors degree, preferably in a scientific field. Additionally, the completion of an accredited medical technologist program is also required. The program must be accredited by the National Accrediting Agency of Clinical Laboratory Science (NAA-CLS).
To prepare for a career in medical technology, you can start in high school, by studying hard to excel in key subjects such as biology, chemistry, math, and computer sciences, according to the ASCP.
You can major in a related subject to obtain a bachelors degree in an applicable science such as biology, microbiology or biochemistry. After completion of your undergraduate degree, the clinical and technical training in a medical technology program will further prepare you for a successful lab career as a medical technologist.
If you are seeking a similar career that does not require a bachelors degree, you may want to consider a career as a Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT).
For optimum success, medical technologists should become certified in their field after completing all of the educational and training requirements. The ASCP offers a national certification exam that should be renewed every three years. This certifies that you are proficient in your field and allows you to use the initials MT(ASCP) after your name.
The median (mid-point) annual salary for Medical Technologists is about $60,520 according to the most recent data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), visited July 2016. The top 10% of earners among medical technologists earned $84,300, according to the BLS.
Medical technologists can work in a variety of settings, including labs in hospitals, clinics, public health institutions, universities, or commercial independent laboratories.
Medical technologists are in extremely high demand, according to the ASCP. While there is a shortage in all medical laboratory careers, medical technologists have the highest vacancy rate of all lab careers, at 10.4%.
- Why some Covid-19 patients with low oxygen level breathe well - ETHealthworld.com - July 5th, 2020
- Blood test can predict severity of Covid-19: Study - ETHealthworld.com - July 5th, 2020
- How To Become A Medical Technologist - Salary, Training ... - July 3rd, 2020
- EDAP Appoints Medical Technology Executive Marie Meynadier to its Board of Directors - GlobeNewswire - July 3rd, 2020
- Testing the Limits of Medical Technology - Medscape - July 3rd, 2020
- Korea to invest 2.8 trillion in promoting bio-health sector - Korea Biomedical Review - July 3rd, 2020
- 18 Healthcare Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality Companies to Watch - HIT Consultant - July 3rd, 2020
- Medical Tube Feed Pumps Market Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast To 2020-2026| Fresenius Kabi, Cardinal Health, Avanos Medical,... - July 3rd, 2020
- How to Make Remote Monitoring Tech Part of Everyday Health Care - Harvard Business Review - July 3rd, 2020
- The nebulizer market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 7% during the period 20192025 - GlobeNewswire - July 3rd, 2020
- Trending News: COVID-19 Impact ON Interventional Fluoroscopy Systems Market Size and CAGR by Regional Forecast by | EMD Medical Technologies, GE... - July 3rd, 2020
- Global Covid-19 impact on Total Ankle Replacement Market Key Drivers, Key Countries, Regional Landscape and Share Analysis by 2025| Integra... - July 3rd, 2020
- The telehealth market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 28% during the period 20192025 - Financialbuzz.com - July 3rd, 2020
- Usono improves ultrasound in the sports world: 'New market and way of working make for a promising future' - Innovation Origins - July 3rd, 2020
- Trending: Contrast Agent Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures With Forecasts Growth by 2026 | Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals,... - July 3rd, 2020
- Direct Energy Medical Devices Market will touch a new level in upcoming year with Top Key Players like Aesthera Corporation, Palomar Medical... - July 3rd, 2020
- Victoria Reggie Kennedy Appointed to Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce Board - PR Web - July 3rd, 2020
- Centesis Catheters Market by Technology, Application & Geography Analysis & Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 3rd, 2020
- Medical Imaging Diagnosis Market Study for 2020 to 2026 Providing Information on Key Players, Growth Drivers and Industry Challenges|GE Healthcare,... - July 3rd, 2020
- Pembrokeshire medical technology company assisting in the fight against coronavirus - Wales247 - July 3rd, 2020
- Deep01 Closes Fundraising Led by ASUS and Received the First Purchase Order of Their AI-Based Medical Device in Taiwan - PRNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- Vacuum Cupping Market Comprehensive Insights 2020 to 2026: Kangzhu, Hwato, BeiJing GuoYiYan Medical Technology and Medical Instrument CO., LTD - Cole... - June 24th, 2020
- World Market for Medical Sensors to 2027 and the Impact of Covid-19 - GlobeNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- Laidlaw Venture Partners Continues Strategic Growth with Addition of Jeff Conroy and George Serafin to its Board of Advisors - cnweekly - June 24th, 2020
- How Adopting Factory of the Future Technology Will Help in Medical... - Medical Tech Outlook - June 24th, 2020
- N95 Face Masks Get Pathogen Killing Technology with Addition of New UVC Medical Device - HospiMedica - June 24th, 2020
- This New App Analyzes Your Voice Quality To Diagnose Congestive Heart Failure: Can It Help With Covid-19? - Forbes - June 24th, 2020
- Hospital Furnitures Market | Covid-19 Impact | Demand, Cost Structures, Latest trends, and Forecasts to 2026 | Stryker, Bio Medical Solutions, GPC... - June 24th, 2020
- Securing best distributor is key to commercialisation in the medical field - Small Caps - June 24th, 2020
- MWE receives 1.45m loan to help fight COVID-19 - Med-Tech Innovation - June 24th, 2020
- Immigration Advice Service: the limits of technology in healthcare - Health Europa - June 24th, 2020
- Capillary Blood Collection Devices Market to See Booming Ahead | Global Players are Radiometer Medical ApS, Sarstedt AG & Co, Becton, Dickinson... - June 24th, 2020
- Spine Biologics Market 2020: Challenges, Growth, Types, Applications, Revenue, Insights, Growth Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast- 2025 - Cole... - June 24th, 2020
- Biocept reaches deal to cover out-of-network patients for its liquid biopsy tests - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - June 24th, 2020
- Global Medical Device Software Testing Services Market 2020: Which technology is expected to trend higher? - 3rd Watch News - June 24th, 2020
- Global Medical Imaging Information System Market 2020 Trends, Industry Size, Share, Technology Demand, Growth Drivers and 2026 Forecast Overview -... - June 24th, 2020
- Securing Medical Technology in the Age of COVID-19 - Infosecurity Magazine - June 5th, 2020
- Lumenis MOSES Technology Wins 2020 MedTech Breakthrough Award for Innovation in Surgical Technology - Yahoo Finance - June 5th, 2020
- BioSig Technologies's PURE EP System to be Presented in Heart Rhythm Society 2020 Science Sessions - GlobeNewswire - June 5th, 2020
- The European Medical Device market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 4.7 % between 2020 and 2025. - PRNewswire - June 5th, 2020
- Do OTAs need more regulation? - Washington Technology - June 5th, 2020
- Neuronetics to Present at the William Blair 40th Annual Growth Stock Conference - GlobeNewswire - June 5th, 2020
- 2020 Assessment of the Infectious Diseases Diagnostics Market and Impact of COVID-19 - Growing Number of COVID-19 Tests, Rise in Adoption of AI in... - June 5th, 2020
- Medical Central Gas Station Market Global Insights and Trends to 2026 | Medicoengineering doo, zmc Medical Devices and Medical Gas Systems, INSPITAL... - June 5th, 2020
- Rockford Psychiatric Medical Services provides positive feedback on the use of Nexstim NBT system with theta burst protocol for treatment of... - June 5th, 2020
- Impact of Corona on Medical Ceramics Market : How much will be the total production? - Cole of Duty - June 5th, 2020
- Digital Health Market is Likely to Exhibit Significant CAGR; Rising Popularity of Real-time Solutions will Promote Growth says Fortune Business... - June 5th, 2020
- Lakehead researchers teaming with high-tech firm on medical scheduling software - Northern Ontario Business - June 5th, 2020
- Soft Tissue Market: In-Depth Industry Analysis and Trends Analysis till 2030 - Cole of Duty - June 5th, 2020
- Bioresorbable Scaffold Market 2020 | Know the Latest COVID19 Impact Analysis And Strategies of Key Players: L-3 Communications Holdings, Inc., Hr... - June 5th, 2020
- Top 5 Major End User industries will boost the growth of Smart Pills Technology Market - Cole of Duty - June 5th, 2020
- Medical Tourism Market 2020 Latest Trending Technology, Growing Demand, Application, Types, Services, Regional Analysis and Forecast to 2025 - Cole of... - June 5th, 2020
- Hysteroscopic Endometrial Resection Procedures Market Trends Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Shares, Growth Opportunities, Statistics & Forecast to... - June 5th, 2020
- Amid the COVID-19 crisis and the looming economic recession, the Mannequin-Based Simulation market worldwide will grow by a projected US$3.7 Billion,... - June 5th, 2020
- The Ten Hottest Medical Technologies in 2019 - May 13th, 2020
- Technology engineered at ASU 50 years ago helps battle COVID-19 - ASU Now - May 13th, 2020
- Enhancing recovery: the rise of medical technology in sport - Medical Device Network - May 13th, 2020
- U.S. Officials: Beware Of China And Others Trying To Steal COVID-19 Research - NPR - May 13th, 2020
- How is the pandemic changing investments in HR tech? - Human Resource Executive - May 13th, 2020
- Global Hospital Beds Market (2020 to 2025) - Outlook and Forecast - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 13th, 2020
- Safe Orthopaedics Announces the Registration of Several Trademarks in Japan - OrthoSpineNews - May 13th, 2020
- Brian Wagner: We need leadership to protect us - Loveland Reporter-Herald - May 13th, 2020
- Scientists are racing to design a face mask that can rip coronavirus apart - Fast Company - May 13th, 2020
- Medical Disinfection and Sterilization Equipment Market Valuation 2020 | Key Trends, Growth Drivers, In Depth Analysis, Solution and Businesss... - May 13th, 2020
- Medical Perfusion Technology Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - 3rd Watch News - May 13th, 2020
- The U.S. Army Wants Wearable Tech That Detects the Coronavirus - Popular Mechanics - May 13th, 2020
- Global Medical Rollator Walker Market 2020 Business Outlook with COVID-19 Scenario | Drive DeVilbiss Healthcare, Kaiyang Medical Technology, TOPRO -... - May 13th, 2020
- Gynecological Examination Tables Market Analysis and Demand with Forecast Overview to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 13th, 2020
- Global Medical Technologies (GMT) at the Forefront of Healthcare Innovations in the Philippines - MB TechNews - May 13th, 2020
- Virtual care in the age of COVID-19 and beyond - Health Europa - May 13th, 2020
- Interdisciplinary research study uses VR Technology to assess interprofessional communication in healthcare education - Nevada Today - May 9th, 2020
- 5 Reasons Why Vapotherm Will Keep Climbing - The Motley Fool - May 9th, 2020
- Biosense Webster Unveils Late-Breaking Results from PRECEPT Study in Patients with Persistent Atrial Fibrillation - BioSpace - May 9th, 2020
- Needle-Free Drug Delivery Devices Market 2020, Booms the Global Industry Growth at Impressive CAGR Over Forecast Period and Dominated by Key... - May 9th, 2020
- COVID-19 pushes healthcare technology transformation in Asia - ASEAN TODAY - May 9th, 2020
- Vancouver theatre being used as space to help create new medical equipment | Venture - Daily Hive - May 9th, 2020
- The Potential Impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) for Advent of Disruptive Technologies to Support the Growth of the ENT Diagnostic Devices Market During... - May 9th, 2020
- St. Luke's medical technology lab pivots to coronavirus response - The Gazette: Eastern Iowa Breaking News and Headlines - May 8th, 2020
- Tech experts: Widespread adoption of telemedicine, remote monitoring 'here to stay' - FierceHealthcare - May 8th, 2020
- Safe Orthopaedics enters into exclusive negotiations for the acquisition of LCI Medical - OrthoSpineNews - May 8th, 2020