Program Overview BS in Medical Technology (BSMT), also known as as Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Science, is a four year degree program that equips students with knowledge and skills in laboratory tests used in the detection, diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases. The program consists of general education subjects (such as English and Filipino) and professional subjects (such as Clinical Chemistry and Blood Banking).
You will be taught on how to collect, preserve and analyze specimens such as blood, urine, cells and tissues as well as the preparation of reagents (compounds or substances added to a specimen in order to create a chemical reaction) and stains (a discoloration made by a foreign matter) . The program will also train you on how to use modern equipments, instruments and scientific methods to provide accurate laboratory results.
In the fourth year of the program, students need to complete a research paper. Once finished, they will defend their work infront of a panel and will be graded on a certain criteria. The second semester of the fourth year level is the internship program in an accredited training laboratory with rotational duties in the different sections such as Clinical Chemistry, Hematology, Microbiology, Immunohematology, Immunology and Serology, Urinalysis and Body Fluids, Parasitology and Histopathology.
Medical technologists analyze samples of body fluids and cells. They study the specimens for bacteria and parasites and identify chemicals contained in them. They perform blood matching for patients who require transfusions and analyze drug levels in a patient's blood to determine his reaction to treatment. They also study test results and communicate the findings to doctors. They can specialize in a variety of areas, such as microbiology, Immunohematology, immunology or molecular biology.
Depending on the school, clinical internships during the fourth year may last 3 to 7 months.
Review for the board examination takes an additional 6 months to a year, depending on whether you pass your first try.
According to CHED (official governing body of higher education institutions), the total number of exposure/contact hours in the laboratory is 1,786 hours.
Examination questions come from six major subjects with their corresponding relative weight. Clinical Chemistry, Microbiology and Parasitology, Hematology, Blood Banking and Serology each have 20% while Clinical Microscopy (Urinalysis and other body fluids) and Histopathologic Technique each have 10%. To pass the examination you should obtain a general weighted average of 75% with no rating below 60% in all the subjects.
You can view the passing rates of the Medical Technology Board Examination here.
Abroad: In industrialized countries, pay is definitely higher than local rates. Salary in the USA ranges from $50,000 to $70,000 per year (See source).
- Medical Technology Jobs in the U.S. Navy - Navy.com - May 22nd, 2019
- Online Medical Lab Technician & Medical Technology Degrees - May 20th, 2019
- Medical Technologist Degrees | All Allied Health Schools - May 20th, 2019
- Salary: Medical Technologist | Glassdoor - May 20th, 2019
- Medical Technology : College of Nursing and Health ... - May 20th, 2019
- Medical Technologist Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com - May 19th, 2019
- Medical Technologist: Job Description, Duties and Requirements - May 12th, 2019
- Medicine - Scientific American - April 20th, 2019
- Medical Technologist Jobs, Employment in New Jersey ... - April 11th, 2019
- Home | FMC Meditech - Medical Technology Recruitment - March 17th, 2019
- Department of Medical and Research Technology | University ... - March 17th, 2019
- 17 Amazing Healthcare Technology Advances of 2017 - March 12th, 2019
- B.S. in Medical Technology - Caldwell University, New Jersey - March 5th, 2019
- Medical Technologist Career Profile - verywellhealth.com - February 19th, 2019
- Medical Technology Degree Program | Med Tech Certification - February 19th, 2019
- Technology Essay Sample: Medical Technology ... - February 19th, 2019
- The Field of Medical Technology : : About the Program ... - February 19th, 2019
- Medical Technology Insurance | Travelers - February 19th, 2019
- Medical Technician Career Guide | All Allied Health Schools - February 19th, 2019
- Medical Technology | Statista - February 19th, 2019
- Indian Health Service | Indian Health Service (IHS) - February 14th, 2019
- Ultrasound - Wikipedia - February 14th, 2019
- Home - Secaucus, NJ - February 5th, 2019
- RWJBarnabas Health - Comprehensive Healthcare in New Jersey - February 5th, 2019
- Medical Laboratory Science/ Medical Technology at APSU - February 5th, 2019
- Medical Technology Ireland - January 29th, 2019
- Medical technologist - Wikipedia - January 29th, 2019
- McLEOD SCHOOL OF MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY - Pee Dee Area Health ... - January 29th, 2019
- Health technology in the United States - Wikipedia - January 2nd, 2019
- PaperPk jobs in Pakistan 2018 in newspaper ads daily ... - December 25th, 2018
- FastWay - December 25th, 2018
- Reell Precision Manufacturing Names Chet Zaslow as Business Development Manager for Medical Technology - January 31st, 2013