Medical technologist programs combine science, leadership skills and patient care. Here are your degree options.
Blood samples, microscopic cells and spinal fluid: Thats just a regular day at the lab for a medical technologist or technician.
Sound interesting? To work in this fast-paced and evolving field, you need a passion for science and strong analytical skills. If this describes you, consider taking the next step and enrolling in one of the many medical technologist programs across the country.
A medical technology degree is a requirement if you want to work in the field. You have two options to choose from: An associates or bachelors degree in medical technology.
Each medical technology degree has its benefits. Compare the differences to decide which one fits your goals.
An associates degree in medical technology gives students an opportunity to work in lab settings and gain a well-rounded education in liberal arts and science. It takes two years to complete.
The first year of study includes math, English and introductory science courses (anatomy and chemistry). Youll also delve into blood sample collection and body fluid analysis.
Heres a look at other courses included in a medical technology program:
Once you complete your associates degree requirements, youll be prepared to take aprofessional certification examand work as a medical technician.
A bachelors degree in medical technology takes four years to complete, but can lead to more career opportunities. With the additional time in school, youll be immersed in more hands-on experiences. Your coursework will also cover higher level topics such as management, leadership and complex issues in medical technology.
Your course list will look similar to that of an associates degree program, but youll also learn about:
If youre interested in specializing in a certain area/, some schools offer tracks such as public health and biotechnology.
Upon completing your degree, youll be qualified to work as a medical technologist.
Medical technologists and technicians have related job duties, such as performing tests for health care professionals, but the level of complexity differs between the jobs. Both medical technologists and technicians are responsible for analyzing body fluids to check for abnormalities. Technicians are often responsible for the data entry of the findings. Technicians interact with patients by collecting blood samples.
A technologist may also do the same, but their job goes a step further. Theyre tasked with analyzing the samples, determining the blood group and type and weighing in on whether blood is compatible for transfusions. Medical technicians set up, maintain and clean equipment. This isnt a main responsibility for a technologist. Another difference? Medical technologists perform manual tests while a technician will conduct tests using an automated process.
As you think about your career path, consider the type of workplaces youd be interested in.
When theyre not interacting with patients, medical technologists and technicians are handling the flood of orders coming into the lab. The main goal is to get accurate results as soon as possible, but it doesnt stop there. Medical technologists need to review the results and make a judgment call on when to alert doctors and medical staff. For example, they might input non-serious test results into the computer system for doctors to review later. On the other hand, a medical technologist or technician will contact medical staff directly if the results require immediate action.
Medical technologists and technicians often say strong organizational skills are the key to success. Some lab work can be done quickly, while other samples need to time to culture. Its no small feat to keep track of the many samples that need to be tested and reviewed.
Theres never a dull moment for medical technologists and technicians. One minute, you could be drawing blood from an elderly patient and the next, youre heading to the pediatric unit of the hospital to take a sample from a sick child. In other words, you need to adapt quickly and use different techniques to make patients feel comfortable.
Note:Working in a hospital may require you to work nights, weekends or holidays, whereas a doctors office usually has regular hours.
With the help of an undergraduate education, medical technologists can earn a decent salary. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics current Occupational Outlook Handbook (BLS), medical technologists earn a median annual income of $61,070.
Various factorsgeographic location and experience level, to name a fewcontribute to the type of pay you can earn as a medical technologist. As an example of this, the lowest 10 percent of medical technologists earn less than $41,550 whereas the top 10 percent earn more than $85,160.
Medical technology is a career path with advancement opportunities, which can boost your pay. You might work toward a supervisor or senior role in the laboratory.
Since medical technicians typically have an associates degree and less complex job responsibilities, their salary reflects that. The BLS lists a median annual income of $38,950 for medical technicians.
Professional certification is an important piece of any medical technologists career. A medical technology certification program evaluates your skill level and abilities as a medical technologist. Many employers require or prefer that medical technologists and technicians have certification.
TheAmerican Medical Technologists (AMT)is the certification agency that administers the exam to test your knowledge and skills. There are three different routes to become certified as medical technologist.
The process is similar for medical technicians, but check with AMT for exact eligibility criteria.
Medical technology relies heavily on in-person lab work, but if youre looking for a medical technology program online, there are some options.
Medical technology online programs are designed for students who have an existing background in the field. Some schools only accept students into their distance learning medical technology program if they are currently employed in a hospital or lab. Other online bachelors programs are crafted for students who already have an associates degree in medical technology and looking to advance in their career.
How Medical Technology Online Programs Work
If you enroll in a program that requires that you already work in a lab or hospital, your hands-on work will be conducted there. Your didactic courses will be available online in the form of lecture notes, videos and other methods.
Bachelors degree programs follow a similar formatlectures are done online while hands-on experience is conducted in a lab or clinic. The school will work with you to find an appropriate location to conduct your clinical experiences, usually in your city or town.
The courses youll take in a distance learning program wont differ from an on-campus curriculum, but here are a few examples of the classes youll actually take online:
Youre choosing a great time to consider a medical technology degree. More patients have access to health care and an increased number of conditions are being evaluated in a lab. Your work may be primarily behind the scenes, but youll be an important asset in the medical field.
Here is the original post:
- Why some Covid-19 patients with low oxygen level breathe well - ETHealthworld.com - July 5th, 2020
- Blood test can predict severity of Covid-19: Study - ETHealthworld.com - July 5th, 2020
- How To Become A Medical Technologist - Salary, Training ... - July 3rd, 2020
- EDAP Appoints Medical Technology Executive Marie Meynadier to its Board of Directors - GlobeNewswire - July 3rd, 2020
- Testing the Limits of Medical Technology - Medscape - July 3rd, 2020
- Korea to invest 2.8 trillion in promoting bio-health sector - Korea Biomedical Review - July 3rd, 2020
- 18 Healthcare Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality Companies to Watch - HIT Consultant - July 3rd, 2020
- Medical Tube Feed Pumps Market Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast To 2020-2026| Fresenius Kabi, Cardinal Health, Avanos Medical,... - July 3rd, 2020
- How to Make Remote Monitoring Tech Part of Everyday Health Care - Harvard Business Review - July 3rd, 2020
- The nebulizer market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 7% during the period 20192025 - GlobeNewswire - July 3rd, 2020
- Trending News: COVID-19 Impact ON Interventional Fluoroscopy Systems Market Size and CAGR by Regional Forecast by | EMD Medical Technologies, GE... - July 3rd, 2020
- Global Covid-19 impact on Total Ankle Replacement Market Key Drivers, Key Countries, Regional Landscape and Share Analysis by 2025| Integra... - July 3rd, 2020
- The telehealth market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 28% during the period 20192025 - Financialbuzz.com - July 3rd, 2020
- Usono improves ultrasound in the sports world: 'New market and way of working make for a promising future' - Innovation Origins - July 3rd, 2020
- Trending: Contrast Agent Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures With Forecasts Growth by 2026 | Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals,... - July 3rd, 2020
- Direct Energy Medical Devices Market will touch a new level in upcoming year with Top Key Players like Aesthera Corporation, Palomar Medical... - July 3rd, 2020
- Victoria Reggie Kennedy Appointed to Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce Board - PR Web - July 3rd, 2020
- Centesis Catheters Market by Technology, Application & Geography Analysis & Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 3rd, 2020
- Medical Imaging Diagnosis Market Study for 2020 to 2026 Providing Information on Key Players, Growth Drivers and Industry Challenges|GE Healthcare,... - July 3rd, 2020
- Pembrokeshire medical technology company assisting in the fight against coronavirus - Wales247 - July 3rd, 2020
- Deep01 Closes Fundraising Led by ASUS and Received the First Purchase Order of Their AI-Based Medical Device in Taiwan - PRNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- Vacuum Cupping Market Comprehensive Insights 2020 to 2026: Kangzhu, Hwato, BeiJing GuoYiYan Medical Technology and Medical Instrument CO., LTD - Cole... - June 24th, 2020
- World Market for Medical Sensors to 2027 and the Impact of Covid-19 - GlobeNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- Laidlaw Venture Partners Continues Strategic Growth with Addition of Jeff Conroy and George Serafin to its Board of Advisors - cnweekly - June 24th, 2020
- How Adopting Factory of the Future Technology Will Help in Medical... - Medical Tech Outlook - June 24th, 2020
- N95 Face Masks Get Pathogen Killing Technology with Addition of New UVC Medical Device - HospiMedica - June 24th, 2020
- This New App Analyzes Your Voice Quality To Diagnose Congestive Heart Failure: Can It Help With Covid-19? - Forbes - June 24th, 2020
- Hospital Furnitures Market | Covid-19 Impact | Demand, Cost Structures, Latest trends, and Forecasts to 2026 | Stryker, Bio Medical Solutions, GPC... - June 24th, 2020
- Securing best distributor is key to commercialisation in the medical field - Small Caps - June 24th, 2020
- MWE receives 1.45m loan to help fight COVID-19 - Med-Tech Innovation - June 24th, 2020
- Immigration Advice Service: the limits of technology in healthcare - Health Europa - June 24th, 2020
- Capillary Blood Collection Devices Market to See Booming Ahead | Global Players are Radiometer Medical ApS, Sarstedt AG & Co, Becton, Dickinson... - June 24th, 2020
- Spine Biologics Market 2020: Challenges, Growth, Types, Applications, Revenue, Insights, Growth Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast- 2025 - Cole... - June 24th, 2020
- Biocept reaches deal to cover out-of-network patients for its liquid biopsy tests - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - June 24th, 2020
- Global Medical Device Software Testing Services Market 2020: Which technology is expected to trend higher? - 3rd Watch News - June 24th, 2020
- Global Medical Imaging Information System Market 2020 Trends, Industry Size, Share, Technology Demand, Growth Drivers and 2026 Forecast Overview -... - June 24th, 2020
- Securing Medical Technology in the Age of COVID-19 - Infosecurity Magazine - June 5th, 2020
- Lumenis MOSES Technology Wins 2020 MedTech Breakthrough Award for Innovation in Surgical Technology - Yahoo Finance - June 5th, 2020
- BioSig Technologies's PURE EP System to be Presented in Heart Rhythm Society 2020 Science Sessions - GlobeNewswire - June 5th, 2020
- The European Medical Device market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 4.7 % between 2020 and 2025. - PRNewswire - June 5th, 2020
- Do OTAs need more regulation? - Washington Technology - June 5th, 2020
- Neuronetics to Present at the William Blair 40th Annual Growth Stock Conference - GlobeNewswire - June 5th, 2020
- 2020 Assessment of the Infectious Diseases Diagnostics Market and Impact of COVID-19 - Growing Number of COVID-19 Tests, Rise in Adoption of AI in... - June 5th, 2020
- Medical Central Gas Station Market Global Insights and Trends to 2026 | Medicoengineering doo, zmc Medical Devices and Medical Gas Systems, INSPITAL... - June 5th, 2020
- Rockford Psychiatric Medical Services provides positive feedback on the use of Nexstim NBT system with theta burst protocol for treatment of... - June 5th, 2020
- Impact of Corona on Medical Ceramics Market : How much will be the total production? - Cole of Duty - June 5th, 2020
- Digital Health Market is Likely to Exhibit Significant CAGR; Rising Popularity of Real-time Solutions will Promote Growth says Fortune Business... - June 5th, 2020
- Lakehead researchers teaming with high-tech firm on medical scheduling software - Northern Ontario Business - June 5th, 2020
- Soft Tissue Market: In-Depth Industry Analysis and Trends Analysis till 2030 - Cole of Duty - June 5th, 2020
- Bioresorbable Scaffold Market 2020 | Know the Latest COVID19 Impact Analysis And Strategies of Key Players: L-3 Communications Holdings, Inc., Hr... - June 5th, 2020
- Top 5 Major End User industries will boost the growth of Smart Pills Technology Market - Cole of Duty - June 5th, 2020
- Medical Tourism Market 2020 Latest Trending Technology, Growing Demand, Application, Types, Services, Regional Analysis and Forecast to 2025 - Cole of... - June 5th, 2020
- Hysteroscopic Endometrial Resection Procedures Market Trends Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Shares, Growth Opportunities, Statistics & Forecast to... - June 5th, 2020
- Amid the COVID-19 crisis and the looming economic recession, the Mannequin-Based Simulation market worldwide will grow by a projected US$3.7 Billion,... - June 5th, 2020
- The Ten Hottest Medical Technologies in 2019 - May 13th, 2020
- Technology engineered at ASU 50 years ago helps battle COVID-19 - ASU Now - May 13th, 2020
- Enhancing recovery: the rise of medical technology in sport - Medical Device Network - May 13th, 2020
- U.S. Officials: Beware Of China And Others Trying To Steal COVID-19 Research - NPR - May 13th, 2020
- How is the pandemic changing investments in HR tech? - Human Resource Executive - May 13th, 2020
- Global Hospital Beds Market (2020 to 2025) - Outlook and Forecast - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 13th, 2020
- Safe Orthopaedics Announces the Registration of Several Trademarks in Japan - OrthoSpineNews - May 13th, 2020
- Brian Wagner: We need leadership to protect us - Loveland Reporter-Herald - May 13th, 2020
- Scientists are racing to design a face mask that can rip coronavirus apart - Fast Company - May 13th, 2020
- Medical Disinfection and Sterilization Equipment Market Valuation 2020 | Key Trends, Growth Drivers, In Depth Analysis, Solution and Businesss... - May 13th, 2020
- Medical Perfusion Technology Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - 3rd Watch News - May 13th, 2020
- The U.S. Army Wants Wearable Tech That Detects the Coronavirus - Popular Mechanics - May 13th, 2020
- Global Medical Rollator Walker Market 2020 Business Outlook with COVID-19 Scenario | Drive DeVilbiss Healthcare, Kaiyang Medical Technology, TOPRO -... - May 13th, 2020
- Gynecological Examination Tables Market Analysis and Demand with Forecast Overview to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 13th, 2020
- Global Medical Technologies (GMT) at the Forefront of Healthcare Innovations in the Philippines - MB TechNews - May 13th, 2020
- Virtual care in the age of COVID-19 and beyond - Health Europa - May 13th, 2020
- Interdisciplinary research study uses VR Technology to assess interprofessional communication in healthcare education - Nevada Today - May 9th, 2020
- 5 Reasons Why Vapotherm Will Keep Climbing - The Motley Fool - May 9th, 2020
- Biosense Webster Unveils Late-Breaking Results from PRECEPT Study in Patients with Persistent Atrial Fibrillation - BioSpace - May 9th, 2020
- Needle-Free Drug Delivery Devices Market 2020, Booms the Global Industry Growth at Impressive CAGR Over Forecast Period and Dominated by Key... - May 9th, 2020
- COVID-19 pushes healthcare technology transformation in Asia - ASEAN TODAY - May 9th, 2020
- Vancouver theatre being used as space to help create new medical equipment | Venture - Daily Hive - May 9th, 2020
- The Potential Impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) for Advent of Disruptive Technologies to Support the Growth of the ENT Diagnostic Devices Market During... - May 9th, 2020
- St. Luke's medical technology lab pivots to coronavirus response - The Gazette: Eastern Iowa Breaking News and Headlines - May 8th, 2020
- Tech experts: Widespread adoption of telemedicine, remote monitoring 'here to stay' - FierceHealthcare - May 8th, 2020
- Safe Orthopaedics enters into exclusive negotiations for the acquisition of LCI Medical - OrthoSpineNews - May 8th, 2020