Medical technologist programs combine science, leadership skills and patient care. Here are your degree options.
Blood samples, microscopic cells and spinal fluid: Thats just a regular day at the lab for a medical technologist or technician.
Sound interesting? To work in this fast-paced and evolving field, you need a passion for science and strong analytical skills. If this describes you, consider taking the next step and enrolling in one of the many medical technologist programs across the country.
A medical technology degree is a requirement if you want to work in the field. You have two options to choose from: An associates or bachelors degree in medical technology.
Each medical technology degree has its benefits. Compare the differences to decide which one fits your goals.
An associates degree in medical technology gives students an opportunity to work in lab settings and gain a well-rounded education in liberal arts and science. It takes two years to complete.
The first year of study includes math, English and introductory science courses (anatomy and chemistry). Youll also delve into blood sample collection and body fluid analysis.
Heres a look at other courses included in a medical technology program:
Once you complete your associates degree requirements, youll be prepared to take aprofessional certification examand work as a medical technician.
A bachelors degree in medical technology takes four years to complete, but can lead to more career opportunities. With the additional time in school, youll be immersed in more hands-on experiences. Your coursework will also cover higher level topics such as management, leadership and complex issues in medical technology.
Your course list will look similar to that of an associates degree program, but youll also learn about:
If youre interested in specializing in a certain area/, some schools offer tracks such as public health and biotechnology.
Upon completing your degree, youll be qualified to work as a medical technologist.
Medical technologists and technicians have related job duties, such as performing tests for health care professionals, but the level of complexity differs between the jobs. Both medical technologists and technicians are responsible for analyzing body fluids to check for abnormalities. Technicians are often responsible for the data entry of the findings. Technicians interact with patients by collecting blood samples.
A technologist may also do the same, but their job goes a step further. Theyre tasked with analyzing the samples, determining the blood group and type and weighing in on whether blood is compatible for transfusions. Medical technicians set up, maintain and clean equipment. This isnt a main responsibility for a technologist. Another difference? Medical technologists perform manual tests while a technician will conduct tests using an automated process.
As you think about your career path, consider the type of workplaces youd be interested in.
When theyre not interacting with patients, medical technologists and technicians are handling the flood of orders coming into the lab. The main goal is to get accurate results as soon as possible, but it doesnt stop there. Medical technologists need to review the results and make a judgment call on when to alert doctors and medical staff. For example, they might input non-serious test results into the computer system for doctors to review later. On the other hand, a medical technologist or technician will contact medical staff directly if the results require immediate action.
Medical technologists and technicians often say strong organizational skills are the key to success. Some lab work can be done quickly, while other samples need to time to culture. Its no small feat to keep track of the many samples that need to be tested and reviewed.
Theres never a dull moment for medical technologists and technicians. One minute, you could be drawing blood from an elderly patient and the next, youre heading to the pediatric unit of the hospital to take a sample from a sick child. In other words, you need to adapt quickly and use different techniques to make patients feel comfortable.
Note:Working in a hospital may require you to work nights, weekends or holidays, whereas a doctors office usually has regular hours.
With the help of an undergraduate education, medical technologists can earn a decent salary. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics current Occupational Outlook Handbook (BLS), medical technologists earn a median annual income of $61,070.
Various factorsgeographic location and experience level, to name a fewcontribute to the type of pay you can earn as a medical technologist. As an example of this, the lowest 10 percent of medical technologists earn less than $41,550 whereas the top 10 percent earn more than $85,160.
Medical technology is a career path with advancement opportunities, which can boost your pay. You might work toward a supervisor or senior role in the laboratory.
Since medical technicians typically have an associates degree and less complex job responsibilities, their salary reflects that. The BLS lists a median annual income of $38,950 for medical technicians.
Professional certification is an important piece of any medical technologists career. A medical technology certification program evaluates your skill level and abilities as a medical technologist. Many employers require or prefer that medical technologists and technicians have certification.
TheAmerican Medical Technologists (AMT)is the certification agency that administers the exam to test your knowledge and skills. There are three different routes to become certified as medical technologist.
The process is similar for medical technicians, but check with AMT for exact eligibility criteria.
Medical technology relies heavily on in-person lab work, but if youre looking for a medical technology program online, there are some options.
Medical technology online programs are designed for students who have an existing background in the field. Some schools only accept students into their distance learning medical technology program if they are currently employed in a hospital or lab. Other online bachelors programs are crafted for students who already have an associates degree in medical technology and looking to advance in their career.
How Medical Technology Online Programs Work
If you enroll in a program that requires that you already work in a lab or hospital, your hands-on work will be conducted there. Your didactic courses will be available online in the form of lecture notes, videos and other methods.
Bachelors degree programs follow a similar formatlectures are done online while hands-on experience is conducted in a lab or clinic. The school will work with you to find an appropriate location to conduct your clinical experiences, usually in your city or town.
The courses youll take in a distance learning program wont differ from an on-campus curriculum, but here are a few examples of the classes youll actually take online:
Youre choosing a great time to consider a medical technology degree. More patients have access to health care and an increased number of conditions are being evaluated in a lab. Your work may be primarily behind the scenes, but youll be an important asset in the medical field.
Here is the original post:
- Conservative UK government could be best for medtech - Medical Device Network - December 9th, 2019
- How a medical tech company partners with higher education to build career ladders - Brookings Institution - December 9th, 2019
- Bipartisan Bill Could Improve Breakthrough Device Availability for Medicare Patients - Medical Device and Diagnostics Industry - December 9th, 2019
- Business opportunities in China's healthcare sector | Reach Further - Reach Further - December 9th, 2019
- Medical Technology Market Expected to Deliver Dynamic Progression until 2028| GE Healthcare, Johnson & Johnson, Medtronic Inc. - Industry News... - December 9th, 2019
- Big Data in Healthcare Market 2019 by New Medical Technology, Segments and Key Companies Analysis -McKesson Corporation, Epic System Corporation,... - December 9th, 2019
- US stocks wont be a good bet in 2020. Heres where the growth will be - KTVI Fox 2 St. Louis - December 9th, 2019
- Why health care innovation can't happen without doctors' insights - American Medical Association - December 9th, 2019
- Valeritas Presents Positive h-Patch CBD Study Data as a Late-Breaking Presentation at the American Epilepsy Society 2019 Annual Meeting -... - December 9th, 2019
- KUKA Displays LBR Med Capabilities as a Developmental Platform for New Healthcare Applications at Healthcare Robotics Engineering Forum - Business... - December 9th, 2019
- Healthcare IT Market by Rising Trends, Medical Technology, Growth, Statistics and Key Compoanies Analysis- Cerner, Mckesson, Ge healthcare, Allscripts... - December 9th, 2019
- You know VR, AR, but what is spatial computing? - MedCity News - December 9th, 2019
- House bill would improve medicare patient access to breakthrough technologies - DOTmed HealthCare Business News - December 9th, 2019
- Sharp HealthCare Taps Medpricer to Bring Operational Transparency to its Supply Chain - PR Web - December 9th, 2019
- Global Prosthetic Heart Valves Market Forecasts to 2025: Technical Advancements and FDA Clearance to Drive Market Growth - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - December 9th, 2019
- Medical Advice From a Bot: The Unproven Promise of Babylon Health - Undark Magazine - December 9th, 2019
- Multicenter Study Evaluates Trend Accuracy of Noninvasive, Continuous Masimo SpHb and Two Invasive Hemoglobin Testing Methods - Business Wire - December 9th, 2019
- Floyd Medical Center Partners With Erlanger Health System To Offer Telemedicine Technology In Neurology And Stroke Care - The Chattanoogan - December 9th, 2019
- Inna Bergman on the Origins and Rise of Israel as a Medical Tourism Destination - Total Croatia News - December 9th, 2019
- UK Reaches Out to Israel For Health and Medical Technology Innovations - The Times of Israel - November 30th, 2019
- Medical technology exhibition kicks off in Pyongyang: KCNA - NK News - November 30th, 2019
- Telehealth medical technology continues to be used more in area hospitals - News8000.com - WKBT - November 30th, 2019
- Take two apps and call me in the morning - Medical Economics - November 30th, 2019
- BrainsWay Appoints Medical Technology Industry Leader Christopher R. von Jako, Ph.D., as President and Chief Executive Officer - GlobeNewswire - November 30th, 2019
- Tracking Emerging Technologies in the Medical Device Market: Infiniti's Latest Blog Explains Why This Is Vital for Medical Device Manufacturers -... - November 30th, 2019
- Genome Editing Services, World Markets to 2030: Focus on CRISPR - The Most Popular Genome Manipulation Technology Tool - PRNewswire - November 30th, 2019
- How Novoplast became one of the most innovative medium-sized companies in Germany - Medical Plastics News - November 30th, 2019
- MN woman who had 140 brain surgeries says watch saved her life - KARE11.com - November 30th, 2019
- Be Prepared for Accelerated Adoption of AI in Wearables - MedTech Intelligence - November 30th, 2019
- Global Smart Medical Devices Market, Forecast to 2024 - Insulin Pumps Expected to Witness the Highest CAGR Over the Forecast Period - P&T Community - November 30th, 2019
- Remote Patient Monitoring Brings Healthcare To Your Home - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- 'The AI will see you now.' How tech might alter the doctor-patient relationship - KUOW News and Information - November 30th, 2019
- Integration of Health Care with Technology, Looking through 2020s - Kalkine Media - November 30th, 2019
- Head to Head Analysis: Helius Medical Technologies (OTCMKTS:HSDT) and Soleno Therapeutics (OTCMKTS:SLNO) - Riverton Roll - November 30th, 2019
- Creative Planning Has $12.93 Million Stake in Medtronic PLC (NYSE:MDT) - Mitchell Messenger - November 30th, 2019
- Can you trust mHealth apps? Why transparency is a must - American Medical Association - November 18th, 2019
- Nisonic Demonstrates Automatic Measurements of Optic Nerve Sheath Diameter as a Marker for Increased Intracranial Pressure Using Transorbital... - November 18th, 2019
- How Is Nanotech Reshaping the Medical Technology Sector? - Medical Tech Outlook - November 18th, 2019
- David Crais of CMG Carealytics Invited to NASA Cross Industry Innovation Summit - Benzinga - November 18th, 2019
- Shadowless Lamps Market will be grow in the upcoming year with players Greetmed, Aeomed, Mindray, BenQ Medical Technology - Daily Market Insight - November 18th, 2019
- Global Oxygen Regulator Market Insights Report 2019-2025 : Precision Medical, Harris, Essex Industries, Acare Technology - Industry News Time 24 - November 18th, 2019
- Research Roundup: Peanut allergies, heart disease treatments and wearable technology - The Stanford Daily - November 18th, 2019
- Private health insurers accused of lying about costs to raise premiums - 7NEWS - November 18th, 2019
- Title Wearable technology in healthcare: What are the leading themes? - Medical Device Network - November 18th, 2019
- ITM and CIRC Sign Technology License Agreement for the Production and Distribution of Medical Radioisotopes in China - Business Wire - November 18th, 2019
- Freudenberg Medical Achieves Break-through in Measurement Technology for Silicone Tubes with Helix iMC - Business Wire - November 12th, 2019
- Bridging the gap: Using technology to maintain patient contact - Medical Economics - November 12th, 2019
- Want to know your mental health status? There's an app for that - CU Boulder Today - November 12th, 2019
- Gets Its Catalyst And Trades Up::Creative Medical Technology Holdings Inc, (OTC US:CELZ) - News Planets - November 12th, 2019
- The Russian Military Will Soon Assign Soldiers Based on Their "Genetic Passports" - The National Interest Online - November 12th, 2019
- Hospital Furnitures Market Strategic Insights 2019 with analysis of Leading players: Stryker, Bio Medical Solutions, GPC Medical, Chang Gung Medical... - November 12th, 2019
- Is Computer-Vision the New Ground-Breaking Technology in the... - Medical Tech Outlook - November 12th, 2019
- BD Submits Pre-Market Approval Supplement to FDA for BD Onclarity HPV Test with Extended Genotyping Capabilities - PRNewswire - November 12th, 2019
- Rumor Claims Olympus will Shut Down Its Camera Division Within a Year - PetaPixel - November 12th, 2019
- InVivo Therapeutics Announces Appointment of Robert Rosenthal to Board of Directors - OrthoSpineNews - November 12th, 2019
- Global Cardiology Information System (CIS) Market Key Players and Share by 2025| CREALIFE Medical Technology and others - Market News Reports - November 12th, 2019
- How to have the right sensor for your medical IoT job - Medical Design & Outsourcing - November 12th, 2019
- Synaptive Ventures To the Spinal Surgery Market with Modus V - Medical Tech Outlook - November 12th, 2019
- Why DuPont will be at both Medica and Compamed - Medical Plastics News - November 12th, 2019
- Insights from Cathy Burzik's 40 years in the healthcare industry - Medical Design & Outsourcing - November 10th, 2019
- New Stanford hospital to open one week from today - Scope - November 10th, 2019
- Community Bank of Raymore Takes Position in Stryker Co. (NYSE:SYK) - Polson News - November 10th, 2019
- Cannabis industry is drawing big-name investors in R.I. - The Providence Journal - November 10th, 2019
- Avita Medical share price on watch after being added to the ASX 200 - Yahoo Finance - November 10th, 2019
- Head to Head Survey: Apyx Medical (NASDAQ:APYX) and AdvanSource Biomaterials Corpration (NASDAQ:ASNB) - Riverton Roll - November 10th, 2019
- Why Medicine Needs a New Hippocratic Oathand What It Should Be - Singularity Hub - November 8th, 2019
- Global SMT Equipment Market 2019-2023: Progression in Self-Driven Cars, Growth in Medical Technology, Increasing Smart Home Spending, Budding... - November 8th, 2019
- How Is the Medical Industry Using Deep Learning? - Business.com - November 8th, 2019
- Latest trends in medical monitoring devices and wearable health technology - Business Insider India - November 8th, 2019
- American Headache Society Publishes Article Demonstrating the Promise of Remote Electrical Neuromodulation (REN) as First-Line Treatment for Acute... - November 8th, 2019
- Townsen Memorial Clinics Now Open in Houston and Humble - PR Web - November 8th, 2019
- Compamed 2019: Everything you need to know - Medical Plastics News - November 8th, 2019
- CannGoods bridging the gap between hemp growers and off-take customers with its new tech - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - November 8th, 2019
- Conformis Announces FDA Clearance and Full Commercial Launch of Next Generation Hip System at the 2019 AAHKS Conference - OrthoSpineNews - November 8th, 2019
- EMMAC Life Sciences expanding on its medical cannabis acquisitions in London, Portugal, and Spain - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - November 8th, 2019
- A snapshot of the global patent landscape in eight charts - IAM - November 8th, 2019
- Olympus Now the Exclusive Distributor of the RocaFlow Pump and Tubing Sets - The Reporter - November 5th, 2019
- Adam Ferrari Highlights the Treatments and Medical Technology for Spinal Injuries utilized by Next Steps of Chicago - PRUnderground - November 5th, 2019
- Axonics Responds to Patent Action by Medtronic - Business Wire - November 5th, 2019
- Four-Year Data From the IN.PACT Global Study Highlight Durable Performance and Safety of IN.PACT Admiral DCB - Vascular Disease Management - November 5th, 2019