Medical technologist programs combine science, leadership skills and patient care. Here are your degree options.
Blood samples, microscopic cells and spinal fluid: Thats just a regular day at the lab for a medical technologist or technician.
Sound interesting? To work in this fast-paced and evolving field, you need a passion for science and strong analytical skills. If this describes you, consider taking the next step and enrolling in one of the many medical technologist programs across the country.
A medical technology degree is a requirement if you want to work in the field. You have two options to choose from: An associates or bachelors degree in medical technology.
Each medical technology degree has its benefits. Compare the differences to decide which one fits your goals.
An associates degree in medical technology gives students an opportunity to work in lab settings and gain a well-rounded education in liberal arts and science. It takes two years to complete.
The first year of study includes math, English and introductory science courses (anatomy and chemistry). Youll also delve into blood sample collection and body fluid analysis.
Heres a look at other courses included in a medical technology program:
Once you complete your associates degree requirements, youll be prepared to take aprofessional certification examand work as a medical technician.
A bachelors degree in medical technology takes four years to complete, but can lead to more career opportunities. With the additional time in school, youll be immersed in more hands-on experiences. Your coursework will also cover higher level topics such as management, leadership and complex issues in medical technology.
Your course list will look similar to that of an associates degree program, but youll also learn about:
If youre interested in specializing in a certain area/, some schools offer tracks such as public health and biotechnology.
Upon completing your degree, youll be qualified to work as a medical technologist.
Medical technologists and technicians have related job duties, such as performing tests for health care professionals, but the level of complexity differs between the jobs. Both medical technologists and technicians are responsible for analyzing body fluids to check for abnormalities. Technicians are often responsible for the data entry of the findings. Technicians interact with patients by collecting blood samples.
A technologist may also do the same, but their job goes a step further. Theyre tasked with analyzing the samples, determining the blood group and type and weighing in on whether blood is compatible for transfusions. Medical technicians set up, maintain and clean equipment. This isnt a main responsibility for a technologist. Another difference? Medical technologists perform manual tests while a technician will conduct tests using an automated process.
As you think about your career path, consider the type of workplaces youd be interested in.
When theyre not interacting with patients, medical technologists and technicians are handling the flood of orders coming into the lab. The main goal is to get accurate results as soon as possible, but it doesnt stop there. Medical technologists need to review the results and make a judgment call on when to alert doctors and medical staff. For example, they might input non-serious test results into the computer system for doctors to review later. On the other hand, a medical technologist or technician will contact medical staff directly if the results require immediate action.
Medical technologists and technicians often say strong organizational skills are the key to success. Some lab work can be done quickly, while other samples need to time to culture. Its no small feat to keep track of the many samples that need to be tested and reviewed.
Theres never a dull moment for medical technologists and technicians. One minute, you could be drawing blood from an elderly patient and the next, youre heading to the pediatric unit of the hospital to take a sample from a sick child. In other words, you need to adapt quickly and use different techniques to make patients feel comfortable.
Note:Working in a hospital may require you to work nights, weekends or holidays, whereas a doctors office usually has regular hours.
With the help of an undergraduate education, medical technologists can earn a decent salary. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics current Occupational Outlook Handbook (BLS), medical technologists earn a median annual income of $61,070.
Various factorsgeographic location and experience level, to name a fewcontribute to the type of pay you can earn as a medical technologist. As an example of this, the lowest 10 percent of medical technologists earn less than $41,550 whereas the top 10 percent earn more than $85,160.
Medical technology is a career path with advancement opportunities, which can boost your pay. You might work toward a supervisor or senior role in the laboratory.
Since medical technicians typically have an associates degree and less complex job responsibilities, their salary reflects that. The BLS lists a median annual income of $38,950 for medical technicians.
Professional certification is an important piece of any medical technologists career. A medical technology certification program evaluates your skill level and abilities as a medical technologist. Many employers require or prefer that medical technologists and technicians have certification.
TheAmerican Medical Technologists (AMT)is the certification agency that administers the exam to test your knowledge and skills. There are three different routes to become certified as medical technologist.
The process is similar for medical technicians, but check with AMT for exact eligibility criteria.
Medical technology relies heavily on in-person lab work, but if youre looking for a medical technology program online, there are some options.
Medical technology online programs are designed for students who have an existing background in the field. Some schools only accept students into their distance learning medical technology program if they are currently employed in a hospital or lab. Other online bachelors programs are crafted for students who already have an associates degree in medical technology and looking to advance in their career.
How Medical Technology Online Programs Work
If you enroll in a program that requires that you already work in a lab or hospital, your hands-on work will be conducted there. Your didactic courses will be available online in the form of lecture notes, videos and other methods.
Bachelors degree programs follow a similar formatlectures are done online while hands-on experience is conducted in a lab or clinic. The school will work with you to find an appropriate location to conduct your clinical experiences, usually in your city or town.
The courses youll take in a distance learning program wont differ from an on-campus curriculum, but here are a few examples of the classes youll actually take online:
Youre choosing a great time to consider a medical technology degree. More patients have access to health care and an increased number of conditions are being evaluated in a lab. Your work may be primarily behind the scenes, but youll be an important asset in the medical field.
Here is the original post:
- Axonics Broadens EU Commercial Footprint with Recommendation for Reimbursement in France and Supply Contract in Norway - Business Wire - October 7th, 2019
- Medtronic Initiates Worldwide Pivotal Study of a New Approach to Treating Dangerously Fast Heart Rhythms - GlobeNewswire - October 7th, 2019
- TE Connectivity Collaborates With Hanhaa and Avnet to Advance Smart Tracking - PRNewswire - October 7th, 2019
- CONMED Corporation to Announce Third Quarter 2019 Financial Results on October 30, 2019 - BioSpace - October 7th, 2019
- UI graduate student works to commercialize drug that prevents osteoarthritis - UI The Daily Iowan - October 7th, 2019
- Medical Technologist Job in Multiple Locations - Department of the Air Force - LemonWire - October 7th, 2019
- Artificial Joints Market Research and New Innovations in Medical Sector 2019 to 2025 - The Chicago Sentinel - October 7th, 2019
- 4 Reasons Why CT is the Best Method for Medical Device Quality Inspection - Quality Magazine - October 7th, 2019
- TIER Mobility raises US$60 million in its Series B led by Mubadala Capital and Goodwater Capital - Business Wire - October 7th, 2019
- Medical Imaging Diagnosis Market Investigation by Application, Technology and Product Type - The Charterian - October 7th, 2019
- New Technology Makes Moves in the Medical Industry - Machine Design - October 4th, 2019
- The Rise of the Deep: Eric Topols Deep Medicine To Stand The Test Of Time - Forbes - October 4th, 2019
- Bipartisan team of lawmakers put the squeeze on medical device tax - Chamber Business News - October 4th, 2019
- How to improve screening for social determinants of health - American Medical Association - October 4th, 2019
- AngioDynamics Acquires Eximo Medical, Ltd. and its Innovative 355nm Laser Atherectomy Technology - Business Wire - October 4th, 2019
- Time For A Checkup On This Health Care ETF - Benzinga - October 4th, 2019
- Axonics Provides Full One-Year Results from ARTISAN-SNM Pivotal Study at AUGS/IUGA Joint Scientific Meeting - Business Wire - October 4th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Is Being Used To Diagnose Disease And Design New Drugs - Forbes - October 4th, 2019
- Is There Enough Room Left To ::Creative Medical Technology Holdings Inc, (OTC:CELZ) - Ws News Publisher - October 4th, 2019
- Stock In The Spotlight ::Creative Medical Technology Holdings Inc, (OTC:CELZ) - Ws News Publisher - October 4th, 2019
- The FDA's Critical Focus on Women's Health - FDA.gov - October 4th, 2019
- How Springfield Technical Community College is training medical professionals to respond to crisis situations with robotic patients - MassLive.com - October 4th, 2019
- Should investors take a bet on surgical robotics? - The Globe and Mail - October 4th, 2019
- New Study in Medical Devices industry of the High-intensity Focused Ultrasound System Market include Strategies, Competitive Research & Growth By... - October 4th, 2019
- Medical Technology Jobs in the U.S. Navy - Navy.com - May 22nd, 2019
- Online Medical Lab Technician & Medical Technology Degrees - May 20th, 2019
- Salary: Medical Technologist | Glassdoor - May 20th, 2019
- Medical Technology : College of Nursing and Health ... - May 20th, 2019
- Medical Technologist Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com - May 19th, 2019
- Medical Technologist: Job Description, Duties and Requirements - May 12th, 2019
- Medicine - Scientific American - April 20th, 2019
- Medical Technologist Jobs, Employment in New Jersey ... - April 11th, 2019
- BS in Medical Technology in the Philippines - April 4th, 2019
- Home | FMC Meditech - Medical Technology Recruitment - March 17th, 2019
- Department of Medical and Research Technology | University ... - March 17th, 2019
- 17 Amazing Healthcare Technology Advances of 2017 - March 12th, 2019
- B.S. in Medical Technology - Caldwell University, New Jersey - March 5th, 2019
- Medical Technologist Career Profile - verywellhealth.com - February 19th, 2019
- Medical Technology Degree Program | Med Tech Certification - February 19th, 2019
- Technology Essay Sample: Medical Technology ... - February 19th, 2019
- The Field of Medical Technology : : About the Program ... - February 19th, 2019
- Medical Technology Insurance | Travelers - February 19th, 2019
- Medical Technician Career Guide | All Allied Health Schools - February 19th, 2019
- Medical Technology | Statista - February 19th, 2019
- Indian Health Service | Indian Health Service (IHS) - February 14th, 2019
- Ultrasound - Wikipedia - February 14th, 2019
- Home - Secaucus, NJ - February 5th, 2019
- RWJBarnabas Health - Comprehensive Healthcare in New Jersey - February 5th, 2019
- Medical Laboratory Science/ Medical Technology at APSU - February 5th, 2019
- Medical Technology Ireland - January 29th, 2019
- Medical technologist - Wikipedia - January 29th, 2019
- McLEOD SCHOOL OF MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY - Pee Dee Area Health ... - January 29th, 2019
- Health technology in the United States - Wikipedia - January 2nd, 2019
- PaperPk jobs in Pakistan 2018 in newspaper ads daily ... - December 25th, 2018
- FastWay - December 25th, 2018
- Reell Precision Manufacturing Names Chet Zaslow as Business Development Manager for Medical Technology - January 31st, 2013