Essential Information Degree Level Bachelor's degree; master's for advancement Degree Field(s) Medical technology, clinical laboratory science, or allied health technologies License/Certification Licensure and certification vary by state; professional certification preferred Experience Varies Key Skills Communications skills; detail-oriented; ability to use complex medical equipment; willingness to work irregular hours, be on call, and spend many hours standing Job Outlook (2014-2024) 16% growth Median Annual Salary (2015) $60,520 (for medical and clinical laboratory technologists)
Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Medical technologists, also known as clinical laboratory technologists, perform and analyze the results of complex scientific tests on blood and bodily fluids. These highly trained professionals work in hospitals and independent laboratories using sophisticated procedures and equipment. When test results are analyzed and completed, medical technologists collaborate with physicians or laboratory directors on patient data. A bachelor's degree in medical technology or science is required for entry-level positions.
Medical technologists analyze samples of blood, tissue and body fluids to determine chemical content, cell count, drug levels or blood type; they may also search for specific microorganisms like bacteria or parasites. Preparing the samples for examination, using automated equipment and specialized instrumentation, performing numerous complicated tests simultaneously, and accurately interpreting the results are all part of a medical technologist's job.
Whether in a medical facility or independently run laboratory, medical technologists often work with infectious specimens. Infection control and sterilization protocols must be followed to minimize these hazards. Medical technologists can also expect to spend many hours standing in a laboratory. Hospital employees often work irregular hours or are on call for emergency situations.
The day-to-day duties of a medical technologist include complex analysis of microscopic, immunologic, biologic, bacteriologic, hematologic, and chemical tests and their results. Some tasks that a medical technologist might be asked to perform could include:
Find schools that offer these popular programs
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), a bachelor's degree is the minimum entry-level requirement for a medical technologist. Advancement to laboratory director is a relatively common career step for medical technologists, and this position usually requires a master's degree.
Bachelor's degree programs in medical technology, clinical laboratory science or allied health technologies all prepare students for work in this field. These 4-year programs are heavily focused on the natural sciences and often include an internship. Common course topics include anatomy and physiology, lab management, immunology, clinical microbiology, parasitology and medical ethics.
Depending on the state, medical technologists may need to be certified before they are licensed or registered, according to the BLS. This often includes proof of a bachelor's degree and a written exam. State boards of occupational licensure or departments of health administer medical technologist licensure.
While not required, employers may prefer to hire medical technologists who are professionally certified. Specialized medical technologists can become certified through organizations that administer to their specialty. The American Medical Technologists (AMT) agency offers a professional AMT designation. Applicants must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited program and either a recognized medical technology internship or a year of approved experience to sit for the written examination.
The BLS projected that the number of jobs for medical and clinical laboratory technologists would grow at a rate of 16% between 2014-2024. Over 50% of medical and clinical laboratory technologists were employed by hospitals as of 2014, while the rest worked in laboratories, physicians' offices, or colleges and universities. Additionally, the BLS reported that the median annual salary for medical and clinical laboratory technologists was $60,520 in 2015.
Medical technologists perform tests and analyze results in a laboratory setting. A bachelor's degree is necessary to enter this field, and certification may be necessary.
Read the original:
- Axonics Broadens EU Commercial Footprint with Recommendation for Reimbursement in France and Supply Contract in Norway - Business Wire - October 7th, 2019
- Medtronic Initiates Worldwide Pivotal Study of a New Approach to Treating Dangerously Fast Heart Rhythms - GlobeNewswire - October 7th, 2019
- TE Connectivity Collaborates With Hanhaa and Avnet to Advance Smart Tracking - PRNewswire - October 7th, 2019
- CONMED Corporation to Announce Third Quarter 2019 Financial Results on October 30, 2019 - BioSpace - October 7th, 2019
- UI graduate student works to commercialize drug that prevents osteoarthritis - UI The Daily Iowan - October 7th, 2019
- Medical Technologist Job in Multiple Locations - Department of the Air Force - LemonWire - October 7th, 2019
- Artificial Joints Market Research and New Innovations in Medical Sector 2019 to 2025 - The Chicago Sentinel - October 7th, 2019
- 4 Reasons Why CT is the Best Method for Medical Device Quality Inspection - Quality Magazine - October 7th, 2019
- TIER Mobility raises US$60 million in its Series B led by Mubadala Capital and Goodwater Capital - Business Wire - October 7th, 2019
- Medical Imaging Diagnosis Market Investigation by Application, Technology and Product Type - The Charterian - October 7th, 2019
- New Technology Makes Moves in the Medical Industry - Machine Design - October 4th, 2019
- The Rise of the Deep: Eric Topols Deep Medicine To Stand The Test Of Time - Forbes - October 4th, 2019
- Bipartisan team of lawmakers put the squeeze on medical device tax - Chamber Business News - October 4th, 2019
- How to improve screening for social determinants of health - American Medical Association - October 4th, 2019
- AngioDynamics Acquires Eximo Medical, Ltd. and its Innovative 355nm Laser Atherectomy Technology - Business Wire - October 4th, 2019
- Time For A Checkup On This Health Care ETF - Benzinga - October 4th, 2019
- Axonics Provides Full One-Year Results from ARTISAN-SNM Pivotal Study at AUGS/IUGA Joint Scientific Meeting - Business Wire - October 4th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Is Being Used To Diagnose Disease And Design New Drugs - Forbes - October 4th, 2019
- Is There Enough Room Left To ::Creative Medical Technology Holdings Inc, (OTC:CELZ) - Ws News Publisher - October 4th, 2019
- Stock In The Spotlight ::Creative Medical Technology Holdings Inc, (OTC:CELZ) - Ws News Publisher - October 4th, 2019
- The FDA's Critical Focus on Women's Health - FDA.gov - October 4th, 2019
- How Springfield Technical Community College is training medical professionals to respond to crisis situations with robotic patients - MassLive.com - October 4th, 2019
- Should investors take a bet on surgical robotics? - The Globe and Mail - October 4th, 2019
- New Study in Medical Devices industry of the High-intensity Focused Ultrasound System Market include Strategies, Competitive Research & Growth By... - October 4th, 2019
- Medical Technology Jobs in the U.S. Navy - Navy.com - May 22nd, 2019
- Online Medical Lab Technician & Medical Technology Degrees - May 20th, 2019
- Medical Technologist Degrees | All Allied Health Schools - May 20th, 2019
- Salary: Medical Technologist | Glassdoor - May 20th, 2019
- Medical Technology : College of Nursing and Health ... - May 20th, 2019
- Medical Technologist Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com - May 19th, 2019
- Medicine - Scientific American - April 20th, 2019
- Medical Technologist Jobs, Employment in New Jersey ... - April 11th, 2019
- BS in Medical Technology in the Philippines - April 4th, 2019
- Home | FMC Meditech - Medical Technology Recruitment - March 17th, 2019
- Department of Medical and Research Technology | University ... - March 17th, 2019
- 17 Amazing Healthcare Technology Advances of 2017 - March 12th, 2019
- B.S. in Medical Technology - Caldwell University, New Jersey - March 5th, 2019
- Medical Technologist Career Profile - verywellhealth.com - February 19th, 2019
- Medical Technology Degree Program | Med Tech Certification - February 19th, 2019
- Technology Essay Sample: Medical Technology ... - February 19th, 2019
- The Field of Medical Technology : : About the Program ... - February 19th, 2019
- Medical Technology Insurance | Travelers - February 19th, 2019
- Medical Technician Career Guide | All Allied Health Schools - February 19th, 2019
- Medical Technology | Statista - February 19th, 2019
- Indian Health Service | Indian Health Service (IHS) - February 14th, 2019
- Ultrasound - Wikipedia - February 14th, 2019
- Home - Secaucus, NJ - February 5th, 2019
- RWJBarnabas Health - Comprehensive Healthcare in New Jersey - February 5th, 2019
- Medical Laboratory Science/ Medical Technology at APSU - February 5th, 2019
- Medical Technology Ireland - January 29th, 2019
- Medical technologist - Wikipedia - January 29th, 2019
- McLEOD SCHOOL OF MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY - Pee Dee Area Health ... - January 29th, 2019
- Health technology in the United States - Wikipedia - January 2nd, 2019
- PaperPk jobs in Pakistan 2018 in newspaper ads daily ... - December 25th, 2018
- FastWay - December 25th, 2018
- Reell Precision Manufacturing Names Chet Zaslow as Business Development Manager for Medical Technology - January 31st, 2013