The medical industry is finding new solutions every year to combat healthcare cost and provide better care. With new connected and IoT devices, wearables are getting a lot of attention. Technologies are now available with digital platforms that offer a new way to quantify human movement for health and safety.
Firms such as StrongArm Technologies are using technology to track human movement. Its goals are to keep workers or, as CEO and founder Sean Petterson calls them, industrial athletes, safe. One of the companys products can wirelessly track a workers movements and send notifications if a worker might be overexerting themselves. A connected platform can also suggest taking a break or stretching exercise to reduce the likelihood of injuries and fatigue.
Dr. Nan-Wei Gong isCEO of the startup FIGUR8. Her company is offering a new technology in wearables that might find its way into helping the medical but, like StrongArm Technologies, could find its way in helping the manufacturing and other industries.
Tracking the human body can be difficult. Fortunately, there are creative researchers such as Gong to find solutions. Movement is not only acceleration, rotation, inertia, etc. Tracking soft tissue like muscle deformation offers a way of quantifying movement, injuries, fatigue, and other factors. However, stretchy ductile materials can present certain challenges.
Accelerometers and gyroscopes can track movement but cant collect data on soft tissue deformation. This is one of the innovations MIT and Massachusetts General Hospital for five years, and Gongs company has worked on for the last two-and-a-half years to understand the science, calibrate the sensors, and bringing the technology to market with other partners.
This flexible tracking sensor is entering the market. Gong is looking for collaborators and companies to see just how far this innovative technology could go toward improving healthcare.
Electromyography (EMG) is an electrodiagnostic medicine technique for evaluating and recording the electrical activity produced by muscles. Some exoskeleton and prosthetics have used EMG to see if it is possible to have human electrical signals communicate to mechanical actuators. However, EMG normally needs clean contact with the skin that may require shaving. Additionally, collecting electrical signals from a human body requires a lot of filtering.
Therefore, Gong and researchers used mechanomyography (MMG) technology instead. Using a conductive, stretchable polymer that can measure impedance was able to track surface deformation. This technology can also be attached quickly and easily without the need to clean or shave the area. As the patient moves the polymer stretches and software can use the change in impedance to determine the deformation of soft tissue.
Gong says elite athletes and physical therapy offices could use this technology to create a baseline for patients and track performance overtime. FIGUR8 has devised movements to engage different muscle groups that can generate reports indicating performance and any progression. This might allow an athlete to track their flexibility, an older patient to track joint mobility, or a warehouse worker to limit fatigue and injury. Ultimately, tracking movement with soft tissue deformation offers a quantifiable tool for doctors to track movement and document it overtime.
This solution uses accelerometers, inertial measuring units, gyroscopes, magnetometers, and the surface deformation sensor in a wireless package that can be applied and taken off easily. Gong say the technology is new, but has the potential to move outside of physical therapy offices and into other industries.
With worker data such as StrongArm is using and new technology such as what FIGUR8 has brought to market athletes, workers, the elderly, and others could get real-time reports, notifications, and even workout suggestions to keep the human body moving in a healthy direction.
- Deep01 Closes Fundraising Led by ASUS and Received the First Purchase Order of Their AI-Based Medical Device in Taiwan - PRNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- Vacuum Cupping Market Comprehensive Insights 2020 to 2026: Kangzhu, Hwato, BeiJing GuoYiYan Medical Technology and Medical Instrument CO., LTD - Cole... - June 24th, 2020
- World Market for Medical Sensors to 2027 and the Impact of Covid-19 - GlobeNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- Laidlaw Venture Partners Continues Strategic Growth with Addition of Jeff Conroy and George Serafin to its Board of Advisors - cnweekly - June 24th, 2020
- How Adopting Factory of the Future Technology Will Help in Medical... - Medical Tech Outlook - June 24th, 2020
- N95 Face Masks Get Pathogen Killing Technology with Addition of New UVC Medical Device - HospiMedica - June 24th, 2020
- This New App Analyzes Your Voice Quality To Diagnose Congestive Heart Failure: Can It Help With Covid-19? - Forbes - June 24th, 2020
- Hospital Furnitures Market | Covid-19 Impact | Demand, Cost Structures, Latest trends, and Forecasts to 2026 | Stryker, Bio Medical Solutions, GPC... - June 24th, 2020
- Securing best distributor is key to commercialisation in the medical field - Small Caps - June 24th, 2020
- MWE receives 1.45m loan to help fight COVID-19 - Med-Tech Innovation - June 24th, 2020
- Immigration Advice Service: the limits of technology in healthcare - Health Europa - June 24th, 2020
- Capillary Blood Collection Devices Market to See Booming Ahead | Global Players are Radiometer Medical ApS, Sarstedt AG & Co, Becton, Dickinson... - June 24th, 2020
- Spine Biologics Market 2020: Challenges, Growth, Types, Applications, Revenue, Insights, Growth Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast- 2025 - Cole... - June 24th, 2020
- Biocept reaches deal to cover out-of-network patients for its liquid biopsy tests - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - June 24th, 2020
- Global Medical Device Software Testing Services Market 2020: Which technology is expected to trend higher? - 3rd Watch News - June 24th, 2020
- Global Medical Imaging Information System Market 2020 Trends, Industry Size, Share, Technology Demand, Growth Drivers and 2026 Forecast Overview -... - June 24th, 2020
- Securing Medical Technology in the Age of COVID-19 - Infosecurity Magazine - June 5th, 2020
- Lumenis MOSES Technology Wins 2020 MedTech Breakthrough Award for Innovation in Surgical Technology - Yahoo Finance - June 5th, 2020
- BioSig Technologies's PURE EP System to be Presented in Heart Rhythm Society 2020 Science Sessions - GlobeNewswire - June 5th, 2020
- The European Medical Device market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 4.7 % between 2020 and 2025. - PRNewswire - June 5th, 2020
- Do OTAs need more regulation? - Washington Technology - June 5th, 2020
- Neuronetics to Present at the William Blair 40th Annual Growth Stock Conference - GlobeNewswire - June 5th, 2020
- 2020 Assessment of the Infectious Diseases Diagnostics Market and Impact of COVID-19 - Growing Number of COVID-19 Tests, Rise in Adoption of AI in... - June 5th, 2020
- Medical Central Gas Station Market Global Insights and Trends to 2026 | Medicoengineering doo, zmc Medical Devices and Medical Gas Systems, INSPITAL... - June 5th, 2020
- Rockford Psychiatric Medical Services provides positive feedback on the use of Nexstim NBT system with theta burst protocol for treatment of... - June 5th, 2020
- Impact of Corona on Medical Ceramics Market : How much will be the total production? - Cole of Duty - June 5th, 2020
- Digital Health Market is Likely to Exhibit Significant CAGR; Rising Popularity of Real-time Solutions will Promote Growth says Fortune Business... - June 5th, 2020
- Lakehead researchers teaming with high-tech firm on medical scheduling software - Northern Ontario Business - June 5th, 2020
- Soft Tissue Market: In-Depth Industry Analysis and Trends Analysis till 2030 - Cole of Duty - June 5th, 2020
- Bioresorbable Scaffold Market 2020 | Know the Latest COVID19 Impact Analysis And Strategies of Key Players: L-3 Communications Holdings, Inc., Hr... - June 5th, 2020
- Top 5 Major End User industries will boost the growth of Smart Pills Technology Market - Cole of Duty - June 5th, 2020
- Medical Tourism Market 2020 Latest Trending Technology, Growing Demand, Application, Types, Services, Regional Analysis and Forecast to 2025 - Cole of... - June 5th, 2020
- Hysteroscopic Endometrial Resection Procedures Market Trends Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Shares, Growth Opportunities, Statistics & Forecast to... - June 5th, 2020
- Amid the COVID-19 crisis and the looming economic recession, the Mannequin-Based Simulation market worldwide will grow by a projected US$3.7 Billion,... - June 5th, 2020
- The Ten Hottest Medical Technologies in 2019 - May 13th, 2020
- Technology engineered at ASU 50 years ago helps battle COVID-19 - ASU Now - May 13th, 2020
- Enhancing recovery: the rise of medical technology in sport - Medical Device Network - May 13th, 2020
- U.S. Officials: Beware Of China And Others Trying To Steal COVID-19 Research - NPR - May 13th, 2020
- How is the pandemic changing investments in HR tech? - Human Resource Executive - May 13th, 2020
- Global Hospital Beds Market (2020 to 2025) - Outlook and Forecast - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 13th, 2020
- Safe Orthopaedics Announces the Registration of Several Trademarks in Japan - OrthoSpineNews - May 13th, 2020
- Brian Wagner: We need leadership to protect us - Loveland Reporter-Herald - May 13th, 2020
- Scientists are racing to design a face mask that can rip coronavirus apart - Fast Company - May 13th, 2020
- Medical Disinfection and Sterilization Equipment Market Valuation 2020 | Key Trends, Growth Drivers, In Depth Analysis, Solution and Businesss... - May 13th, 2020
- Medical Perfusion Technology Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - 3rd Watch News - May 13th, 2020
- The U.S. Army Wants Wearable Tech That Detects the Coronavirus - Popular Mechanics - May 13th, 2020
- Global Medical Rollator Walker Market 2020 Business Outlook with COVID-19 Scenario | Drive DeVilbiss Healthcare, Kaiyang Medical Technology, TOPRO -... - May 13th, 2020
- Gynecological Examination Tables Market Analysis and Demand with Forecast Overview to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 13th, 2020
- Global Medical Technologies (GMT) at the Forefront of Healthcare Innovations in the Philippines - MB TechNews - May 13th, 2020
- Virtual care in the age of COVID-19 and beyond - Health Europa - May 13th, 2020
- Interdisciplinary research study uses VR Technology to assess interprofessional communication in healthcare education - Nevada Today - May 9th, 2020
- 5 Reasons Why Vapotherm Will Keep Climbing - The Motley Fool - May 9th, 2020
- Biosense Webster Unveils Late-Breaking Results from PRECEPT Study in Patients with Persistent Atrial Fibrillation - BioSpace - May 9th, 2020
- Needle-Free Drug Delivery Devices Market 2020, Booms the Global Industry Growth at Impressive CAGR Over Forecast Period and Dominated by Key... - May 9th, 2020
- COVID-19 pushes healthcare technology transformation in Asia - ASEAN TODAY - May 9th, 2020
- Vancouver theatre being used as space to help create new medical equipment | Venture - Daily Hive - May 9th, 2020
- The Potential Impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) for Advent of Disruptive Technologies to Support the Growth of the ENT Diagnostic Devices Market During... - May 9th, 2020
- St. Luke's medical technology lab pivots to coronavirus response - The Gazette: Eastern Iowa Breaking News and Headlines - May 8th, 2020
- Tech experts: Widespread adoption of telemedicine, remote monitoring 'here to stay' - FierceHealthcare - May 8th, 2020
- Safe Orthopaedics enters into exclusive negotiations for the acquisition of LCI Medical - OrthoSpineNews - May 8th, 2020
- Wi-Fi at the Nightingale, virtual GP at carehomes, and new technologies related to COVID-19 - MobiHealthNews - May 8th, 2020
- New Data Unveiled at Heart Rhythm 2020 Demonstrate Effectiveness of App-Based Remote Monitoring of Medtronic Cardiac Devices, Significant Reduction in... - May 8th, 2020
- Camber Spine Technologies Announces Nationwide Launch of SPIRA-C Integrated and FORTICO Anterior Cervical Plate - OrthoSpineNews - May 8th, 2020
- The Benefits of Tech Even Those That Don't Cut Costs - The Tech Report - May 8th, 2020
- Pro Medicus: Healthcare IT Developer With Impressive Growth Story - Seeking Alpha - May 8th, 2020
- Michael Schmertzler Joins the Board of ViralClear Pharmaceuticals, a Majority-Owned Subsidiary of BioSig Technologies, Inc. - GlobeNewswire - May 8th, 2020
- Global Disposable Glove Market Insights (2020 to 2025) - Analysis and Forecasts by Manufacturers, Regions, Technology, Application & Product Type... - May 8th, 2020
- Heated Breathing Circuits Market Size, Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends and Forecast to 2026 | Teleflex Incorporated, Armstrong... - May 8th, 2020
- Latest Research on Hospital Furnitures Market 2020 by Application, Industry Share, End User with top players Stryker, Bio Medical Solutions, GPC... - May 8th, 2020
- Huge Growth Excepted in Cystometry Catheters Market in Upcoming Years Complete Analysis by 2020-2027 Profiling Top Key Players Amecath, Andromeda,... - May 8th, 2020
- It is impossible to get out of stock! The production speed of masks is far beyond your imagination! - ADOTAS - May 8th, 2020
- Fiagon partners with Smith+Nephew to distribute its ENT surgical navigation portfolio in the Asia Pacific region - BioSpace - May 6th, 2020
- AdvaMed launches platform to help scale the production and distribution of ventilators - Medical Plastics News - May 6th, 2020
- AdvaMed Announces VentConnect Online Platform to Scale the Production and Distribution of Ventilators - Business Wire - May 6th, 2020
- What is driving the Interventional Fluoroscopy Systems? Market size? Key players are EMD Medical Technologies, GE Healthcare, Lepu Medical Technology,... - May 6th, 2020
- Outlook on the Worldwide Sleep Apnea Therapeutic & Diagnostic Devices Industry to 2024 - Insights & Forecast with Potential Impact of COVID-19... - May 6th, 2020
- Orthopedic Surgery Instrument Market 2020 Latest Innovations, Trends, Growth Factors and Opportunities by 2026 | Orthofix, Wright Medical Technology,... - May 6th, 2020
- Transcutaneous Bilirubinometer Market 2020 Economic Impact and Future Prospects | Aegis Medical Innovations, Delta Medical International, Drgerwerk... - May 6th, 2020
- U.S. Arms Makers and Medical Device Firms Team Up to Make Ventilators - The New York Times - May 6th, 2020
- Biotech and Investment Veteran Dennis Purcell Joins the Board of ViralClear Pharmaceuticals, a majority-owned subsidiary of BioSig Technologies, Inc.... - May 6th, 2020