The medical industry is finding new solutions every year to combat healthcare cost and provide better care. With new connected and IoT devices, wearables are getting a lot of attention. Technologies are now available with digital platforms that offer a new way to quantify human movement for health and safety.
Firms such as StrongArm Technologies are using technology to track human movement. Its goals are to keep workers or, as CEO and founder Sean Petterson calls them, industrial athletes, safe. One of the companys products can wirelessly track a workers movements and send notifications if a worker might be overexerting themselves. A connected platform can also suggest taking a break or stretching exercise to reduce the likelihood of injuries and fatigue.
Dr. Nan-Wei Gong isCEO of the startup FIGUR8. Her company is offering a new technology in wearables that might find its way into helping the medical but, like StrongArm Technologies, could find its way in helping the manufacturing and other industries.
Tracking the human body can be difficult. Fortunately, there are creative researchers such as Gong to find solutions. Movement is not only acceleration, rotation, inertia, etc. Tracking soft tissue like muscle deformation offers a way of quantifying movement, injuries, fatigue, and other factors. However, stretchy ductile materials can present certain challenges.
Accelerometers and gyroscopes can track movement but cant collect data on soft tissue deformation. This is one of the innovations MIT and Massachusetts General Hospital for five years, and Gongs company has worked on for the last two-and-a-half years to understand the science, calibrate the sensors, and bringing the technology to market with other partners.
This flexible tracking sensor is entering the market. Gong is looking for collaborators and companies to see just how far this innovative technology could go toward improving healthcare.
Electromyography (EMG) is an electrodiagnostic medicine technique for evaluating and recording the electrical activity produced by muscles. Some exoskeleton and prosthetics have used EMG to see if it is possible to have human electrical signals communicate to mechanical actuators. However, EMG normally needs clean contact with the skin that may require shaving. Additionally, collecting electrical signals from a human body requires a lot of filtering.
Therefore, Gong and researchers used mechanomyography (MMG) technology instead. Using a conductive, stretchable polymer that can measure impedance was able to track surface deformation. This technology can also be attached quickly and easily without the need to clean or shave the area. As the patient moves the polymer stretches and software can use the change in impedance to determine the deformation of soft tissue.
Gong says elite athletes and physical therapy offices could use this technology to create a baseline for patients and track performance overtime. FIGUR8 has devised movements to engage different muscle groups that can generate reports indicating performance and any progression. This might allow an athlete to track their flexibility, an older patient to track joint mobility, or a warehouse worker to limit fatigue and injury. Ultimately, tracking movement with soft tissue deformation offers a quantifiable tool for doctors to track movement and document it overtime.
This solution uses accelerometers, inertial measuring units, gyroscopes, magnetometers, and the surface deformation sensor in a wireless package that can be applied and taken off easily. Gong say the technology is new, but has the potential to move outside of physical therapy offices and into other industries.
With worker data such as StrongArm is using and new technology such as what FIGUR8 has brought to market athletes, workers, the elderly, and others could get real-time reports, notifications, and even workout suggestions to keep the human body moving in a healthy direction.
- Can you trust mHealth apps? Why transparency is a must - American Medical Association - November 18th, 2019
- Nisonic Demonstrates Automatic Measurements of Optic Nerve Sheath Diameter as a Marker for Increased Intracranial Pressure Using Transorbital... - November 18th, 2019
- How Is Nanotech Reshaping the Medical Technology Sector? - Medical Tech Outlook - November 18th, 2019
- David Crais of CMG Carealytics Invited to NASA Cross Industry Innovation Summit - Benzinga - November 18th, 2019
- Shadowless Lamps Market will be grow in the upcoming year with players Greetmed, Aeomed, Mindray, BenQ Medical Technology - Daily Market Insight - November 18th, 2019
- Global Oxygen Regulator Market Insights Report 2019-2025 : Precision Medical, Harris, Essex Industries, Acare Technology - Industry News Time 24 - November 18th, 2019
- Research Roundup: Peanut allergies, heart disease treatments and wearable technology - The Stanford Daily - November 18th, 2019
- Private health insurers accused of lying about costs to raise premiums - 7NEWS - November 18th, 2019
- Title Wearable technology in healthcare: What are the leading themes? - Medical Device Network - November 18th, 2019
- ITM and CIRC Sign Technology License Agreement for the Production and Distribution of Medical Radioisotopes in China - Business Wire - November 18th, 2019
- Freudenberg Medical Achieves Break-through in Measurement Technology for Silicone Tubes with Helix iMC - Business Wire - November 12th, 2019
- Bridging the gap: Using technology to maintain patient contact - Medical Economics - November 12th, 2019
- Want to know your mental health status? There's an app for that - CU Boulder Today - November 12th, 2019
- Gets Its Catalyst And Trades Up::Creative Medical Technology Holdings Inc, (OTC US:CELZ) - News Planets - November 12th, 2019
- The Russian Military Will Soon Assign Soldiers Based on Their "Genetic Passports" - The National Interest Online - November 12th, 2019
- Hospital Furnitures Market Strategic Insights 2019 with analysis of Leading players: Stryker, Bio Medical Solutions, GPC Medical, Chang Gung Medical... - November 12th, 2019
- Is Computer-Vision the New Ground-Breaking Technology in the... - Medical Tech Outlook - November 12th, 2019
- BD Submits Pre-Market Approval Supplement to FDA for BD Onclarity HPV Test with Extended Genotyping Capabilities - PRNewswire - November 12th, 2019
- Rumor Claims Olympus will Shut Down Its Camera Division Within a Year - PetaPixel - November 12th, 2019
- InVivo Therapeutics Announces Appointment of Robert Rosenthal to Board of Directors - OrthoSpineNews - November 12th, 2019
- Global Cardiology Information System (CIS) Market Key Players and Share by 2025| CREALIFE Medical Technology and others - Market News Reports - November 12th, 2019
- How to have the right sensor for your medical IoT job - Medical Design & Outsourcing - November 12th, 2019
- Synaptive Ventures To the Spinal Surgery Market with Modus V - Medical Tech Outlook - November 12th, 2019
- Why DuPont will be at both Medica and Compamed - Medical Plastics News - November 12th, 2019
- Insights from Cathy Burzik's 40 years in the healthcare industry - Medical Design & Outsourcing - November 10th, 2019
- New Stanford hospital to open one week from today - Scope - November 10th, 2019
- Community Bank of Raymore Takes Position in Stryker Co. (NYSE:SYK) - Polson News - November 10th, 2019
- Cannabis industry is drawing big-name investors in R.I. - The Providence Journal - November 10th, 2019
- Avita Medical share price on watch after being added to the ASX 200 - Yahoo Finance - November 10th, 2019
- Head to Head Survey: Apyx Medical (NASDAQ:APYX) and AdvanSource Biomaterials Corpration (NASDAQ:ASNB) - Riverton Roll - November 10th, 2019
- Why Medicine Needs a New Hippocratic Oathand What It Should Be - Singularity Hub - November 8th, 2019
- Global SMT Equipment Market 2019-2023: Progression in Self-Driven Cars, Growth in Medical Technology, Increasing Smart Home Spending, Budding... - November 8th, 2019
- How Is the Medical Industry Using Deep Learning? - Business.com - November 8th, 2019
- Latest trends in medical monitoring devices and wearable health technology - Business Insider India - November 8th, 2019
- American Headache Society Publishes Article Demonstrating the Promise of Remote Electrical Neuromodulation (REN) as First-Line Treatment for Acute... - November 8th, 2019
- Townsen Memorial Clinics Now Open in Houston and Humble - PR Web - November 8th, 2019
- Compamed 2019: Everything you need to know - Medical Plastics News - November 8th, 2019
- CannGoods bridging the gap between hemp growers and off-take customers with its new tech - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - November 8th, 2019
- Conformis Announces FDA Clearance and Full Commercial Launch of Next Generation Hip System at the 2019 AAHKS Conference - OrthoSpineNews - November 8th, 2019
- EMMAC Life Sciences expanding on its medical cannabis acquisitions in London, Portugal, and Spain - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - November 8th, 2019
- A snapshot of the global patent landscape in eight charts - IAM - November 8th, 2019
- Olympus Now the Exclusive Distributor of the RocaFlow Pump and Tubing Sets - The Reporter - November 5th, 2019
- Adam Ferrari Highlights the Treatments and Medical Technology for Spinal Injuries utilized by Next Steps of Chicago - PRUnderground - November 5th, 2019
- Axonics Responds to Patent Action by Medtronic - Business Wire - November 5th, 2019
- Four-Year Data From the IN.PACT Global Study Highlight Durable Performance and Safety of IN.PACT Admiral DCB - Vascular Disease Management - November 5th, 2019
- The 10 Luxury Wellness Escapes You'll Want to Book for 2020 - TownandCountrymag.com - November 5th, 2019
- Detection Technology Awarded ISO 13485-2016 Certification for Medical Flat Panel Detectors - Imaging Technology News - November 5th, 2019
- Europe Pacemakers Market to 2027 - Regional Analysis and Forecasts By Product Type, Technology, End User, and Country - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - November 5th, 2019
- Cardiac Monitoring (CM) & Cardiac Rhythm Management (CRM) Devices Market Opportunities to 2024 - World Market Projected to Exceed $25 Billion by... - November 5th, 2019
- RAD Technology Medical Systems Collaborates with Vanguard Healthcare Solutions to Bring Mobile Radiotherapy to Europe - P&T Community - November 5th, 2019
- Misonix to Participate in Three Upcoming Investor Conferences - Associated Press - November 5th, 2019
- NYC Marathon Runners Turning To Intensive Medical Technology To Reach Peak Performance - CBS New York - October 28th, 2019
- Judge to hear motion aiming to temporarily shut down Newton County plant - CBS46 News Atlanta - October 28th, 2019
- 3Ms Shares Could Cross $200 Next Year Thanks To Acelity Acquisition - Forbes - October 28th, 2019
- Neuronetics and Success TMS Partner to Increase Patient Access to Leading Depression Treatment, NeuroStar Advanced Therapy - The Courier-Express - October 28th, 2019
- Medical Device Security Market Growth Analysis 2019 to Share Key Aspects of the Industry with the details of Influence Factors Forecast to 2024 -... - October 28th, 2019
- Where Are The Medical CIOs Investing? - Medical Tech Outlook - October 28th, 2019
- What We Know About the Man Accused of Stabbing His Mother to Death in a Plainville Kitchen - NBC10 Boston - October 28th, 2019
- Medical billing is a nightmare, but start-up Ooda is working to make it way easier, and some insurers are optimistic - CNBC - October 28th, 2019
- 10 Medical Advances That Will Shape the Future of Healthcare - Discover Magazine - October 28th, 2019
- OraSure simplifies medical testing worldwide. Why the CEO says theyre still based in Bethlehem. - lehighvalleylive.com - October 28th, 2019
- The real horror this Halloween is the FDA's drug approval process | TheHill - The Hill - October 28th, 2019
- These Apps Say You May Have a Health Disorder. What if Theyre Wrong? - The New York Times - October 28th, 2019
- Private health insurers say cost of medical devices putting pressure on premiums - The Guardian - October 28th, 2019
- Misonix to Report Fiscal 2020 First Quarter Financial Results and Host Conference Call and Webcast on November 7 - GlobeNewswire - October 28th, 2019
- GTX merges with NeuroRecovery Technologies to form GTX medical BV - Medical Device Network - October 28th, 2019
- The Future of Proton Beam Therapy - Nature World News - October 28th, 2019
- X-Ray Detectors Market Report Extensive Analysis 2019 | Specified by Production, Technology, Competition, and Revenue Forecast till 2024 - Elamal News - October 28th, 2019
- PhenoMx executes MOU to develop strategic initiatives for Thailand's biotech, life sciences and medical industries - The New Economy - October 28th, 2019
- Why collaboration is key for the medtech industry to deliver life-saving innovations - create digital - October 28th, 2019
- Members Move Medicine: Tackling the underlying barriers to care - American Medical Association - October 28th, 2019
- Microspheres Market 2019 | Remarkable Growth Factors with Industry Size & Share, New Innovations of Leading Players & Forecast till 2024 -... - October 28th, 2019
- Safe Orthopaedics Announces the Approvals of SteriSpine LC and CC in Japan - Business Wire - October 28th, 2019
- Axonics Broadens EU Commercial Footprint with Recommendation for Reimbursement in France and Supply Contract in Norway - Business Wire - October 7th, 2019
- Medtronic Initiates Worldwide Pivotal Study of a New Approach to Treating Dangerously Fast Heart Rhythms - GlobeNewswire - October 7th, 2019
- TE Connectivity Collaborates With Hanhaa and Avnet to Advance Smart Tracking - PRNewswire - October 7th, 2019
- CONMED Corporation to Announce Third Quarter 2019 Financial Results on October 30, 2019 - BioSpace - October 7th, 2019
- UI graduate student works to commercialize drug that prevents osteoarthritis - UI The Daily Iowan - October 7th, 2019
- Medical Technologist Job in Multiple Locations - Department of the Air Force - LemonWire - October 7th, 2019
- Artificial Joints Market Research and New Innovations in Medical Sector 2019 to 2025 - The Chicago Sentinel - October 7th, 2019