The biggest companies in the medical technology space are well-capitalized global players with a wide array of other businesses that support the expensive research and development costs of this new frontier.
PhonlamaiPhoto/iStockPhoto / Getty Images
As the health-care sector further embraces robotic tools to make surgeries less invasive and painful, opportunities abound for investors. This growing technology is leading to faster healing times and shorter hospital stays, which makes patients happier and gives health-care providers a way to contain rising costs.
Theres a multi-billion dollar potential for surgical robotics over the next 10 years, says Brandon Henry, a medical supplies and devices analyst with RBC Capital Markets in New York. Its going to be a growth market for a very long time and we are [only] in the early stages.
The notion of robots might conjure up images of the walking, talking machines found in science fiction movies. But medical robots are far simpler. Think of a Canadarm-like device performing repetitive tasks guided by a doctor. The tasks are relatively simple but are done safely, efficiently and accurately.
Story continues below advertisement
Canada has few heavyweights in the health-care sector and no large players in surgical and medical devices. Of the 10 companies included in the S&P/TSX Capped Health Care Index, half are cannabis companies while three are involved in assisted living and nursing homes.
Toronto-based Titan Medical Inc. (TDM-T) is a startup thats listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange and is developing a surgical robot. It has interesting prospects, but no revenue yet.
So, investors have to look elsewhere. The United States dominates with the biggest public companies in the medical technology space. These are well-capitalized global players with a wide array of other businesses that support the expensive research and development costs of this new frontier. They pay dividends and their share prices offer conservative growth.
Mr. Henry says the U.S. is the biggest market for installations of medical robots, followed by Western Europe, Japan and China. In terms of the number of procedures performed each year, the U.S. and China rank first and second, respectively.
The machines are expensive and Canadian surgeons would like more of them. But theyre hard to come by in this country, says Dr. James Drake, surgeon-in-chief at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto.
Funding them in a not-for-profit system is challenging, he says, even though theres plenty of interest in robots because of their potential to improve lives.
These machines will enhance what surgeons can do, Dr. Drake says. They allow surgeons to concentrate on the important stuff and not be concerned about the things that machines do so much better.
Story continues below advertisement
Story continues below advertisement
As an example, Dr. Drake, who is a neurosurgeon, cites the surgical procedure for placing electrodes in an epilepsy patients brain. The electrodes must be placed precisely and the most common way to do it is by fitting a metal frame over the skull an apparatus developed 60 years ago. The frame has 15 electrodes, with each electrode having five adjustments for a total of 75 combinations.
They have to be absolutely correct; every adjustment has to be absolutely right, Dr. Drake says. As you can imagine, thats very challenging. The robot avoids all that. It goes in sequence exactly where you tell it to. It sounds very simple, but [this technology] solves a very important problem.
Mr. Henry says the use of robots in general surgery is growing by 15 to 20 per cent annually. They were introduced about a decade ago and the first procedures involved heart surgery, kidney ailments and prostate surgeries.
It started [with those surgeries] because theyre procedures with a narrow channel, [for which] you can use a robot for visualization. They allow surgeons to see things that would otherwise be difficult to see, he says.
Mr. Henry says robots have spread from general surgeries to hips and knees, with spinal surgery also growing. Each area has its own needs and the robots are developed specifically for each task.
But nothing is really automated at this point, he says. Surgeons are controlling the robotic arms at a console. The arms may have instruments attached, which can make incisions. If the surgeon strays from the optimal position, the robot will sense it and issue a warning.
Story continues below advertisement
The leader in general surgical robots is Sunnyvale, Calif.-based Intuitive Surgical Inc. (ISRG-Q), which has a market capitalization of US$62.6-billion. Its one of the most profitable companies in our coverage universe, Mr. Henry says.
Medtronic PLC (MDT-N), the worlds largest medical device company, is second in this space. Medtronic has a market cap of US$144.1-billion and operates in 140 countries, but generates most of its sales and profits in the U.S. (The company is based in Dublin for tax purposes but its operational headquarters are in Minneapolis.)
In third, he says, is New Brunswick, N.J.-based Johnson & Johnson Services Inc. (JNJ-N), which has teamed up with Alphabet Inc. (GOOGL-Q) to create Verb Surgical Inc. Verb Surgical combines Johnson & Johnsons tools with Alphabets data analytics, but has no revenue yet. Other players include Stryker Corp. (SYK-N), a leader in hip and knee surgery, and Zimmer Biomet Holdings Inc. (ZBH-N) of Warsaw, Ind.
The next frontier is the early detection and treatment of lung cancers, avoiding the painful surgery now required to treat them, Mr. Henry says. Probes with cameras are commonly used and take biopsies. Whats coming is the ability to remove cancerous tissue and cauterize the wound.
Thats the hope in the next five years, he says.
As for Dr. Drake, hes not worried about being replaced by a machine any time soon.
Story continues below advertisement
Its a long way off if it ever comes at all, he says.
Adam Mayers is a contributing editor to the Internet Wealth Builder investment newsletter.
- Deep01 Closes Fundraising Led by ASUS and Received the First Purchase Order of Their AI-Based Medical Device in Taiwan - PRNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- Vacuum Cupping Market Comprehensive Insights 2020 to 2026: Kangzhu, Hwato, BeiJing GuoYiYan Medical Technology and Medical Instrument CO., LTD - Cole... - June 24th, 2020
- World Market for Medical Sensors to 2027 and the Impact of Covid-19 - GlobeNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- Laidlaw Venture Partners Continues Strategic Growth with Addition of Jeff Conroy and George Serafin to its Board of Advisors - cnweekly - June 24th, 2020
- How Adopting Factory of the Future Technology Will Help in Medical... - Medical Tech Outlook - June 24th, 2020
- N95 Face Masks Get Pathogen Killing Technology with Addition of New UVC Medical Device - HospiMedica - June 24th, 2020
- This New App Analyzes Your Voice Quality To Diagnose Congestive Heart Failure: Can It Help With Covid-19? - Forbes - June 24th, 2020
- Hospital Furnitures Market | Covid-19 Impact | Demand, Cost Structures, Latest trends, and Forecasts to 2026 | Stryker, Bio Medical Solutions, GPC... - June 24th, 2020
- Securing best distributor is key to commercialisation in the medical field - Small Caps - June 24th, 2020
- MWE receives 1.45m loan to help fight COVID-19 - Med-Tech Innovation - June 24th, 2020
- Immigration Advice Service: the limits of technology in healthcare - Health Europa - June 24th, 2020
- Capillary Blood Collection Devices Market to See Booming Ahead | Global Players are Radiometer Medical ApS, Sarstedt AG & Co, Becton, Dickinson... - June 24th, 2020
- Spine Biologics Market 2020: Challenges, Growth, Types, Applications, Revenue, Insights, Growth Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast- 2025 - Cole... - June 24th, 2020
- Biocept reaches deal to cover out-of-network patients for its liquid biopsy tests - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - June 24th, 2020
- Global Medical Device Software Testing Services Market 2020: Which technology is expected to trend higher? - 3rd Watch News - June 24th, 2020
- Global Medical Imaging Information System Market 2020 Trends, Industry Size, Share, Technology Demand, Growth Drivers and 2026 Forecast Overview -... - June 24th, 2020
- Securing Medical Technology in the Age of COVID-19 - Infosecurity Magazine - June 5th, 2020
- Lumenis MOSES Technology Wins 2020 MedTech Breakthrough Award for Innovation in Surgical Technology - Yahoo Finance - June 5th, 2020
- BioSig Technologies's PURE EP System to be Presented in Heart Rhythm Society 2020 Science Sessions - GlobeNewswire - June 5th, 2020
- The European Medical Device market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 4.7 % between 2020 and 2025. - PRNewswire - June 5th, 2020
- Do OTAs need more regulation? - Washington Technology - June 5th, 2020
- Neuronetics to Present at the William Blair 40th Annual Growth Stock Conference - GlobeNewswire - June 5th, 2020
- 2020 Assessment of the Infectious Diseases Diagnostics Market and Impact of COVID-19 - Growing Number of COVID-19 Tests, Rise in Adoption of AI in... - June 5th, 2020
- Medical Central Gas Station Market Global Insights and Trends to 2026 | Medicoengineering doo, zmc Medical Devices and Medical Gas Systems, INSPITAL... - June 5th, 2020
- Rockford Psychiatric Medical Services provides positive feedback on the use of Nexstim NBT system with theta burst protocol for treatment of... - June 5th, 2020
- Impact of Corona on Medical Ceramics Market : How much will be the total production? - Cole of Duty - June 5th, 2020
- Digital Health Market is Likely to Exhibit Significant CAGR; Rising Popularity of Real-time Solutions will Promote Growth says Fortune Business... - June 5th, 2020
- Lakehead researchers teaming with high-tech firm on medical scheduling software - Northern Ontario Business - June 5th, 2020
- Soft Tissue Market: In-Depth Industry Analysis and Trends Analysis till 2030 - Cole of Duty - June 5th, 2020
- Bioresorbable Scaffold Market 2020 | Know the Latest COVID19 Impact Analysis And Strategies of Key Players: L-3 Communications Holdings, Inc., Hr... - June 5th, 2020
- Top 5 Major End User industries will boost the growth of Smart Pills Technology Market - Cole of Duty - June 5th, 2020
- Medical Tourism Market 2020 Latest Trending Technology, Growing Demand, Application, Types, Services, Regional Analysis and Forecast to 2025 - Cole of... - June 5th, 2020
- Hysteroscopic Endometrial Resection Procedures Market Trends Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Shares, Growth Opportunities, Statistics & Forecast to... - June 5th, 2020
- Amid the COVID-19 crisis and the looming economic recession, the Mannequin-Based Simulation market worldwide will grow by a projected US$3.7 Billion,... - June 5th, 2020
- The Ten Hottest Medical Technologies in 2019 - May 13th, 2020
- Technology engineered at ASU 50 years ago helps battle COVID-19 - ASU Now - May 13th, 2020
- Enhancing recovery: the rise of medical technology in sport - Medical Device Network - May 13th, 2020
- U.S. Officials: Beware Of China And Others Trying To Steal COVID-19 Research - NPR - May 13th, 2020
- How is the pandemic changing investments in HR tech? - Human Resource Executive - May 13th, 2020
- Global Hospital Beds Market (2020 to 2025) - Outlook and Forecast - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 13th, 2020
- Safe Orthopaedics Announces the Registration of Several Trademarks in Japan - OrthoSpineNews - May 13th, 2020
- Brian Wagner: We need leadership to protect us - Loveland Reporter-Herald - May 13th, 2020
- Scientists are racing to design a face mask that can rip coronavirus apart - Fast Company - May 13th, 2020
- Medical Disinfection and Sterilization Equipment Market Valuation 2020 | Key Trends, Growth Drivers, In Depth Analysis, Solution and Businesss... - May 13th, 2020
- Medical Perfusion Technology Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - 3rd Watch News - May 13th, 2020
- The U.S. Army Wants Wearable Tech That Detects the Coronavirus - Popular Mechanics - May 13th, 2020
- Global Medical Rollator Walker Market 2020 Business Outlook with COVID-19 Scenario | Drive DeVilbiss Healthcare, Kaiyang Medical Technology, TOPRO -... - May 13th, 2020
- Gynecological Examination Tables Market Analysis and Demand with Forecast Overview to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 13th, 2020
- Global Medical Technologies (GMT) at the Forefront of Healthcare Innovations in the Philippines - MB TechNews - May 13th, 2020
- Virtual care in the age of COVID-19 and beyond - Health Europa - May 13th, 2020
- Interdisciplinary research study uses VR Technology to assess interprofessional communication in healthcare education - Nevada Today - May 9th, 2020
- 5 Reasons Why Vapotherm Will Keep Climbing - The Motley Fool - May 9th, 2020
- Biosense Webster Unveils Late-Breaking Results from PRECEPT Study in Patients with Persistent Atrial Fibrillation - BioSpace - May 9th, 2020
- Needle-Free Drug Delivery Devices Market 2020, Booms the Global Industry Growth at Impressive CAGR Over Forecast Period and Dominated by Key... - May 9th, 2020
- COVID-19 pushes healthcare technology transformation in Asia - ASEAN TODAY - May 9th, 2020
- Vancouver theatre being used as space to help create new medical equipment | Venture - Daily Hive - May 9th, 2020
- The Potential Impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) for Advent of Disruptive Technologies to Support the Growth of the ENT Diagnostic Devices Market During... - May 9th, 2020
- St. Luke's medical technology lab pivots to coronavirus response - The Gazette: Eastern Iowa Breaking News and Headlines - May 8th, 2020
- Tech experts: Widespread adoption of telemedicine, remote monitoring 'here to stay' - FierceHealthcare - May 8th, 2020
- Safe Orthopaedics enters into exclusive negotiations for the acquisition of LCI Medical - OrthoSpineNews - May 8th, 2020
- Wi-Fi at the Nightingale, virtual GP at carehomes, and new technologies related to COVID-19 - MobiHealthNews - May 8th, 2020
- New Data Unveiled at Heart Rhythm 2020 Demonstrate Effectiveness of App-Based Remote Monitoring of Medtronic Cardiac Devices, Significant Reduction in... - May 8th, 2020
- Camber Spine Technologies Announces Nationwide Launch of SPIRA-C Integrated and FORTICO Anterior Cervical Plate - OrthoSpineNews - May 8th, 2020
- The Benefits of Tech Even Those That Don't Cut Costs - The Tech Report - May 8th, 2020
- Pro Medicus: Healthcare IT Developer With Impressive Growth Story - Seeking Alpha - May 8th, 2020
- Michael Schmertzler Joins the Board of ViralClear Pharmaceuticals, a Majority-Owned Subsidiary of BioSig Technologies, Inc. - GlobeNewswire - May 8th, 2020
- Global Disposable Glove Market Insights (2020 to 2025) - Analysis and Forecasts by Manufacturers, Regions, Technology, Application & Product Type... - May 8th, 2020
- Heated Breathing Circuits Market Size, Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends and Forecast to 2026 | Teleflex Incorporated, Armstrong... - May 8th, 2020
- Latest Research on Hospital Furnitures Market 2020 by Application, Industry Share, End User with top players Stryker, Bio Medical Solutions, GPC... - May 8th, 2020
- Huge Growth Excepted in Cystometry Catheters Market in Upcoming Years Complete Analysis by 2020-2027 Profiling Top Key Players Amecath, Andromeda,... - May 8th, 2020
- It is impossible to get out of stock! The production speed of masks is far beyond your imagination! - ADOTAS - May 8th, 2020
- Fiagon partners with Smith+Nephew to distribute its ENT surgical navigation portfolio in the Asia Pacific region - BioSpace - May 6th, 2020
- AdvaMed launches platform to help scale the production and distribution of ventilators - Medical Plastics News - May 6th, 2020
- AdvaMed Announces VentConnect Online Platform to Scale the Production and Distribution of Ventilators - Business Wire - May 6th, 2020
- What is driving the Interventional Fluoroscopy Systems? Market size? Key players are EMD Medical Technologies, GE Healthcare, Lepu Medical Technology,... - May 6th, 2020
- Outlook on the Worldwide Sleep Apnea Therapeutic & Diagnostic Devices Industry to 2024 - Insights & Forecast with Potential Impact of COVID-19... - May 6th, 2020
- Orthopedic Surgery Instrument Market 2020 Latest Innovations, Trends, Growth Factors and Opportunities by 2026 | Orthofix, Wright Medical Technology,... - May 6th, 2020
- Transcutaneous Bilirubinometer Market 2020 Economic Impact and Future Prospects | Aegis Medical Innovations, Delta Medical International, Drgerwerk... - May 6th, 2020
- U.S. Arms Makers and Medical Device Firms Team Up to Make Ventilators - The New York Times - May 6th, 2020
- Biotech and Investment Veteran Dennis Purcell Joins the Board of ViralClear Pharmaceuticals, a majority-owned subsidiary of BioSig Technologies, Inc.... - May 6th, 2020